Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Wildf1re

Advice on Russian DDs - playstyle

19 comments in this topic

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles

So I have played German and IJN DDs to TX and US to TIX. An enjoyable ride. I am at OGNEVOI in the russian line free xp'ing past Minsk that I hated from the get go. Now I am returning to the russian line and in an effort to not lose motivation, I ask for advice on playstyle for the russian DDs. Derzski and Gnevny I remember as being hugely fun but have not really ben able to find any fondness for the others. They feel a bit unvieldly and for gunboats, their guns seem underwelming, at least in my hands. Any good advice are welcome as I am pretty sure they can be fun with the right approach?

[SCRUB]
Players
7,309 posts
9,577 battles

Keep firing.

Russian DDs (with the exception of the Ognevoi) are more or less pure gunboats, so essentially all your damage comes from your guns. Find a target and pepper it from a comfortable range. If you have others spotting for you you can smoke up and dakka the enemy team down, but russian DDs are relatively big and prone to catching torps if they surprise you stationary in smoke, so if feasible it's preferable to kite in the open and wiggle to evade incoming shots.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,759 posts
10,885 battles

Use a friendly torpboat for spotting and hunt enemy DD.

These are high value targets that you can sink easily and your friendly DD lives longer.

• Cool 1

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
5 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Keep firing.

Russian DDs (with the exception of the Ognevoi) are more or less pure gunboats, so essentially all your damage comes from your guns. Find a target and pepper it from a comfortable range. If you have others spotting for you you can smoke up and dakka the enemy team down, but russian DDs are relatively big and prone to catching torps if they surprise you stationary in smoke, so if feasible it's preferable to kite in the open and wiggle to evade incoming shots.

Any differences in when to use HE/AP compared to the other DDs? And thaks for the reply.

Players
3,593 posts
7,346 battles

Shoot fast and sail even faster.

Every DD gun will be underwhelming in terms of killing battleships, unless broadside of all-or-nothing armored BB is available. Then AP all the way. Assist more concealed DDs in capping, but don't enter cap yourself, act basically as cruiser.

Highlight of the line is IMO Kiev, Khaba is powerful, but after repeated nerfing she isn't as much fun to play.

1 minute ago, Wildf1re said:

Any differences in when to use HE/AP compared to the other DDs? And thaks for the reply.

Not really. HE against DDs and angled everything, AP against broadside cruisers and battleships. Against fatter DDs showing broadside AP is an effective option too.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,759 posts
10,885 battles

Mostly HE.

AP only at closer ranges vs broadside cruisers or burning broadside BB (aim for superstructure).

• Cool 1

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Mostly HE.

AP only at closer ranges vs broadside cruisers or burning broadside BB (aim for superstructure).

Good then I have at least been doing it right so far and don't have to change that part.:Smile_teethhappy:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,136 posts
11,682 battles

I'd argue RU DDs are not pure gunboats.

Kiev, Udaloi and Grozo all have 8km+ torps which can be combined with guns to decent effect.

Stay at longer ranges 10km+ and sprinkle shells on things. Or team up with a good concealment DD to kill enemy DD they spot.

I find with Udaloi that AP vs anything broadside even at longer ranges works well. Try stacking AP into a broadside BBs superstructure with their guns turned and see the numbers rise.

I'm only about 20k XP from Grozo finally and I'm really looking forward to a heavy DD with 10km torps, 6km concealment and excellent guns. 

On a side note, Khaba rudder and Torp nerfs have made her boring for me. As now you arguably pay too high a price for armour and that extra turret.

• Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

if you want a RU gunboat, dont play the Ognevoi. That ship is a surprisingly decent allrounder with good torps, sorta like the Benson except with worse dpm on the guns... in that branch, Udaloi is the only one that really does the Run-and-Gun style well; Grozovoi has harshly limited range and Ognevoi just doesnt have the firepower to be worthwhile.

If you want to really play the RU Gunboat style, I'd suggest hopping onto the PTS and getting a Kiev to try it out.

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
19 hours ago, Negativvv said:

I'd argue RU DDs are not pure gunboats.

Kiev, Udaloi and Grozo all have 8km+ torps which can be combined with guns to decent effect.

Stay at longer ranges 10km+ and sprinkle shells on things. Or team up with a good concealment DD to kill enemy DD they spot.

I find with Udaloi that AP vs anything broadside even at longer ranges works well. Try stacking AP into a broadside BBs superstructure with their guns turned and see the numbers rise.

I'm only about 20k XP from Grozo finally and I'm really looking forward to a heavy DD with 10km torps, 6km concealment and excellent guns. 

On a side note, Khaba rudder and Torp nerfs have made her boring for me. As now you arguably pay too high a price for armour and that extra turret.

Good to know, thank you!

19 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

if you want a RU gunboat, dont play the Ognevoi. That ship is a surprisingly decent allrounder with good torps, sorta like the Benson except with worse dpm on the guns... in that branch, Udaloi is the only one that really does the Run-and-Gun style well; Grozovoi has harshly limited range and Ognevoi just doesnt have the firepower to be worthwhile.

If you want to really play the RU Gunboat style, I'd suggest hopping onto the PTS and getting a Kiev to try it out.

Well at least the Ognevoi should suit me well as I hugely enjoy playing the Benson. Maybe I should just try out both RU banches of DDs (oh, thegrinding...)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,136 posts
11,682 battles
Just now, Wildf1re said:

Good to know, thank you!

Ogne is a totally different animal to Udaloi. In short she's cr@p as you have very low firepower. Nice torps on the T8 ship but it doesn't prepare you for the play style later on.

Only real Udaloi weakness is your best concealment of 7.2km is fairly horrible.

Players
165 posts
775 battles

I did enjoy the torpedo broadsides with the Tier 3 and Tier 4 Russian DDs, problem was you had to got too close to the enemy to get a torp attack off. If I return to this game then it's plenty of dakka for me

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

Ogne is a totally different animal to Udaloi. In short she's cr@p as you have very low firepower. Nice torps on the T8 ship but it doesn't prepare you for the play style later on.

Only real Udaloi weakness is your best concealment of 7.2km is fairly horrible.

Now, you're just making me sad :cap_fainting:. As i just got the Ognevoi, ah well, I will learn.

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles
1 minute ago, Wildf1re said:

Now, you're just making me sad :cap_fainting:. As i just got the Ognevoi, ah well, I will learn.

again, why not go to the Public Test? Try out whether you like the Kiev playstyle there, and then decide what to do.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,136 posts
11,682 battles
12 minutes ago, Wildf1re said:

Ogni isn't poor as such but she's a freak in the RU DD line. A 12 point captain with CE and Torp Acceleration makes her quite an interesting torp boat. 

It's just that Ogni pales in comparison to others around her tier.

• Cool 1

[MIRAI]
Players
1,125 posts
9,924 battles

I suggest you try both to see what you prefer, Kiev and Ognevoi. As others wrote, they are quite different: Kiev a typical RU gun boat (but don't forget it also has torps) while the Ognevoi is a nice alrounder, ok or good in everything but nowhere outstanding: Good guns (but only four and you have to show a bit side to use all), ok conceilment but others are better, and good torps (running slow but good reload).

Beta Tester
626 posts
2,055 battles
45 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

again, why not go to the Public Test? Try out whether you like the Kiev playstyle there, and then decide what to do.

Spot on I tried out the Russian DDs where you can also play with captain skills and modules at very little cost or non at all well worth the download.

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles

The Khaba line was the most fun line I ever grinded. No really "weak" ships. Usable torps on T8, AMAZING torps on T9. Overall good shell arcs, good range, high speed.

Unbalanced radar distribution? Don´t care.

Too many BB? Farm damage and tears every game.

Too many DD? You gun them down for easy XP.

I skipped CE completely, I think it is useless.

Sign in to follow this