Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wilkatis_LV

Ghost Shells

11 comments in this topic

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Lately (over the last couple of patches) I've noticed a... large-ish increase of "ghost shells" - shells just going through the target without actually registering a hit. The video below shows what I mean.

Before I call this out as a serious bug - just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I mean, most people wouldn't even be paying attention to something like that, but hey - can't be I'm the only one?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,576 posts
20,730 battles

WoWs is a server sided game afaik. What is rendered on your client may not be a 100% accurate representation of what the server sees.

And needless to say the server overrules any individual client.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

WoWs is a server sided game afaik. What is rendered on your client may not be a 100% accurate representation of what the server sees.

And needless to say the server overrules any individual client.

I've tested it together with ForlornSailor and DFens that shooter, receiver and bystander - all of them see the exact same shell paths / hit locations. So is everyone seeing it wrong then?

[THESO]
Players
4,589 posts

Ive had couple of situations, where my shells (a full Montana salvo on enemy BBs at 8 km for example) just "disappeared" in his hull doing no dmg, registering no hits.

Could as well that they went trough ...

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,300 posts
11,665 battles

Last night in my bushmark I ate a full salvo from a colorado. I think only 1 shell missed me.

I ate them mid ship broad side.

When I saw the salvo coming towards me with in that grouping, I said to myself... "Oh fudge!!"

He though he must be blessed by the RNGesus..

after the hit.

!!!???

what??

only 1 overpen???

really...???

Accused of hax! :)

serB works in mysterious ways.

Players
1,102 posts
11,859 battles
5 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I've tested it together with ForlornSailor and DFens that shooter, receiver and bystander - all of them see the exact same shell paths / hit locations. So is everyone seeing it wrong then?

Probably yes. I have seen several times where visual hit area and damage taken does not add-up.

For example, in Baltimore recive two hits from Missouri. Both visually landed on well angled belt (was almost 90.degrees, so autobounce), just behind conning tower.But both shells caused citadel hits, so most likely they actually hit and overmatched my bow.

Most likely, what happenes, is that server "tells" all clients same shell and ship position with certain up-date rate (that is why everybody sees it the same).Between those up-dates, client draws them according the old data. At the same time, server is constantly calculating position, so there is slight delay. And because everithing in game is faster than in reality. Shell actual impact and "draw" position will be somewhat different. 

Players
1,102 posts
11,859 battles

To add, server actually knows at the moment you push the button, where the shells will land, what is dispersion and trajectory. What it calculates is that is there any ship to interfere that shells trajectory. So basically, in game shell splashes are rather accurate, because client will draw it according to server data. Hits on a ships, not so much, unless both ship are stationary through entire circle, from firing till hiting.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
19 minutes ago, mariouus said:

So basically, in game shell splashes are rather accurate (..) Hits on a ships, not so much

You can clearly see there that the shell would have landed pretty much perfectly in the middle of the ship under DesMemes 3rd turret. So either the shells path was magically incorrect (shouldn't be) or the ship wasn't there (clearly was as others did hit it moments after my shell passed through)

Players
1,102 posts
11,859 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

You can clearly see there that the shell would have landed pretty much perfectly in the middle of the ship under DesMemes 3rd turret. So either the shells path was magically incorrect (shouldn't be) or the ship wasn't there (clearly was as others did hit it moments after my shell passed through)

Shell path was correct, this was calculated 11.seconds before they landed and was basis for client to draw shells. What happened is that ships are drawn by the client after the fact. DM was in the middle of the turn and in server, where calculation was done, she had manage do swing her stern more to the left than client showed. Her serverside stern was nicely between splashes. Why other player did hit, was that he hit near the funnel, very close do center of the ship, what is pivot point (both stern and bow turn around pivot point, while point it self will remain on previous heading longer).

Sign in to follow this