You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VC381

How do I get more patches?

31 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I wasn't playing for a bit and I missed all the missions to collect animals and backgrounds for the patches. My selection is really small, except I got this wolf with a sword and I have no idea when or how. Is there a hidden mission? Is there anything I can do to make sure I collect more symbols and backgrounds?

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,186 battles

You can get them from containers yes....unfortunately you can also get duplicates, which is all I've been getting

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Yep, you can get them from daily containers but them being a rarer additional item plus the possibility to also get duplicates (which IMO should not be possible) might make it hard to collect all or the one you want.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Hmm, shame. Oh well, not that fussed, guess I'll evrntually get more in the long term or they might run new missions. Seems like a really dumb little thing to gate behind playing at a certain time.

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles
36 minutes ago, domen3 said:

You can get them from containers yes....unfortunately you can also get duplicates, which is all I've been getting

Huh, hadn't noticed we can get duplicate drops on these. What's even the point?

[NED]
Players
4,194 posts
11,706 battles

I got some duplicates from drops as well. My best guess is WG has initialized it first with some missions to see how it's being received by the PB. From what I'm reading lots of people like them. So I figure it'll come back in a more permanent manner.

But I would like to advice WG to make it optionally invisible. I absolutely don't care for emblems etc so I have modded it out.

• Cool 1

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
11 minutes ago, Turin7 said:

Huh, hadn't noticed we can get duplicate drops on these. What's even the point?

Guess it's because it's random generated and that's how the system works for all other items dropped in daily containers, I guess to program something different just for patches isn't a priority ...

[PUPSI]
Players
6,241 posts
Vor 1 Stunde, FallenOrchid sagte:

I think there is a chance to get them from containers. But I don't remember where I read this.

Patchnotes 0.7.1.

it is again RNG stuff...my main account got 1 patch in 30 containers, my second account 5 patches in 22 containers...

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles

I don't want these, but at least if I get one I'm not getting another 4 commander slots.

[PUPSI]
Players
6,241 posts
Vor 1 Minute, Hedgehog1963 sagte:

I don't want these, but at least if I get one I'm not getting another 4 commander slots.

those patches are additional content...

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles
6 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

4 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

those patches are additional content...

Oh...  joy...

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I started watching the containers and noticed I got a couple. Got this snake, I'm happy now! :Smile_child:

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
On 22/02/2018 at 9:59 AM, Ulvesnutepostei said:

Guess it's because it's random generated and that's how the system works for all other items dropped in daily containers, I guess to program something different just for patches isn't a priority ...

But it was enough of a priority to introduce the patches and change the code that works out the contents of a daily container in the first place instead of fixing more pressing issues in the game.

And before anyone chants the mantra "but these are different people involved in the patches", remember that some developer time was needed to support them in-game also.

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles
20 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

But it was enough of a priority to introduce the patches and change the code that works out the contents of a daily container in the first place instead of fixing more pressing issues in the game.

And before anyone chants the mantra "but these are different people involved in the patches", remember that some developer time was needed to support them in-game also.

All right, I won't. I don't have much truck with mantras anyway.

But I would like to point out, that if all but the most pressing issues are always put on hold, many of the little issues will never get addressed at all. At least that is how I rationalize taking time off from writing out my overdue work protocols in order to put up officious posts on this forum...

...hmm; maybe you are on the right track after all, Admiral Nelson! :Smile_hiding:

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
23 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Because it prolly was less work and took less time than the alternative

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
4 hours ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

Because it prolly was less work and took less time than the alternative

That's not how good software development works - you tackle the IMPORTANT first - not the just EASIEST.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

That's not how good software development works - you tackle the IMPORTANT first - not the just EASIEST.

You can never be right in the face of public pressure imo. "why wasn't this mended, it's important!" vs "why wasn't this mended it's an easy fix" 

People will always find something to criticise. 

Ontopic: I hope we get opportunities to expand our patch-cache in the future. 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,772 posts
10,685 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Errrm, no.

First of all, you tackle problems based on how important they are relative to the workload needed. Easy fix to small problem can take precedence over difficult fix to big problem - just because work/importance ratio might end up better for the former. And while a game-breaking bug might be the kind of critical issue that you drop everything else, let's face it: most things - even IMPORTANT ones - aren't important to quite THIS degree. Good software developers don't approach their product with a compulsive-obsessive disorder. "Good enough" is good enough.

Secondly, even if you WERE right - there are PLENTY more important things to tackle within this game than the fact, that containers generate duplicate patch elements. So, basically, your argument - as faulty as it is - is actually an argument for why WG would/should ignore this duplicate patch issue for foreseeable future: regardless of needed amount of work, it's hardly an issue of high importance.

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
4 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

You can never be right in the face of public pressure imo. "why wasn't this mended, it's important!" vs "why wasn't this mended it's an easy fix" 

People will always find something to criticise. 

Ontopic: I hope we get opportunities to expand our patch-cache in the future. 

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_91.htm

see "Figure 1 – Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Principle"

Wargaming spend too much time on type 4 tasks. Quality Organisations recognise Type 1 tasks and focus on them!  :Smile_Default:

On topic: I really want to get that white background so that I can have the badge of Berlin

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

Errrm, no.

First of all, you tackle problems based on how important they are relative to the workload needed. While a game-breaking bug might be the kind of critical issue that you drop everything else, most things - even IMPORTANT ones - aren't like this. Good software developers don't approach their product with a compulsive-obsessive disorder. "Good enough" is good enough.

Secondly, even if you WERE right - there are PLENTY more important things to tackle within this game than the fact, that containers generate duplicate patch elements. So, basically, your argument - as faulty as it is - is actually an argument for why WG would/should ignore this duplicate patch issue for foreseeable future: regardless of needed amount of work, it's hardly an issue of high importance.

Errrrm, Yes.

And I did not say EVER that  Wargaming should prioritize fixing the duplicate patch problem.

My argument is that there are PLENTY more important things to tackle than developing this "patch" fluff in the first place.  (You seem to be agreeing with the basic idea of that)

DISCLOSURE

I have a personal vested interest in WG fixing bugs (and &^%$£*&^  annoyed!) because I am affected by the Aigle IFHE bug. I spend a huge amount of Elite Captains XP on getting the IFHE skill for the Aigle captain and it doesn't work. WG have accepted it is a bug and they will fix it...like...whenever. In the meantime, no compensation, refund etc .....so naturally I want them to fix all bugs (including this one).

Players
900 posts
4,141 battles

Why do you assume there's only one programming team responsible for all development? Most software development involves multiple teams working on different areas - the guys doing the patches are unlikely to be working on game balance and 3D modelling and map production at the same time.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles
26 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_91.htm

see "Figure 1 – Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Principle"

Wargaming spend too much time on type 4 tasks. Quality Organisations recognise Type 1 tasks and focus on them!  :Smile_Default:

On topic: I really want to get that white background so that I can have the badge of Berlin

That doesn't change that in the general public opinion they are damned whatever they do. That was the point I was getting at. 

• Cool 1