You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
friedeggnchips

Invisible ships

89 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
283 battles

This is absurd. less than 5km yet I cannot see the enemy. I later died from 6 torpedoes that came from the magic invisible ship that you can(t) see here.

How am I supposed to fight or do anything if I cant see a ship that is shooting and launching torpedoes at me??!!

Firstly, no it wasn't torpedo bombers that i missed, it is a destroyer that appeared on my minimap and then disappeared.

secondly, this guy was no more than 5km away from me and was also shooting at me, though i still could not detect him. A am in the Iron Duke.

Nerf these bloody invisible destroyers, this is getting out of hand.

Screenshot (363).png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 9
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,492 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, friedeggnchips sagte:

This is absurd

Nope.

less than 5km yet I cannot see the enemy.

How do you know it's less than 5km if you can't see him? :cap_hmm:

How am I supposed to fight or do anything if I cant see a ship that is shooting and launching torpedoes at me??!!

It's called teamwork. You have DDs that can fight enemy DDs. Don't go alone in a BB if you can't deal with some torpedos.

And if he's shooting at you, he can only be invisible in a smokescreen. You just have to shoot at the muzzle flare (actually a little bit below) and can hit him without seeing him.

Vor 9 Minuten, friedeggnchips sagte:

it is a destroyer that appeared on my minimap and then disappeared.

secondly, this guy was no more than 5km away from me and was also shooting at me, though i still could not detect him.

Smokescreen.

Vor 9 Minuten, friedeggnchips sagte:

Spoiler

e3edfb2d32b7e12de6b0f799324f1d4cbebc8694

You may want to read this http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection to learn more about the game mechanics.

• Cool 9

Players
15 posts
283 battles
3 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

giphy.gif

He appeared for around 3 seconds after i took this screenshot and it said something like 4.5km

10 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Smokescreen.

do you see smoke on the screen? no.

10 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

It's called teamwork. You have DDs that can fight enemy DDs. Don't go alone in a BB if you can't deal with some torpedos.

And if he's shooting at you, he can only be invisible in a smokescreen. You just have to shoot at the muzzle flare (actually a little bit below) and can hit him without seeing him.

you can see a destroyed cruiser behind me and a destroyer that have both been destroyed. they ran away after seeing a battleship along with two other guys. i was going behind them when it all went to crap and i got torpedoed.

13 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Nope.

stop defending it. its op af.

• Boring 2

Players
15 posts
283 battles
16 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

Are you sure it was less than 5km? Please upload the replay so we can get a better idea of the situation 

im sure, and i dont think i saved the reply if thats even a thing.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
7 minutes ago, friedeggnchips said:

Then what are we supposed to talk about?

• Cool 1

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,148 posts
28,669 battles

The DD is obviously firing from his concealment, you may have seen him for a brief while but not enough time to aim and fire at him, DD's have a habit of firing torps at BB players rushing them :cap_haloween:.

• Cool 1

[7DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,557 battles
29 minutes ago, friedeggnchips said:

He appeared for around 3 seconds after i took this screenshot and it said something like 4.5km

you can see a destroyed cruiser behind me and a destroyer that have both been destroyed. they ran away after seeing a battleship along with two other guys. i was going behind them when it all went to crap and i got torpedoed.

So you want answers and you got answers!

Then you say the answers are not true, so what you really want?

If you write only because you want some players to say you are right then you are at the wrong place!

Activate replay and post such "bugs" then we can talk again, no replay = not happened!

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,774 battles

Go easy, op has less than 300 battles.

The likelyhood is, given you're tier 5 and you got hit by 6 torps, it was a minekaze/kamikaze/fujin which all have concealment just over 5km.

Edit: it's not OP, it's the game mechanics. Learn them or be frustrated.

• Cool 3

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
48 minutes ago, friedeggnchips said:

It is a thing. Without a replay hardly anyone can tell what exactly happened because your statements don't fit the known game mechanics. Yes, there are destroyers which have a very low concealment at that tier BUT if they shoot with their main guns while you are in range and they are not concealed by islands or smoke they will get spotted. This doesn't fit. Btw: launching torpedoes doesn't increase the visibility of the ships launching them.

That said, if you have continued sailing in the DD's direction although

- he is faster than you

- he is better concealed than you

- he can damage you without getting spotted

- you make it easier for him to hit you (because of a lack of experience I'd say)

this whole situations is kind of your own fault. You basically gave the DD the perfect opportunity to take you on alone instead of turning around to defend the objectives and let the DD not only deal with you but also your allies at the same time. Learn, improve and do it better next time.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Sounds to me like someone is discovering why every T4 to T7 match has a Kamikaze/Fujin.

It's called seal clubbing. Experienced players use overpowered low tier ships to improve their stats at the cost of those still learning the game.

The reason why the Kamis are the original seal clubber premium ship is because it has a ridiculously low torpedo reload, fast torpedos, very small concealment and fast speed. It can basically get up to 5Km from you undetected, torp, shoot to make you turn into his torps, stop shooting and sail away to get quickly undetected, wait 45 seconds for the 6 torpedos to reload and repeat the process ad nauseum. The reason it's hated is because it was an exact clone of a ship anyone could use for free at T5 (minekaze), but then WG nerfed the free version but kept the premium ones as they were. I have encountered so far about 600+ different players in battles that use them, most with max 14+ point captains (that usually means they have even smaller detection and use radio location to know always the general direction of the closest enemy, both of which are captain perks that cost 4 points each), and to this day remains my single biggest priority target in any match there is one, whether I am on a DD, a Cruiser, a BB or a CV.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,321 posts
15,749 battles
6 hours ago, friedeggnchips said:

This is absurd. less than 5km yet I cannot see the enemy. I later died from 6 torpedoes that came from the magic invisible ship that you can(t) see here.

Firstly, no it wasn't torpedo bombers that i missed, it is a destroyer that appeared on my minimap and then disappeared.

secondly, this guy was no more than 5km away from me and was also shooting at me, though i still could not detect him. A am in the Iron Duke.

Play destroyers up to tier 5 to see how they are played and you'll learn more how to play against them.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,470 battles

Screenshot (363).png

He most likely torped you from the limit of his detection range.

Since you say you spoted him for a second at 4,5 km , he most likely had time to hide behind either island in G4 or island at G7 and he "broke" line of sight  behind one of them.

If you know what you are doing and playing lower-mid tiers, yes DDs can be OP , but that can be said for every class in game.

5,873 posts
10,283 battles

Good morning OP.

Regarding the replay: As others have said, with it, it's much easier to unravel the situation you were in. From the screenshot alone I don't know what the match up was and what enemy DD is still alive. From the torpedo spread I assume (!) that it's a German DD due to the two torpedos being  single launched torps.

Regarding the nerf: Well, what is a DD with little HP, puny guns (compared to cruisers and BBs) gonna do if the DD has no concealment? If you see the DD, not only can you shoot him, but it's ultra easy to dodge torps. DDs (apart from a few selected examples) need their stealth, otherwise the game would be off for the DDs.

How to counter it?

- Teamwork: Try to help your teams DDs / Cruisers as best as you can if you're a battleship. See a cap getting red with no ship visible (indicating an enemy DD) and your DD getting towards that cap? Follow your DD! A BBs firepower is nothing to sneeze at, so if your DD spots the enemy DD, fire at it.

- No team alive: Don't try to hunt down the enemy DD. In this situation DD vs BB in a 1v1 the BB is supposed to lose. Again there are very vew exceptions to that rule, but unless the DD isn't stupid: No chances to win that engagement. Solution: Turn away and 'run'. In your example either turn hard left retreating to your team in B. Or if you feel cheeky turn hard right and try to cap A (assuming the DD is south of you and thus you cut him off from the A cap). If you run away from torps it's also considered to be the easiest way of dodging them if you don't know exactly where the DD is or when the DD launched them.

- Play DDs yourself: It's easy to call out DDs and their stealth being OP. Play it for yourself to see how the reality is. Managing ones stealth, little health pool, enemy DDs, hydro (and later radar) of cruisers is quite the multitasking job. Additionally: If you learn how to do torpedo runs on BBs, you learn how to avoid them when driving a BB yourself. As a BB captain I hardly ever catch torps due to having spend quite some games if DDs of all tiers.

Greetings

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

No it's not, You just seem to have little idea how to deal with that kind of situation.

First thing you should do is visit this forum's newcomer subsection and read the pinned guides, particularily the one about spotting and detection mechanics.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
5 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

It's called seal clubbing. Experienced players use overpowered low tier ships to improve their stats at the cost of those still learning the game.

It's called captain training. For a lot of people it's the only premium IJN DD they have.

It's also one of the few T5 ships that doesn't care that it's uptiered to T7 constantly.

• Funny 1

Players
94 posts
3,239 battles
7 hours ago, friedeggnchips said:

If i pinch my eyes, i can make out the Ninja throwing torpedo shaped shuriken at you. He sits on an invisible island and laughs at you. :cap_haloween:

116B2CA5-79C4-4AF6-8FD7-4BB07FB59A82.gif

On a more serious base. I know i am still a noob at this game, and at times i do the same thing as you. Which is lying to myself and raging because i don’t want to accept my failures. Which included telling myself a DD was capable of feats it is infact incapable of.

My tip: go play some DDs. I did. You will find out it’s very hard and you can’t cheat in fact. Also i love DDs now and plan to make them

my first T10 ship!

And then you have the occasional player that is just unbelievably Ninja...

Yesterday i was doing pretty well for myself in my Tirp, having amassed very good damage and a kill in my Tirpitz. We were pushing a cap and won it too, when suddenly a jap destroyer « decloaked » at an island 2km from me. Turned out he had been hiding THE WHOLE GAME behind said island DOING NOTHING (he had literally no points besides my kill in the end, lowest on team, and there were not even smokes or torps coming from that diection before) and my fighter plane didn’t spot him either. No chance, he torped me from point blank AND THEN DIED in 2 seconds from my 3 teammates. But he got me good eh...

You know there are these players. I hope it was worth it chilling out for 8 minutes straight to get 1 moment of glory (and extreme annoyance for me) before getting slaughtered... these dudes are also part of the game!

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,228 posts
13,829 battles

> Plays BB
> Trying to catch a DD
> Lies about DD shots to him
>Complain about low detection range
> But its fine when he deal +3k dmg per ap shell

Typical BBaby player huh? Starting at the beginning of game carrier lul.

Before complaining, check game mechanics. Try to learn them. Watch youtubers to learn some gameplays. With this way ( Complaining about this little situation and others ) you are not gonna make it better. Peoples are try to help you here. But you are still * Stop defending its op af , nerf bloody dd's *

*Tip: Your ship's maximum speed is around 21- 22 knots. Destroyers are have above 36-37 knots. Why you are trying to catch him? While there is no way you can do it unless enemy dd is stupid.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,863 posts
10,561 battles
On 2/25/2018 at 2:19 AM, friedeggnchips said:

Screenshot (363).png

EDIT

Edited by Kampa1987
Insult, non-constructive

[CATS]
Players
24,928 posts
13,719 battles

I see a BB out of position who has no clue what he is doing.

Pro Hint: Activate last known enemy positions on minimap.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,718 posts
15,886 battles
8 hours ago, friedeggnchips said:

5.4km is the magic number.

Remember it and that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it in a BB unless you a) have help in form of friendly ships, b) have help in form of friendly planes (CV or own ones) or c) have help in form of gimicks (hydro or radar).

As is frakking should be in a one on one BB vs DD encounter!

Players
15 posts
283 battles
On 2/25/2018 at 2:54 AM, aboomination said:

Then what are we supposed to talk about?

its op. needs to be nerfed

On 2/25/2018 at 10:19 AM, nambr9 said:

EDIT

yes, very funny indeed, you must have a EDIT in such a manner.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, Accelerated said:

> Plays BB
> Trying to catch a DD
> Lies about DD shots to him
>Complain about low detection range
> But its fine when he deal +3k dmg per ap shell

Typical BBaby player huh? Starting at the beginning of game carrier lul.

Before complaining, check game mechanics. Try to learn them. Watch youtubers to learn some gameplays. With this way ( Complaining about this little situation and others ) you are not gonna make it better. Peoples are try to help you here. But you are still * Stop defending its op af , nerf bloody dd's *

*Tip: Your ship's maximum speed is around 21- 22 knots. Destroyers are have above 36-37 knots. Why you are trying to catch him? While there is no way you can do it unless enemy dd is stupid.

>plays BB

>tries to go around the objective in order to flank with two teammates and cap the point

>team runs away

>im left on my own against god knows how many ships sitting in smoke in the objective, fair enough, i dont mind smoke

>torpedoes incoming from my front

>cant be planes, theres none around

>get shot at by the [edited]water because i cant see the ship

>cant to any damage with AP or HE if i cant see him numbnuts

before insulting me, read the post. try to understand it. play in battleships against destroyers when your whole team has run off. if you also agree, wargaming will nerf it and make it better, as destroyers shouldnt be invisible unless theyre in smoke and certainly shouldnt be invisible at <5km.

*Tip: look at the map, do you see a destroyer on it? no it wasnt detected so clearly i wasnt chasing it. why cant you see the obvious things? I could only have killed him if dd concealment wasnt op.

Edited by Kampa1987
Insult
  • Cool 1

Players
15 posts
283 battles
13 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I see a BB out of position who has no clue what he is doing.

Pro Hint: Activate last known enemy positions on minimap.

Pro Hint for basically everything in life: look carefully, youll see there isnt a destroyer on the map.