50 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
1,201 posts
14,983 battles

Hi , i want to grind my next tier 10 cruiser

What line should i grind ?

USA: 

im at pensacola, .. dont know if i should becuase of the US Cruiser split.. The des moines <3

IJN:

Im at furutaka , yea stil at t5 with my ijn cruisers lol , i dont really want to grind through another myoko ship (Thx to the ARP ships). But Zao looks so nice <3

UK:

Just unlocked the Edinburgh.. dont know if i will enjoy the t8 match making in a ship that is essentially a worse belfast.. Minotaur best DD <3

Should i just skip her , i have a 100k free xp laying around, although i want to use it for akizuki. I really dont want to play edinburger

KM 

i think im still at koeningsburg , but i like the hindenburg DPM , and i am more afraid of them than the Zao if im in a BB.. Still a long grind this one

I dont know , what line should i focus on first?

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

So basically you want all the T10s but either don't like the ship you're on in each line or don't want to grind. I can kind of sympathise. Normally I recommend US but we don't know when the change will come and you're right if you don't already have them it's pointless grinding them now because they're basically all getting downtiered.

To be honest, Worcester could be even more silly than Minotaur and Des Moines, and you get a free bump to T8 in that line from Cleveland, so I guess wait for that split before grinding either US or UK so you can decide which of those 3 T10s you really want.

I would say IJN. Get over the Myoko and then enjoy. If you like ARP Myoko won't be a bad grind anyway.

• Cool 1

Modder
3,862 posts
6,933 battles

You should grind the US-line because of the upcoming spilt!

You will keep the the future downtierd ship, but you will also get the new added for free. And the DesMoines is the worthy goal, as she is a sure pick for all competative plays.

• Cool 1

Players
118 posts
2,956 battles

Funny... here you guys mention the Myoko as something that should be dreaded.. yet in the thread about tier 7 cruisers it is mentioned as the best overall cruiser at that tier.

Personally I liked the Myoko and play the ARP versions as my trainers.

Apart from that principat said it best. You will get most bang for your buck (playing time) if you go down the US line before the cruiser split.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Myoko is not bad, it's just boring, especially if you already played the fancy versions before you grind the silver one.

Des Moines is great and I love the US cruiser line (only line in the whole game I keep and play all ships T6 to T10). But at T7 to T9 they are not for everyone and a lot of people hate them. They will be stronger and easier to play probably after downtier so why grind while it's hard and make yourself hate nice ships? Either way you get a free ship and it's same grind from T7 to T10 both before and after split. But after split you might choose the CL line instead.

• Cool 1

Players
118 posts
2,956 battles

ARP are actually slightly worse. They can't fit camo. It won't change the gameplay though and if you found it boring then that won't change as well.

I for example like Aoba and I hate Cleveland and Nurmberg.

[IRQ]
Players
2,720 posts
6,638 battles

I'd just recommend the US line because of the split.

If you don't like Myoko, you're probably not going to like that line anyway. And that's a very fun ship to play.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
2 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

I'd just recommend the US line because of the split.

If you don't like Myoko, you're probably not going to like that line anyway. And that's a very fun ship to play.

Fun? 

As a cruiser main, Myoko was probably one of the most boring (but effective) ships I played in that line. 

Mogami can be great, especially as a 155 IFHE, and Ibuki is just baaaaad. In the end it's all worth it though for Zao. 

Players
1,648 posts
12,101 battles

I'd recommend RN for now - Edinburgh is not that bad and Neptune will be your reward for the grind (I like Neptune better than Minotaur). Give Edinburgh a try if you liked Fiji's playstyle.

I skipped the IJN line from Aoba to Zao for the same reason you don't want to grind. It cost approx. 500k free xp but Zao is very well worth it. Maybe you want to save up as well.

The KM line is... consistent but perhaps a bit boring. You are at fragile Königsberg so you can imagine what Nürnberg will be like (long range, good guns, no armor - there is a reason for the term "obligatory exploding Nürnberg" in every match). The heavy cruisers are jacks of all trades but master of none. I like them, especially the Hipper that I find way better than her reputation, but in the end they are all more or less the same, only with more guns and better hydro.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
728 posts
6,272 battles
1 hour ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

I'd recommend RN for now - Edinburgh is not that bad and Neptune will be your reward for the grind (I like Neptune better than Minotaur).

Care to explain why? I HATED Neptune!

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
5 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Care to explain why? I HATED Neptune!

Probably a question of taste :Smile-_tongue: I for one if I was feeling very trollish I'd fit Neptune out as an AA boat... Even w/o DefAA you get obscene AA.

Players
1,648 posts
12,101 battles

@Mr_Tayto Main reason are the turrets I guess. I simply like the combined firepower of 4x3 better than the constant hail of 5x2. Neptune is the last "conventional" cruiser of the line, i.e. ship that follows the Leander design. Minotaur differs greatly from that imho. It truly is a question of personal taste though.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
728 posts
6,272 battles

Fair enough @deadly_if_swallowed.

In early game, for me at least, Mino is about analysing where the enemy is (and will be in a few minutes), and setting up. Unless there's a really favourable situation like a lone DD without support, or a lone BB which is spotted by someone else, I won't fire. Mid game I'll be in position and rain-of-skill anything spotted within 12km for the full length of my smoke. If I'm really on the ball I will have positioned somewhere I can put a wall of torps out that the enemy can't escape due to islands, or proximity.

Where I struggled with Neptune (pre smoke firing nerf), was the set-up. The guns are consistent through the line, only weight of fire changes really. Mino can reposition and has a sliver of chance to escape a trap/bad situation, whereas I felt Neptune just died. Maybe it's just me.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,107 posts
11,620 battles

I've got USN, RN and RU T10 Cruisers.

I believe that covers all bases pretty much as I see little reason to grind Henri, Hinden or Zao.

If I had to go again I'd probably pick Hinden as the guns/armour seem the most solid...

Beware however, New Orleans is complete trash as a Cruiser. The MM will throw you constant T10 games and the AP guns simply do not pen higher tier Cruisers very effectively and the HE spam is poor as the guns reload so slowly. Balti however is very nice due to heal, superior AP performance and decent reload speeds.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,387 posts
13,800 battles

Get the Dank Memes.

BBs hate Dank Memes because it is a superb flamethrower.

Other cruisers hate Dank Memes because freedom shells.

DDs hate Dank Memes because 1 minute radar if you have the special upgrade.

CVs hate Dank Memes because AA is absolutely haram.

On a more serious note, you should pick the USN cruiser line because of the upcoming split as others have already stated. You'll basically get your money back along with new ships and maybe even a good chunk of free exp.

Be aware, though, that the USN cruiser line is one of, if not the most difficult cruiser line to play effectively in the current meta. If you get caught out of position in a USN cruiser you're almost guaranteed a quick return to port. And it is very easy for inexperienced players to go out of position.

Manage their inherent traits correctly however and you can exert tremendous influence over a match.

Master the USN cruiser line and you have mastered (conventional) cruiser play in general.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,720 posts
6,638 battles
15 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

Fun? 

As a cruiser main, Myoko was probably one of the most boring (but effective) ships I played in that line.

So why do you play the ship in a boring way, then?

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
1 hour ago, AnotherDuck said:

Because the ship doesn't let you do otherwise, as any attempt at dynamic play is highly constrained by the poor turret rotation and firing angles, and the turning circle makes aggressive moves risky as you're not getting back out. So trying to play it in a "non-boring" way gets you at best frustrated, at worst killed. It's basically a ship that dominates if you play cautiously and position well in advance but can't react quickly to a changing situation. Therefore strong but boring.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
1 hour ago, AnotherDuck said:

That was the only way I could make it work. 

The slow turret rotation meant that I mostly couldn't close the range and had to work as a mid-long range HE spammer. That yielded okay results, but wasn't fun at all (for me). 

[IRQ]
Players
2,720 posts
6,638 battles
3 hours ago, VC381 said:

Because the ship doesn't let you do otherwise

You mean you don't let the ship do that for you.

3 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

That was the only way I could make it work. 

The slow turret rotation meant that I mostly couldn't close the range and had to work as a mid-long range HE spammer. That yielded okay results, but wasn't fun at all (for me). 

I've always used hydro so I could get an extra edge in brawling and hunting destroyers, because that's something Myoko is good at. Tanky and agile enough to get away with rather aggressive play (only even remotely matched by Yorck at T7), and great guns to back that up. You can certainly play as a longer ranged HE spammer, especially if you don't see any good sitaution to dig into, but if you do, you've got the tools to do it.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
10 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

...in brawling and hunting destroyers, because that's something Myoko is good at. Tanky and agile enough to get away with rather aggressive play...

We can agree to disagree because it's probably a playstyle thing, but for me "brawling and aggressive play" and "slow turret traverse" are mutually exclusive. Tanky she is, and the rudder is fast but as I said turning circle is huge so overall I would say she's not agile either.

EDIT: Also having to show your entire broadside to incoming torps so you can use more than 40% of your firepower does not make a good DD hunter in my experience.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
3 hours ago, AnotherDuck said:

You mean you don't let the ship do that for you.

I've always used hydro so I could get an extra edge in brawling and hunting destroyers, because that's something Myoko is good at. Tanky and agile enough to get away with rather aggressive play (only even remotely matched by Yorck at T7), and great guns to back that up. You can certainly play as a longer ranged HE spammer, especially if you don't see any good sitaution to dig into, but if you do, you've got the tools to do it.

At any time I tried to get up close and personal, I got severly punished for it. If a Pepsi is coming for you, he is gonna take you unless he's *very* low on HP and you can burn him down. Why? Because a competent Pepsi player ike VC or myself can make a Myoko their female canine forever. 

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles
36 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

At any time I tried to get up close and personal, I got severly punished for it. If a Pepsi is coming for you, he is gonna take you unless he's *very* low on HP and you can burn him down. Why? Because a competent Pepsi player ike VC or myself can make a Myoko their female canine forever. 

In what way is a Pepsi going to win against anything that has torps at close range? I mean, even if he goes full BB brawl mode and pre-aims to one side you can just evade that side, it's not like pepsi has fast turrets either :fish_book:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
1 minute ago, gekkehenkie50 said:

In what way is a Pepsi going to win against anything that has torps at close range? I mean, even if he goes full BB brawl mode and pre-aims to one side you can just evade that side, it's not like pepsi has fast turrets either :fish_book:

It has 30s turret traverse vs 45 and Myoko's torps only fire in the aft quarter which is basically useless in a brawl. If it tries to unmask them it will get citadelled to pieces. Also you and @piritskenyer may have different definitions of close range, I doubt he meant point-blank.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles
1 minute ago, VC381 said:

It has 30s turret traverse vs 45 and Myoko's torps only fire in the aft quarter which is basically useless in a brawl. If it tries to unmask them it will get citadelled to pieces. Also you and @piritskenyer may have different definitions of close range, I doubt he meant point-blank.

Fair enough, though as I said, if you are going to broadside brawl a Pepsi with Myoko Ashigara-style I'd bet on the Myoko, she only has to turn to the side Pepsi isnt training her guns, run past and stick some longlances up Pepsi's side, or heck, just turn away and kite the Pepsi to death while spamming torps. Though my opinion on Myoko is to play her around 7-11km, where your AP is effective, your nearly guaranteed to three-salvo DDs, you're as good as in torpedo range, and you can use islands to mitigate your turret traverse and to disengage if needed

[IRQ]
Players
2,720 posts
6,638 battles
5 hours ago, VC381 said:

Tanky she is, and the rudder is fast but as I said turning circle is huge so overall I would say she's not agile either.

EDIT: Also having to show your entire broadside to incoming torps so you can use more than 40% of your firepower does not make a good DD hunter in my experience.

The turning circle isn't that bad. Slightly worse, but not nearly enough to make all the difference. It's not like you're in a Russian cruiser or something.

One, that's why I use hydro, and two, she's got a little better angles than "entire broadside" to shoot all guns. And if you do use all, you can shoot down a DD in two salvos, maybe less if it's not full health.

2 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

Why are you assuming a competent Pepsi player but not a competent Myoko player?

1 hour ago, VC381 said:

It has 30s turret traverse vs 45 and Myoko's torps only fire in the aft quarter which is basically useless in a brawl. If it tries to unmask them it will get citadelled to pieces.

Unless I'm brawling battleships (which I do on occasion), I don't rely on torps much. The decent turning means you can turn to shoot all or most of your guns and still get back to a good angle before a CA or BB can reload.

1 hour ago, gekkehenkie50 said:

Though my opinion on Myoko is to play her around 7-11km, where your AP is effective, your nearly guaranteed to three-salvo DDs, you're as good as in torpedo range, and you can use islands to mitigate your turret traverse and to disengage if needed

I like ambushing DDs in smoke with hydro, and at that range you can just blap them. Torpedoes are a risk, of course, but with hydro and a decent rudder you can avoid all or most of them.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this