zen_monk_

The best cruiser at Tier 7 ?

103 comments in this topic

Players
584 posts

As per title... what do you think is the best all-around cruiser at tier 7?

(and how to distribute 12 skills for her)

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,440 posts
11,437 battles

(With Premiums) Belfast (Captain: PT, JOAT, SI, CE, safe next points for IFHE)

(Without Premiums) Myoko (Captain: PT, EM, DE, CE, safe next points for AFT)

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,451 posts
13,843 battles

With premiums it's Belfast, no contest. Don't own her tho.

When it comes to tech tree cruisers I like Myoko as well, but I'm gonna have to go with Fiji.

Captain skills:

- PM (would take PT instead if you plan on being more mobile)

- AR

- SI

- CE

- JoAT

Would take AFT + BFT next probably. All T7 cruisers have [edited] AA but there really isn't anything else you can specialize into with RN cruisers.

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles

The Belfast and the Fiji, in that order.

As for skills, I took IFHE as the first level 4 skill on my Belfast captain, since the concealment module gives her a first rate concealment even without the CE skill. But going full concealment as early as possible is probably the better choice, at least in random battles.

Beta Tester
904 posts
7,087 battles

As gold-ship the Belfast, absolutely no doubt about that.

As silver-ship, i have a strange compassion for the Yorck, i have to admit.

Took me some time to get some love for that ship, but now i find her probably the toughest T7 CA in game.

Properly angeled you can take an amazing amount of beating and I managed to sink quite a few BB in Banzai-torp-runs and even survive the most.

The guns and flight arcs are ... strange, buit The HE is quite powerful.

Fiji is pretty strong too, of course.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Fiji

IMO better than Belfast at least in randoms because you can be more mobile and aggressive and can heal, so you rely on team-mates less.

PT - EM - AR - SI - CE for 12 points. SSE at 14 points.

I also have a soft spot for Pensacola but I doubt I'll persuade anyone about her.

• Cool 2

Players
406 posts
3,294 battles

My personal favourite is the Algerie. It has great range, good damage and penetration for its shells. The spaced armour can save you instant devastating strikes, while the speed helps with dodging. Torpedo arcs are excellent too, helping when you are forced to brawl. AA is weak, but there aren't many carriers besides.

Commander skills: PT, AR, DE, CE. Not sure what to go for next, maybe Survivability Expert and Expert Loader?

49 minutes ago, VC381 said:

I also have a soft spot for Pensacola but I doubt I'll persuade anyone about her.

Me too, loved this ship and may revisit her soon. Not just a floating citadel if sailed correctly. Plus, Myoko is great, but Algerie steals it for me.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

I'd say Myoko as well, she's the best all-rounder of the tier IMO.

Pretty standard skillset: PT, EM, DM, CE and AFT + AR later on.

Glad to see more people liking the Pensacola, got a weakness for her myself.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,081 posts
11,109 battles

I like to look at things from the other side, so here's my opinion on why certain ships aren't the best, from the bottom up:

Pensacola & Shchors

Both ships are made out of paper, one stern look in their direction and they get a double citadel through the bow. Their redeeming qualities are the great guns which in the case of the Pensacola fire the improved AP shell and for Shchors the 12 rapid firing rifles.

Yorck & Algerie

Both ships are heavily dependent on Damage-over-Time, they are unable to make bold plays. Algerie is weakly armored and Yorck has useless AP (over 10km). They are good for hanging back and firing HE.

Atlanta/Flint

Not only does this ship require a working knowledge of ballistics it also needs a dedicated captain and luck, as it has no armor and short range. Great against DDs, good against BBs, bad against CA/CL.

Flint is similar but has the added benefit of smoke.

Indianapolis

Better armor than Pensacola and radar make it a solid choice.  But she's still fragile, so there's little staying power.

If the New Orleans is similar after the upcoming change, it will be a clear contender among the better cruisers.

Belfast

While great, the ship is not being sold anymore. So if you don't have it, you might as well ignore it.

I keep mine in port for when I want to piss people off by spamming fire from smoke.

Fiji

The RN CLs are really good, if you can master them. They are not user friendly. But they can easily eliminate DDs and cruisers, BBs can get a solid work-over with sAP that leaves them reeling.

So if you are comfortable in a fragile ship you will do well in the Fiji. But remember that the smoke nerf made aggressive plays risky.

Myoko

If not for the bad AA this ship would be perfect. It can take some damage when angled. Has 10x203mm guns with great fire chance. The torps are good too, if you can make the firing angles work.

It has to show a bit side when firing all guns, but it's great training for when you progress further up the line.

It also has two cool looking Dragon variants that can be used as premium ships.

To me the overall winner is the Myoko, followed by Fiji. If the New Orleans is like the Indianapolis when downtiered, then it will take third place.

• Cool 5

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

If the New Orleans is similar after the upcoming change

If the New Orleans is like the Indianapolis when downtiered

Not to derail the thread, but did I miss something?

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles
4 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Not to derail the thread, but did I miss something?

New upcoming US CA line split:

Also, very nice breakdown @Aragathor, agreed on most things but I would add the Pensa's amazing manoeuvrability/turning radius in her redeeming qualities. Learn to use that and the armour (or lack of it) doesn't hurt as much.

• Cool 3

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,938 battles

Belfast or fiji no question.

On both you can go PM, AR, EM, SI, CE, but if you want better damage on Belfast switch out CE for IFHE. 

Players
584 posts
1 hour ago, Affeks said:

Belfast or fiji no question.

On both you can go PM, AR, EM, SI, CE, but if you want better damage on Belfast switch out CE for IFHE. 

First I would like to purchase Belfast :-)

Thank you all!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,141 posts
5,915 battles

I like Algérie. Quite strong ship.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,275 posts
6,712 battles

you can not buy the belfast annymore tho as far as i know.

but the myoko is  probably the most tanky t7 cruiser but has a mediocre fire rate.

Fiji is just shooting non stop but you need to position well otherwise you will get deleted.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,733 posts
6,638 battles

I haven't played all ships, so I'm not going to comment on them. But for those I have, in order:

I got ARP Myoko just before I got to the silver Myoko, which caused me to stop the entire line for quite a while just because the ship was so fun to play. Nowdays I still play ARP Ashigara as one of my mainstay ships. Anyway, ship's great. Awesome firepower, and one of the best tanking potentials for a cruiser. You can nuke DDs and angle against BBs with reasonable effect. It's also one of the best kiters, since your torpedoes have long range and good angles backwards, and she's agile enough to dodge most incoming shells, even if you occasionally turn enough to shoot your full broadside. While the HE is great, if you see a cruiser about to turn broadside, your AP still hurts a ton.

Fiji also has great firepower, but like all RN CLs, you need a bit of time to do damage (unless against DDs, but few ships need time for that). You can't tank for crap, though, so you need to be careful even if you also need to be aggressive. If there are no DDs on your flank, you can easily fulfill a DD role.

Yorck is an oddball. AP is crap at long and medium range, but awesome at close range. HE is very good for a German cruiser. Armour is very good for a cruiser, which allows you to tank surprisingly well, despite not having as much health as Myoko. Yorck is one of the better ships if you find those closed-off brawling areas (like the side caps of Shards), since's she's reasonable agile, has decent torpedoes, and the guns are excellent at close range, regardless of if you shoot AP or HE. At the same time, she also works as a long-range HE spammer. Mid range is actually the worst range to be at.

Shchors is a long-range HE spammer. The guns hit their target at any range, even if you aim at DDs. The armour isn't there, but most of the time you can avoid shells since it will take them a while to get to you. You shouldn't forget that since you have great shell velocity, your AP shells will also penetrate relatively well at long range as well, so if you spot a broadside, shoot them.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Yup I misses that US cruiser change! That just raised my pulse!

Having seen that, think both New Orleans and Helena could be contenders for T7 cruiser top 3 (depending on how they handle them, Helena in particular).

If you can't buy Belfast then Fiji is your best bet for that kind of style and a similar level of overall strength and game impact.

Going to come out and say I don't really like Myoko. She has great stats in every category, but the bad concealment, large turning circle and awkward gun handling can make her predictable and frustrating to play. She kicks you in the teeth if you try to play aggressive. I guess she rewards good positioning and is a fantastic support ship, but I prefer my cruisers to be able to act alone when needed and react quickly to changing situations. Same reason I like Fiji over Belfast.

I kind of forgot Indianapolis while talking about Pensacola. Actually that deserves a high spot. More or less same tankiness and firepower as Myoko but much more usable in terms of both ship and gun handling. No torps but concealment and radar instead. Overall more comfortable, more versatile and potential for higher game impact.

Long-range spammers like Shchors and Algerie can seem strong because it's easy to get a lot of damage and survive in them. But their game impact is low because they take too long to do that damage and they have to run when pressed so they can't really contest map positioning.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

I kind of forgot Indianapolis while talking about Pensacola. Actually that deserves a high spot. More or less same tankiness and firepower as Myoko but much more usable in terms of both ship and gun handling. No torps but concealment and radar instead. Overall more comfortable, more versatile and potential for higher game impact.

Long-range spammers like Shchors and Algerie can seem strong because it's easy to get a lot of damage and survive in them. But their game impact is low because they take too long to do that damage and they have to run when pressed so they can't really contest map positioning.

My main beef with the Indianapolis is her looks; that lowered trench across her waist looks like someone has taken a box saw to her.

My main selling point with the Algérie is also her looks; she's got that great, powerful 'heavy cruiser presence' about her. Not quite on Atago levels, but close.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
10 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

My main beef with the Indianapolis is her looks; that lowered trench across her waist looks like someone has taken a box saw to her.

My main selling point with the Algérie is also her looks; she's got that great, powerful 'heavy cruiser presence' about her. Not quite on Atago levels, but close.

I'm with you on this, I do play some ships just for their awesome looks. This is why I really want to get Algerie (not quite there yet), although I'm not convinced I'll enjoy her gameplay. Having said that, I like the clipper bow on Indy, and the US sure know how to do ship camouflage!

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
26 minutes ago, VC381 said:

I'm with you on this, I do play some ships just for their awesome looks. This is why I really want to get Algerie (not quite there yet), although I'm not convinced I'll enjoy her gameplay. Having said that, I like the clipper bow on Indy, and the US sure know how to do ship camouflage!

I think the best-looking ship in the game is probably the Scharnhorst. Those majestic, sweeping lines, adding up to a combination of strength and elegance that is hard to beat. And her camo pattern is gorgeous!

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
15 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I think the best-looking ship in the game is probably the Scharnhorst. Those majestic, sweeping lines, adding up to a combination of strength and elegance that is hard to beat. And her camo pattern is gorgeous!

Sometimes I equally like the look of two ships that are completely different, don't like deciding which is "best". But Scharnhorst is in the top category for sure. So is Hood. And from cruisers, New Orleans.

On topic, I forgot again, Scharnhorst is also actually the best T7 cruiser :Smile_glasses: (why did they remove the troll face smiley?!)

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
6 minutes ago, VC381 said:

On topic, I forgot again, Scharnhorst is also actually the best T7 cruiser :Smile_glasses: 

You know, I was just about to make that point myself... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles
7 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Sometimes I equally like the look of two ships that are completely different, don't like deciding which is "best".

You're right about that!

The German premiums generally hold to high aesthetic values in the game. There is no denying the graceful authority of the Tirpitz; the Teutonic Titan whose mere presence on a flank can be enough to deter a whole wing of enemy battleships from daring an approach.* Another personal favourite is the König Albert: If you absolutely have to impose your imperialistic, fin-de-siècle values on your unhappy colonies, you might as well do it in style! And on that note you also have the Emden, and of course the Bogatyr with her little shaded punch veranda on the stern. (Did I mention that  I really like the look of those old pre-Dreadnoughts?)

As for destroyers, the Blyskawica has a striking combination of strength and simplistic elegance that sort of mirrors the Scharnhorst, albeit on a smaller scale. To every true destroyer captain's delight, this Polish Protagonist has now been joined by the equally dashing Pan-Asian gunship, the Gadjah Mada. Together, they fight crime!

And then we have the mid- to high-tier cruisers. I did already mention the Atago; for me, she kind of symbolizes the concept of beauty and majesty on the high seas. And lately, the French cruisers have brought a new level of modernistic panache to the game. Yes, I'm looking at you, De Grasse; with your next to perfect proportions and your razzle-dazzle camouflage pattern, you are guaranteed to be the life of the party!

*And then they'll probably take her out with their greater number of more accurate, higher-calibre guns, but that's okay. You can't have everything.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
26 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Did I mention that  I really like the look of those old pre-Dreadnoughts?

Armoured cruisers do look a special kind of awesome. More funnels please! Add Chikuma to that list as well.

I've got a soft spot for most of the British ships. No flashy features or flaring curves, just no nonsense design that looks grand and radiates "imperial power" in an understated but imposing sort of way, like only the Brits can! KGV looks like an Arthurian castle afloat! Even the cruisers are in on the action. Fiji is short and square but damn if it doesn't look poised and aggressive, like it's rolling its sleeves to beat you up.

25 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

They didn't. :Smile_trollface:

I can't find it in my menu, yet another way the mobile version of this forum is really crap...

• Cool 2