You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bartleby74

Bad teams: what do you do about them?

90 comments in this topic

[2CMF]
Players
123 posts
9,457 battles

Plain and simple, I am not happy about my behavior when I join bad teams. Either I YOLO tyring to cap or just vent out my frustration and go toxic on chat. But, maybe there are more options? And what would be those?

So I ask, what do you do when your team is bad?

Lemmingtrains, edgehuggers, "snipers", never-go-cappers, potato carriers, bots and the occasional Premium noob in a high tier, they all lead to terrible or non-existant teamplay and thus defeat. So, what do you do when only a miracle (or an even worse enemy teamplay) will get you a chance to win? :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,019 posts
10,248 battles

I do exactly the same as when my team is good.  I play as well as I can.

I know this comes as a shock to people like yourself but here it comes:  The teams you play against are on average just as bad as the ones you play with.

• Cool 19
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[TACHA]
Players
1,378 posts
15,046 battles

I have found myself in good teams and bad teams ; there are sometimes fantastic teams but this is rare, and there are sometimes awful teams and this is also rare. Most of the time there is a mix of good and bad players and sometimes I am good and sometimes I make a mistake and get deleted quickly. I win a bit over half the time and when playing well I come at the top or near of the score card. I do sometimes play well and lose and I do play badly and win. I do not blame my team but resolve to improve my play. I also am never salty in chat - Karma is now at 200 - but try to encourage co-operation. I always amuses me when someone starts calling the team [edited] when at the end they are poor scorers.

I don't division but that is the best way to ensure that at least one other player will be playing with you and will undoubtedly improve your win rate. I also play at a tier where I feel comfortable with the odd foray into the higher tiers - on the whole the Tier X battles tend to be very static and in my experience also has the greatest variation in skill levels demonstrated by players.

• Cool 1

[PNAVY]
Players
1,192 posts
38,018 battles

If i'm in a bad mood i yolo or die quickly cuz playing with bad teams is frustrating sometimes.

• Cool 2

[2CMF]
Players
123 posts
9,457 battles
12 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

I do exactly the same as when my team is good.  I play as well as I can.

I know this comes as a shock to people like yourself but here it comes:  The teams you play against are on average just as bad as the ones you play with.

I try to remember that to keep the toxicity low, but it's difficult in the middle of a row going on for 4 days, 3 victories and 18 defeats. Yesterday I got banned from chat and frankly, I always play as good as I can but  hate that feeling when you're 5 minutes into the battle and everything is going to hell because of terrible teamplay. There must be something else than YOLO or curse the team. isn't it?

[H_FAN]
Players
2,483 posts
38,529 battles
9 minutes ago, Bartleby74 said:

Plain and simple, I am not happy about my behavior when I join bad teams. Either I YOLO tyring to cap or just vent out my frustration and go toxic on chat. But, maybe there are more options? And what would be those?

Lemmingtrains, edgehuggers, "snipers", never-go-cappers, potato carriers, bots and the occasional Premium noob in a high tier, they all lead to terrible or non-existant teamplay and thus defeat. So, what do you do when only a miracle (or an even worse enemy teamplay) will get you a chance to win? :Smile_sad:

First of all it is a game... the other team may be equally bad, I try to do as good as possible, you know carry harder thread... at lower tiers in my favourite ships I maybe able to turn the battle or if you are in a DD or BB with Alpha strikes you may kite and try to hold on the other flank as long as possible, if there is on Two Brothers a Lemming train I choose sometimes the othar flank to defend it by kiting as long as possible. 

I try to have a positive mind - if a few very good players are in the long run enough aggresive and succesful - things might change - I try to have positive mindset as long as possible - only when the number of ships and overall situation deems no hope I despair. If you are in the right ship and right situation you might get really get good results. I have some of my best games in lost/difficult situations, the games that ypu really remember are the hopless ones , when you win like I did with 2 against 8, my teammate in a DD capped enemy cap, and i defended against 8!, when I finally succumbed he just had time to cap before enemy - sad that I could not see the enemy chat - memorable.

Besides when there is a Lemming train and you happens to be in front - if you start in a DD on left flank you go left on Two Brothers - if the whole team follows - what can you do - hardly reposition.

But a new game is minutes away.

Remember that even though a few early ship losses often lead to snowballeffect if the teams are of equal skill - the team may not have lost is most valuable members - the really good players may not have had time to influence the match and vice versa on the enemy team - (the positive effect in your mind when sinking 2 enemys shoul we not discount),

Also say that you feel that the team is Lemming - even good players have to make the decision to go with the lemming train or not - the correct way might be to join and push harder than the enemy- the alternative in a slow ship might be worse - there might sometimes be desicions well they might be objectively wrong but not unnatural -as the alternatives are worse- personally when the game start let us say on Okinawa - most players avoid a or the upper cap on the icy map- nevertheless if the teams (the DDs and others seems to decide for AB) it is often less chance to stubbornly refuse- I am of the opinion that a bad plan that the team adheres to hard and fast are far better than uncoordinated play.

Well the odds are worse than BC on Okinawa but some spread out and a Quick cap might work, at least better than the alternative no plan.

Edgehuggers ... more difficult - get some bad karma if you need to but otherwise hope that the rest of the team is good.

But it is a game no more - the key to blame bad teams is psychological - but be realistic - the teams are random and players might be good but just are placed in the spawn when they have little choice.

Personally I am a carrying player often in the lower tiers/mid tiers but less so the higher up I go as I play mainly cruiser there and are more a good support player, as the cruisers damage grow over time like with Kutuzov or Zao which are my favourite ships.

I enjoy playing with ships - so do not overreact on a team in a single game - I am realistic so if you feel that you had too many games in a row with bad teams, play some lower tier games where you carry the teams to get a positive feeling. I have my Bogatyr and Chikuma or now since the Christmas Boxes the new Dirty sealclubber - Gremyashy. So when you feel some games go against you play some games in ships that you like - do not grind a frustrating ship - I hated grind Donskoi f.e. and the RU DDs and they took very long time, the US cruisers I stopped at T8 Before they buffed T8 and 9. Choose ship lines that you like.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,483 posts
38,529 battles
3 minutes ago, Bartleby74 said:

I try to remember that to keep the toxicity low, but it's difficult in the middle of a row going on for 4 days, 3 victories and 18 defeats. Yesterday I got banned from chat and frankly, I always play as good as I can but  hate that feeling when you're 5 minutes into the battle and everything is going to hell because of terrible teamplay. There must be something else than YOLO or curse the team. isn't it?

Lower your tier that you play in with a ship you like, 21 games and 3 wins indicates you are part of the problem - not necessary because you are bad but you play on tilt - start with a low tier ship . I Always warm up in Bogatyr St Louis or the like in a easy to play ship with RoF (not BB low RoF or DD)- that means often 1 win easy in max 2 games and solid performance regardless and you do expect bad teams here, but the enemy is likely same.

Sets you in good mood.

• Cool 4

Players
271 posts
10,095 battles
On 2/24/2018 at 9:42 AM, Bartleby74 said:

Edited

Edited by Asklepi0s
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting rule violation

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
13 minutes ago, KHETTIFER said:

First and only game this morning, in the t5 French BB, T7 MM, all the T7 ships died in the first minute, and i'm not kidding, half the team gone in a minute! didn't even finish the game, Alt F4 and fired up EFT.

Best advice, just quit the game and play something that isn't a tragic mess.

Total BS.

• Funny 1

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Quite honestly: I have played enough wot to be relaxed when playing wows. u Usually just try to do my job. A bit tough if in bb and getting completely abandoned. In dds I will try to hard carry. Lost a number of 200k games this way. 

Due to clan policy I will mostly just swallow my anger and call people out in a somewhat constructive manner. It is usually if I perform poorly that I'm more frustrated. 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles
1 hour ago, Bartleby74 said:

Plain and simple, I am not happy about my behavior when I join bad teams.

I know that I do stupid things as I try something new that doesn't work out, or do something that I know is very risky that ends badly, make the wrong choice with hindsight etc etc. So I never vent or similar in-game when faced with a team full of people making all of those at the same time as I know that I am guilty of exactly the same.

Try and guide/advise (difficult with the language barriers) if you can and they are prepared to listen. But just accept that it will happen sometimes.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
2,681 posts
9,853 battles

Nothing fancy.

I try to make sure I take with me my "pound of flesh" before it ends.

When this happens, it takes the edge off of the defeat.

Players
203 posts
4,569 battles

Things is, even when things start off (seemingly) bad, like e.g. a full blown lemming train, you can't assume it's an automatic loss. Always find it funny when someone declares the battlle lost before we hit the 5 min mark or within the first 1 min even - and then we win anyway because the opposing team does something equally derpy - or just because everybody carries their weight and play together, lemmin train or not.

Generally I find that most people do their best and some of the worst players are often those that e.g. assumes that the DDs don'e know what they are doing if they do not yolo cap (but actually play tactically) or just calls everybody idi**ts  and think that'll motivate the team to do their bidding....:cap_hmm:

Well, anyway, I find that I myself play much better if I do not let myself get agitated by "Bad Teams" and instead focus on doing the best I can under any given circumstances, if just a few players does that, it can turn a "Bad Team" into a winning team. That said, somethimes it is really hard not to get salty but but asking/directing people nicely (without sarcasm) just have a better effect - so most of the time I succeed in either not saying a piip or formulating myself with a measure of good manners.

Point being, if I do not let myself get carried away with irritation over (seemingly) derpy actions by other players, I play better myself thus adding more to the chances og winning - and enjoying myself more.

And, yes, then there are just those day's when nothing works and where your better off turning of the computer and going for a walk instead. :cap_like:

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, Players
5,335 posts

Edited

Edited by Asklepi0s
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to advocating team kill

Players
806 posts
9,635 battles

Calling them EDIT quite satisfying. I managed to lose 2 kama last game, but it was already zero so nothing actually happened. Still, it was good to know I EDIT

Edited by Kampa1987
Promoting bad ingame behavior
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
948 posts
15,112 battles

On 2/24/2018 at 9:42 AM, Bartleby74 said:

After few matches i take a EDIT its so fun to watch i made a habbit out of it.

I stopped caring about my stats the same day and now im down 3% winrate to 48%, and steadily going down with some 10% daily wins out of 10+ games (if i get to play that is)...

Let the rage begin, i dont care.

Edited by Kampa1987
prmoting bad ingame behavior
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,037 posts
15 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

Nah, no rage. Just tagging in @Tuccy@MrConway@Sehales & co. Maybe they can find the time to look at the accounts of all of those bragging about rule breaking behavior in this thread and apply the necessary consequences if they find them to be true.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
On 2/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, Azalgor said:

After few matches i take a EDIT its so fun to watch i made a habbit out of it.

I stopped caring about my stats the same day and now im down 3% winrate to 48%, and steadily going down with some 10% daily wins out of 10+ games (if i get to play that is)...

We already know you are an attention seeking griefer from your numerous posts saying this...what a sad little life you must have to sit there battle after battle just watching ... you have an illness pal. (his last weeks 138 battles and bugger all damage etc backs this up). :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,146 posts
28,659 battles
2 hours ago, KHETTIFER said:

First and only game this morning, in the t5 French BB, T7 MM, all the T7 ships died in the first minute, and i'm not kidding, half the team gone in a minute! didn't even finish the game, Alt F4 and fired up EFT.

Best advice, just quit the game and play something that isn't a tragic mess.

Replay please... :cap_popcorn:

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
8 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Nah, no rage. Just tagging in @Tuccy@MrConway@Sehales & co. Maybe they can find the time to look at the accounts of all of those bragging about rule breaking behavior in this thread and apply the necessary consequences if they find them to be true.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

I hope they do something about this POS as he has been doing it for months and openly bragging about it.

• Bad 1

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,146 posts
28,659 battles
3 hours ago, Bartleby74 said:

You worry too much about your team, just play your own game and enjoy it, getting stressed about your team mates just causes you to play bad.

They probably want to win as much as you and play as well as you, but, other players have their own way of playing.

• Cool 5

[WD4O]
Players
29 posts
5,477 battles
4 hours ago, Bartleby74 said:

Competitive games are not for you then.

Players
126 posts
7,189 battles

Bad teams?

I try to remember that it's just a game. Then resolve to die well, making the opposition work for every point of HP and inflicting as much damage and chaos as I can before I am brought down. If I can't kite and spam then I charge and seek a glorious death.

If I get too many potato teams in a day then I jump in the Vampire and seal club. (Low tier teams are supposed to be awful so the rage just isn't there.)

Or I start playing with RU DDs that can ignore my team and happily harass the enemy on the flanks.