MrConway

French Battleships

46 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
3,960 battles

Please leave any general feedback regarding the newly introduced French Battleships here.

2cc6775c-1576-11e8-94a5-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

[ITAAT]
Players
703 posts
On 2/28/2018 at 12:00 PM, MrConway said:

Please leave any general feedback regarding the newly introduced French Battleships here.

2cc6775c-1576-11e8-94a5-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Thanks MrConway,

I love french Battleships, Normandie is the kind of game play I like, as Richelieu that I tested in PT, but...

But after updating to 7.2 a bad surprise... the two Captains that I already grown in the previous days had both the Retrain reset!!!! Please fix it now, thank you!

Before they were Premium so I could move the Capt between the two as I did without retraining, but now it cost me more than before as he earned more Xp Points for the Normandie Captain. I wouldn't do it if I knew, did we knew by the way? I couldn't remind of any notice about it...

So please fix it or compensate in some way! Txs again!

2018-03-01_15h39_42.thumb.jpg.f9d00e0ceb4b44501802383af4959441.jpg2018-03-01_15h40_46.thumb.jpg.7aa3960168e0ce5d6cd376ee0161a70e.jpg

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
26 minutes ago, RedAnark said:
Spoiler

Thanks MrConway,

I love french Battleships, Normandie is the kind of game play I like, as Richelieu that I tested in PT, but...

But after updating to 7.2 a bad surprise... the two Captains that I already grown in the previous days had both the Retrain reset!!!! Please fix it now, thank you!

Before they were Premium so I could move the Capt between the two as I did without retraining, but now it cost me more than before as he earned more Xp Points for the Normandie Captain. I wouldn't do it if I knew, did we knew by the way? I couldn't remind of any notice about it...

2018-03-01_15h39_42.thumb.jpg.f9d00e0ceb4b44501802383af4959441.jpg2018-03-01_15h40_46.thumb.jpg.7aa3960168e0ce5d6cd376ee0161a70e.jpg

Unless you recruited those as new captains right on those ships it's working as intended.

[ITAAT]
Players
703 posts
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Unless you recruited those as new captains right on those ships it's working as intended.

No, as I wrote: yesterday I moved the Bretagne Capt to Normandie, as I got Normandie yesterday, while Bretagne a week ago. And, because they were Premium, I had no retraining. Then I played some battles with Normandie, and also I had a Premium day, so I grew quickly  more points for Normandie Capt (coming from Bretagne)

But now 0.7.2 , I had to restart retraining not for 5 points but for 8... and the Bretagne (Normandie original) one requires for 3 as you can see in the picts above... so it's not fair. is it? I want no retraining at all or some other compensation, like 20 Dragon flags to quickly retrain them... no?

[-TPF-]
Players
4,360 posts
18,216 battles

I played Turenne this morning and, er.... It's not so much a shotgun as a scattergun. I know the dispersion is the pay off for her other qualities but you might want to consider improving her basic ability to hit other ships and taking something else away. It's the first BB in the line and newer players are going to be put off completely if aiming and leading correctly (according to the target reticule) results in eight misses. 

Courbet, on the other hand - was she supposed to be Tier V? Lovely ship which - again - appears to have been given crummy dispersion to make up for her gun range. Not complaining, mind, but with better dispersion Paris might make a nice Premium V. 

It's not feedback, but while I'm thinking of the Courbet-class, can I just mention the "most French thing battleship thing ever" happened to one of these ships:

They spent most of the rest of 1914 providing gunfire support for the Montenegrin Army until U-12 hit Jean Bart on 21 December with one torpedo in the wine store....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courbet-class_battleship

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
6,501 battles

3 battles in with alsace, both the main as secondary guns are very easily disabled. Take main armaments mod 1 but the secondaries die in a few shots

And take secondary mod 1 and your main batteries get disabled with every shell

Not my friedrich nor missouri have the same issue

[U-35]
Beta Tester
50 posts
9,712 battles

Got tier X French BB, played only 2 games co-op but the ship felt realy god in terms of handling. Rear turret arch is very good, you can broadside with an angel towards your target. With right mods Main Gun reload is very fast, 21 sec✌️Got 19 points special captain trained for secondary build, 12,1 km, eats DD with manual fire in no time. We will See if the ship holds up in tier X random, first impretion the ship is gudbote.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,602 posts
13,884 battles

So far i am rather underwhelmed by the lackluster low tier Battleships Bretange and Courbert where a mighty pain to bring into action, 10 overpenetrations are the case most of the time they are not mobile, they aren't armored, the AP Alpha is a Joke, the fire chance as well why did they have to eat this monsterous dispersion to? :(  Really not very recommendable so far. 

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
3,960 battles
21 hours ago, RedAnark said:

Thanks MrConway,

If you simply moved other captains onto these ships during the last update, this is working as intended. You will have to retrain them for the ships if they come from another one originally.

[ITAAT]
Players
703 posts
10 hours ago, MrConway said:

If you simply moved other captains onto these ships during the last update, this is working as intended. You will have to retrain them for the ships if they come from another one originally.

Yes Admiral, I then got back to patch notes and red about it! Sorry! It was clearly written.

Players
364 posts

My opinion of this line is this: piss poor

All of these battlesips takes massive penetration damage, and their guns are really bad.

Never had so much issues getting over 100k in Gascogne and Alsace.....

Regret using FreeXP!

Alsace:  112,297 avg dmg | 133,564 highest dmg
Gascogne: 64,165 avg dmg | 93,157 highest dmg

These damage numbers represents my dispersion RNG.... even these are the worst ships based upon my stats.
Ships needs to be tweaked.... so easy to take damage, but very hard to give damage.

Just to put this into a different context:
Musashi: 138,628 avg dmg | 254,949 highest dmg

Missouri: 102,878 avg dmg | 257,903 highest dmg

Amagi: 80,100 avg dmg | 216,397 highest dmg
Bismarck: 78,223 avg dmg | 164,415 highest dmg
Alabama: 96,368 avg dmg | 200,118 highest dmg

• Bad 1

[CS_NL]
Players
10 posts
4,066 battles

What to say, total garbage ship, I have play several games and as is written up, regret using free XP. I will sell my République and play again after massive repair from WG!

• Cool 3

[BG681]
[BG681]
Players
17 posts
7 hours ago, PhantomSailor said:

My opinion of this line is this: piss poor

All of these battlesips takes massive penetration damage, and their guns are really bad.

Never had so much issues getting over 100k in Gascogne and Alsace.....

Regret using FreeXP!

Alsace:  112,297 avg dmg | 133,564 highest dmg
Gascogne: 64,165 avg dmg | 93,157 highest dmg

These damage numbers represents my dispersion RNG.... even these are the worst ships based upon my stats.
Ships needs to be tweaked.... so easy to take damage, but very hard to give damage.

Just to put this into a different context:
Musashi: 138,628 avg dmg | 254,949 highest dmg

Missouri: 102,878 avg dmg | 257,903 highest dmg

Amagi: 80,100 avg dmg | 216,397 highest dmg
Bismarck: 78,223 avg dmg | 164,415 highest dmg
Alabama: 96,368 avg dmg | 200,118 highest dmg

I don't know how do u play but these French BB's are way too overpowered ! Yamato seems like a puppy now. Kurfurst too... Every time they put a new ship's  line - there is a HUGE disbalance ! Maybe it's time to quit the game like i did  with World of Tanks !

• Cool 1

Players
10 posts
8,423 battles

Play the Cascogne and the Richelieu. Nice shipt to play.

Only comment concerns the guns ...... struggle to pen and do normal damage ..... mostly 1000 points on a AP shell ... little low is it not?

Arold

• Cool 1

[MTM]
Players
5 posts
12,395 battles

The citadel setup of the TIER X Republiqe is sadly bad.

It can be even citadelled by Des Moines and Henri etc. from 18 kms.

Thanks, please fix.

• Cool 2

[_I_]
Players
13 posts
19,662 battles

Tier 5 average

Tier 6 ok nearly good

Tier 7 fun and effective

Tier 8 richelieu: how to murder a ship ? Richelieu was supposed to be one of the best in his time. It's the worst tier 8 bb by far in the game. not a threat for anything except if rng gods are really with you. Burn at every he shot even from tier 6 cruisers.... heavily punished if broadside.... can't find any good points in this ship.

Tier 8 gascogne : one of the worst premiums of the game. The overpen illness of the roma without his tankiness... got penetration and citadels from nearly any angles, burn very well at every shot... crap dispersion..... clearly not worthy more than 50 €.

Even as an top tier, gascogne isn't a threat for anything.

Tier 9 : the best of the line, fun to play, a real threat when top tier, manage to deal with tier 10 bbs. A great ship who will certainly be nerfed to fit the less than average entire line of french bbs. 

Tier 10 not played yet. But seems to have the same weakness than the others, food for t10 He cruisers or any english bb. No armor against plunging ap, food for montanas, baltimores and desmoines. 

To summerize : not a good bb line, except for the tier 7 and 9 who will certainly be nerfed. So where is the point of this new line ? Their heavy weakness from he push even bbs to shoot HE. And agains HE nothing can be done except camping far. They have secondaries but can't brawl cause of their weak armor at close range. Furthermore, without IFHE french secondaries don't do any damage to bbs. Specializing in secondaries will then require 15/19 pts to be at least effective so no fire prevention no turret traverse what an heavy cost. Whatever even if you specialize in secondaries, you can't brawl effectivily, you will be burnt torped or devastated by aps getting in low ranges. 

So what is the purpose of this line ? Can't see it yet. Spamming he shells at long range praying the rng god to have some hits ? being food for he spammers ? exercice targets for us battleships plunging Ap volleys ?

speed boost as consumable, the worst useless consumable for a bb .... no hydro no radar no AA no planes on some of them so they are also mean to be food for dds and carriers....

CCL==> French bb line is a food line at 2 exceptions Tier 7 and 9 until they get nerfed. Tier 8 premium is an good position to claim to be worst premium of the game.  

I had great expectations about this line, i am then so sad seeing the results....

Will play tier 7 and 9 before they get nerfed, will put the gold camos on richelieu and gascogne to look at them in port only, won't put my team in a so heavy disavantage using them in batlles.....

After 7 and 9 nerf, i don"t think i will play again a french bb.

• Cool 2

[-BSG-]
Players
363 posts
40,859 battles

Like I said in another post, my feedback is totally negative

I dont like the system to give new ships like rewards in random containers.

Some ppl found 3 - 4 BB and some ppl found NOTHING, that's after doing same missions and same tasks!

That's NO CORRECT for players.

I just remember to have a little Shinonome like reward need to complete a long and difficult campaign.

To have all ARP ships need complete very difficult tasks....and who did it have ships!

Now to have 4 BB just need open some containers and be lucky.

Who complete same tasks and not be lucky obtains NOTHING!!!!!!!

This is a warfare game, not a bingo. Who fight well and who play well must be rewarded.

• Cool 3

[DRUTY]
Players
10 posts
18,329 battles

FreeXPd Republique. My first impressions after 25-ish battles.

Pros:

• Handling is decent, fits the ship in my opinion.
  • AA is good. Not american-line good but still nice.
  • The speed boost is... slightly useful. I like that I can accelerate faster, that's probably the best effect.

Cons

• The armor is bad. The amount of damage (not even talking about fires) that you get from HE fire is ridiculous. The same goes for Minotaur/Neptune fire - every single place that gets hit gets 2-3-4k dmg. Feels like the ship is made of cardboard. Not a fun characteristic at all. Whenever I try to kite away I just get murdered by every single shell that hits.
  • The guns are bad too. Maybe even worse than bad. The dispersion is very, VERY random. Numerous times I shoot 2-3 salvos at a target in a row only to get 2-3 bounces and an overpen, rest of the shells going around the ship. When once in a blue moon you hit the proper part of the target - the damage can be very good but that is a rarity. It would appear to me that the guns were being designed for close range combat, not kiting/sniping (why the range then?) but at T10 close range combat is ... let's say hard to get. If we're getting only 8 guns and in 2 turrets, I'd really like to see more consistency (or maybe less inconsistency) in the area of the dispersion.

Overall I'm a bit torn on this ship. On one hand it reminded me very nicely of the fun times I had playing the Amagi, kiting and brawling depending on the situation. On the other hand, the Amagi seems tougher and way more accurate and consistent.

I'd rate it around average but the cons make it very frustrating to play.

• Cool 1

Players
773 posts
6,997 battles

I have feed back:

Brigantine: painfully slow. Skipped with free XP.

Normandie: Nice Ship. Smaller Lyon. Not great but had fun.

Lyon: fun as hell. Fast, lots of guns, decent aa. A keeper.

Richelieu: Tragic. Bow taknking ship, after removal of bow tanking. Just to add insult to injury speed boost for reversing. Will complete gold of france campaign with it for camo but wont be playing it.

Alsace:After looking at it from wrong end of the barrel looks decent. Probably will research and buy soon. Most likely my last ship in this line.

Republique: Nope. Nope. Nope.

• Cool 2

Players
11 posts
9,682 battles

Buff Richelieu to the same sigma level as Gascougne 1.9 instead of 1.8, the guns are really inreliable.

• Cool 2

[_I_]
Players
13 posts
19,662 battles
1 hour ago, zug113 said:

Buff Richelieu to the same sigma level as Gascougne 1.9 instead of 1.8, the guns are really inreliable.

won't help, gascogne guns are perhaps worse than those of the richelieu

Players
773 posts
6,997 battles
2 hours ago, zug113 said:

Sigma and reload are compensation to gascone for turret placement, but thats in comparition to Cardinal.

French t8 is supposed to be bow tanking dmg like Dunkerque therfore weaker guns than other t8 bbs but there is a little twist:

This isnt tier 6.

Tier 8 is much more demanding than tier 6, cruisers get more range, so he becomes much bigger problem, guns get bigger, and you get uptiered +2 over 50% of the time. You have same caliber as bismarck, but longer reload. Yes you have over 25km range, yay you, but at that range and that caliber you may as well not bother shooting at all. Guns are underwhelming, if they had improved sigma maybe, but i feel it would be not enough...

So what about secondaries, they are as good as germans arent they? Giving broadside to use your secondaries is a bad idea. Germans are technically uncitadelable, so thats ok, but french... Lets compare side armor Cardinal/Bismarck, shall we? Deck(32mm vs 50mm he cruisers are loving this) Upper belt (32mm vs 160mm no comment), Main belt (330mm (lower250mm) vs 330mm thinner where it counts), turtleback (120(30degrees)/50(60 degrees) it may as well not be there. Secondaries are of limited usefullnes because you have to give so much of the side that sidearmor 32mm will no longer autobounce shells.

Lets not discuss usefullness of speed boost on a ship thats reversing or bowtanking at 1/4 speed most of the time shall we?

My richelieu will rust in port because i dont need credits, so i dont have to sell it. And if I ever need credits... I know what is first on my selling list.

Beta Tester
17 posts
13,004 battles

I WASN'T AWARDED A RICHELIEU T8 AFTER COMPLETING ALL THE MISSIONS AND TASKS IN PART ONE OF THE FRENCH CAMPAIGN IN THE REQUIRED TIME LIMIT. ALL I GOT WAS A, USELESS FOR ANY OTHER MISSION, T5 BB. NOW I'VE GOT TO STRUGGLE TO HALF COMPLETE THE 'GOLD OF FRANCE' CAMPAIGN AND THE 'HERMES' SCENARIO- YES I'M SHOUTIN' BECAUSE I'M LIVID. THOUSANDS OF OTHERS UNLOCKED A T8 AS A PERSONAL MISSION AND I HAVE BEEN DENIED!!!!!!..TOTALLY SHABBY TREATMENT!!! I HAVE SUBMITTED MULTIPLE TICKETS ON THIS ISSUE...ALL I GET IS APOLOGIES AND PLATITUDES...I DON'T WANT THEM, I WANT THE  T8 BB SHIP I SLOGGED MY GUTS OUT TO GET BUT WASN'T AWARDED. IF A SHIP IS NEEDED TO COMPLETE CAMPAIGNS AND MISSIONS IN PART TWO, WHY WASN'T EVERYONE GIVEN A T8 BB 'PERSONAL MISSION' TO UNLOCK? iT'S STILL NOT TOO LATE TO FIX IT!!!

Edited by PanzerTony123
BECAUSE I'M SO ANGRY AT THIS ISSUE I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED ON THE FORUM AND SUPPORT, BUT STILL TREATED SHABBILY

Players
773 posts
6,997 battles
16 minutes ago, PanzerTony123 said:

I WASN'T AWARDED A RICHELIEU T8 AFTER COMPLETING ALL THE MISSIONS AND TASKS IN PART ONE OF THE FRENCH CAMPAIGN IN THE REQUIRED TIME LIMIT. ALL I GOT WAS A, USELESS FOR ANY OTHER MISSION, T5 BB. NOW I'VE GOT TO STRUGGLE TO HALF COMPLETE THE 'GOLD OF FRANCE' CAMPAIGN AND THE 'HERMES' SCENARIO- YES I'M SHOUTIN' BECAUSE I'M LIVID. THOUSANDS OF OTHERS UNLOCKED A T8 AS A PERSONAL MISSION AND I HAVE BEEN DENIED!!!!!!..TOTALLY SHABBY TREATMENT!!! I HAVE SUBMITTED MULTIPLE TICKETS ON THIS ISSUE...ALL I GET IS APOLOGIES AND PLATITUDES...I DON'T WANT THEM, I WANT THE  T8 BB SHIP I SLOGGED MY GUTS OUT TO GET BUT WASN'T AWARDED. IF A SHIP IS NEEDED TO COMPLETE CAMPAIGNS AND MISSIONS IN PART TWO, WHY WASN'T EVERYONE GIVEN A T8 BB 'PERSONAL MISSION' TO UNLOCK? iT'S STILL NOT TOO LATE TO FIX IT!!!

Not everyone. I have started as you as T5 two days ago. Tommorow I will probably have Alsace, but Cardinal is making me lose my will to live so thats not 100% sure. Currently the game has so many XP buffs that You dont even have to care anymore. I have been saving flags for that ocasion so when one gets 25k xp games +10k free XP it proceeds kinda fast.