WingedHussar_Adler

RN DDs - any info?

14 comments in this topic

Players
2,199 posts
13,325 battles

so do we have any info?

we have couple of RN dds in game right now, aint we? Galant, t 3 ramme,  in "chinese" line we have 2, t7 is epic btw :)

so any info on full RN line?

[ETD5]
Players
295 posts
1,653 battles
1 hour ago, 15JG52Adler said:

thx.

are there any info about ships in line? new premium?

There's a future T7 DD, Cossack, and as far as I know, still work in progress. About the DD line, I cannot provide any information as I'm not able to remember is something appeared.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,955 posts
3,642 battles
2 hours ago, 15JG52Adler said:

so do we have any info?

we have couple of RN dds in game right now, aint we? Galant, t 3 ramme,  in "chinese" line we have 2, t7 is epic btw :)

so any info on full RN line?

Three actually. The tier 3, 5, and 7 are all RN ships. Respectively (WW1)R, Shakespeare, and N-class destroyers.

Players
526 posts
4,981 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

Three actually. The tier 3, 5, and 7 are all RN ships. Respectively (WW1)R, Shakespeare, and N-class destroyers.

HMAS Vampire was a V-class destroyer too. Britain had others like Vega, Velox, Valentine etc.

Players
4,058 posts
7,583 battles
22 hours ago, 15JG52Adler said:

thx.

are there any info about ships in line? new premium?

@Trainspite has some suggestions here: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/64198-royal-navy-tech-tree-proposal/#topmost

Based on the ships already in game I think we can make a reasonable guess at a likely line up:

1. n/a
  2. maybe Acasta, 3 guns, 2 x 1 torps;
  3. R class, in game as the PA Phra Ruang,
  4. V/W class, similar to Vampire but probably with 2 x 2 torpedo tubes and the 6km MkV;
  5. maybe a modified W class with 2 x 3 torps;
  6. G class, very close to Gallant;
  7. maybe an I class, 4 x 1 guns and 2 x 5 torps or L/M class with 3 x 2 guns but 2 x 4 torps;
  8. N class, in game as Gadjah Mada at T7 but borderline O/P with DWT, would be a good fit at 8 with regular Mk IX* off Edinburgh;
  9. Battle class, 5 x 4.5" guns, 2 x 5 torps;
  10. Daring class, 3 x 2 4.5" guns, 2 x 5 torps.

The big question is how to balance the 4.5" guns at T9/10 since 113 mm won't penetrate 19mm plate without IFHE but if you give the line the 1/4 HE rule then they'll be able to shred battleships with IFHE, perhaps a special 1/5 rule?

Players
526 posts
4,981 battles
25 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Based on the ships already in game I think we can make a reasonable guess at a likely line up:

1. n/a
  2. maybe Acasta, 3 guns, 2 x 1 torps;
  3. R class, in game as the PA Phra Ruang,
  4. V/W class, similar to Vampire but probably with 2 x 2 torpedo tubes and the 6km MkV;
  5. maybe a modified W class with 2 x 3 torps;
  6. G class, very close to Gallant;
  7. maybe an I class, 4 x 1 guns and 2 x 5 torps or L/M class with 3 x 2 guns but 2 x 4 torps;
  8. N class, in game as Gadjah Mada at T7 but borderline O/P with DWT, would be a good fit at 8 with regular Mk IX* off Edinburgh;
  9. Battle class, 5 x 4.5" guns, 2 x 5 torps;
  10. Daring class, 3 x 2 4.5" guns, 2 x 5 torps.

The big question is how to balance the 4.5" guns at T9/10 since 113 mm won't penetrate 19mm plate without IFHE but if you give the line the 1/4 HE rule then they'll be able to shred battleships with IFHE, perhaps a special 1/5 rule?

Looks good, but a part of me says that they will want to use paper designs for T10 and maybe 9. I see no reason to as that tech tree is pretty solid. I would love to see the L/M class at T7, could be a great DD hunter. As for T6, I think there was a G class finished with 5x 4.7" guns as a flotilla leader. Could be a fun ship to add, or premium?

Also, that /5 pen rule could be the 'gimmick' of the line, along with single-fire torpedoes. It would lead to a competitive line that doesn't feel weird, like RN BB's or cruisers.

• Cool 2

[CR-S]
Players
566 posts

Campbeltown is a very good boat, but she differs from the main line:

She has very strong torpedo-armament, but only three weak guns - of which you can only use two at the same time.

So to make her work you need a different captain than the main-line ships which are more gun-focused.

On the other hand, that doesn´t really matter at T3 :cap_hmm:

If you can afford her - get her.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,769 posts
6,917 battles
7 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

Campbeltown is a very good boat, but she differs from the main line:

She has very strong torpedo-armament, but only three weak guns - of which you can only use two at the same time.

So to make her work you need a different captain than the main-line ships which are more gun-focused.

On the other hand, that doesn´t really matter at T3 :cap_hmm:

If you can afford her - get her.

Which is not a problem since you should go hybrid/gunboat build anyways so no need for a new captain.

The Campbeltown is kind of meh IMO. It has a nice history and all but the awkward gunpower and single torp launcher really limits your effectiveness. Granted the torps are long range, but at tier 3 that hardly matters as knifefights are very common anyways. I would recommend a Wickes instead.

• Cool 1

[CR-S]
Players
566 posts
20 hours ago, ollonborre said:

The Campbeltown is kind of meh IMO.

in a way it is a British Shima - can be tricky but has potential.

I had the feeling that the question

On 10/6/2019 at 1:52 AM, FarQ2 said:

Is the Cambeltown any good for her tier?

was aiming at getting the premium ship Campbeltown, which is a fun boat but not a good captain-trainer for the British line :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,769 posts
6,917 battles
19 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

I had the feeling that the question

was aiming at getting the premium ship Campbeltown, which is a fun boat but not a good captain-trainer for the British line :fish_book:

My answer is broadly the same, the Wickes is a better boat, more fun imo and is free. 

Lower tier premiums are not very good crew trainers as the XP potential is really low so I would recommend not buying any premium below tier 4-5 for money currently. Coal is another question. And again fun factor is subjective.

If you want to train a crew grinding a regular tech tree or getting a tier 5+ premium is the way to go.

• Cool 1