Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ajb13

Karma - some questions and some thoughts

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,918 battles

A few months ago I actually noticed my karma score and have been keeping an eye on it since. It was around 50 at the time and has dropped to about 30 now. I never get notified when I get reported, and only occasionally when complimented. But what I have noticed is that in it's current form it is totally pointless. For example I was told in chat I was an 'useless kill stealer' and would be reported, which I was. This was in a game in which I got a kracken, high calibre and confederate, as well as coming top by a mile. The kill steal that prompted this was a Konig that I did over 30k damage to :Smile_amazed:

I've been reported for other weird things and sometimes after I've had a bad game, and other times I've carried us to a win and not been complimented. So I have a couple of questions and some ideas to improve the system, either that or just do away with it altogether.

What did my karma start at when they first introduced it?

How long is it that you can report or compliment after a game has finished? 

Can players who have been in a division compliment or report each other?

Too improve it I think they need to reboot it and look at introducing automatic karma compliments as well as immunity to being reported in certain circumstances. WG should give you an automatic compliment if you come top of your team, or if you get certain achievements such as high calibre. Also you should be immune to reporting if you come in the top 2 or 3 of your team or get certain achievements as well.  You should also not be able to compliment or report anyone you were in a division with at any time during the game. This is just so open to abuse.

You should not be able to report or compliment until after the game has finished and you should be able to do it for a lot longer. This way players would have a cooling down time in which to reflect and actually see how you did before making a judgement. Also players often jump to another game after they are sunk and by the time they see the battle report screen it's too late to report or compliment. I was once reported in game for being a camping BB to far from the action and on near full health by a DD who had just battled hard to cap on the other side of the map. When I pointed out that I'd used all my heals, got high calibre and with the help of another player (who also was going to be reported) stopped 4 enemy ships from taking our other cap, he apologised and gave me a compliment to balance it out. He'd been so engrossed in his own little fight he'd not noticed the one going on in the other corner. Better that he should have too wait a little while rather than report then compliment a player.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,199 posts
6,775 battles
39 minutes ago, ajb13 said:

in it's current form it is totally pointless

This. Karma does nothing, apart from giving you a few extra reports & compliments per day.

Beta Tester
1,972 posts
2,146 battles

Your concerns about unmerited reports are completely justified, ajb13. The same considerations you voice, are among the main reasons why I am so very reluctant to report someone for playing badly. I certainly wouldn't do it simply because I didn't approve of his or her tactical choices. There might be something in the situation I've missed, as in your example. Also, the thought of setting myself in judgement over someone else, like that, is decidedly unappealing. It's an absolutely arrogant thing to do, if nothing else. We all play the game in order to have fun, and I would not begrudge anyone the right to try and win in whatever way he or she deems best. About the only time I make a report, is when I can clearly see, beyond doubt, that someone is deliberately sabotaging the game for others or is otherwise behaving badly.

I have no such restraints with handing out compliments, however. Being able to compliment a fellow gamer for a good contribution to the game, socially or tactically, is one of the nicer touches in this whole online community.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,972 posts
2,146 battles
1 hour ago, ajb13 said:

What did my karma start at when they first introduced it?

How long is it that you can report or compliment after a game has finished? 

Can players who have been in a division compliment or report each other?

Too improve it I think they need to reboot it and look at introducing automatic karma compliments as well as immunity to being reported in certain circumstances. WG should give you an automatic compliment if you come top of your team, or if you get certain achievements such as high calibre. Also you should be immune to reporting if you come in the top 2 or 3 of your team or get certain achievements as well.  You should also not be able to compliment or report anyone you were in a division with at any time during the game. This is just so open to abuse.

You should not be able to report or compliment until after the game has finished and you should be able to do it for a lot longer. This way players would have a cooling down time in which to reflect and actually see how you did before making a judgement. Also players often jump to another game after they are sunk and by the time they see the battle report screen it's too late to report or compliment. I was once reported in game for being a camping BB to far from the action and on near full health by a DD who had just battled hard to cap on the other side of the map. When I pointed out that I'd used all my heals, got high calibre and with the help of another player (who also was going to be reported) stopped 4 enemy ships from taking our other cap, he apologised and gave me a compliment to balance it out. He'd been so engrossed in his own little fight he'd not noticed the one going on in the other corner. Better that he should have too wait a little while rather than report then compliment a player.

I believe everyone's karma started at zero, at one time or other in the past. At least, I believe that is what the Buddha would probably tell you. 

I don't know what time limit, if any, there is for making a report.

I do know that there is a set limit to the number of reports you can make in a 24-hour period. I would assume that this is intended to stem report abuse.

I do not know if there is a set limit to the number of compliments you can give in a set period.

I don't think players in a division can compliment or report each other. I this is correct, it is probably in order to stem compliment abuse (if there is such a thing).

As for the idea of setting a time limit that must go by after a battle before you can make a report, I do not believe this is necessary. It is quite enough that the karma score has no direct effect in the game; which is also, due to the concerns you voiced, how it should be.

It took quite a long time before I realized that there even was an in-game karma score. It took even longer before I managed to find it. To my slight surprise, it was a positive number. Then again, it would seem that Wargaming karma - unlike the IRL kind - cannot go into the negative numbers.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Karma did start at zero for everyone when it was introduced.

And except for the slightly increased number of compliments (which I hardly ever get to make full use of) and reports (which still isn't enough to report all the chat twats and AFKers) Karma is still just a useless number that goes up and down on a whim. Have a good game and you're just as likely to end up getting reported by salty losers as you are to get complimented from teammates you helped (in fact I'd say you're less likely to get complimented).

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

I can add that you get a message for every compliment, but you only get a message for reports if there are 2 or more sent in one battle.

[-101-]
Alpha Tester
107 posts
2,287 battles

As others have said, the karma and report system are utterly worthless and too easily abused by the total douche nozels who inhabit the game. I myself had a stunner of a loss in my Kagero the other day, as the only remaining player. I simply farmed two BBs for damage as they were sailing on straight lines (even after being hit), and upon killing both of them they declared me a cheat and both reported me.

A quick note about making you immune to reporting if you are the top of the team list at the end. That's a bad idea since it's amazing how often the guy at the top is also the most toxic douche bag on the team, who will report people simply for not following orders that he/she barks at them all match.

The only way around it I can think of would be to have live moderators watching random games in secret, who could take action against players misbehaving. That way people might not dare be abusive since there's always a chance that a mod is watching. 

Beta Tester
1,972 posts
2,146 battles
1 hour ago, Wenceslas said:

As others have said, the karma and report system are utterly worthless and too easily abused by the total douche nozels who inhabit the game. I myself had a stunner of a loss in my Kagero the other day, as the only remaining player. I simply farmed two BBs for damage as they were sailing on straight lines (even after being hit), and upon killing both of them they declared me a cheat and both reported me.

The wise one says: An insult from a dimwit, is a compliment from the Fates.

A quick note about making you immune to reporting if you are the top of the team list at the end. That's a bad idea since it's amazing how often the guy at the top is also the most toxic douche bag on the team, who will report people simply for not following orders that he/she barks at them all match.

Yeah, this is kinda familiar. (Also: He who is now at the top of the Karmic Wheel, will follow its inevitable turn to the bottom.)

The only way around it I can think of would be to have live moderators watching random games in secret, who could take action against players misbehaving. That way people might not dare be abusive since there's always a chance that a mod is watching. 

I'm afraid I rather doubt that those most in need of chastisement, would be inclined to let rumours of a random scrutinizer inhibit their mischief. And to think of the poor schmuck put in charge of surveillance detail... what a sacrifice to the Gods of Prozac!:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
291 posts
13,485 battles

The Karma mechanic in its current state is useless. Being at zero karma should be a goal as it can be quite a relief so you can laugh away sore losers threaths because you blabbed them when they showed full broadside or you used WASD hacks and doing so gained an unfair advantage... You can also tell the really patato team members that firing HE and throwing torps in the 2nd line in a Tirpitz is not the way to play such ship without finding out you actualy lost Karma even being nr1 on your team.

Now I can enjoy BBQ BB’s in my Zao and torping unaware BB’s in my Kamikaze without caring.

Although i am guilty of using my reports as a counterstrike for unwarrented announced reports... The same way i sometimes use compliments to shield a fellow player from unwarrented reports.

Karma is a unwanted feature. Should be replaced by a more usefull system to fight real disbehaviour in game likes foul language and blatant actions against the spirit of the game. 

[-101-]
Alpha Tester
107 posts
2,287 battles
19 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I'm afraid I rather doubt that those most in need of chastisement, would be inclined to let rumours of a random scrutinizer inhibit their mischief. And to think of the poor schmuck put in charge of surveillance detail... what a sacrifice to the Gods of Prozac!

Alas, I fear you are correct :(

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles

You get notification if you are reported multiple times, but for single report, no notification. Compliments do give you a notification.

Sign in to follow this