Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
aviaxis

Please change AP bombs

41 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
170 posts
12,384 battles

Please remove / change AP bombs . they do not punish the campers at the back of the map, but the German BBs that are actually trying to brawl... I think AP bombs were a terrible idea... instead of punishing passive play they are actually punishing German BBs who are trying to do their jobs and push the enemy... this way they get to be the closest target for the enemy CV... wheres, in order to hit the back campers the CV would have to go around the whole map and avoid AA...

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

I think CVs would also benefit from having AP bombs be normalized to work equally against all BBs.

Removing them isn't really an option unless we want to once against be forced to come up with new load-outs for all the USN CVs.

Unfortunately German BBs will still be the bigger targets and with comparatively bad AA. So they would get targeted first anyway, especially if they are closer to the action.

Players
578 posts
5,000 battles

AP Bombs are bad - useless on most ships, OP on other ships

And with t10 BBs all being immune they dont even do their job against BBs - all they do is oneshot low level BBs (some) and some Cruisers (game doenst need cruiser oneshots) 

Only "good thing" - on Hightier CVs you usually dont use them anyway because HE bombs are straight up better.

AP Bombs should work on all BBs doing meaningfull damage on all BBs and not 5k on most and 70k on others - HE Bombs usually deal 10-12k per squad + fires if all bombers make it to the target so i would expect around 40k on a well placed strike against a lone BB with 10+ hits.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,715 battles

Yes, AP bombs were a terrible idea. DB should be used to stack dots, not to left click delete stuff (and manual drops are not exactly hard either). They will not be able to balance this and it will always be frustrating on one or both ends.

• Cool 2

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Indeed, the fact that they punish more some BBs compared to others makes no sense to me. 

BBs should all be equal before the power of the mighty AP bombs :)

• Cool 4

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
Just now, elblancogringo said:

Indeed, the fact that they punish more some BBs compared to others makes no sense to me. 

BBs should all be equal before the power of the mighty AP bombs :)

The fact that these "anti BB" weapons work even better on cruisers is mind-boggling.

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
Players
2,102 posts
5 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

The fact that these "anti BB" weapons work even better on cruisers is mind-boggling.

Which is also the case with the Pan Asian DW torpedoes since cruisers tend to be closer than BB's.

Looks like each time they produce an "anti BB" weapon they utterly fail to think through the consequences.

• Cool 2

Players
939 posts
8,475 battles
23 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

I think CVs would also benefit from having AP bombs be normalized to work equally against all BBs.

Removing them isn't really an option unless we want to once against be forced to come up with new load-outs for all the USN CVs.

Unfortunately German BBs will still be the bigger targets and with comparatively bad AA. So they would get targeted first anyway, especially if they are closer to the action.

My German BB AA defensive fire is from 71%-97%, without the flag, so I don't consider it too bad and add in the catapult fighter it does make for a formidable opponent. Mostly though, I try to make sure I am close to other AA ships so that AA fire is combined which chews the planes and spits them out, even better if your with a clan mate for then you can target individual squadrons, I tend to target to Torpedo strike aircraft first..

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,715 battles
4 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

My German BB AA defensive fire is from 71%-97%, without the flag, so I don't consider it too bad and add in the catapult fighter it does make for a formidable opponent. Mostly though, I try to make sure I am close to other AA ships so that AA fire is combined which chews the planes and spits them out, even better if your with a clan mate for then you can target individual squadrons, I tend to target to Torpedo strike aircraft first..

But what if your team just doesn't play the objectives and sticking with them will just lose the game? Forcing team play in randoms is not viable.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,624 battles

Maybe WG should have kept AP bombs as an Enterprise exclusive. Then the unwashed masses wouldn't be able to troll German BB.

They should be normalised I guess so they do decent damage to all BBs instead of 1 shotting Germans and mediocre vs the rest.

[CHAOS]
Players
2,359 posts
10,784 battles

Agreed. AP-Bombs are stupid. No real counterplay as BB or Cruiser.

Just had a Gneisenau match... T9 Game, i start sailing offensive (between our DDs and backline), Graf Zeppelin sends Torpedo and AP Bomber to me, i dodge ALL torps but eat the bombs - woosh, 75% health gone. No dodging possible and the fighter plane does whatever it wants - its not even attacking the squadron you are targeting for your AA.

• Cool 1

Players
939 posts
8,475 battles
48 minutes ago, aboomination said:

But what if your team just doesn't play the objectives and sticking with them will just lose the game? Forcing team play in randoms is not viable.

Your comment is dead right but nowadays you can say that with any game lately; so If a player doesn't play for the objective I simply choose one that does, if possible.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,624 battles
12 minutes ago, StupidRhino said:

As there are premium CVs out there with AP bombs they will not be removed or changed by WG.

They were bordering on OK for Enterprise as the CV has a low bomber reserve and the drop circle is huge even with manual drops.

Lex for instance has a smaller drop circle and full fat T8 planes.

Just wait until GZ gets released :cap_rambo:

[XTREM]
Players
170 posts
12,384 battles
14 minutes ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

Simple , stop play with german  BB, problem easy solved

but I like brawling in BBs... isnt that what they say they encourage?

Beta Tester
1,972 posts
2,146 battles
2 hours ago, StupidRhino said:

As there are premium CVs out there with AP bombs they will not be removed or changed by WG.

A general change to a certain game mechanic has been deemed acceptable by Wargaming in the past, even though it has also affected premium ships. The change to stealth fire mechanics, which affected some premium destroyers rather heavily, is one notable example. So as long as AP bombs aren't a premium CV exclusive, this wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

Uh... are AP bombs a premium CV exclusive? I must confess, I am not entirely up to date on WoWs CV lore.:fish_book:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,400 posts
13,813 battles
8 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Uh... are AP bombs a premium CV exclusive?

Nope, tech tree AP bombs can be used on USN CVs T8+.

They were exclusive to the Enterprise for quite some time though and she is balanced around the inclusion of AP bombs (she has a horrible TB spread as a trade off).

Removing AP bombs as a global change still wouldn't pose much of a problem however as you'd only need to rebalance a single ship.

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

I think the difference between HE bombs and AP bombs should simply be a small instant damage + fire DoT for HE vs a bigger and only instant damage for AP bombs. The HE should have a bigger potential total damage if fire can't be extinguished. And this, whatever the targeted ship is.

If WG wants to make BBs more vulnerable, it is easy to add a multiplicative factor to AP bombs damage based on the HP of the ship. It is already the case for HE bombs, as fire damage is based on HP% of the ship.

What do you think about that?

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,102 posts
28 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Nope, tech tree AP bombs can be used on USN CVs T8+.

They were exclusive to the Enterprise for quite some time though and she is balanced around the inclusion of AP bombs (she has a horrible TB spread as a trade off).

Removing AP bombs as a global change still wouldn't pose much of a problem however as you'd only need to rebalance a single ship.

Which seems perfectly sensible, except of course WG appear to be wedded to their gimmicks that backfire horribly and they won't back away from their screwups.

I rarely play my KM BB's since the change to US CV's to include AP bombs, it's just frustrating to get knobbled by 1 or two bombers getting through. Shame I used to find them a lot of fun.

As to a multiplicative factor like fires? Good thought, on first reading I can't see an issue with it, someone else might.

[O-P-C]
Players
356 posts
8,175 battles

just deleted AA cancer cruiser de moines  parked behind an island with AP bombs, so they are good.

• Bad 2

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
11,995 battles
2 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

I think the difference between HE bombs and AP bombs should simply be a small instant damage + fire DoT for HE vs a bigger and only instant damage for AP bombs. The HE should have a bigger potential total damage if fire can't be extinguished. And this, whatever the targeted ship is.

If WG wants to make BBs more vulnerable, it is easy to add a multiplicative factor to AP bombs damage based on the HP of the ship. It is already the case for HE bombs, as fire damage is based on HP% of the ship.

What do you think about that?

I kind of like it ..... good work :D

mang

Players
545 posts
8,382 battles

Just had a match against a GZ Test 1 in my Friedrich. One approach with his 3 db squads...and i was gone. No counterplay, no way to mitigate the damage. Now you say "stay close to your cruisers for AA help"...well...some minutes later the GZ dropped our Des Moines without losing A SINGLE PLANE out of three squads. The Des Mo also got insta-deleted.

It is JUST FRUSTRATING to play against these AP bombs, especially with the special GZ drop pattern.

Wargaming, do you really want your players to feel FRUSTRATED when playing your game???

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this