Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Port... WoW... Non-gameplay improvements...

9 comments in this topic

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

TL;DR (I mean, I am really bad at tldrs, and titles,especially at this moment)

Is there a reason the pre-game loading screen must block out port access? Can it display the "players in queue" in a side or pop-up transparent window, and do a quick 3-second countdown upon successful match-making (instead client-freeze) , like Starcraft 2 does?

Is there a reason players are unable to see what modules and consumables are available to unresearched ships, and even the ships are greyed out? Is it to prevent display-bugs involving "hidden" and non-researchable premium ships? Can WG code around it?

Player-customization and moddable changes are unfortunately rather rigidly limited for WoWs. This is because it is a multiplayer game. A vast majority of moddable games, with mods as an attractive point, are single-player games, and although WoWs has mods, they are simplistic in comparison. WoWs does not have a mod-experience friendly multiplayer (yet), so mods can't go farther than general Quality-of-Life mods. But there is a part where it is "singleplayer", that is in port. Just the player and their ships. To freely leer over like toy soldier figurines. And to do whatever they want with them.

With this logic, the rest is pretty-much self-explanatory. WG should consider this perspective, the importance of the port to the experience of the player, and how it may be possible to enhance it. Such as via enhancing features of the port, and leaving more space open for customization by players and modders (e.g. from harmless visuals-only mods like garage-styles in WoT, to more complex tech-tree/carousel/port U.I. styles, even simplified and streamlined "quick-equipment configuration interface" similar to the now officially integrated "simplified carousel interface", even "equipment configuration presets".)

But ideally it could be something more. Something which adds to the game as a feature, enhances the experience of the player beyond serving only the purposes of core gameplay.

Perhaps, it would advance to a stage where just the port in itself is a mini-game inside a game. A consequence-free, "training room" style place where we can watch the ship from the air, from up close, from cinematic angles, watch it test-fire its guns, with animations of shadow-sailor-figures operating the equipment, accompanies by short but detailed historical introductions of the equipment ... though this will take hardware advances and development.

Or a better, cinematic, more atmospheric kind of port. (sort of like an animated, atmospheric port ... picture this, it's night, it's dark, but there is light everywhere ... from a flurry of activity of ships, people, and supplies being transferred, equipment being readied, some units already setting out towards the horizon, where distant sounds of gunfire can be heard, a hazy-glow ominously lights up the horizon,  and that constant, urgent stream of background radio ambiance, means you too, will soon be joining the action.

Ships still "in battle" would be shown in some kind of environment reminiscent of the map of where they are still in battle. Multiple ships could appear at once, and they could be grouped based on your session with them (lined up, like the game-results list), or grouped based on missions that feature them (or "seasonal" game modes, such as the idea from the "premium" threads earlier), from your play-styles and performance (similar to the warship-stats, but visualized). Common tips might be visualized. If you afk too long, the ships might automatically generate into a scenario and battle it out before your eyes, depending on which ships you have and possible groupings for them.

Most of these concepts, or anything that complicates the port for that matter, assumes hardware and computing advances. This is not very practical. So while ideally the port could be made into a "carnival of features", which would undoubtedly be enjoyed by players, the end result does not necessarily involve the player experience of the game improving. The player experience is ideally the primary purpose a design should aim for. But that also makes it very complicated to conceptualize.

The best way is still to observe, recognize, and extract the "purpose" of doing so. That has been what game development has been about since forever, to represent something usually too complicated and hardware-taxing otherwise, in a way which is fun, engaging, symbolic, and interactive to the "player". While this is not all of it, it is one form of it. All the variations in genre, gameplay etc. is just different methods at attempting to reach the player through gameplay design, culminating in an experience for the player.

So it is not necessary to replicate the high-end effects that induce enjoyment of them in the player, just the effect on the player, induced by these feature effects. What we imagine would be nice to the experience of the player if everyone had super-computers capable of doing something with every single ship owned by the player at once, all at once, is probably achievable to similar ends without the super-computer parts. For instance, WG can make use of the graphical techniques of rendering to achieve possibilities of both far-away and close-up views, possibly involving many assets at once. To make use of software techniques to "semi-generate" pre-programmed, but not pre-rendered sequences involving varying assets. 

So just try to get an idea of this "direction" I am hinting at, of how to make just sitting in port no longer as boring as "sitting in port", just one port, one ship, one view, and not even the best view. I'm not saying to just find a way to make training-room available in port, it has to be linked to the gameplay and the "overall experience" of WoWs in one continuity. For instance, when queuing for battle, the client shouldn't just outright block off the port, but should present the usual numbers in perhaps a semi-transparent drop-down or pop-up, and when a game is found about 2-3 seconds of quick syncing time is offered, then transitions into loading in game. The player can play round with port, ships, but perhaps not the loadout of the ship in queue, but at least they are not suddenly bored by a loading screen, then abruptly and just not very nicely thrown around into a game, not even their preferred map mode or game mode, just played around in logic, by the game ... and they didn't even get to queue in the ship they wanted to play, because it is still locked in battle, too expensive to play, too disagreeable to play because of an obviously bad Hull upgrade they cannot afford ... just so many places where the game is not experience-friendly.

It's very many things yet very few things together all at once ... not easy to explain, but easy enough to comprehend if you get the idea. This is not necessarily the fault of it being F2P, nor the fault of WG, there is not fault, just inefficiency. These disagreeable aspects are where the argument always goes back to, but finding solutions, or even concepts that break out of the mold and open the mere possibility of solutions, is not easy. This is why it can be frustrating and boring,  and unfortunately I'm not in an ideal state myself right now to tackle examples for complicated, especially tedious concepts such as this, so I'll have to come back to this topic again later. It usually takes a thread or two to make anything out of stuff, anyways.

But when seeing the equipment, I'd appreciate their effects be visualized, similar to the range-circles on the minimap (another officially adopted feature), because it is easy on my logic. Sometimes, much much easier, like the armour comparisons made possible only via armour-view. To see full comparative numbers between two loadouts (current game can, but only against single-upgrades like Hull B - Hull C), players usually have to go to functional skill and loadout calculators on external websites. Or onto forums. But as WG knows very well, not an overwhelming number of players are even interested in these stats, much less go out of their way to check them out. So in this case, having not just integrated comparative function, but possibly a top-down, visualized view of the ship, with range circles drawn on the water, perhaps even experimenting on the maps themselves (but without other players), would be even more important, than just an enhanced training room. It serves a purpose, and that is to seemlessly and smoothly greet players into the logic of the game. The players have done so much to try to help WoWs around its almost complete lack of "soft" power, while WG tries to apply brute force to find these possibilities ... then doubles back because it's not what they do. If there's one thing I can be sure of, it's that WoWs still has much possibility, much potential, in possibly easy and obvious places we never miss like the good-old port functions. Simple fixes in these places would generate cost-efficient improvements on the game, like the aforementioned QoL changes adopted from mods. But there is a medium more complex than QoL, but less critical than gameplay changes, and that is about the things we are aiming for in "port possibilities".

So chirp in. TY for reading and I hope this wasn't too much spam.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[WCWVE]
Players
1,019 posts
16,260 battles

First of all WG need to fixed the ship carousel so that it does not randomly reset to the first ships in the carousel after visiting missions screen, profile etc etc

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,774 battles

I don't know about anyone else, but for me the UI has been getting gradually worse patch after patch.

Clunky, slow and seems to micro freeze often. I know it's not the pc.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,213 posts
18,951 battles
4 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Clunky, slow and seems to micro freeze often.

Yeah, same here.

Is UI of stronk programink comrade!

• Cool 1

[KINGS]
[KINGS]
Weekend Tester
475 posts
19,011 battles
7 hours ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

First of all WG need to fixed the ship carousel so that it does not randomly reset to the first ships in the carousel after visiting missions screen, profile etc etc

Man, yesterday was so funny.... Was in division, i select Yamato and commander division pressed battle. The game start, enemy cruiser was spotted, i aimed and surprise: no range... wtf? And why my Yamato is moving so fast? Because is a khaba... Why the hell i was in a battle with khaba?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,862 posts
10,554 battles
26 minutes ago, Mandyxx said:

Man, yesterday was so funny.... Was in division, i select Yamato and commander division pressed battle. The game start, enemy cruiser was spotted, i aimed and surprise: no range... wtf? And why my Yamato is moving so fast? Because is a khaba... Why the hell i was in a battle with khaba?

THIS.

Happened to me multiple times.

You double click ship in port, the camera "shifts", but the ship does not get selected.

Not to mention that DIV mates always have to wait for me since mounting signals in the laggy UI can be a real pain.

My experience:

I have a powerful PC, but after certain amount of battles the UI gets very laggy.

I just reboot (SSD luckily) and it starts breathing again (for some time). Funny thing is that only client reset does not help.

• Funny 1

[WCWVE]
Players
1,019 posts
16,260 battles

Please add you comments to the thread - survey of game faults and vote there 

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
1 hour ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

Please add you comments to the thread - survey of game faults and vote there