You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Flaws in logic continued: The gamification of WoWs

35 comments in this topic

[CR-S]
Players
370 posts
19,097 battles
35 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

That even failure, losing, is not necessarily "lose"?

That´s true, i had highly enjoyable defeats. I also compliment teammates who gave their best despite the loss.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
300 posts
19 minutes ago, G01ngToxicCommand0 said:

What I perceive as being the greatest flaw with WoWS is the rigid and unimaginative mindset of Wargaming. Wargaming has only one recipy for making games; That is a 10 tier based grindfest structered around corridor maps with gamey game mechanics that promotes passive and frustrating gameplay from the players combined with continous powercreep and horrible balance issues in order to intice players to spend money so they can achieve the goal of the game which is to reach and purchase tier 10 vehicles.

The gameplay itself is dumbed down, repetitive, stale and frustrating and there is no endgame material that at least rewards the players for actually reaching tier 10 only just more of the same repetitive bad game experience.

Basically WoT and WoWS are classic mobile platform business models taken to the PC platform and are dependent on a high player througput where players pay money to progress through the tiers untill they grow tired of the game or don't want to spend more money after realising the flaws of the games, rather than high player retention where loyal players spend money because the game is varied and good which provides great entertainment they wish to keep playing.

All of the issues with WOWS stems from Wargaming's mobile platform business model where short term profit goals are the only priority as that dictate the development path and supercedes any good gameplay experience and suggestions and ideas that limits that is simply disregarded.

Nailed it!

They know very well how to extract cash from certain groups of punter and they do pretty much the bare minimum needed to achieve that, providing a high quality gameplay experience isn't really necessary.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

@Allied_Winter

Ok let me say it as simply as possible.

These “deep stuff” help to make the sea feel like the ocean, the armed forces feel like the military, battle feel like war, warships feel like warships, and winning, feel like victory.

Not floating HP bars with 3D models foisting on a pond. Grinding together with less surviveability than infantry in WW1. It is frankly a disgrace to the topic, to its context. To the ships themselves.

THESE could be the reasons player may like a game, instead of the mundane reasons you listed like “piss off people in random” !?

But sure, settle for your “I won the match over them I am better than them now gimme my rewards ah happy.” And then think everyhing else boring because it does not add to this.

(Now argue back drnit don’t just rate me “boring” come on I’m insulting you, debate, think, converse, urgh!...)

• Cool 2

3,845 posts
8,636 battles
13 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

(Now argue back drnit don’t just rate me “boring” come on I’m insulting you, debate, think, converse, urgh!...)

Oh I do my fair share of thinking. I just don't have anything more interesting to take from this debate by participating in it. But if it bothered you oh so much that I reacted with 'boring' to your philosophical rant:

You have your reasons to play the game. I have mine. And so have a multitude of other players. If you think this game needs more immersion and put up with the effort of creating a set of posts regarding that topic. Fine. More power to you. I disagree with you on the issue that a absent of fun (for you) is the core elephant. I acknowledged that by saying:

Could WG polish a few things? Sure! But imho there are more pressing issues than a polished 'feeling on how I get rewards'.

I even suggested a game mode where winning is irrelevant.

But apparently you got more wound up by explaining me your definition of a military and a philosophical win instead of arguing about the proposal I made. That's why I think this debate is fruitless to me, because it's no longer ideas about the game that are discussed but some 'deep stuff' that I simply don't want to discuss in a game forum. There's a place for real deep stuff. Usually in front of a fire place with good friends. I see neither of them here.

So, I hope you will enjoy continuing this debate with others and maybe we see each other in battle, I'm done with these topics.

Greetings

[O-P-C]
Players
406 posts
8,769 battles

yes the lack of gameplay imagination is tragic , no big maps ,endles battles japan vs usa , or european theatre , many historical battle reenactments , carrier gameplay revision like they did in old navyfield , harbour assaults , submarines , torpedo boats , landing craft , strategic area bombers . ...its 2018 and its simplest type- grind till bored to death- game.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
14 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

That's debatable. Could WG polish a few things? Sure! But imho there are more pressing issues than a polished 'feeling on how I get rewards'.

You didn't include the word "win", but I do. I play games - especially games against other people - because I want to compete with them and see who's better in the end. That's why we count the goals while playing a relaxed set of football, that's why we play these little games like 'whoever makes it first to the next xyz'. 

And from how I read your posts you fail to acknowledge that this sentiment is represented in quite a few players of this game. Players like this game for a multitude of reasons: Some love a certain ship, some love the mechanics, some love the competition, some love to screw over their team mates. That's randoms. Every possible mindset collides. And that's unlikely going to change.

Also, I find it a tad funny, that you write 'not win with them' and 'multiplayer battle format' in one paragraph. Battles were meant to battle out who's better... so I'd say it's a bit pointless to take out the 'winning' aspect.

But maybe WG is better off in designing a special game mode where you shoot at stuff (bots, forts) without any rewards whatsoever. You just enter, start shooting and when you don't want to anymore you simply exit.

I do not fail to acknowledged your sentiment for simple, gamey pastimes.

I merely proceeded to point out, just like how you stubbornly prefer it simple, some people may also prefer it quality.

Yet instead of directly confronting and explaining how simple pastimes can be just as sacred and viable as the most grandeur sets and materials, you dismiss me with “wrong place, wrong topic”.

You say it is debatable yet do not present the “more pressing issues”. You say, that battles are “only meant to point out who’s better” I say battles are meant to feel like battles.

And then you make a little example of a “special game mode” that seriously, is just training room extended.

You also proceed to insult all the forums, and everyone in them, offhandedly, by indirectly dismissing and belittling them. “Game forum”. Perceptions and prejudice indeed.

Just like the purposefully whiny original TL;DR which had nothing to do with the original text (though the original text was still badly written), it was a test to see how some people are easily riled up and focus on the wrong things. And who doesn’t pay attention or read.

If it were not ideas about the game being discussed in this thread, mods would have moved it to off topic by now.

I’ve said more than enough already.

Edit: But ty for your input to the topic so far, nonetheless.

• Cool 1

Players
2,161 posts

Didn't the OP claim to have quit the game a short while back? I can't be bothered to check his past posts due to the walls of wibble text.

If he's quit why does he continue to dribble on the forums?

• Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,916 posts
7,811 battles

Just a lost fading comment / recap.

1.When a new ship is researched give 10 containers.

2.Lower BB extreme ranges.

3.Introduce "better MM" that experiments with +-1 to reduce mm frustrations.

4.Consider radar capable ships as a new subclass in mm.

5.More free stuff for reaching all 3 daily crates  - personal missions.

6.Lower detection penalty when firing from smoke to 20bb / 15clca / 10dd second per class. CV having 0 but planes can not land.

7.Lower BB ap dmg values on DDs by 50% or limit them to overpens, lower RN BB he alpha by 25%.

8.Radar on BB/DD should be defensive measure. Lower duration by 50%.

9.Remove detonations. We have dev strikes.

10. Do not create missions that force shifts meta to overpopulation. if they do follow up with an counter missions next in line to balance it out.

11. Better training rooms. To allow any (up to 7 man) div challenge any other div in more friendly manner.

12. Make capping time also heal your ship a bit.

13. Put mine fields in isolated areas of various maps.

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

Just a lost fading comment / recap.

1.When a new ship is researched give 10 containers.

2.Lower BB extreme ranges.

3.Introduce "better MM" that experiments with +-1 to reduce mm frustrations.

4.Consider radar capable ships as a new subclass in mm.

5.More free stuff for reaching all 3 daily crates  - personal missions.

6.Lower detection penalty when firing from smoke to 20bb / 15clca / 10dd second per class. CV having 0 but planes can not land.

7.Lower BB ap dmg values on DDs by 50% or limit them to overpens, lower RN BB he alpha by 25%.

8.Radar on BB/DD should be defensive measure. Lower duration by 50%.

9.Remove detonations. We have dev strikes.

10. Do not create missions that force shifts meta to overpopulation. if they do follow up with an counter missions next in line to balance it out.

11. Better training rooms. To allow any (up to 7 man) div challenge any other div in more friendly manner.

12. Make capping time also heal your ship a bit.

13. Put mine fields in isolated areas of various maps.

1. Incentive for progression, nice.

12. Incentive to cap, nice.

Rest are a bit complicated.

3, 5, 10, I dealt with similar ideas in thread.

9. WG disabled detonations for above 75% hp.