You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jastro1

CV Gameplay: Where Should I Go Next?

10 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
237 battles

Hi,

I am a complete noob here, so quick introduction to my position:

I'm new to WoWs, but having played WT a lot over the last couple of years, learning the basics hasn't been *toooo* difficult. I've found carriers are (for me!) the most enjoyable part of the game, and I want to have a good line of CVs I can progress through and enjoy. As I was concentrating on the US TT to start with, currently, I have the Langley and Bogue CVs. I recently got a 50k Free XP super-container, the remains of which will allow me to get the Independence in a few matches. 

I have heard a lot about Japanese CVs being very good, especially at mid to high tiers. I believe I have just about enough Free XP to unlock the 1st Japanese carrier. Should I go ahead and open up the Japanese line, or continue to concentrate on the US one?

P.S. I'm aware that the next CV in the US line will have manual strafes/attacks enabled (its tier VI). Is this something I should master on US or Japanese CVs?

Thanks for looking! :) 

• Cool 1

[WONLY]
Players
428 posts
16,698 battles
34 minutes ago, Jastro1 said:

Hi,

I'm new to WoWs, but having played WT a lot over the last couple of years, learning the basics hasn't been *toooo* difficult. I've found carriers are (for me!) the most enjoyable part of the game, and I want to have a good line of CVs I can progress through and enjoy. As I was concentrating on the US TT to start with, currently, I have the Langley and Bogue CVs. I recently got a 50k Free XP super-container, the remains of which will allow me to get the Independence in a few matches. 

I have heard a lot about Japanese CVs being very good, especially at mid to high tiers. I believe I have just about enough Free XP to unlock the 1st Japanese carrier. Should I go ahead and open up the Japanese line, or continue to concentrate on the US one?

P.S. I'm aware that the next CV in the US line will have manual strafes/attacks enabled (its tier VI). Is this something I should master on US or Japanese CVs?

t6 is pretty even

t7 ijn advantage

t8 ijn advantage

t9 ijn advantage, close though

t10 us advantage

so just for learning, us might be better due to lesser micromanagement. but the t7 and the t8 are really bad though, so you might suffer a bit while grinding them. on the other hand, midway waits at the end of the line. it's a broken ship right now with hilarious strike power.

strafing and manual drops...once you learned them, you can pull them off on both tech lines.

oh and never play the IJN AS cancer setups, many cv-noobs fall for that garbage...pls don't.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,576 posts
20,730 battles

Indy is serviceable at her tier. She can hold her own against even AS Ryujo if needed.

Both Ranger and Lexington are vastly outperformed by their IJN counterparts.

Essex enjoys a slight edge in air control over Taiho but has vastly inferior striking capability.

Midway is pretty much on par with Haku, having slightly better air control but slightly inferior firepower.

Honestly I'd recommend switching to IJN CVs. The lessons learned with IJN CVs are transferable, the ones with USN on the other hand not for the most part.

If you have any further questions, feel free to stop by in the CV section of the forums.

[WONLY]
Players
428 posts
16,698 battles
11 minutes ago, Jastro1 said:

Hi,

So Japanese CVs seem to have more Sqns. I'm assuming that will give a big advantage?

It makes them more flexible if you can take advantage of it. the two fighter squadrons on t7/t8 are indeed a huge advantage. Also IJN CVs have much faster servicing times which makes them even more flexible.
US CVs have more planes in one squadron and the planes are more durable (besides TB on essex and midway since they are t8 for balancing reasons).
US bombers can deal a huge amount of damage while IJN bombers do pitiful damage. You use them mainly for setting fires or for killing off low HP DDs.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
1 hour ago, Jastro1 said:

Hi,

While midway is great overal IJN have better CVs

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles

Another advice: Don't use the Free-XP to get the next CV, use it to upgrade hull and planes after you got the next CV. Cause you really don't want to play a CV stock.

Players
3 posts
237 battles

Hi,

The fighters are being a bit painful, but otherwise, the flexibility that multiple torpedo squadrons give is amazing! This was almost my first +100k match! Thank you everyone for the advice/opinions on the topic, it was really useful in deciding whether or not to try out the IJN line.

image.thumb.png.d89b25e3642abbd36d50d166b99ddec9.png

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
229 posts
9,693 battles

do yourself a favour and once you hit tier6 and the ability to manual attack/strafe go to coops and practice practice practice. Else the CV players out there will eat you alive. Been there done that, went to coop and now its less hard to hit stuff and avoid strafes.