Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Natsuzuki

The Minsk

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[POI--]
Players
351 posts
10,266 battles

As Somebody who enjoys torpedo dds, such as of course the IJN dd Line I find myself struggling immensely with the minsk. Up until this point I was able to get by smoke HE spamming and shotgun torpedo-ing. However now that i have reached the tier at which radars are commonplace, these strategies are much less viable. Is there any specific way I should play this thing? or is it  simply reliant on it's smoke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
24,833 posts
13,705 battles

It is one of the fastest ships in the game.

Select your engagement, shoot&scoot, and if the enemy fire gets too much, disengage. Works fine even without AFT. With AFT, it is very easy.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
978 posts
19,445 battles
32 minutes ago, __Poi__ said:

 Is there any specific way I should play this thing? or is it  simply reliant on it's smoke?

 

You wanna max range Gunspam ships with your Guns. Dodge Shells, use your Speed  (Speedflag and Consumable)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POI--]
Players
351 posts
10,266 battles

 

10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It is one of the fastest ships in the game.

Select your engagement, shoot&scoot, and if the enemy fire gets too much, disengage. Works fine even without AFT. With AFT, it is very easy.

ahh yeah i don't have aft yet, I presume i brings a nice change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HAIFU]
Players
538 posts
5,749 battles

Once I got AFT for my Minsk it became much better, though I wish I had IFHE because you end up with tonnes of shatters. Kiev is more of the same, I'm enjoying teh better turret traverse and speed though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
9,958 battles
3 minutes ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Once I got AFT for my Minsk it became much better, though I wish I had IFHE because you end up with tonnes of shatters. Kiev is more of the same, I'm enjoying teh better turret traverse and speed though.

Get DE, BFT and AR then you will enjoy more dmg from fires than from raw dmg. RU DDs are basically flamethrowers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HAIFU]
Players
538 posts
5,749 battles
2 hours ago, Desteban said:

Get DE, BFT and AR then you will enjoy more dmg from fires than from raw dmg. RU DDs are basically flamethrowers...

Hmmm, may need to re-spec my Captain then. I took PT, Last Stand (a must for DD's imo), Survivability Expert and AFT. I took SE so I could take a few extra hits from cruisers etc., but I'm not sure how useful it is. When I get 12 points I'll invest in AR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
21 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Hmmm, may need to re-spec my Captain then. I took PT, Last Stand (a must for DD's imo), Survivability Expert and AFT. I took SE so I could take a few extra hits from cruisers etc., but I'm not sure how useful it is. When I get 12 points I'll invest in AR.

SE is useful in almost all DDs, but RU DDs especially so.

 

And most high tier RU DDs can actually go without CE. I have CE on my Leningrad, but that's more or less a Minsk with decent range torpedoes, so CE is more useable. I think the Ognevoi-Grozovoi line also benefits from CE.

 

Also, I think PT is better than PM for a first skill since it tells you when you might want to disengage.

 

EM is nice, but only the Minsk (and Leningrad) have the painfully slow turrets. And if you've played the Gnevny, which has the same turrets, you probably know how to deal with it. Ognevoi stock guns and Kiev and Tashkent have slightly faster but still slow turret traverse.

 

As for tactics, like has been said before, run and gun. You can also look for opportunities to use your speed to sneak around islands for surprise torpedo strikes. But with the 4km torps, that's most often too much work to be worth it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
9,958 battles
22 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Hmmm, may need to re-spec my Captain then. I took PT, Last Stand (a must for DD's imo), Survivability Expert and AFT. I took SE so I could take a few extra hits from cruisers etc., but I'm not sure how useful it is. When I get 12 points I'll invest in AR.

I will be honest here, most of my RU DDs have  17  skill points. Usually my build needs atleast 15 points. I don't use SE or LS and use all skills to improve gun power.

Kind of extreme so I don't know if thats for you, but the general consense is that the strength of this line lies within their guns, specially the ability to burn down ships.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Runegrem said:

EM is nice, but only the Minsk (and Leningrad) have the painfully slow turrets. And if you've played the Gnevny, which has the same turrets, you probably know how to deal with it. Ognevoi stock guns and Kiev and Tashkent have slightly faster but still slow turret traverse.

I actually use EM also with Kiev and Tashkent, from Gnevny onwards actually all my main line DD except Khaba have the same build. The advantage is that you can turn without losing the ability to focus on a target. Even Kiev and and Tashkent have a faster rudder than their guns can keep up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
9 minutes ago, Desteban said:

I will be honest here, most of my RU DDs have  17  skill points. Usually my build needs atleast 15 points. I don't use SE or LS and use all skills to improve gun power.

Kind of extreme so I don't know if thats for you, but the general consense is that the strength of this line lies within their guns, specially the ability to burn down ships.

If that works for you, sure, go with it, but general consensus seems to be that playing any DD without LS is suicide. One broken engine can be repaired, but getting it broken again happens every now and then, and without LS you're a sitting duck. SE I find is good for improving your staying power, which leads to more damage done during a match.

 

9 minutes ago, Desteban said:

I actually use EM also with Kiev and Tashkent, from Gnevny onwards actually all my main line DD except Khaba have the same build. The advantage is that you can turn without losing the ability to focus on a target. Even Kiev and and Tashkent have a faster rudder than their guns can keep up with.

I assume you're not talking about the Ognevoi line there since that line has the same turret traverse as the Kebab.

 

And yeah, EM is nice to have for those ships, especially if you don't plan on using the same commander on the Kebab or if you can spare the elite xp to reset his skills. But I wouldn't sacrifice LS for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
9,958 battles
5 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

If that works for you, sure, go with it, but general consensus seems to be that playing any DD without LS is suicide. One broken engine can be repaired, but getting it broken again happens every now and then, and without LS you're a sitting duck. SE I find is good for improving your staying power, which leads to more damage done during a match.

Not having LS forces  you to be aware of your surroundings and make decisions that won't kill you immediately. On the other hand it helps you dealing dmg :cap_cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
2 minutes ago, Desteban said:

Not having LS forces  you to be aware of your surroundings and make decisions that won't kill you immediately. On the other hand it helps you dealing dmg :cap_cool:

Kinda. You need to be aware of your surroundings anyway. But you can play more aggressively, which is more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles

My build currently for Minsk is, PM, PT, LS, AR, EM, BFT, AFT, 17 pnt Captain, when I get the final 2 I will reset them, if I don't need EM for the T8+, then that will give me 4 points (or 5 if I lose the PT), maybe DE+?.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
2 minutes ago, philjd said:

My build currently for Minsk is, PM, PT, LS, AR, EM, BFT, AFT, 17 pnt Captain, when I get the final 2 I will reset them, if I don't need EM for the T8+, then that will give me 4 points (or 5 if I lose the PT), maybe DE+?.

DE or SE, depending on your preference. But it might be a good idea to wait until you actually get the Kiev before you reset the skills so you can test how it feels first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles
23 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

DE or SE, depending on your preference. But it might be a good idea to wait until you actually get the Kiev before you reset the skills so you can test how it feels first.

I have the Kiev unlocked (and have taken her out twice so far, still have Minsk until I unlock the Ognevoi, then it will be farewell to a fairly painful, lonnnnggg, grind (for a T7).

(I have the Leningrad,. so no need/purpose to keep Minsk).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

I have the Kiev unlocked (and have taken her out twice so far, still have Minsk until I unlock the Ognevoi, then it will be farewell to a fairly painful, lonnnnggg, grind (for a T7).

(I have the Leningrad,. so no need/purpose to keep Minsk).

Ah. Well, I haven't actually played the new Ognevoi, but I hear it's fairly different from the rest in that it's a mediocre at best gunboat while the torps are... useable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
On 2/25/2018 at 2:11 AM, __Poi__ said:

Up until this point I was able to get by smoke HE spamming...

When you see 25mm plated side like Arizona/NM, Colorado or Nagato and such load AP and fire at upper belt below deck!

With five guns 2-3k salvos should be regular with good aim until damage saturation starts kicking in.

Doesn't take that long to take 10k from some BB that way and unlike fire damage only 50% of that is healable.

 

And use AP all the way to AFT range, because flat trajectory maintains good hitting angle.

Heck, if penetration coefficient weren't super bad Soviet 130mm AP would likely citadel most cruisers up to 10km range.

 

 

On 2/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, Runegrem said:

If that works for you, sure, go with it, but general consensus seems to be that playing any DD without LS is suicide. One broken engine can be repaired, but getting it broken again happens every now and then, and without LS you're a sitting duck. SE I find is good for improving your staying power, which leads to more damage done during a match.

Playing purely as long range spammer might actually work without LS, because with Minsk's speed you can make yourself hard target to hit.

And speed allows fast moving to other position after cloaking.

But for any ship going to use torps and contest caps certainly see LS mandatory at that tier...

Considering radar becoming more common and also range of hydro increasing.

Anyway without usable torps Minsk certainly doesn't have much use for CE freeing points.

 

But anyone using LS in Gremy is playing it wrong, those two points are needed to have cruiser/Scharnhorst level gun traverse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×