You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BruceRKF

Same ships - different torpedo damage?

17 comments in this topic

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

Hey guys, I have quite a lot of experience in WoWs and thought I knew the game mechanics. However, earlier today I took out my Akatsuki, went to cap, and met another Akatsuki. We both torped each other, both got one hit. I hit her for just over 9k damage, her torpedo killed me outright (no detonation). Both ships were at full health (B-Hull, no SE), so no damage saturation. We both couldn't explain it. Any idea what happened?

PS: I probably ran into things like this more often, but this was the first instance where I consciously noticed.

[ONE2]
Players
2,939 posts
17,676 battles

Yup Lad. That's the famous RNG God for you. Not every shot or torp always hits for maximum damage. :Smile_amazed:

• Bad 1

[-101-]
Alpha Tester
110 posts
2,729 battles

Like the man said, just RNG. I'm surprised you've never noticed before that they don't tend to do the same damage each time, even under precisely the same conditions. RNGesus must not have been pleased with you.

• Bad 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,939 posts
17,676 battles

Well, you see. Whatever figure it says in the stats as the damage per torp or gunshot. It is only the potential MAX damage and you are not always guaranteed that you get that exact maximum damage every shot (most likely you will not, in fact). That varies a bit (OK, a LOT) depending on where in the ship you hit, in what angle and so forth. So perhaps he hit you right in the middle and you only hit him in the Bow or stern or maybe he was angles somehow and you were hit square on the side, for example. :Smile_Default:

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

I knew that torps don't always do the same damage, but so far I thought it has to do with armour (which is the same for the DDs of the same tier, excepting the not-so-DD Khaba) and damage saturation. You never stop learning new things. Good to know RNG is just the same for torpedoes as it is for shells. Still seems mean to only do 9k when the max damage is almost twice that. Guess I didn't pray hard enough before the game :Smile_teethhappy:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,436 battles

All I can add to this is that I "KNOW" that when a torp hits me in a DD and has the smallest possibility to 1 shot me, it always does... :)

[and I always thought they did fixed damage, less TDS %, so good to know that there is hope for less than maximum sometimes].

Hmm, puzzled now. Wiki article:-

1. Torpedo hits into bow/stern -- deals about 0.9x the listed torpedo damage, independent of ship type.
  2. Torpedo hits into citadel with Torpedo Protection (e.g. anti-torpedo bulge, anti-torpedo belt) -- reduced damage, coefficient determined by the Damage Reduction value for the ship. This value can be found under the Survivability dropdown of the ship's specifications in the port. Not all ships have Torpedo Protection. Torpedo Protection also decreases the chance of flooding.
  3. Torpedo hits the mid-section of a destroyer -- reduced damage (multiplier of 0.9x to the listed damage, as of patch 0.4.1).

So only the possibility of doing 90% of the listed damage on a DD, no RNG involved. Again, using the wiki, Akatsuki torps should do just over 16k or 17k depending on upgrade, both of which when the 90% is applied do more than enough to kill that DD outright (anal moment, if 1 has SE and the shooter has stock torps, then the target would survive, just).

So either the Wiki is wrong/out of date, or... weird???

[ONE2]
Players
2,939 posts
17,676 battles
3 minutes ago, philjd said:

All I can add to this is that I "KNOW" that when a torp hits me in a DD and has the smallest possibility to 1 shot me, it always does... :)

[and I always thought they did fixed damage, less TDS %, so good to know that there is hope for less than maximum sometimes].

NAAH! Sadly that only works for the Red team. :Smile_amazed:

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

Makes no difference whether for the red or the green team, since I am colourblind anyway. I just know, the good things only happen others never to me :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
7,828 posts
9,498 battles

IIRC from Q&A topic torpedo damage is quite complex, stated torpedo damage is merely a guideline. If you have to take torp, take it to the bow/stern - single torp can deplete whole section hp and it won't deal more damage than section have hp. Amidships torp is almost certain "return to port" button.

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,541 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, RAHJAILARI sagte:

Yup Lad. That's the famous RNG God for you. Not every shot or torp always hits for maximum damage. :Smile_amazed:

There is absolutely no RNG in damage calculation.

RNG decides over dispersion, fires, flooding and AA but not damage.

In this case it is indeed Damage Saturation. He took the torpedo bow/stern, the section got depleted and the torpedo did less damage than his HP.

You took it midship, this section has more HP than bow/stern and you got the full damage and died.

• Cool 6

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

I took the torpedo about under the front turret, so a tad further forward and I would have survived? He took it at about his rear turrets, probably just far enough to count as stern then, I guess.

[TTT]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

There is absolutely no RNG in damage calculation.

RNG decides over dispersion, fires, flooding and AA but not damage.

In this case it is indeed Damage Saturation. He took the torpedo bow/stern, the section got depleted and the torpedo did less damage than his HP.

You took it midship, this section has more HP than bow/stern and you got the full damage and died.

thank you. I was just about to despair of the amount of clueless that had accumulated in this thread in such a short time.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,887 posts
17,008 battles

npdZWKV.gif

9 minutes ago, BruceRKF said:

so a tad further forward and I would have survived?

Yes.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,651 posts
12,626 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

thank you. I was just about to despair of the amount of clueless that had accumulated in this thread in such a short time.

Same here.. I almost started to have doubts :Smile_amazed:

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

Thanks for the educated clarification guys. What we should have learned is that you can't blame everything on RNG ;)

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
55 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

npdZWKV.gif

Yes.

Aren't WG nerfing those occurrences next patch?

No more 0 damage torp hits. I'm sure I read it on the PT patch notes.