Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
bouncer8409

RNG and individual gameplay eperience

13 comments in this topic

[RNSF]
Players
209 posts
12,655 battles

Howdy captains

First off i would like to apologise to anyone i have insulted lately, and there have been more than a few, the reasons for this are the reason for this topic.

As we are no doubt all aware each individual players game experience will differ from everyone else and my own recent experience has been somewhat lacking. As an example - my last game just a few minutes ago went as most of my games go lately. I was in the Belfast which as we know is a terror for DD players and OP as hell....so game starts and with a DD spawning near me we rush towards the nearest cap, our DD to cap and me to support and try to kill the inevitable DD. On the way i notice that ALL of our BB are still sitting in the spawn or rushing to hide behind islands and our other CL are waiting for enemy to be spotted. As i am in a belfast i am not too bothered but then RNG comes into play. Enemy DD is spotted and i engage, our DD eats torps and dies then i kill enemy DD but lo and behold i am spotted by a CL and see a few enemy BB pushing forward so i smoke and am nuked when enemy Belfast radar's me and 3 enemy BB say thank you and goodbye Belfast. This my usual game lately. Enemy teams generally seem to push forward together and my teams sit and wait in so many games. Its just RNG and i freely admit to being an average player and frequent potato BUT....is this experience shared by anyone else and if so what can be done.

I await your replies captains and once again SORRY if i have insulted you ... its just frustration.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,722 posts
7,346 battles

So if I continue...

Yester-crap-day (neighbours, south side between A and B)  in my new Gadjah Mada, I got countered by a Fubuki and Myoko in mid game.

Their smoke, hydro and stealth + coordination, defended 2 of my attacks (I was the one spotting)  and I died to Fubuki torps after my second "push".

Next round I got detonated in Cleveland by a Koenig HE shell in a decisive battle. I went to bed.

• Funny 1

Players
401 posts
4,767 battles

For a moment I thought this was going to be about shell RNG instead of playstyles.

In my humble opinion, RNG for shell hits affects me much more than team play antics. I can go from one match bouncing/shattering/overpening broadside cruisers and BBs on my Iowa and the very next game citadel with almost every salvo. Same aim, same circumstances. That has a hugely greater impact on my experience than having a few players not be as team-minded as I am. This is because I can adapt my playstyle to those circumstances but I am unable to adapt to ridiculous shell RNG. Frustrating to play the same way between matches and have one barely over 20k in over 40 shell hits and the very next well over 100k with half the shell hits...

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles

Team RNG

As we are all aware, the skill levels of the playerbase varies tremendously and, on occasion,  you will get a team made up of those players who like to sit back and snipe or fail to support those trying to cap (yolo capping is opportunistic, but need extra caution). These games happen, but not that often, but routine enough to be disproportionately memorable, IMO.

Just clock them up as learning experiences and try to incorporate your early game assessment of your team into how you play - trying to learn this myself :)

Players
578 posts
4,989 battles

Without bad team RNG you would not have this awsome moment when your low tier Ship / Divi carries all the hightier tomatoes to victory. :Smile_izmena:

But onsome evenings RNG can make you cry ... getting 10 torp hits for 0 floodings? getting 5 bomb hits for no fires? Sometimes lord RNGesus doesnt even favor his own followers :(

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,442 battles

RNG is the main balancing factor of this game. This way, poor design and programming can be shrouded a little. RNG beginns balancing you (and everyone else) the moment, you press your "battle" button.

1. Step: matchmaker - top, middle or bottom tier? Well mixed teams in terms of classes or overpopulation of a specific class? Good or bad players equally spread on both team? Does the map favour your ship or team composition, or that of the red team? Are there divisions and are they spread equally? Are essential gimmicks like Radar, Hydro, Smoke equally distributed ammong the team?

Besides your own ship choice and maybe that of your division, you basically have limited (carrier myabe) to no influence on this first RNG, so no real advice possible here, maybe with the exception of "choose your ship wisely!"

2. Step: player behaviour - will your team or the red team coordinate? Will they stick to the plan coordinated? How will players perform, once combat starts or/and escalates? On this, experience (or addons) will allow for some predictions, like BBs camping, british cruisers very likely to smoke up and fire from smoke, AP carriers most likely trying to go on any german BBs first, etc. Besides this experience, everything else is basically RNG aswell, since individual player behaviour is unpredictable. My personal experience from this is: every single time, i tried to inspire my team by fullfilling the designated role of my ship (scouting, tanking, brawling etc.) my team thankfully accepted my role and my acting, but left me alone and/or watched me die, simply abusing the timespan i survived and provided spotting/distraction to "support" me from distance and/or run away, as long as i endured. However, whenever i played passively for the first minutes, kept quiet and simply watched the battle develope, i was often able to support at critical stages, plug holes in our lines or lend the necessary support, with enough health left. I sacrificed my teammates and played selfish, but as long as personal RNG was with me, i usually could carry my team better than by inspiring them.

3. Step: personal RNG - the best playstyle, the best planning, the best skill doesn´t mean anything, when RNG starts screwing around. Your repair/fire extinguishing skill just went out, you are almost in cover, but the one, last 140mm Kuma shell connects and causes a fire again? Bad luck! You fire a full salvo towards the broadside tanking target, but shell rng does only result in overpens, and bounces, while the bad player who is tanking broadside sinks 8 out of 9 shells into the island next to you, but the last shell somehow finds your citadell? RNG happens! You can go on with this for bombs and torpedoes aswell. RNG is everywhere, and skill is of almost no importance, as long as you more or less manage to left-click near your target. I have no advice, how to deal with it. Maybe just endure it, maybe tell youself: "this time, RNG screws me, next time, it will screw my target."

My personal consequence was to uninstall the game...

• Cool 1

Players
1,409 posts
12,968 battles

Noone got worse RNG than me. The detonation master. Hitting 50 Conqueror HE shells and get 2 fires. 

Or my torpedospreads that always open perfect gaps for BBs. Or cruises that park full broadside 10km away from my Montana, but RNG punishes them with a few overpens and when i play cruisers i get citadeleted at any angle. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles

It seems to me, from my experience, that there's just those kind of team streaks both of the good and bad kind. Some day's you just end up on teams where you have a gathering of sniping BBs, iland huggers of all kinds and so on. Other times it just somehow all comes together. It's when the bad streaks seem to go on and on that makes it frustrating.

I've had a bad period of several months where both my own play and the teams I ended up in, just... did... not... work. And then lately I have had more of the good fights, ending up in battles where both teams tried playing together for the objectives, leading to lot's of fun. And then suddenly, last night I had a string of strange occurences, like a Neptune broadsiding my DD with torps from behind in a mindbogling stupid maneuver, another cruiser later shot at me for leaving cap seconds before I would have been spotted and deleted by three cruisers pushing into the cap uopposed by any of my team mates that where mostely hidinh behind ilands with no chance to shoot (except at me) - we won that with me ending up top exp with four ships sunk and two caps, so that helped my mood. And my start today, oh... First game whole team went west hid behind the largets possible iland and let me and another DD duke it out with opposing team for caps, did not end well :cap_cool:...

Thing is, I find, if I let myself get too frustrated by lack of teamplay, mstupid RNG team ups etc, it makes me play bad further compounding the issue. So I try (really try) to not let that get to me - and when I succeed I find that I tend  to get more good batlles even in seemingly hopeless teams. And if not, I can always come here to vent/whine, that also helps some times :cap_viking:.

[DSW]
Players
3,775 posts
7,712 battles
5 hours ago, bouncer8409 said:

but then RNG comes into play. Enemy DD is spotted and i engage, our DD eats torps and dies then i kill enemy DD but lo and behold i am spotted by a CL and see a few enemy BB pushing forward so i smoke and am nuked when enemy Belfast radar's me and 3 enemy BB say thank you and goodbye Belfast.

and what about this is in any way RNG? You mispositioned, were overextended without support and didnt realize in time and didnt prepare an escape. Your fault. No RNG involved.

Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
6 hours ago, bouncer8409 said:

Howdy captains

First off i would like to apologise to anyone i have insulted lately, and there have been more than a few, the reasons for this are the reason for this topic.

As we are no doubt all aware each individual players game experience will differ from everyone else and my own recent experience has been somewhat lacking. As an example - my last game just a few minutes ago went as most of my games go lately. I was in the Belfast which as we know is a terror for DD players and OP as hell....so game starts and with a DD spawning near me we rush towards the nearest cap, our DD to cap and me to support and try to kill the inevitable DD. On the way i notice that ALL of our BB are still sitting in the spawn or rushing to hide behind islands and our other CL are waiting for enemy to be spotted. As i am in a belfast i am not too bothered but then RNG comes into play. Enemy DD is spotted and i engage, our DD eats torps and dies then i kill enemy DD but lo and behold i am spotted by a CL and see a few enemy BB pushing forward so i smoke and am nuked when enemy Belfast radar's me and 3 enemy BB say thank you and goodbye Belfast. This my usual game lately. Enemy teams generally seem to push forward together and my teams sit and wait in so many games. Its just RNG and i freely admit to being an average player and frequent potato BUT....is this experience shared by anyone else and if so what can be done.

I await your replies captains and once again SORRY if i have insulted you ... its just frustration.

I wouldn't push up in a Belfast before any radarcruisers had been spotted on the map. Other then that I can totally relate. I feel like randoms feel more like the frustration you always felt playing ranked before in the sence that more and more players in randoms even at T10 show a huge lack of understanding of the game and whatever tactics you can employ to win. I cant even count the number of games lately where my team has had a big majority of ships alive in the end and still lost because that totally neglected the caps for the first 16 min. Worst game was one where we lost and we had half team alive against 1 enemy DD with  2000 HP and he won and also got Solo Warrior?! Because random players dont know/dont care/or just to stupid to understand the game mode even tho its explained in every lobby before the fight?!

Last game last night i tried to get my team to move from A cap at Islands of ice (that i capped 2 min into the match and the rest of the team just felt like pushing it anyways and park there). I pushed and pushed for B cap for almost 10 minutes with no backup facing both Moskva, Des Moines and a Minotaur, the other DD on the team that went B in the start died because everyone had blinders on just lemming behind me to A. You cant do crap in a DD when you have teams like this.

I see a lot of paper cruisers (even at T10) pushing right into caps in the start of the game getting blapped at the 1 minute mark and i see a lot of tanky BBs like Kurfurst, Conquerors etc, hiding all game, still being full health and 4-5 heals when 80% of the team is dead.

Usually u see better players in T3-4-5 these days.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this