Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RedAnark

Is the Budyonny worth to if...

33 comments in this topic

[TRRC]
Players
690 posts

I've another quick question:

I already have Tier VI CAs Graf, Aoba, Leander, La Galisson... , I've bought and played few battles with Kirov bulk and not very happy for the frustrating problems of maneuvering it. And the glass structure.

Should I take advantage of the promotion for soviet ships for this wend, plus the fact that I already have her 10 sk Captain from the old Mission, and take the Budyonny, spending 37000 gold xp and 2.100.000 credits? Is it worth compared to Kirov?

Txs for your povs!

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles

Budyonny is really strong - fast, good armor, high dpm and range, hasty shell arcs. Totally worth the credits - but if the discount if worth the gold is up to you. 

[CATS]
Players
24,758 posts
13,694 battles

It is a good ship, but I would never use Free XP for her.

If you cannot get Kirov to work for you, Buddy will not be much of a improvement. Buddy is a bit tougher, but her playstyle is similar.

• Cool 3

Players
886 posts
16,478 battles

It's funny that Buddy actually has better armor than the Shchors. It is easily one of the best T6 cruisers and if played correctly it can handle being uptiered quite well. 

I wouldn't recommend spending free xp however. Do you have any camos or flags that you can use on the Kirov? If anything it will prepare you for the playstyle of Soviet cruisers 

Edit: ninja'd by @ColonelPete

Edited by Freyr_90

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,146 posts
28,659 battles

Budyonny is a great ship, fast accurate shells, good range of 16.6 km, deadly torps but only 4km range, but will wipe out most T6 BB's when in a last resort situation, but if you find it hard in the Kirov, then maybe you should leave it, you need to know how to play Russian cruisers to make them work for you.

Master the Kirov, then you will enjoy the Budyonny and the Tiers after that.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I put my 19 point captain that I earned whilst grinding up the entire RU Cruiser line back into a Budy. Moskva needs a different captain so I've got the 19 point one in Kutuzov and Budy to farm Elite XP...

I'd also recommend learning ships instead of using Free XP. Buying modules yes but otherwise you could probably use the experience.

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,146 posts
28,659 battles

@RedAnark

1 more thing, if you ask other players for advice on a ship you may be interested in, it may be best to let your stats be available and not hidden, a lot of advice given, will depend on how you personally play that certain class of ship.

[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,020 battles

Buddy is a fantastic ship, prolly one of the best CAs at tier VI, so def worth the investment.

Don't know about the Kirov comparison however. Might be just me, but I HATED that ship and just couldn't make her work. First time I free XP'd something actually. Guns were pretty good, but that's where the good news end. Other than the guns, it's like a floating brick that will get citadelled should a shell land in the same post code.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

First rule of WoWs is that spending free XP should be restricted to ship modules on ships that are especially bad at stock, and purely as a last resort. Free XP is perhaps one of the most valuable free asset in the game, and as the Missouri is leaving the tech tree in a couple of days players are sternly reminded of how expensive it is to get free XP.

As for the Bud, I made the Kirov work for me despite having my priority target counter permanently with numbers above 5. The Bud felt anemic stock and very hard to maneuver

Once fully upgraded it's bearable but it feels purely like a Kirov with faster reload. You are still easy to citadel and every salvo from a BB can be a devastating strike. Only if you master the Kirov you can enjoy the Bud.

CA gameplay, especially Russian is based around not being seen, or being good at dodging shells and managing multiple enemy incoming salvos as you kite away and shoot with the back turret. The stand out annoyance is that your shooting range is almost exactly the range at which you are spotted, and the BBs that will hunt you can see you and shoot you far beyond your range as you normally face T8s. Fire chance is the gimmick of the line, bit I have had plenty of games on it with over 100 shells and at most 2 fires, even with Demolition Expert...

• Cool 1

Players
7,443 posts
8,257 battles
1 hour ago, Turin7 said:

Buddy is a fantastic ship, prolly one of the best CAs at tier VI, so def worth the investment.

Don't know about the Kirov comparison however. Might be just me, but I HATED that ship and just couldn't make her work. First time I free XP'd something actually. Guns were pretty good, but that's where the good news end. Other than the guns, it's like a floating brick that will get citadelled should a shell land in the same post code.

Isn't that most Russian cruisers?

In fact, Budyonny is a short break inbetween the Kirov and the Shchors, where you for one tier have an actual semblance of armour (though it still is light, so don't get too daring), can actually turn and your AA is marginally better. If OP hated Kirov, Budyonny might still be worth it, but Shchors absolutely not, as it returns to garbage handling and eating citadels from any angle. I liked the Russian cruisers, but if you hated Kirov, I wouldn't go beyond Budyonny. If you like La Galissoniere though, Budyonny is just straight up better.

[L4GG]
Players
2,681 posts
9,853 battles
3 hours ago, RedAnark said:

I already have Tier VI CAs Graf, Aoba, Leander, La Galisson... , I've bought and played few battles with Kirov bulk and not very happy for the frustrating problems of maneuvering it. And the glass structure.

Should I take advantage of the promotion for soviet ships for this wend, plus the fact that I already have her 10 sk Captain from the old Mission, and take the Budyonny, spending 37000 gold xp and 2.100.000 credits? Is it worth compared to Kirov?

Txs for your povs!

Buddy it's simply the best.

Budyonni was one of the last ships I unlocked in t6 (Nurnberg was the last one).

there was a time before buddy, and a time after buddy.

where all but... so far 3 weren't dwarfed by it. (Kuma, Nurnberg and gneisenau)

rail guns, tough as hell, quick and deadly.

I brawled bbs with it, some until the 4km torps hit the mark, other times until the bitter end (only one cruiser do it better, gneisenau, the uber cruiser)

I hunted dds with it, so many dds like there was no tomorrow 

I brawled t7 and t8 ships with buddy.

I tanked so much with that ship, sometimes against two bbs at once.

Now, if you keep it as they say at distance spamming HE, you will reduce to cinder many bbs. And you will do even better with it.

the only weakness it have it's cvs. And treat t8 dds if they were cruisers (just the Kidd, I've got 2 under buddy's belt)

But, oh boy, and if you put a premium camo...

If it is worth spending whatever?

there's not a single cruiser in all the lines up to t7 , and some t8 that's more worthy.

Get your buddy, get the hang of it. And you will be [edited]scary.

Akatsukis, Bensons, Kidds, Nagatos, Tirpitzs, Bismarks, GCs, Prinzs, N.O.s, Pensas, Hippers, Shchors, Yorks, Bayerns, Kongos, Fusos, ...

Despite the huge citadel you can brush BBs shells pretty much unscaved if you play it right.

Great guns, trollish armour .

It's my all time favourite ship.

Pure Stalinium.

p.s. it have a huge turning circle, so plan it accordling

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It is a good ship, but I would never use Free XP for her.

If you cannot get Kirov to work for you, Buddy will not be much of a improvement. Buddy is a bit tougher, but her playstyle is similar.

This is true.

Budy is a good ship, but very similar to Kirov and then Chappy is similar to Budy. Styles are much the same.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Some users are referring to the Buddy having armour. I can see it in the port view, but it usually disappears just before the first Dev strike of the day. When I go back to port it's visible again though. :cap_old:

• Funny 2

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Some users are referring to the Buddy having armour. I can see it in the port view, but it usually disappears just before the first Dev strike of the day. When I go back to port it's visible again though. :cap_old:

True it's really not armoured, even angled a lot of BB's will dev strike, this holds true to Donskoi which has a bit more and the Moskva which has more again and is OKish bow on.

[S-L-C]
Beta Tester
205 posts
1,020 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Isn't that most Russian cruisers?

In fact, Budyonny is a short break inbetween the Kirov and the Shchors, where you for one tier have an actual semblance of armour (though it still is light, so don't get too daring), can actually turn and your AA is marginally better. If OP hated Kirov, Budyonny might still be worth it, but Shchors absolutely not, as it returns to garbage handling and eating citadels from any angle. I liked the Russian cruisers, but if you hated Kirov, I wouldn't go beyond Budyonny. If you like La Galissoniere though, Budyonny is just straight up better.

Couldn't tell you, as I recently started the grind myself.

This doesn't fill me with confidence, though I had a hunch Buddy was the odd one out. I remember going through the stats and noticing that Buddy was the only one that didn't need 8 football fields worth of space to turn...

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. From Chapayev onwards the RU CA's seem really interesting so I'll have to persevere.

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Yeah.

I do however agree that it's possible to have great games on it, but any mistake is costly. It has no gimmicks besides a quick reload (although similar to the reload of the other T6s) and a perceived increased fire chance (my baguettes start a lot more fires and more consistently though).

[L4GG]
Players
2,681 posts
9,853 battles
2 minutes ago, Turin7 said:

This doesn't fill me with confidence, though I had a hunch Buddy was the odd one out. I remember going through the stats and noticing that Buddy was the only one that didn't need 8 football fields worth of space to turn...

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. From Chapayev onwards the RU CA's seem really interesting so I'll have to persevere.

If you take notice of the particularities of buddy.

have no fear you will eat them raw.

Gridding that ship was a breeze and was so fast.

Don't think about chapayev yet.

Enjoy Buddy. Take your time, savour the moment.

At the moment Shchors seems straight out a downgrade, and judging what they say, about the others, pretty much squishy until Moskva.

In fact this seems to me like another buddy.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,305 posts
15,733 battles
5 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

If it is worth spending whatever?

there's not a single cruiser in all the lines up to t7 , and some t8 that's more worthy.

You keep forgetting Pensacola, your true favourite :cap_like:

I'd save the Free XP for something more fun. In Buddy you'll be farming cheap bb damage on max range.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,224 posts
14,240 battles

Hi all,

9 hours ago, RedAnark said:

Txs for your povs!

Both "Budyonny" and "Shchors" that comes after it are fantastic ships when used they are intended to be used (and with proper captain) - 100% recommended! :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[2CMF]
Players
123 posts
9,457 battles

Budyonny is the only ship were I've been close to obtaining Kraken = makes mediocre captains look good. :cap_cool:

It's an amazing ship, an accurate HE machinegun that wrecks everything you target as long as nobody one-shots you. Compared to the Kirov, it is more agile and artillery is quite better. You will hit them a lot, burn them a lot, and sink them a lot. As I said, it's the only ship where I would get 4 kills with any regularity...

[L4GG]
Players
2,681 posts
9,853 battles
7 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Buddy, behaves surprisingly well against ap rounds when angled right up to a certain distance, after that threshold, when the trajectory of incoming shells goes flatter, that's when they start to make serious damage to buddy.

Apart from this you can't be too much open when they hit you, buddy have a huge citadel easy to hit.

But if you are familiar with buddy and you pick any other t6 cruiser not only you are able to do things that probably you never suspected but also you simply can't get away with those exactly same things with any others t6 cruiser.

That can leave you open to overconfidence.

Just try to balance things out and you'll be fine.

I've been in somewhat comic moments with buddy.

Like I was rushing a Nagato (tricky thing to do) and the guy was running from me. Ahahahahahah.

A free Nagato.

In that battle I rushed two more Us BBs (not at the same time), sinking one and making heavy damage to the other one before I was sunk.

Yes, player skills count as armour as well.

the guy was going to  ram me (I was pushing for a while) and I had to avoid that and launch torps, so he just waited for that moment to fire his volley. (and by that time I was with +- 25 hp )

I 'ad another battle where I got deleted with a single shot without dev strike while going to a cap (beginning of a battle), guess I was showing broadside to a BB that was in miles away in another cap zone. 

Players
7,443 posts
8,257 battles
7 hours ago, Turin7 said:

When I started playing Shchors, I was not too amused. The ship is a true testament to Soviet naval engineering. Its main battery is superb (because the game does not care about the barrel wear these guns realistically would have had and which I guess noone considered because they just cared about showing Stalin cool-looking numbers), while the rest of the ship frankly is only good in the speed it has in a straight line. It has an underwhelming rudder shift, to obtain the speed it is long enough to need 900 metres turning radius, which in its MM spread is only beaten by carriers and the T9 BBs, it is quite large and hard to miss and it eats a lot of citadels. Its AA is practically a joke too and the only way this oversized piece of junk is acceptable as a T7 instead of being just straight up worse than the Cleveland (which has the same main gun configuration and is in all other regards a better ship), is that it has not got Cleveland ballistics. I mean, look at it. The closest matches in other nations are the Cleveland and the Fiji/Edinburgh/Neptune, which all have the same gun configuration on a ship that is less faulty and the closest IJN match would be the 155 mm Mogami, which has its own issues, but at least the Japanese managed to fit another gun turret on it. But well, the game balanced them around a bit, I just think one should take a moment to appreciate how the Soviet cruiser line with its mostly never build designs is filled with ships that only perform well because they don't have to deal with IRL issues. Not that it is necessarily bad, it's a game after all. USN torpedoes also don't fail to detonate and IJN ships don't randomly disintegrate or roll over when a typhoon hits the map.

Now, for the Shchors in our game, as said, the hull is practically a giant disappointment, except for its speed and the guns are practically the one thing this ship has to salvage the trainwreck it is. And either you can make the guns work and you have an actually enjoyable experience, or you can't and have a ship that is the T7 equivalent of the Königsberg. This ship is not bad. I liked it, though I had to get used to it and get the steering gears mod for a rudder shift that is actually workable, but if you have IFHE and spam HE at max range (best from behind cover), this ship can be brutal. I found this ship to also not care much about matchmaking, because whether you sit in a T5-7 or in a T7-9 match, you practically play the same. DDs are easy kills across the MM spread, if they pick a fight with you, BBs all can one-shot you, be it a Giulio Cesare or an Iowa (Giulio has better concealment though), so you want to farm them from afar anyway, other cruisers you might fight, if angled, though best also dealt with if they are distracted and you delete them with accurate broadside of AP, carriers will be a pain regardless of tier, because your AA may as well not exist. So, T9 matches are practically just more exp. I do recommend premium spotter plane on this ship, because it is extremely valuable, extending your maximum range and giving you the raised camera for shooting over islands, both things that you should heavily rely on and nothing is as fun as sitting behind three islands and playing HE cancer vs an Izumo or Nelson that tries to bow-tank and reverse.

It's also telling that WG deemed the stats of the ship good enough that Chapayev is practically a Shchors with a radar and maybe a bit better AA. But same guns, 890 m turning circle instead of 900 m, still no appreciable armour.

• Cool 1

Players
2,799 posts
15,742 battles
13 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

It's funny that Buddy actually has better armor than the Shchors. 

Buddy has just enough armor to take citadels instead of overspend compared to kirov. 

It's a great ship played to its strength (stay 14+ km from all BB or shoot from cover)

Also it's AP is devastating even from long range.

[SINT]
Players
687 posts
19,221 battles

Budyonny is a good, i never sold it after moving upwards.  Lean to play Kirov first so you can learn to play russian cruisers tier 5-9. No need of free xp-ing. When you play Budyonny after kirov you love the relative extra armour. Dont get used to if since you will play Shors afterwards which will resemble a non armoured floating citadel with 1/3 more guns.

Budyonny and all light soviet cruiser after that do need IFHE (and DE to compensate the fire change loss) so a lvl 10 captain is very reasonable to start with. Additionable concealment will be very handy too.

Sign in to follow this