You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gariter

Can't Connect to EU in China

11 comments in this topic

Question

[-AP-]
Beta Tester
4 posts
5,134 battles

So i'm in China

i download the EU WOWs client

i try to log in 

but it doesn't work

some DNS IP thing

i tried running express vpn before connecting

still doesn't work

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can connect to the EU server?

Thanks in advance

• Cool 1

10 answers to this question

[PAD]
Supertester
165 posts
12,019 battles

Hi, gariter!

Thanks Conway to bring me in.

As far as I know, the reason you can't connect is mainly because the most major ISPs route the connection to EU through one single gateway into the submarine cables, thus it is crowded as hell and leads to packet losses.

Chinese players use gaming network boosters to solve this problem when playing on EU servers. The boosters take a de-tour, for example, via Russia, thus the lag and packet loss is relieved to some extent.

As recommended by my clanmates, Lonlife is the best of the boosters. And fortunately, it has English version now.

1. Website

http://www.lonlife.cn/en/index

2. Official Tutorial

http://www.lonlife.cn/en/howto

3. Some correction from myself

The screenshots in step 4 in the official tutorial is outdated. I will do a small guide below.

3.1 When you finish the installation and launch the booster, the starting page will look like this, you need to press the login button on the top right corner to sign in with your account.

5a8bf0444e1ac_QQ20180220175247.thumb.png.91442aff6d14dd7c92215017b72481e4.png

3.2 After that, press the big square with "Add games" to choose the game you want to accelerate, to find World of Warships EU server, type wows in the searching area.

5a8bf13637c9c_QQ20180220175800.thumb.png.824f783b021c4953e0c4f644ff0d23ac.png

Now it is the tricky part for non-Chinese speaker. You need to find 欧服 in the five given results, which means EU server. Then press Add Game.

3.3 Now you will be returned to the starting page with game added, just press the big blue button with Accelerate on it and launch you game client, hopefully you can play with around 180ms latency without packet loss if you have done all right.

5a8bf25db4929_QQ20180220180250.thumb.png.f8b56c3ce71d908f6e74b22d58cd923a.png

4. Notes

4.1 As stated in the official tutorial, you need and have to buy the "Oversea“ membership to use the booster to connect to EU servers from China, which costs 97 CNY/~15 USD for 1 month. No refund available.

4.2 There could be still occasionally unstable network situation due to the performance of your local ISP or emergency situations of the servers on the de-tour routine.

4.3 The booster with Oversea membership can also work outside China when you have a good network but poor connection to target game servers due to cross-regional issues.

Hopefully I have everything here in the post, I will try to help if you have any further problem, tho might be slow reply :)

Good luck and hope to see you in the high seas on EU server soon!

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,156 posts
2,248 battles
9 hours ago, LilJumpa said:

There is the possibility that foreign game servers are blocked even via VPN ( I read that for Overwatch) because you use other connection ports for gaming. I am not certain about this and would have to dig in here because I am no expert in networks/routing.

The Chinese server is exclusive and run by a chinese company with different rulesets and laws. So maybe contacting the support (I don't expect good answers here) or one of the community managers directly would provide some clarification on this regarding this game.

You are a EU customer trying to access their product after all.  

Community managers you could contact here are:  

@MrConway, @Tuccy @Crysantos or @Sehales that can maybe help you

To be honest, this is something we have pretty much zero experience with, sorry :(

What I would try is chatting to our Chinese community, as some of them surely also play on the EU server. You could try poking @uocat nicely to see if he knows someone that could give you tips on how to connect from China.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Since you are in China I guess you know about the internet situation there aka the great firewall. (?)  

A friend of mine was in China a couple of years ago and he used his own VPN with a rented server from digital ocean which he set up.

He did that because he told me that some VPN services are regularly targeted by the chinese shield and slowed down or interrupted. He did not play WoWs though.

Quick google search tells me that expressVPN should be working atm though if you connect to the right servers.

https://www.tipsforchina.com/vpn-in-china-2017-blog.html

Just make sure that you start your VPN Service before opening any connection or service  (Launcher, the game itself, Steam or other services) and it should actually work although the pings could be very bad.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,114 posts
4,224 battles

In case tje above solution doesn't work, try using Pingplotter to see wjich part of the network is blocking you.

[-AP-]
Beta Tester
4 posts
5,134 battles

Thanks for the suggestions

Express VPN does work in terms of web surfing and youtube and all that

e.g if i connect to UK, when i surf google it says .co.uk as opposed to .com.cn or .com.uk

but just doesn't seem to work when i try to play WOWs

so just wondering if there was anyother programs that would allow me to get around the firewall and connect?

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
2 hours ago, gariter said:

Thanks for the suggestions

Express VPN does work in terms of web surfing and youtube and all that

e.g if i connect to UK, when i surf google it says .co.uk as opposed to .com.cn or .com.uk

but just doesn't seem to work when i try to play WOWs

so just wondering if there was anyother programs that would allow me to get around the firewall and connect?

There is the possibility that foreign game servers are blocked even via VPN ( I read that for Overwatch) because you use other connection ports for gaming. I am not certain about this and would have to dig in here because I am no expert in networks/routing.

The Chinese server is exclusive and run by a chinese company with different rulesets and laws. So maybe contacting the support (I don't expect good answers here) or one of the community managers directly would provide some clarification on this regarding this game.

You are a EU customer trying to access their product after all.  

Community managers you could contact here are:  

@MrConway, @Tuccy @Crysantos or @Sehales that can maybe help you

[-AP-]
Beta Tester
4 posts
5,134 battles

Thanks @uocat and everyone else that participated It actually worked now i won't miss out on the french missions

• Cool 1

Players
39 posts
3,497 battles

I have a SEA account, but am now in EU time zone and server. They will not transfer even at least my premium ships bought, let alone captains or signals.

Why can they not transfer or merge the accounts if you re-locate to a different zone and time zone, as most modern games and  MMO's just have one global account and not separated regions.

Then you can play anywhere in the world in the time and location you are based at that juncture....

They can still target regions with marketing and sales etc. In fact I bet this would rake in more money, than the divided regional game.

Yet this is the info age of global supa highway globalization... isn't it? This should be a global MMO, especially as its now on steam, with servers all over the world (hello Africa WG??) , YET only one account ( as they in fact advertise and claim on the home page hehe.

Unity.