Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Super-Premium Ships (upgradeable)

9 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
3,560 posts
14,711 battles

Random suggestion inspired by the US CA/CL thread.

We know that allowing inexperienced players access to high-tier Premiums is a bad idea. We also know that there are lots and lots of Tier V and VI premiums - so many, in fact, that they have to keep taking them out of the shop. We also know that players may improve over time and outgrow their lower Tier premium ships.

So... why not hard-cap high Tier premiums (want to buy a Tier VIII and have less than 1000 games? getouttahere) and make a class of lower-tier Super-Premium ships? That's not super as in P2W, but super as in "can be upgraded by at least two Tiers through play".

By the time the US Cruiser line has been reworked we'll have a Cleveland class CL which was balanced for Tier VI and and Tier VIII - would it be difficult to come up with a Tier VII build so that you can develop the ship? The Pensacola-class will be downtiered from VII to VI - why not make a super-premium that starts with the silver Tier VI and gives you the option to upgrade it to the old-school Tier VII (if you want to). These changes would be reversible, the same way as normal upgrades, so the player could decide to drop down a Tier if they found their newly upgraded ship too hot to handle. It might also mean that WG have to stop desperately trying to balance ships for fixed-tier play by compromising the designs (hello Duca Degli Abruzzi) and let the player work out what they can deal with. 

I'm sure there's something I've not thought of (and I'm sure you'll tell me what it is) but it seems like a fairly decent idea....

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles

Up to now we do not have any vehicles that can change tier.

As far as I know there are no such verhicles in WoT und WoWpl.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Interesting but not viable I think. Since it would require a whole new balance pass for each tier. I don't know if that effort is worth it on wg part compared to the cash they get out of it. 

And if the upgraded version is op but the unupgraded version isn't. Restrict it entirely? Or just restrict the upgrades? And if you restrict the upgrade, how would that not be seen as false advertising? 

Not too mention it would confuse the less skilled or intelligent players that see the same ship maybe in the same match on different tiers. Hackusations wil run rampant with that as well. 

I do like the idea, but I'm afraid that it's more trouble than its worth 

[-TPF-]
Players
3,560 posts
14,711 battles
22 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Up to now we do not have any vehicles that can change tier.

This is true...  but we could. There will be a Pensacola-class build battle-tested for both Tier VI and VII, and a Cleveland for VI and VIII. Most of the RN CLs also existed in at least one or more sub-classes with different configs - perhaps it would be better to work up a Tier VI-VII premium Leander (which might be a high-skill ship for best rewards) rather than creating ships like Perth based around specific mechanics which can be disruptive to the whole game; ditto the RN Town class... would it have been better to have a Tier VI-VII Sheffield than the nightmare of Belfast?

[CATS]
Players
24,861 posts
13,707 battles

WG will not limit the tier of purchasable premium ships.

Your concept becomes uninteresting when players can just buy a higher tier ship.

[L4GG]
Players
2,695 posts
9,899 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Random suggestion inspired by the US CA/CL thread.

We know that allowing inexperienced players access to high-tier Premiums is a bad idea. We also know that there are lots and lots of Tier V and VI premiums - so many, in fact, that they have to keep taking them out of the shop. We also know that players may improve over time and outgrow their lower Tier premium ships.

So... why not hard-cap high Tier premiums (want to buy a Tier VIII and have less than 1000 games? getouttahere) and make a class of lower-tier Super-Premium ships? That's not super as in P2W, but super as in "can be upgraded by at least two Tiers through play".

By the time the US Cruiser line has been reworked we'll have a Cleveland class CL which was balanced for Tier VI and and Tier VIII - would it be difficult to come up with a Tier VII build so that you can develop the ship? The Pensacola-class will be downtiered from VII to VI - why not make a super-premium that starts with the silver Tier VI and gives you the option to upgrade it to the old-school Tier VII (if you want to). These changes would be reversible, the same way as normal upgrades, so the player could decide to drop down a Tier if they found their newly upgraded ship too hot to handle. It might also mean that WG have to stop desperately trying to balance ships for fixed-tier play by compromising the designs (hello Duca Degli Abruzzi) and let the player work out what they can deal with. 

I'm sure there's something I've not thought of (and I'm sure you'll tell me what it is) but it seems like a fairly decent idea....

I like that idea very much.

but has it's problems.

I would like to take my boys to whatever battle, especially with the crap and clunk that are in the tech trees.

My boys on steroids. Ahahahahah.

Don't, just don't remind me of that Turd in t6

Players
607 posts
6,248 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

We know that allowing inexperienced players access to high-tier Premiums is a bad idea.

Speak for yourself.

• Bad 1

[NWP]
Players
2,502 posts
15,818 battles
11 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Playing a 1000 games and sticking to tier V max happens as well. So only looking at amount of games is useless.

I do like the idea to have an upgradeable ship, but for it to be viable for WG they'll prolly charge doubloons to upgrade it / give it a hefty pricetag.

Sign in to follow this