Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MoveZig

Very disappointed

35 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BONI]
Players
1,256 posts
11,383 battles

This is the first time I can recall that WG has linked a major event reward to pure RNG. I spent hours upon hours doing the Vive La France missions (likely over 20 including the first mission chain) and not one container had even a single BB mission. It's obvious why - get disillusioned people to give up and buy more from the store. But the way this has been handled, I'm less inclined to throw money at WG because they just seem to be getting greedier. It's true that the game is free-to-play but there's another resource called time, and I'll never get those frustrating hours back. All I wanted was one single BB mission, which were dangled like a carrot only to be withheld so I'd spend money instead. I've seen a lot of scummy anti-consumer industry practices, and this gambling lootbox stuff is one of the worst.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,803 posts
9,057 battles

How long does it take you to get to the tier 5 BB the normal way?

Probably less time than you have spent doing the missions.

 

Getting a head-start on tech tree ships seems to me like the one of the least bad things to tie to chance. Something you can just get for free later the old-fashioned way.

I can see why someone wouldn't like the random chance of boxes, but until they add something really exclusive into the loot-table I'm not that bothered to be honest. I don't feel like I need a head-start on a new ship line, but it's convenient and saves me some credits if I do.

 

You still have the unique French captain as well as the Aigle to earn in the event.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Meh I snagged all available BB with 30 containers.

 

Apparently that's very lucky as the drop rate is 35 to 1 but I don't believe that stat myself.

 

Did pay for mine, I'd assume the grinded containers would drop less BB loot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,256 posts
11,383 battles
57 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Getting a head-start on tech tree ships seems to me like the one of the least bad things to tie to chance. Something you can just get for free later the old-fashioned way.

 

What bothers me is how cynically WG have tried to cash in on my hype for the line, and wasting my time in the process. I wouldn't have done these tasks if I thought I'd end up without any of the ships, even just the t3. I put my faith in WG that, like the collections (until this last one that is...), you're virtually guaranteed to get it done for free as long as you don't waste your duplicates. But no, they intentionally made the chance so low that you can end up with none of the featured drops. Even the collection this time is cynically designed to have an estimated 27% completion rate, again I'm sure with the intention of getting impatient people to buy lootboxes.

 

Here's the funny thing about all this: if they'd just offered early access to Bretagne for 3 bucks, I would have bought it. But between this utter waste of a mission chain and the RNG nature of the paid boxes, I won't be spending any money on WG for a while because I'm quite disgusted with them right now. The subreddit has people who bought lots of containers and didn't get the ship they wanted. Never mind my 3 bucks, let's fleece these people who want Richelieu right now and will gamble hundreds of bucks on it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,436 battles

In a way, it's just an attempt to:-

 

1) spread out the players at the launch of a new line

2) make some money when they do so - "what's in it for us"

 

So it makes sense on both of those, I guess that RNG did not favour you on your containers, it happens.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,803 posts
9,057 battles
24 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Even the collection this time is cynically designed to have an estimated 27% completion rate, again I'm sure with the intention of getting impatient people to buy lootboxes.

The collection is supposed to continue through to the next patch where you get more opportunities to get boxes.

 

29 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

What bothers me is how cynically WG have tried to cash in on my hype for the line, and wasting my time in the process. I wouldn't have done these tasks if I thought I'd end up without any of the ships, even just the t3.

But there is always going to be people who think different things are important to them.

When WG sells a premium ship, are they "cashing in" on the people who want that ship? Technically yes, but you normally don't phrase it like that, just like you don't say that cinemas are "cashing in" on people who wants to watch the new Star Wars movies.

 

I'll be clear in that I don't think that random loot boxes is the best delivery system for things you want and are willing to pay for. But I have no problem with free rewards being loot boxes as long as it's not gating something you can't get otherwise (like special upgrades, that's pretty stupid).

If instead of getting a unique premium ship at the end of a campaign I got 10 boxes, each with a 10% chance to drop the ship, then I would be pretty pissed off. But not if I can just wait a bit and get it later instead.

It's like when you could get a Gallant in the Dunkirk boxes. Nice if you do get it, otherwise you could just buy it like any other premium ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
1 hour ago, MoveZig said:

 

What bothers me is how cynically WG have tried to cash in on my hype for the line, and wasting my time in the process. I wouldn't have done these tasks if I thought I'd end up without any of the ships, even just the t3. I put my faith in WG that, like the collections (until this last one that is...), you're virtually guaranteed to get it done for free as long as you don't waste your duplicates. But no, they intentionally made the chance so low that you can end up with none of the featured drops. Even the collection this time is cynically designed to have an estimated 27% completion rate, again I'm sure with the intention of getting impatient people to buy lootboxes.

 

Here's the funny thing about all this: if they'd just offered early access to Bretagne for 3 bucks, I would have bought it. But between this utter waste of a mission chain and the RNG nature of the paid boxes, I won't be spending any money on WG for a while because I'm quite disgusted with them right now. The subreddit has people who bought lots of containers and didn't get the ship they wanted. Never mind my 3 bucks, let's fleece these people who want Richelieu right now and will gamble hundreds of bucks on it.

You're forgetting one very important thing.. The missions and collection is not for early access to the french ships it for a 10 point commander with special skills. The ships are an added bonus. Yes it sucks you did not get any but that's the nature of the crates. Ive had a huge amount of super crates i must average at least one a week. I know people that do not even get one a month but have had 2 or 3 prem ships. ve had non.

 

The crate information clearlys says

A chance to get an early French battleship unlock mission!

It never states you will get

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
847 posts
4 hours ago, MoveZig said:

This is the first time I can recall that WG has linked a major event reward to pure RNG. I spent hours upon hours doing the Vive La France missions (likely over 20 including the first mission chain) and not one container had even a single BB mission. It's obvious why - get disillusioned people to give up and buy more from the store. But the way this has been handled, I'm less inclined to throw money at WG because they just seem to be getting greedier. 

Can't complain.
Haven't spent any money for those containers and have just played the game.

Result: Got Bretagne, Normandie and Richelieu
Looks like RNG is everywhere in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,256 posts
11,383 battles

God, I wish the EU or some major country would require companies to reveal the odds on paid lootboxes. Even if you don't like regulation, you have to admit it'd be a pro-consumer move. If a business is making more money off the ignorance of its customers, that's unethical. Even with gambling, you know the odds unless the game is rigged.

 

1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

You're forgetting one very important thing.. The missions and collection is not for early access to the french ships it for a 10 point commander with special skills. The ships are an added bonus. Yes it sucks you did not get any but that's the nature of the crates. Ive had a huge amount of super crates i must average at least one a week. I know people that do not even get one a month but have had 2 or 3 prem ships. ve had non.

 

The crate information clearlys says

A chance to get an early French battleship unlock mission!

It never states you will get

 

 

Yes, a chance. Per container. Based on precedent from the collections, I expected it would add up to near-100% chance to get one ship by the time you collect every container, and remember this is about a 10- to15-hour grind for most players. And every time you open a container only to find junk, your heart sinks ever lower. Point is, it's not fun, it's aggravating. And for a game, that's a cardinal sin. If they said outright that the chance was , say, 3% per container, I'd probably still have tried my luck but with adjusted expectations, and it would not have been so frustrating.

 

1 hour ago, Nechrom said:

But there is always going to be people who think different things are important to them.

When WG sells a premium ship, are they "cashing in" on the people who want that ship? Technically yes, but you normally don't phrase it like that, just like you don't say that cinemas are "cashing in" on people who wants to watch the new Star Wars movies.

 

Lootboxes are like going to the cinema and having to blindly draw from a bag mostly full of tickets for The Garbage Pail Kids, until you get the ticket for the movie you actually wanted. Unless the rewards are all of equal appeal, but let's face it, here it's about the ship missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
2 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

God, I wish the EU or some major country would require companies to reveal the odds on paid lootboxes. Even if you don't like regulation, you have to admit it'd be a pro-consumer move. If a business is making more money off the ignorance of its customers, that's unethical. Even with gambling, you know the odds unless the game is rigged.

 

Look i was lucky i opened 19 crates and got 2 ships.. Even if EU did requier they tell you the chance to win. If it was 10% and you opened 10 crates and got nothing you do not have a leg to standon as long as wargaming could prove that across the server the rate was 10%.  

A % chance of opening a crate and getting something is not per person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,803 posts
9,057 battles
41 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Lootboxes are like going to the cinema and having to blindly draw from a bag mostly full of tickets for The Garbage Pail Kids, until you get the ticket for the movie you actually wanted. Unless the rewards are all of equal appeal, but let's face it, here it's about the ship missions.

Then a few weeks later they would show the movie for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,256 posts
11,383 battles
2 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Then a few weeks later they would show the movie for free.

True, it's aimed at the impatient. The people who buy dozens of boxes hoping for a t8 are the ones who make the dough, I'm just collateral damage.

 

And hey, I'm not just going to dump on WG today. The Chinese camos we were given are... rather nice, and I did get a week of premium from a SC, just in time to farm Aegis.

 

 

shot-18.02.18_11.24.57-0302.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
415 posts
18,470 battles

i think the captain is more important..cause in some weeks or days the bb line will be relleased so..and even if u had a bb mission  u cant grind the line yet

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Got up to tier VII in part 1 without buying any. So...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
6 minutes ago, cpt_sparrow_jack said:

i think the captain is more important..cause in some weeks or days the bb line will be relleased so..and even if u had a bb mission  u cant grind the line yet

Very much this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
7 minutes ago, DreadArchangel said:

Upto tier 6 the french bb's are horrible once you get to the normandie, it inproves, they all share the shotgun fire tho..

The Normandie is supposed to be good... Stat wise she is doing very well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,985 battles

Same for me, all I wanted was at least Bretagne! Openned all the available containers from missions, except the ones from hurricane league, got 0 missions! 0!!! Meanwhile most of my clanmates got at least 1-2, with some getting 3 in much less containers... it's just [edited]...


I had the same in SCs, and in last Christmas containers. Opened more than 40 of them and all I got was Okhotnik while the majority who opened ~10 or so got at least 2-3 prem ships, which were higher tier than Okhotnik as well. Sometimes I feel like WG nerfed my chances :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
40 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

True, it's aimed at the impatient. The people who buy dozens of boxes hoping for a t8 are the ones who make the dough, I'm just collateral damage.

 

And hey, I'm not just going to dump on WG today. The Chinese camos we were given are... rather nice, and I did get a week of premium from a SC, just in time to farm Aegis.

 

 

shot-18.02.18_11.24.57-0302.jpg

Why waist it on a prem? Much better on a grind ship i would have thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
18 minutes ago, Troublemaker_CRO said:

Same for me, all I wanted was at least Bretagne! Openned all the available containers from missions, except the ones from hurricane league, got 0 missions! 0!!! Meanwhile most of my clanmates got at least 1-2, with some getting 3 in much less containers... it's just [edited]...


I had the same in SCs, and in last Christmas containers. Opened more than 40 of them and all I got was Okhotnik while the majority who opened ~10 or so got at least 2-3 prem ships, which were higher tier than Okhotnik as well. Sometimes I feel like WG nerfed my chances :Smile_teethhappy:

Xmas crates i was lucky.. got 2 ships and 2 years prem time from about 30 Euro.. I would not bother with a lottery ticket if i was you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,985 battles
11 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Xmas crates i was lucky.. got 2 ships and 2 years prem time from about 30 Euro

WHAAAAAAAT?? Teach me master 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,506 battles
4 minutes ago, Troublemaker_CRO said:

WHAAAAAAAT?? Teach me master 

What i got exactly 

10 Huge containers and 5 Big containers 

Appart from Flags and Camo.  

2K dubloons

Kii (Tier 8 BB)

De Grass(Tier 6 CA)

450 days prem..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
430 posts
5,087 battles

Got up to Lyon without spending any money and to be honest, while it's nice to get free ships, Baguette BB line seems so boring (spood beest yay), stale and mediocre at everything, I'm not even planning to grind the line at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×