Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blood_Rave_1984

Can anyone help me on my BB tactics?

20 comments in this topic

Players
166 posts
810 battles

I'm trying to get away from sniping to mixing it up at medium, what's the best way to transition from long to medium range combat?

I want to avoid close range as much as possible but still be in the fight to help the team

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,321 battles
14 minutes ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

BBs: I'm trying to get away from sniping to mixing it up at medium, [.....] but still be in the fight to help the team

If you are above T 8 km on T III you are doing it wrong.

If you are above 11 km on T IV yo are doing it wrong.

If you above 14-15 km on T V you are doing it wrong.

If you are above 17 km on you are doing it wrong on some VIII manly IX-X.

Consider at least 1/3-1/2 of that upper limit the "width" of a medium range engagement and position yourself accordingly.

14 minutes ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

, what's the best way to transition from long to medium range combat?

Make sure you are constantly hitting stuff and stay within effective gun range. People normally dont understand this but lots of targets (and a BB is a very durable target indeed) means heavy resistance to the enemy. Likewise, a BB firing (with even half decent aim) from effective gunrange is a menace ........ and dead enemy ship usually do very little damage in rerturn.

I would recommend ships like the Bayern. Those guns are freaking bad, that unless you can roll the shells over a beam-bridge onto the enemy deck, you wont/hit and pen anything. That should help you with the "urge" to get closer.

Likewise spec manual AA to keep Sky Cancer away and for the rest the invulnerable citadel and good armor to both AP and HE of Bayern will keep you alive probably longer than it balance wise should.

Lastly: Bayern is also manoeuvrable and acceptably fast for a mid tier BB ....... just dont rush higher tier german BBs with torps ......

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
88 posts
14,315 battles
12 minutes ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

I'm trying to get away from sniping to mixing it up at medium, what's the best way to transition from long to medium range combat?

I want to avoid close range as much as possible

Sure u do ... U are a BB.... Its not like u have a lot of HP and Heals.

Players
7,403 posts
8,205 battles

Clicking W key and A and D keys to get closer? Don't present broadside, fire at opportune targets, keep an eye on others. You want to take some damage for allies, which means you want to push, but you also don't want to be on your own, because then you are just being farmed.

I'd recommend USN or IJN BB lines.

[CATS]
Players
24,639 posts
13,654 battles
  • Move towards a cap your team is attacking and that is covered by at least one of your DD
  • Move for an island near that cap (if you have to show too much broadside later on, it might be a good a idea to sail sideways for a bit, until you are spotted)
  • When going angled towards the enemy, you can open fire, when you are at the right distance, you can slow down if not in danger by torps or planes, if nobody is shooting you, you can open up to get more guns on enemy
  • if you get focused, you speed up, and turn around behind that island, that nobody can shoot at your broadside
  • then you sail away at full speed until you can disengage
  • repeat

Players
1,994 posts

I have BB's from Tier III to Tier X.

I never camp/snipe or hide and try to ensure I have at least 1 other BB besides me when going into a fight.

I don't rush into the battle, but I don't cower either, usually I battle with clan mates or try to tie alongside other BB players.

Avoid showing broadsides to the enemy and always watch the mini map so that you do not get boxed by the enemy. If you get boxed by 3 or more enemy ships chances are you will be sunk because you cannot protect all flanks at one time. If you are boxed try to kill the lowest HP ship first... Lock secondaries on another.

Try to memories the strengths and weaknesses of opposing ships. Example, the Missouri, Montana and Yamato have excellent range of fire and Conqueror is just a fire demon.

Certain Cruisers have a higher % chance of causing fire than others, don't be fooled thinking fires don't kill, certain Cruisers like Minotaur carry torpedoes that have a good range and pack a punch as well as a good rate of fire from main guns, which don't punch too hard as individual shells but in numbers do take away HP significantly. Again, there are cruisers that with CE have a detection level of less than 9km...

Certain destroyers have better concealment and can therefore sneak in closer undetected to launch torpedoes. Other Destroyers pack a punch as hard as a Cruiser with their main armament..I have seen a Khaba sink 3 Battleships in succession.

Unless an enemy Destroyer is close to you (10km) or less your chances of hitting them are not great, always try to lock secondaries on Destroyers whether you have the skill or not and again be aware of their positions so that you don't put yourself in a position where they can torpedo you from behind rocks. If you see a destroyer to your front angle your ship head on so if torpedoes do come you have a good chance of avoiding them. Maximize your secondary gun range as much as you can using your upgrades, secondaries can hurt and the obvious close combat flags you attain from a secondary kill help you further.

As a BB player if there is an enemy Aircraft carrier I will not solo as you are an easier target for the aircraft.

It is vital that you always watch the mini map and if you find yourself suddenly alone withdraw if the enemy face you in numbers. If you are running stay off your guns.

BB's if played right can win battles... In my Kurfurst I alone took on 5 ships of which I sank 4 with the 5th ship running... it doesn't always go that way and I am always learning new tricks.

I prefer my German BB's to others.

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

-> First let your DD`s recognize which enemy DD`s arrived in your neighbourhood.
-> Don`t open fire as soon as the first enemy is spotted. Close distance as much as possible in regards to enemy DD lineup (general, or specific if your DDs already spotted whatever DD enemy sent on your side), or open fire when broadside cruisers are spotted (usually spotted after battleships)

-> Prioritize enemy DDs unless there is full-hp broadside Yamato 5km infront of you. Blap DDs each and every time they are spotted.
-> First consider how you are going to get out, then how to get in, so you don`t have to suddenly do a 360-full-broadside-turn.

-> Keep in mind that you are an XP pinata for DDs, and they do track your movement.

• Cool 1

Players
1,895 posts

Get to mid range. Angle,  Point and click. 

Shoot important targets instead of wasting salvos on other BB's 25km away. 

Try not overextend. Good idea to look at the minimap and see if you have teammates close to you. 

Players
123 posts
3,950 battles
52 minutes ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

I'm on Konig at T5, Orion at T4 , Wyoming at T4 and Myogi at T4. 

At low tiers, I try to avoid 5km and less and attack from 10-6 km

König and Wyoming are good ships to learn ideal BB gameplay.

I assume that you avoid brawls because you sustain heavy damage.

Learn to angle and maneuver your BB thereby minimizing damage. Showing a lot of your ship's side to another BB will not end well for you. I recommend you to first wait for your opponent to shoot you while you are angled and then you try giving him a return gift. Never brawl more than one ship at a time(At least when you are learning the basics). If you lack support, wait for the right time and/or slowly retreat, but don't make yourself useless by just running away. Punish ships that are off guard(not paying attention to you). Learn to pick your brawl.  This comes with experience. Brawls are pretty thrilling. Just make sure you don't:

1)make yourself too vulnerable

2)get handicapped in a 1v1+ situation 

3) aim badly

4) over extend

All the best!:cap_like:

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,765 posts
18,383 battles
1 hour ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

I want to avoid close range as much as possible but still be in the fight to help the team

@Blood_Rave_1984 I will have an hour or two later... pop onto our Teamspeak and I will show you the joys of in your face Battlesheep play !

Players
166 posts
810 battles
3 minutes ago, GeneralSavage said:

König and Wyoming are good ships to learn ideal BB gameplay.

I assume that you avoid brawls because you sustain heavy damage.

Learn to angle and maneuver your BB thereby minimizing damage. Showing a lot of your ship's side to another BB will not end well for you. I recommend you to first wait for your opponent to shoot you while you are angled and then you try giving him a return gift. Never brawl more than one ship at a time(At least when you are learning the basics). If you lack support, wait for the right time and/or slowly retreat, but don't make yourself useless by just running away. Punish ships that are off guard(not paying attention to you). Learn to pick your brawl.  This comes with experience. Brawls are pretty thrilling. Just make sure you don't:

1)make yourself too vulnerable

2)get handicapped in a 1v1+ situation 

3) aim badly

4) over extend

All the best!:cap_like:

5km or less is torpedo country at low tier, I do admit to I fear the torpedo more than gunfire

Players
123 posts
3,950 battles
10 minutes ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

5km or less is torpedo country at low tier, I do admit but I fear the torpedo more than gunfire

You need to pick your brawls, as I mentioned. You certainly wouldn't want to allow any enemy with torps to come within your 5km bubble. With Wyoming,for instance, I prioritize shooting DDs under 11km because I know I can cause significant damage to him,provided my aim was perfect. Your gun's accuracy varies from ship to ship. You'll eventually learn to aim and know which enemy ship to prioritize depending on your range. American BBs are ideal for the gameplay that you desire, and they are excellent ships to learn BB play.

Players
166 posts
810 battles

I'll practice in co-op until I get it right, that way I'm not hindering any teams on PVP. Any mistakes I make in Co-op won't ruin a team's chances in PVP so I can learn from where I went wrong and see if I can do better next time.

Once, I'm ready for PVP then the real lessons begin.

Edited by Blood_Rave_1984
typo

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
1 minute ago, Blood_Rave_1984 said:

I'll practice in co-op until I get it right, that way I'm not hindering any teams on PVP. Any mistakes I make in Co-op won't ruin a team's chances in PVP so I can learn from where I went wrong and see if I can do better next time.

Once, I'm ready for PVP then the real lessons begin.

take up Cherry's invite, you will learn more in 1 battle with him than buggering about in coop.

Sign in to follow this