You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tungstonid

Detonation change with 0.7.2

18 comments in this topic

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

So, I wondered why there wasn't a discussion (orsome kind of hallelujah thread) already. At least none I have seen so far.

According to the 0.7.2 patch notes, ships can no longer detonate as long as their HP are higher than 75%.

Spoiler

The explosion of a ship's magazine (detonation) now can happen only if the ship's remaining HP is 75% or less. This value used to be 100%, which sometimes caused embarrassing situations when the ship could be destroyed with the very first hit if it didn't have signal flag 'Juliet Charlie' 0bfaa210-0a80-11e8-b0b0-ac162d8bc1e4.png mounted. Now, the probability that you can suddenly lose your ship when you don't mount this signal has been significantly reduced.

While for some this won't be enough, it is at least a start.

However, I'd like to know if someone from the WG staff ( @MrConway?) can shed some light on an issue I have with this. To put it into a simple question: In what order is the damage of a shell and the chance for detonation applied?

To give a little more detail: If you first apply the damage of a shell (i.e. full penetration damage) and then roll for a detonation it should still be possible to detonate ships with 100% HP, especially DDs. If it is the other way around no 100% HP DD should ever be detonated as I think it is intended to work.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
1 minute ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Good thing I detonated a full hp tirp before this takes effect. Still don't like the idea to be honest. 

Of detonations or the change to the mechanics?

I'll prefer the new mechanics to the current one where even a near miss can detonate.

Players
1,084 posts
5,599 battles
Just now, BeauNidl3 said:

Of detonations or the change to the mechanics?

I'll prefer the new mechanics to the current one where even a near miss can detonate.

Change of the mechanics. The near miss will only detonate dds since they have no citadels, every other ship needs to be citadelled which makes this even more unlikely against km and RN bbs (except by torp). So once again the broadside potatoes are rewarded with not being able to be deleted on the first salvo.

Oh and can we please introduce cv detonations? There were enough in history to warrant that. 

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
11 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Change of the mechanics. The near miss will only detonate dds since they have no citadels, every other ship needs to be citadelled which makes this even more unlikely against km and RN bbs (except by torp). So once again the broadside potatoes are rewarded with not being able to be deleted on the first salvo.

Oh and can we please introduce cv detonations? There were enough in history to warrant that. 

That's not true, I got detonated from full HP, bow on angled by an HE round in my Cesare from a 152mm, no way that could have been a citadel hit, he only fired one salvo which was in the air, just before I deleted him as he was broadside. It wasn't fire from anyone else either as it was only him and me in the suicide alley C cap a few minutes in.

I don't know why you think it has to be a citadel hit to cause a detonation, I agree it should be.

I've also detonated cruisers and BB's without a citadel flag or torpedo hit, got one on a Tirpitz the other week with DD HE which sure as all hell can't citadel.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
3,956 battles
37 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

So, I wondered why there wasn't a discussion (orsome kind of hallelujah thread) already. At least none I have seen so far.

According to the 0.7.2 patch notes, ships can no longer detonate as long as their HP are higher than 75%.

Reveal hidden contents

While for some this won't be enough, it is at least a start.

However, I'd like to know if someone from the WG staff ( @MrConway?) can shed some light on an issue I have with this. To put it into a simple question: In what order is the damage of a shell and the chance for detonation applied?

To give a little more detail: If you first apply the damage of a shell (i.e. full penetration damage) and then roll for a detonation it should still be possible to detonate ships with 100% HP, especially DDs. If it is the other way around no 100% HP DD should ever be detonated as I think it is intended to work.

The detonation roll is applied with the damage application, so your DD should not detonate from 100% anymore (unless hit by multiple shells where the first ones get you below the threshold).

• Cool 1

[GW_KR]
Players
222 posts
21,239 battles
21 minutes ago, MrConway said:

unless hit by multiple shells where the first ones get you below the threshold

So you still gonna get detonated on the very first salvo that hit you.

Or with a single AP shell penetrating multiple parts of the ship and bringing you below the threshold on the first penetration.

REMOVE IT ALREADY !

• Cool 2

Players
6,242 posts
10,755 battles
27 minutes ago, MrConway said:

(unless hit by multiple shells where the first ones get you below the threshold).

That would indicate that prior to every shell hit, the HP is checked and if the HP is above the threshold, "detonation" is taken out of the 'RNG carussel' 

Is this correct?

Greetings

Players
1,084 posts
5,599 battles
14 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

That's not true, I got detonated from full HP, bow on angled by an HE round in my Cesare from a 152mm, no way that could have been a citadel hit, he only fired one salvo which was in the air, just before I deleted him as he was broadside. It wasn't fire from anyone else either as it was only him and me in the suicide alley C cap a few minutes in.

I don't know why you think it has to be a citadel hit to cause a detonation, I agree it should be.

I've also detonated cruisers and BB's without a citadel flag or torpedo hit, got one on a Tirpitz the other week with DD HE which sure as all hell can't citadel.

The scenario you are describing shouldn't be possible as cruisers and bbs have their magazines within their citadels/barbettes. Might be a specific thing about the Cesare. And torps and bombs don't give you citadel ribbons despite you hitting it. 

As for your dd HE claim: Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but do you have a replay of that one? 

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,897 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, dCK_Ad_Hominem sagte:

As for your dd HE claim: Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but do you have a replay of that one? 

A little bit older, but here:

Bm3O90E.gif

As for the mechanic: HE and AP work differently. AP does damage where it hits, so to detonate a ship, it has to hit the citadel where the magazin is.

But HE has splash damage, so it's enough if it hits close to the magazine. Therefore HE can detonate ships without citadel hits. Depending on the splash radius, even without a hit at all :fish_boom:

• Cool 1

Players
4,390 posts
12,087 battles

So if I get it right the first shell/ torp/ bomb hit will never cause a detonation?

Players
1,084 posts
5,599 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

A little bit older, but here:

Bm3O90E.gif

As for the mechanic: HE and AP work differently. AP does damage where it hits, so to detonate a ship, it has to hit the citadel where the magazin is.

But HE has splash damage, so it's enough if it hits close to the magazine. Therefore HE can detonate ships without citadel hits. Depending on the splash radius, even without a hit at all :fish_boom:

I stand corrected. Thank you. 

Players
1,913 posts
On 2/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, MrConway said:

The detonation roll is applied with the damage application, so your DD should not detonate from 100% anymore (unless hit by multiple shells where the first ones get you below the threshold).

hum hum. Can you please use your magical powers and force WG make it so people have to actually hit you for you to detonate? I mean. Cmon. I dodge and do everything right and i get rewarded with a detonation. I know about the splash dmg and all that. But COMEON!

:Smile_hiding:

shot-18_05.12_21_16.59-0929.thumb.jpg.dae1ddc31c357a38913cd6d64db0d417.jpg