You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dCK_Ad_Hominem

Which silver ship YOU have played do you consider the most OP?

105 comments in this topic

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Hi all. 

I recently bought the Fletcher and have so far greatly enjoyed her. One thing that crept into my mind, however, was just how much she does for her tier. The US dds are the second line of dds I have played up to the top tiers. With the exception of the Mahan, and a little bit of disappointment in the Benson I enjoyed the line. I do, however consider the Fletcher to be too good for its tier for the following reasons:

- concealment: with the exception of the Yueyang the Fletcher will outspot any TX dd. Being that she is a fantastic gun boat this is pretty bad news for the Shima. Also, having just marginally fewer hp than the Gearing/Yueyang puts her into a position in which she can actually win the gun duel if she manages to get the first volley off  unanswered.

- torps: Up until this ship US torps always had drawbacks in form of low speed or short range. Fletcher torps however only have 1kn lower speed and 1.5km less range than the Yugumo's Type 93 mod 3s, while retaining 300m better concealment and just 4k less damage per torp. This combination allows her to get more hits on target than a dedicated torp boat. The higher alpha of the jap torps is mitigated by that, making the Fletcher the arguably better torp boat. 

- utility/versatility: The choice between speed boost and def aa is a compelling one. She becomes a ship a cv cannot easily strike out. On top of that she gets some of the best smokes in the game and quite a decent fire rate. This makes the torp -> smoke -> fire -> kill combination very easy. If angled correctly in the smoke getting torped becomes unlikely. Also, hardly any other dd will be willing to rush you.

This is not me calling for nerfs, but this nasty combination makes the Fletcher the most OP silver ship I've ever played. 

Which were yours? 

Edited by dCK_Ad_Hominem
Typo
  • Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,480 posts
38,373 battles

Yes interesting to talk about OP ships in the silver line, there has been a few that now has been nerfed sadly, Isokaze with old torps and Shiratsuyu (w smoke and Trb).

Most lower tier ships are Op in a veterans hands but I guess I have a few: Umikaze fast reloading farreaching torps at T2, and Duguay Troin and Orion at T4 that are very good even for a beginner.

You have ships like St Louis also but she is slow, maybe Nassau.

Chikuma at T2 are very rewarding for a good player who knows to aim, Bogatyr with a high end captain , DE, BFT, AFT is extremely good. She can take the AFT range far better than the other low-calibre crusiers at T2 and 3.But these ships have drawbacks that are making them less OP for a new player with low end captains

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,653 battles

Hindenburg

fiji

fletcher

pheonix

all ships I would have paid gold for they are that good

• Cool 1

Players
9,316 posts
10,951 battles

Fletcher, because she have everything except Russian speeds.

Fiji, great firepower, smoke, heal and hilarious maneuvreability.

[TACHA]
Players
1,371 posts
14,943 battles

In the right situation, Fiji - in my humble opinion, the high spot of the RN cruiser line. I don't fear any other Tier 7 Ca when playing except the Belfast and with team work, that is usually beatable. 

• Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
1,371 posts
14,943 battles

Oh, and the old Minekaze - this was the terror of the seas when I started - I have the Fujin which is the same as the un-nerfed Minekaze - clearly OP as was reported today in it!

• Cool 2

Players
842 posts
8,403 battles

Edinburgh gets my vote. Crazy concealment, crazy heal, prints dreadnought achievements like no tomorrow. Can stealth torp... and the List goes on.   

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,350 posts
9,471 battles

Fletcher is a one pesky ship I avoid in my yugo.. and shima..

But you cant be a better torp boat than yugo.. or even Kage...

But yes... fletcher is a ship must be avoided at all costs in an equal tier IJN DD

[-OAW-]
[-OAW-]
Players
72 posts
7,968 battles

Fiji, stealthy firepower powerhouse

Bismarck, think its the meta at the time when i was grinding it 

[YOBOY]
Players
981 posts
9,136 battles

I don't really see silver ships that are overpowered. Yes there are strong ones and really bad ones (Minsk says hello).

Fletcher is a strong DD but not imbalanced.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,863 posts
3,556 battles

Orion just wrecks everything she meets, so I'd say she is OP atm

Phoenix is a beast if you play her right but she is fragile.

Apart from that I cant really say any silver ship is OP, they all have their strengths and weakness's. It all depends on you the player and how you use them, and matching a ship to your play style.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
5 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Orion just wrecks everything she meets, so I'd say she is OP atm

This is the ship I'd go with as well. Sealclubbing aside, you have a ton of tanking power to withstand just about anything outside a focused torpedo strike, the HE will citadel all cruisers you meet and burn up everything you look at, and the AP will wreck any BB who thinks you're only shooting HE and shows a broadside. It's the kind of BB you go DD hunting in just to have something of a challenge.

1 hour ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

- concealment: with the exception of the Yueyang the Fletcher will outspot any TX dd. Being that she is a fantastic gun boat this is pretty bad news for the Shima. Also, having just marginally fewer hp than the Gearing/Yueyang puts her into a position in which she can actually win the gun duel if she manages to get the first volley off  unanswered.

For this reason, Shima should have better concealment. That's probably the most appropriate buff the ship could get. All other IJN DDs (except the odd duck) have good to great stealth.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,765 posts
18,383 battles

The thing is, that with the 'Silver' line ships, the ships are generally well balanced within their respective tiers. The Gold ships are the ones that tend to break the tier balance. here are my ideas to this thread.....

FE.... Tier 4 Nickolai was the undisputed King of Tier 4 for as long as I can remember now with the advent of Orion AND Shenyang this has now swung back the balance at T4.... my choice at T4 though would still be the Queen of Sealclubbers.... Isokaze.

Tier 5 Too many excellent Golds TBH... Kamikaze (and its' variants), GC, Gremlin etc etc.... Silver not such an easy choice...Probably Nicholas and/or Konig... Nicholas due to excellent anti DD duties and Konig due to brutal accuracy, and excellent tankability at short to medium ranges.

Tier 6... WOW....Not so many 'clearly' OP Gold lines... honorable mention to Gallant... but some truly outstanding Silver line ships..... OP ummmm that depends on how they are used IMO..... Fuso... Brutally OP in the right hands, Bayern Brutal (especially with AAA build) Cleveland for its tankiness and outstanding guns..... No clear winner for me at 6.... Very honorable mention to Buddy Holly though !

Tier 7 Gold... Too many borderline OP ships (again IN THE RIGHT HANDS) Belfast, Nelson, Scharny, Sims.... Silver line.... the undisputed King of T7 has to be Gadja Mada....followed by Fiji and (again in right hands) Nagato.....

Tier 8 Gold king has to be Trollpitz...... nah played right that thing is ridiculous..... Silver line... Bizzy, ... T8 doesnt real have any particularly clear 'OP' silvers again it all depends on who is playing them...

Tier 9 Fletcher, Chung Mu and Tashy

T10 none are clearly OP all have such individual characteristics hat it does become entirely 'operator' related.... Conq fire, Monty Alpha, Yammy Penetration, the DD's are well balanced as are the Cruisers...... there are obviously several slightly weaker ships but for most players the ship is not the main thing that affects the performance at T10.....

Look guys this is always subjective as to what you have personally played but these are my votes for the lines I have personally played... hope it was informative....

Cherry

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,243 posts
6,365 battles

Gadjah Mara is clearly overpowered for T7 : the gun DPM is so insane that you can fight any T8 DD with problem.

Players
203 posts
4,569 battles
1 hour ago, triumphgt6 said:

In the right situation, Fiji - in my humble opinion, the high spot of the RN cruiser line. I don't fear any other Tier 7 Ca when playing except the Belfast and with team work, that is usually beatable. 

^^This - and maybe Derzki on lvl 3 freakishly fun as I recall.

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
371 posts
18,196 battles

playing often Fiji, Gadjah Mada and Fletcher - all are really good ships, if OP, I'm not sure, but GOOD :)

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,765 posts
18,383 battles
20 minutes ago, Max_Kammerer said:

playing often Fiji, Gadjah Mada and Fletcher - all are really good ships, if OP, I'm not sure, but GOOD :)

Again with the GM a lot of what makes her OP is in how the operator deploys her..... 8KM DW torps to devastate BB's regardless of tier..... that Brutal short range RoF to ravage enemy DD's regardless of Tier.... the best and most useful smoke in the game... fast, agile and decent concealment..... she is the ultimate hit and run merchant... get in do massive damage to lone ships and then retire as soon as your victim gains some support..... Fabulous ship (just a shame that it's T7 RN sister) is to be totally butchered in comparison to GM...

My method with the GM is to build the ship for close range brawling...  NO AFT... NO range extension module.... (keeps your bloom super low) here is how I currently set my captain for GM and it is fab in its role of H&R bully....

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000001001010000010000117

Modules... MAM1 (slot 1) DCS1 (slot 2) SGM1 (Slot 3) SGM2 )slot 4)

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,464 posts
22,921 battles

really op none felt to me. but if asked for best silver on it's tier, given what it faces? as one once called it, can only be the only-true-t8-battlecruiser-floating-shotgun: fuso :Smile_Default:

Players
309 posts
6,030 battles

This might come off a little weird, but Tashkent (smoke) gets my vote.

Great DPM, crazy good torps, very fast, maneuverable and hard to hit.

Also, Myoko: Excellent firestarter, good torps, not too squishy