Sign in to follow this  
BigBadBeef

How Useful is double catapult fighter for non-combat purposes?

8 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
835 battles

I am building a captain specifically for Tier VII and VIII german BB & BC, both standard and premium. I would like to discuss the usefulness of catapult fighters on on said ships.

I am wondering about having double catapult aircraft. Not in the sense of what they could be used for, rather in how they behave? Are they flying in formation? Do they take up positions in opposite sides to my ships? Do they even fly in a specific pattern or do I have to pray to RNGesus that at least one of them will fly around that island I am skulking behind and give me vision?

image.png

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

Double fighters fly in opposite directions, somewhat slower than a single plane. Spotter planes fly slightly farther away than fighter planes. On the whole they're somewhat "RNG" since they fly around, but two are more reliable than one.

I'd only use that skill if I had a point left over from the rest of the skill build. It's never really essential, and there are usually better options.

In Bismarck you have sonar, which does much the same job planes would do, with some differences.

PM doesn't affect secondaries or AA to my knowledge, so it's not as useful as it could be on those ships.

Players
17 posts
835 battles

While I agree, I also need the build to be effective on my scharnhorst. you know, to "print Reichsmark" and troll dd, eventually I will also buy tirpitz...

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

I use it for fighter planes on cruisers for DD hunting, and torp spotting. I belive it`s worth the single cap point, because if your plane gets shot down (and even DD`s can shoot down spotter/fighter planes quite reliably) you still have one in the air. Also it`s kinda useful for slowing down incoming planes - i belive that since dual planes are slower, they slow down squadrons they`re engaging even more than normal.

Players
17 posts
835 battles
37 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

i belive that since dual planes are slower, they slow down squadrons they`re engaging even more than normal.

Can anyone else confirm this?

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles
2 godziny temu, BigBadBeef napisał:

Can anyone else confirm this?

Why i belive this - torpedo, and dive planes never run out of range of fighters that engage them, hence if fighter is moving slower then torp/dive bombers also have to move slower.

#wg_send_help

Beta Tester
3,070 posts
3,476 battles
5 hours ago, Infiriel said:

I believe that since dual planes are slower, they slow down squadrons they`re engaging even more than normal.

I have always assumed that the slower flight speed of the two planes was an intended disadvantage, put there for balance reasons in order to mitigate the advantage of having twice the number of planes. And so I have also assumed that the only effect of the slower speed would be to decrease the chances to intercept enemy planes.

Edited: From a logical perspective, it would make no real sense for a slower fighter plane to be better at stalling enemy attack formations. On the other hand, it doesn't make any more sense that having two planes up in the air at the same time would make their pilots fly at a lower speed. Unless it were perhaps in order to avoid the risk of a mid-air collision? Arguments based on logical sensibility are probably a fallacy in this case anyway, since the first priority here is always game balance.

Sign in to follow this