Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
leonkiller44

Is Alabama worth it?

10 comments in this topic

Question

Players
7 posts
635 battles

I have read the LWM's review but it was before lowering the citadel of the ship making it very fragile...

I would like to know how is her armor right now because i am a player that engages between 15km-8km so i need both decent armor and big guns (Germans got the armor but guns are a bit small...) . Is this ship capable of? or better wait for the tanky Arizona to come available?

9 answers to this question

Players
3,130 posts
10,062 battles

Its very tanky bow on....Its not broadside.

I love the Bama and my go to tier 8 BB.  Its the ONLY free ship i have got from a container in what? 4 years? Have Steven on him for the better switch and gun rotate. 

IMHO Pros

1) AA is fantastic

2) Great turning WASD for a BB

3) Small target for a BB

3) Fantastic Torp belt (from the sides). Even if the Enemy CV somehow manages to get a torp drop on you, you wont received much damage for his troubles 

4) Tanky Bow on

5) 6 forward facing guns

6) Great Pen AP shells (cit Crusiers all day long) and HE is dangerous

7) Concealment is great (like all BBs now-a-days) ]

8) Due to the arc, BBs with crap deck armour (Please see German BBs) get hurt badly

IMHO Cons

1) Shell arcs are..Well US shell arcs.  Takes time to get used it to.

2) Goes down quick when being flanked from the sides, more than a German one would.

3) long reload main guns

4) secondary fire is meh.  But surprising accurate if you go mad and spec it for it :Smile_hiding:

Its a mid range Battleship that can pick its fights.  Its more of a brawler then its cousin the NC as it don't have the aiming Mod.  The accuracy can sometimes be...Strange.

VS German BBs stay and range and you will out damage him very fast with AP via his deck armour

VS IJN get close and personal. 

VS US, load salt and pepper as your both Prob Bow on anyway.

I didn't like the NC that much but love the Bama.  It handles like a cruiser :cap_tea: (please see Sharnhorst) 

Players
520 posts
1,758 battles

I got her for free from a container, so I may be a bit biased, but I think she is one of the better additions to the game that WG made the last year.

She is not one of those braindead permanent broadside BBs with no citadel, so that alone makes her worth it in my opinion. You actually need some basic understanding of how the game works to be successful in her, but if you have that requirement, she is incredibly fun to play. Oh, and she is probably one of the few newer BBs that has reliable guns and not complete RNG based lotteries in the shape of guns. That is a point I can not stress enough.

And if you are bow on like mentioned above, there is not much in terms of other BBs that can hurt you. All the other aspects of the ship (reload time, maneuverability, concealment) are pretty solid as well.

So if you are willing to spend money on the game, the Alabama is certainly one of the best options for investing you money so far.

Players
7 posts
635 battles

Thank you both guys , seems like its worth it , i don't currently own the north Carolina but i have unlocked up to the Colorado so far and i am really suffering, it just feels really bad and doesn't uptier at all.....

I always play my ships as angled as i can because no matter how good my armor is, i always get citadeled if broadside.

Scharnhorst has very small guns for my taste , i get it that it acts more like a cruiser and it has some torps as a little bonus but its not what i am searching for.

How is doing Alabama against higher tiers? I have heard than 8's are more often uptiered due to more limited players but not sure if thats true.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,244 posts
6,371 battles

Alabama can deal well with higher tier BB. You can bow tank all save for Yamato but if you angle you'll be fine. As for North Carolina, showing broadside will get you punished heavily as flank armor is weak. 

The good AA helps well against CV and torpedo belt is very good.

I would suggest you to try North Carolina first. If you like the gameplay and feel well using it, then buy Alabama !!

Players
9,431 posts
11,039 battles
3 hours ago, NoirLotus said:

Alabama can deal well with higher tier BB. You can bow tank all save for Yamato but if you angle you'll be fine. As for North Carolina, showing broadside will get you punished heavily as flank armor is weak. 

The good AA helps well against CV and torpedo belt is very good.

I would suggest you to try North Carolina first. If you like the gameplay and feel well using it, then buy Alabama !!

This. NC and Alabama are very similar, so if you get along with NC, Alabama will be just fine.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,240 posts
14,342 battles

Hi all,

10 hours ago, leonkiller44 said:

I have read the LWM's review but it was before lowering the citadel of the ship making it very fragile...

I would like to know how is her armor right now because i am a player that engages between 15km-8km so i need both decent armor and big guns (Germans got the armor but guns are a bit small...) . Is this ship capable of? or better wait for the tanky Arizona to come available?

I got my "Alabama" via Supercontainer few weeks ago... incredible... I was stunned (before that I only got the "Krasny Krym")... :Smile_Default:

The ships is really great and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you play USN BBs (I use my 19 point captain on "Montana", "Missouri" and "Alabama")! :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
11 hours ago, leonkiller44 said:

it was before lowering the citadel of the ship making it very fragile

I think you don't quite understand how lowering the citadel works :cap_old:

it makes ship take less citadels instead of making it more fragile

Players
7 posts
635 battles

Thanks guys , i got it , first impression wasn't good , not even as near as tanky as a New mexico or a Colorado but after only 3 matches started to get used to.

The high maneuverability and the low concealment (commander skill + module upgrade gets you at 12.2km detectability by sea which is low)  is enough to balance the weaker armor , if they can not shoot you you wont receive any damage , as simple as that! 

Guns are accurate , fastest ship so far compared to colorados awful 21knots max speed. Now i can finally move and escape if something gets wrong while previously i had to decide on which point i should go from the start of the game and fight there even if i knew i would die..... 

The real cons about this ship:

1) Now this is VERY VERY VERY VERY bad and i dont know why noone noticed it so far , even with a very strict angle cruisers are going to easily score a 5k damage if they shoot at the rear of your ship , battleships are going to easily score a 12k damage on you and the reason is that while the front citadel athwartship has 156mm of armor , the rear one has a toilet paper armor of 16mm!!!! everyone just can penetrate your citadel with that  , north carolina has a rear and front athwartship armor of 282mm , so decreasing the armor from 282 to 156mm wasn't enough? Dont forget also that citadel damage is not repairable!  I wish i could refund my ship for that and only reason, otherwise it would be a very decent ship....

2) definitely does not forgive mistakes , even with such a good turning radius and responsive rudder if you turn in front of  a battleship you are gonna pay a lot for it , just make sure you stay stealth and don't get closer than 13km if you dont want to all-in!

Sign in to follow this