Sign in to follow this  
ScoutMkoll

RN Cruisers - jump from T7 to T8

24 comments in this topic

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts

I'm not that experienced in PVP (playing Random) but I managed to get up to Fiji without problems and I quite enjoyed that ship. I was hardly the terror of the seas but I often could contribute to games.  As I upgraded into Edinburgh, it feels as if I hit a brick wall. Sure, the ship is powerful but so is the enemy. But that's not my issue. The problem is that people are suddenly very hostile to one another without taking into account what each ship can or can't do. So Molotovs are berated for not hunting DDs at caps and so on. For me it's usually one of the two: I'm not "forward enough" between the battleship van and enemies OR I'm "too far forward and die too quickly" and it seems like suddenly the difference between those extremes is minuscule.

Is there anything you can suggest to get into the right mindset of how far forward/back I should gravitate? I'm using smoke, hydro and weapons as appropriate and reacting to the situation but it seems like everyone is complaining about everyone all of a sudden while high tier enemy ships make any mistakes fatal.

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,807 battles

Just play to your own ability and confidence, anymore, or if you feel obliged to go and do something because Captain Ayhole demands it, will result in you over-extending yourself, leaving yourself vulnerable and in serious harms way.

Do what you feel comfortable, but when you're top tier you can push yourself to take calculated risks; bottom tier, just stay safe and take those shots when you know the enemy are targetting someone else.

When you see the battle results and you did worse than you thought, (assuming you have replays enabled), re-watch your performance and see what you could have done better. If you did as expected or better, then just ignore any keyboard admirals. I've been reported several times by some dead knobhead for being a useless noob etc etc only to be top (or close) for xp while Lt Gobshite sits at the bottom. On the odd occasion when I've opened chat afterwards, its amazing how many of them never answer, but on one occassion the loudmouth apologised because he didn't realise that I'd done as much as I had. We ended up playing a few divs together and parted as shipmates!

TLDR

Just play your own battles as well as you feel you can. Help others when you can but don't sacrifice yourself unnecessarily. Watch some stuff on Youtube for more guidance etc.

Finally it is just a game to be enjoyed, don't ruin it for others but don't let others ruin it for you either.

:fish_aqua:

• Cool 2

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,806 posts
6,783 battles

Just wait till you get to Neptune, you either learn to love it since it dishes out insane damage, or you hate it because you explode anytime you make a small mistake. Its like Edinbrugh on steroids in both the good and bad ways.

Players
404 posts
3,234 battles

Don't forget that your smoke screen is literally a torpedo magnet. At T7 it may not have been so bad as DD's fail to pay attention, but at T8, 9 and 10 (pretty common match-making) every destroyer and cruiser will think about having a go at a smoke screen. Getting the timing of when to use smoke is hard, I struggle to get it right. Either it is wasted as I can only farm one full health battleship as the only visible target, or it is too close and torpedoes, battleships using spotter plane and aggressive radar cruisers push you.

As for the hate in chat, some players fail to grasp that cruisers need to use cover to do well. So if you see an island that you can shoot over, don't hesitate to use it. Cruisers that pick fights in the open tend to either lose or trade most of their health for a kill. Battleships should take the attention as they can angle, while you in your cruiser use hydro to spot torps for them, deter cruisers and sink destroyers that get too close.

Of course, that relies on your BB friends not camping the safest capture point on the map...

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. Yeah, smoke tends to attract attention but the maneuverability (at least acceleration and deceleration) of the Edi allows me to dodge torps and blind fire pretty well. I would actually prefer to use radar and really focus on hunting DDs but that really does require a BB that can tank and allow me to not be the focus all the time.

What Affeks says above seems to confirm what I've read elsewhere, that while the Fiji is worth stopping at for a while, the Neptune is pretty much an exaggerated Edinburgh so I may as well move up when I have the chance since I'm getting matched with T9s and T10s already anyway.

[YEEET]
Players
237 posts

Use islands.

Always have an island infront or next to you so you can avoid torps and DDs 

if the going gets tough. 

Always be in company, Fiji could easily be played alone in the open but 

Edinburgh, Neptune and Minotaur are fighting with tier 9-10s that radar and wreck you 

from afar. 

Fiji is awesome and is a bit OP. 

I didnt like Edinburgh but Neptune can turn a game. 

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts
8 hours ago, Mucker said:

@ OP

Are you running your Edinburgh with maxed out concealment mods/skills? 

Yeah, and smoke instead of radar for now. I plan to move to radar when I have a better feel of the positioning between death and being too far :). Or when I move up to Neptune..

[NWP]
Players
726 posts
6,267 battles

I was moaned at while in a Roon last night, because I didn't immediately fire on a DD radared in a cap that:

1. Was 15km away
  2. I couldn't see because of islands in the way.

The person moaning was doing the radaring, from safely behind an island which he didn't leave until more than 10 minutes in. He later complimented me after I finished top having carried the game. I got the DD a few minutes later, when the situation was in my favour.

Moral of the story, play the game you know you can, keep an eye on your team but try to make the best tactical decisions. Ignore the nonsense. If someone's really vehemently having a go, check their stats and have a good laugh.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
336 posts
4,774 battles

You are a destroyer.
Only bigger.
And with eaisly exploitable citadel.

Therefore play as you would play a destroyer, but don`t rush  into BB line of fire.

Also i don`t recommend sitting still, full broadside in your smoke. I don`t even mean that radar will kill you - it`s just really easy to hit smoked up ship using spotting plane`s angle of view ( and i belive this is the sole purpose of taking the spotter plane on a BB in the first place ). You`ll also present less of a target to any incoming torpedos.
Optimally you should sit as angled as it`s allowed by firing arcs, and/or behind an island.

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts
23 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Also i don`t recommend sitting still, full broadside in your smoke. I don`t even mean that radar will kill you - it`s just really easy to hit smoked up ship using spotting plane`s angle of view ( and i belive this is the sole purpose of taking the spotter plane on a BB in the first place ). You`ll also present less of a target to any incoming torpedos.

Optimally you should sit as angled as it`s allowed by firing arcs, and/or behind an island.

Dying in smoke has never been a problem for me, perhaps once or twice, from truly unexpected torps.

In the end if found my footing in the Edinburgh and the comparison to a destroyer is not a bad one as usually people didn't expect the more aggressive play and it paid off. Still, I decided to move to the Neptune as soon as I had enough XP for the ship and necessary upgrades.

So the Neptune is FUN, it handles well, its guns are a joy to aim and fire, there's just one 'but'. All of a sudden I get matched with many T9s and T10s and everyone is just so.. tough. The peashooters on my ship hit a lot, even citadel quite a bit but the damage is just low. If it's not a DD or a CL, I don't even need to bother, or so it seems for now. The utility is great: I provide AA cover, screen against torps, delete DDs where I can but that's pretty much it. I'm cool with that role but I'm a bit underwhelmed that the Minotaur's damage will likely be comparably limited.

[NWP]
Players
726 posts
6,267 battles

It won't be, trust me :)

Edinburgh is a good ship a bad spot. Minotaur is god-like even among peers

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts
19 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

It won't be, trust me :)

Edinburgh is a good ship a bad spot. Minotaur is god-like even among peers

Sounds like I do have something to look forward to! Good!

[TB-PF]
Beta Tester
12 posts

The best played RN CL's always hang back, your second line support who can, if well situated behind islands unspotted, cause utter devastation. 

Play the game your way while contributing and you're doing it right.

Some people think CL's should be yolo charging, don't, you're far more valuable alive keeping DD's away and spotting torps. if a BB or CA has a clear line on you, you're doing it wrong. DD's can Cit a minotaur, so you learn pretty quickly to stay back, abuse your gun arc and insane damage potential to punish anyone silly enough to be in range while being invisible. 

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles

I didn't really get on with the RN cruisers until Fiji (which was a relief and good fun) Edinburgh seemed like a step back as it is very sluggish compared to Fiji, but a great ship. Neptune I gave up on and free xp'd to Minotaur, which I love to death.

Support your DD's in the caps, but you need to know where hard cover lies or be far enough away that if you get radar'd no one will insta' delete you - be aware that even safe in smoke at a safe distant there are players driving BB's who can, and will target you correctly, so never sit still, fire broadsides and not turret by turret. If your side lack DD's (or have none) you can cap, just use your eyeballs and instincts to try to do it safely.

They are great fun AND effective when played aggressively, but do expect to burn out and not fade away!

• Cool 1

Players
404 posts
3,234 battles

If you want to cap with Edinburgh, make sure you pick that concealment module in the final slot. I bought it when it was reduced at Xmas, but it is well worth the credits. Combined with CE, you can stealth torp. Or, should you take radar (I did for ranked a few times, actually rather good), you can counter-radar DD's that have spotted you. Just remember you have nowhere to run without your smoke.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I found more success stacking rudder shift mods on Edinburgh. The stealth is good enough with CE even without the module, and super rudder shift is trollish because RN cruisers don't lose speed in turns. It gives you a way to play dynamically when your smoke is down rather than hiding and waiting for the next.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles
6 hours ago, VC381 said:

I found more success stacking rudder shift mods on Edinburgh. The stealth is good enough with CE even without the module, and super rudder shift is trollish because RN cruisers don't lose speed in turns. It gives you a way to play dynamically when your smoke is down rather than hiding and waiting for the next.

Have you tried that on the Mino'/Neptune - I like the idea of WASD hacks to avoid incoming fire rather than smoke?

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
16 minutes ago, philjd said:

Have you tried that on the Mino'/Neptune - I like the idea of WASD hacks to avoid incoming fire rather than smoke?

I haven't researched those two and I'm in no rush to get them. Having said that, I use the rudder shift module on all US cruisers T8 to T10 and that works great too. I don't know how much more risky it would be with the Brits as I think both Neptune and Minotaur have higher citadels and bigger targets painted on them than Edinburgh. But, looking at stats, Minotaur has impressive base concealment and a surprisingly tight turning circle (both better than Edin actually). That makes me think it should work. Neptune... not so much.

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts

Neptune is awesome at ambushing too but it's concealment while firing in smoke sucks big time. Still, so much more fun than I had in the Edinburgh.

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts

It took me much longer than expected but I finally got my Minotaur. HOLY MACKEREL! Neptune was such a slog, a ship which always felt a little underpowered for any situation and role. In my first game in the Minotaur, I devastated the opposition, getting citadels left and right, racking up tons of damage and so on. This ship's handling, guns.. everything just felt natural. So in the end it was all worth it :)

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles
13 hours ago, OamMkoll said:

It took me much longer than expected but I finally got my Minotaur. HOLY MACKEREL! Neptune was such a slog, a ship which always felt a little underpowered for any situation and role. In my first game in the Minotaur, I devastated the opposition, getting citadels left and right, racking up tons of damage and so on. This ship's handling, guns.. everything just felt natural. So in the end it was all worth it :)

well done on getting her - my favourite ship, enjoy your time with her.

But be warned, you will get deleted on occasion, it is unavoidable - unless you sit in A1 all game :)

Beta Tester
873 posts
7,040 battles
On 3.4.2018 at 1:58 AM, OamMkoll said:

Greetings, dedicated fan of Tanith`s First and Only :Smile_honoring:

i was following this thread very closely, because I gave up when reaching Neptune, I have to admit.

Fiji was and is great - still in harbour - but Edinburg was struggle and Neptune was pain for me. So I sold it.

So, as you say the Minotaur is worth it, maybe I pick up the pieces again and go for the Minotaur :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
76 posts

I'm far from proficient in the Minnie and she's by no means an instant win ship but she definitely has that flexibility of "I see an opportunity and I can take it" which made the Fiji so much fun. Torps, guns, maneuverability.. they all have something to offer. In the Neptune I felt like every deviation from the optimal positioning or tactic would immediately get me deleted while the Minotaur can adapt and is fun to play with. So yeah, screw the Neptune (other than for AA) but once you make it to tier 10, you'll feel alive again :).

Sign in to follow this