Sign in to follow this  
panzeraustirol

Emerald ~ How am I supposed to play it?

22 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
497 battles

Hello

First time I am posting on the WoWS forums and I most likely wouldnt if it wasnt for this ship: the Emerald. Lets get started:

I have researched and bought Emerald about 5 days ago, but I barely researched the second hull today. This is because it mainly sits in the port if I have already expended the daily 100% xp boost, as I make close to nothing with the Emerald otherwise. I have absolutely no idea how to play it. It is huge for its peashooting armament, the armament which is virtualy unchanged from the tier 3 Caledon, yet the MM gets you in tier 7 matches from some weird reason. There you get molested beyond belief, you get back in the port and the cycle repeats.

And before you say git gud with cruisers, I have absolutely no problem at all in my Königsberg, which is imo a very good allrounder and my favourite tier 5 so far.

Any helpful advice is appreciated

Have a nice day,

Panzeraustirol

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,155 battles

The Emerald is, I think, one of the weaker ships of her tier. Unless she totally clicks with your playstyle, she can be a hard ship to do well in. At least this is my own experience. I progressed from the Emerald to the Leander and then the Fiji, and found them both to be much more fun to play. I've sold the Emerald back to the store, which is a somewhat unusual thing for me to do, as I mostly keep any ships I unlock.

This is not me saying that you should give up trying with the Emerald already. This is me saying that even if you don't click with the Emerald, you shouldn't give up on the rest of the British cruiser line! :Smile_great:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I consider myself a cruiser main, pretty good cruiser player and do well in several widely hated ships. I'm always trying to say something good about every ship and advise ways to have fun with under-appreciated oddballs. So what I'm about to say, I do not say lightly. I am at a loss as to what advice to give for playing this ship. Do what I did and skip it with Free XP while you have sanity left. Leander is absolutely worth it.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
3,071 posts
11,037 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

The Emerald is, I think, one of the weaker ships on her tier.

It's the worst T5 cruiser in all relevant statistics. This ship is worse than some of the T4 cruisers. Hell, even the Krispy Kreme has better stats.

OP you need to stay your fire until you are smoked up. Then you can go to town.  The RN CL line really starts at T6 with Leander, which is only 36K away from the B hull.

Also consider islands as your best friends and hide behind them. Also, always try to keep a sharp angle towards the enemy, even when in smoke. You will provide a smaller target, compared to people who sail that ship broadside on.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

To be a bit less dramatic, the best use of Emerald is to practice RN cruiser smoke deployment and learn good smoke spots. The former can get tricky because it's very short, but it's worth your time learning how to pop it while slowing down so you just stop inside it. About 18 knots while slowing should do it, varies very little from ship to ship. The biggest problem with the ship is that the firepower is so crap, even if you position and smoke up perfectly you still won't get decent damage. Basically only aim for things your size or smaller unless you don't have a choice. Good luck!

[BYOB]
Players
3,071 posts
11,037 battles
9 hours ago, VC381 said:

The former can get tricky because it's very short, but it's worth your time learning how to pop it while slowing down so you just stop inside it. About 18 knots while slowing should do it, varies very little from ship to ship.

That's not valid anymore. The smoke emission time has been changed from 7s to 15s some months before, so it is possible to smoke up while going full speed and stop inside the smoke.

This has limited the value of the Smoke Screen Expert skill and dramatically increased the amount of smoke clouds a RN CL can produce (previously only 2).

The smoke duration however has not been changed.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,205 posts
15,028 battles

dont know about emerald (Skipped past her) but i see people in emile bertin show full broadside and just get overpenned , and when they angle they pop . Weird ship that is

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
114 posts
7,844 battles

Emerald has smoke and heal at T5. 

You have to hold your fire till you find a good position to smoke up and start firing. Always position yourself so you can quickly accelerate behind island when smoke is about to expire.

Between T4 and T7, not many players can shoot into smoke. Also, many ships will underestimate your torpedoes, and you have plenty of those.

Sadly, you rely on teammates to spot, which can be problem even if you're playing Minotaur.

Play safe, avoid BBs that shoot AP.

Leander and Fiji are definitely worth it, Edinburgh is meh, Neptune is hit with smoke firing nerf, but Minotaur is the most adrenaline filled cruiser you'll play.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

That's not valid anymore. The smoke emission time has been changed from 7s to 15s some months before, so it is possible to smoke up while going full speed and stop inside the smoke.

This has limited the value of the Smoke Screen Expert skill and dramatically increased the amount of smoke clouds a RN CL can produce (previously only 2).

The smoke duration however has not been changed.

Another thing I missed, thanks for correcting me! Wow, need to check how my Fiji does with this!

[BYOB]
Players
3,071 posts
11,037 battles
1 hour ago, Ysterpyp said:

dont know about emerald (Skipped past her) but i see people in emile bertin show full broadside and just get overpenned , and when they angle they pop . Weird ship that is

The Emile has troll armor. It is so lightly (un)armored that AP always overpens when the ships shows broadside. The only vulnerability is the citadel.

13 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Another thing I missed, thanks for correcting me! Wow, need to check how my Fiji does with this!

You're welcome. I try to stay up to date on the RN CLs as they are some of my most favorite ships.

[UNICS]
Players
1,205 posts
15,028 battles
2 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

The Emile has troll armor. It is so lightly (un)armored that AP always overpens when the ships shows broadside. The only vulnerability is the citadel.

You're welcome. I try to stay up to date on the RN CLs as they are some of my most favorite ships.

Except that citadel overpens is a thing

Players
584 posts

I've made 12.000 xp on Emerald in great pains, on the verge of ragequit. 800 gold for XP conversion to Leander solved the problem. I do not wish to hear of that ship ever again.

Players
118 posts
2,956 battles

I am grinding through this turd as well. I have a hard time even getting myself to do daily first win. You're completely team dependant against anything that isn't a DD to prevent them from pushing into your smoke.

Even if that happens the only way to do any serious damage is if they never angle against you. If they do come in torpedo range you should not fire the guns(as they will spot you even in smoke) and hope the torps get the guy because if they don't he'll citadel you to death in seconds.

Players
73 posts
2,778 battles

I find myself shouting in all chat "IHTFS!" when I am in my Emerald.

I feel that I would happily swap the smoke screen for HE shells just so that it can play as a normal CL and chase down DDs, which would be useful to the team.

[IRQ]
Players
2,727 posts
6,638 battles

I actually liked playing Emerald, and that was back when you had to slow down long before deploying smoke. It is, however, a tricky ship to play, so you're going to get deleted a lot unless you know what you're doing. If you learn how to play this ship, you'll have little problems with the following ships, since they play much the same but are much better (Leander has a smaller citadel, and Fiji has a lot more firepower, among other things). Find hiding places and never, ever broadside anything at all if you can avoid it since anything can and will citadel you. Learn when and how to use your smoke. That's not going to change in any significant way in the line. In that way, the ship is kind of a skill gate for the later ships. If you think you'll just grind or free-xp past this ship without that knowledge, you're going to be underprepared for what's coming.

[NWP]
Players
729 posts
6,300 battles
7 hours ago, Ewokgod said:

I find myself shouting in all chat "IHTFS!" when I am in my Emerald.

I feel that I would happily swap the smoke screen for HE shells just so that it can play as a normal CL and chase down DDs, which would be useful to the team.

Except that RN sAP is absolutely devastating to DDs. RN CLs don't need HE.

Emerald is a grind, but what you learn about engagement distances and cover helps a lot from tier 6 up. Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh and Minotaur are well worth the momentary pain of Emerald.

Players
73 posts
2,778 battles
On 24/02/2018 at 11:11 AM, Mr_Tayto said:

Except that RN sAP is absolutely devastating to DDs. RN CLs don't need HE.

Emerald is a grind, but what you learn about engagement distances and cover helps a lot from tier 6 up. Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh and Minotaur are well worth the momentary pain of Emerald.

RN AP on the Emerald only works well on DDs when the shell is going in a flat trajectory, up to about 6-7km in my experience and only when the DD isn't angled. On a high trajectory, its ricochet city. But the Emerald goes up against Tier 6-7 DDs half the time and they have the guns and torps to force you to standoff unless you get the jump on them from around an island. End result = minimal damage to DDs, CAs and BBs.

The only weapons on the Emerald I find I can rely on are the torps and they only go 6km!

It's like playing a US DD, except you are a lot more visible, you have a citadel and you can't start a fire. I still say that, at least on tiers 2-5, players could be allowed to swap the smoke for HE rounds. Leave the "learning how to AP only" to when they actually have a ship that can do it well.

[THGZ]
Players
141 posts
3,089 battles

Emerald is a ship that when i see 1 i instantly switch to AP.. and let those Citadels ring, So how I played an Emerald is stay out of Open water, Stay covered behind islands, or if no islands, smoke up!. But have an exit plan, looks for those DD's to kill, use torps when someone is charging at you in smoke.. never sit still in smoke, gently rock back and forward, 1/4 speed/reverse. You Premium smoke if u can afford it, and try and get extra xp from capping and defending caps.. etc.. its a rough time, but trust me, the Leander is a much better ship. but has the similar/same tactics.. Emerald is a Horrible grind.. but practice firing from cover as you will be doing alot of that in the next few tiers. I got about 50% of the way through and just used free xp for the rest.. =/ 

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,737 battles

She has had her concealment improved and her torpedo range increased. Play her as a big destroyer.

Sign in to follow this