krazypenguin

IJN Shiratsuyu advice please

3 comments in this topic

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,595 battles

Hi there,

I've just completed grinding the Hatsuhara (for the second time thanks to the tech tree split!) and found it to be a somewhat stressful ship to play - hence looking for advice with the Shiratsuyu which seems to be a similar ship.

I'm not sure what captain to use yet so please assume I have an 8 point captain (I might be able to move a better one but work on 8 points as the assumption for now)

Some questions for experienced players please:

1 - do you use Torpedo Acceleration?  I found the Hatsu's torps to be a little underwhelming.  10k range is nice, but they felt very slow and the detection range is quite long so I really struggled to get as many hits as I would have liked.  I reckon the Hatsu might benefit from TA but the Shira has slightly faster torps anyway and is a slower ship with worse concealment (IIRC) - so I feel the reduced buffer between torp range and being spotted might not be worth it.  

2 - do you use Torpedo Reload Booster or smoke?  TRB is, obviously, lovely, but I've never played a DD without smoke and the idea scares me a bit - doubly so given the low top speed and 6.4km base concealment (though I will run premium camo).  However, there will presumably be a lot more radar ships at this tier so is smoke that useful?  (My gut instinct is to keep it)

Any other advice is gratefully received!

Regards,

krazypenguin

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,260 posts
18,335 battles

1 - if that captain goes on the Akizuki later on, then no, don't use the TA.

2 - a good DD player will work wonders with TRB. I have played the Shira with smoke, as I'm quite average. While the torp reload is slow, you will benefit more from the increased security offered by the smoke.

The best advice I can give you is to power through the Shira, as this ship is inferior to the Akatsuki. 

When playing, avoid contact at any cost. Being spotted will kill you, as the ship is quite clumsy.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
14 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

1 - do you use Torpedo Acceleration?  I found the Hatsu's torps to be a little underwhelming.  10k range is nice, but they felt very slow and the detection range is quite long so I really struggled to get as many hits as I would have liked.  I reckon the Hatsu might benefit from TA but the Shira has slightly faster torps anyway and is a slower ship with worse concealment (IIRC) - so I feel the reduced buffer between torp range and being spotted might not be worth it.  

2 - do you use Torpedo Reload Booster or smoke?  TRB is, obviously, lovely, but I've never played a DD without smoke and the idea scares me a bit - doubly so given the low top speed and 6.4km base concealment (though I will run premium camo).  However, there will presumably be a lot more radar ships at this tier so is smoke that useful?  (My gut instinct is to keep it)

I don't find TA useful for anything other than when I was stuck with the 20 km torps on higher tiers. It's an advantage with a disadvantage, and I don't think that's worth the skill points. Shiratsuyu has decent torpedoes anyway, and the skillpoints are better spent elsewhere.

I find that the "standard" torpedo build works very well for Shiratsuyu. In order, PM, LS, SE, CE, AR, and then RL or TAE depending on which you prefer first. You can sub TAE for SI if you use TRB. RL is very useful, since it's a slow but stealthy ship, so you can use that stealth to its fullest without being caught off guard and unable to run away. That goes especially if you're using TRB. Speaking of which...

I use TRB. Been using it on all ships I could ever since the pre-nerf Hatsuharu and Kagero had them, and it was a 30-second reload. Whether you use TRB depends on how much you rely on smoke. When I play I rarely smoke in IJN DDs. I prefer to scout and remain undetected, since that means I can more easily strike from unexpected angles. That's where you get the best strikes from. If you rely on smoke to keep you covered or to bail you out, you're not going to do well with TRB.

Also, regardless of anything else, use speed flags. You need all the speed you can get.

13 hours ago, Aragathor said:

1 - if that captain goes on the Akizuki later on, then no, don't use the TA.

I wouldn't recommend the same captain at all. One's a large gunboat, and the other is a sneaky torpedo boat. The most notable difference is that you really need IFHE for Akiduki, but it's a waste for Shira. Pick a new captain or respec entirely.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this