Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yaskaraxx

Game mechanics - speed calculations accurate??

9 comments in this topic

Players
689 posts
19,940 battles

Hi, I keep this short: i  noticed recently (last 3 weeks) that very slow ships seem too often easily keep up (thus seemingly same speed???) with the very fast ships. One of the many examples: my Shimakaze tailed by a Minotaur (slow ship) could hardly gain any distance from Mino??? Shima had speed boost + flag..yet.....how can this be?

I can mention many, many examples: to me it seems the game mechanics do not accurately calculate speed and resulting distances. Do other players also have same experience? What coild be wrong here?

Your comments please, to obtain constructive input here.

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Shimakaze is far from being one of the fastest DD possible. Minotaur is quite fast, and I think that RN CLs do not lose speed when they turn like other ships do.

I think you just have the wrong feeling. A difference of a few knots take time to see that translated into larger distances.

Players
689 posts
19,940 battles
4 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Shimakaze is far from being one of the fastest DD possible. Minotaur is quite fast, and I think that RN CLs do not lose speed when they turn like other ships do.

I think you just have the wrong feeling. A difference of a few knots take time to see that translated into larger distances.

no, was not the case: shima chased by Mino (Mino straight behind shima). Both ships going in straight line. So, no, what you said there is not even possible imo. Shima normally should create distance easily under such circumstances, but it did not.

(anyway, ths for yr reply)

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

Minotaur with speedflag can pretty easily keep up with a Shimakaze, especially if you do the occasional turn (you bleed MUCH more speed doing even slight turns than the Minotaur will), or at least long enough to certainly feel like an eternity if he's shooting you all the way.

Also depends on how efficient your route is. If you take a sweeping approach (say to stay clear of ambush positions) and the ship following you is taking a more direct course that also helps migitate the speed difference (surprised a clanmate with that as my Warspite was keeping pace with his DD and he was wondering how I could stay so close despite the Warspite being so slow).

[NWP]
Players
731 posts
6,303 battles

Turning is the answer. RN CLs don't lose more than 1-2 knots even hard over.

[IRQ]
Players
2,731 posts
6,638 battles
2 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Turning is the answer. RN CLs don't lose more than 1-2 knots even hard over.

Yeah, RN CLs have insane engines for acceleration and keeping speed up in turns. They accelerate in turns at far higher speeds than any other ship. Which makes it hard to run away from them.

Using a speed flag with Shimakaze is recommended. It's a reasonably fast ship normally, and with speedflag you get a very respectable speed that can outrun just about all ship that aren't Russian DDs. That gives you a much greater flexibility in what routes you can take and how much you can flank (which is good for finding torpedo angles).

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,231 posts
6,782 battles
5 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

Minotaur (slow ship)

:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

Ok, I see the problem here... Big does not mean slow. Small does not mean fast. Missouri (so I guess Iowa too) with a speed flag can do about 35 kts. Pretty sure there are plenty of cruisers that can do 35...40 (if not even more) kts speed. And not all DDs are Khabas going at close to 49 kts.

That's something you could have noticed while playing your 13k games :fish_palm:

For the 2 ships you mentioned:

Shima

• Base speed - 39 kts
  • With flag - 41 kts
  • With flag & speed boost - 44 kts

Minotaur

• Base speed - 33.5 kts
  • With flag - 35.2 kts

So as you can see Minotaur with the speed flag would be easily able to keep up with a Shima for quite some time, especially if that Mino is firing at Shima so she has to keep dodging thus losing speed

Players
689 posts
19,940 battles
39 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

Ok, I see the problem here... Big does not mean slow. Small does not mean fast. Montana (so I guess Iowa too) with a speed flag can do about 35 kts. Pretty sure there are plenty of cruisers that can do 35...40 (if not even more) kts speed. And not all DDs are Khabas going at close to 49 kts.

That's something you could have noticed while playing your 13k games :fish_palm:

For the 2 ships you mentioned:

Shima

• Base speed - 39 kts
  • With flag - 41 kts
  • With flag & speed boost - 44 kts

Minotaur

• Base speed - 33.5 kts
  • With flag - 35.2 kts

So as you can see Minotaur with the speed flag would be easily able to keep up with a Shima for quite some time, especially if that Mino is firing at Shima so she has to keep dodging thus losing speed

Ok, must be something like that. Engine HP (Horsepower) has big impact on accelleration. Thing is , I was just wondering, but ok, all seems to be fine, as I expected. Topic can be closed imo. ths all for explaining:cap_popcorn:

(...ohh..almost forgot: now we are talking Shima & Minotaur...uhhh...maybe can engine hp of Minotaur be nerfed..say with 20K??...makes my life as a destroyer player somewhat more easy?!......lol....just kidding...bye) 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles
7 minutes ago, Yaskaraxx said:

Ok, must be something like that. Engine HP (Horsepower) has big impact on accelleration. Thing is , I was just wondering, but ok, all seems to be fine, as I expected. Topic can be closed imo. ths all for explaining:cap_popcorn:

(...ohh..almost forgot: now we are talking Shima & Minotaur...uhhh...maybe can engine hp of Minotaur be nerfed..say with 20K??...makes my life as a destroyer player somewhat more easy?!......lol....just kidding...bye) 

Engine power is one thing, but the RN CLs in particular are unique with their ludicrously low water resistance/drag. Those ships can keep accelerating in a hard turn where other ships bleed speed like mad. Can be a double-edged sword though, because it also means they take a looong time to decelerate, even at full reverse and using the rudder to try and bleed speed.

Sign in to follow this