Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Migantium_Mashum

The Language Barrier in game.

58 comments in this topic

Players
938 posts
8,473 battles

Ever been in a game and messages are not understood because the language used in chat is not your own.

Games lost because of players of different nationalities failing to pass on understandable information and the inability to coordinate attacks because people simply don't understand each other.

Do you think it possible for WG to create a method of communication that displays commands or instructions in the players own language or is it too much to ask for? Keyboards are set to individual languages why not in game chat?

• Boring 1

[DSW]
Players
3,784 posts
7,726 battles

Quick Commands to exist... otherwise, do you really think running Google Translate over the ingame chat would make that even the slightest bit more intelligible? I wouldnt mind because I expect the results to be nothing short of comedy gold, but I doubt it'll be of any use...

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
14,639 posts
10,869 battles
20 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Ever been in a game and messages are not understood because the language used in chat is not your own.

Games lost because of players of different nationalities failing to pass on understandable information and the inability to coordinate attacks because people simply don't understand each other.

Do you think it possible for WG to create a method of communication that displays commands or instructions in the players own language or is it too much to ask for? Keyboards are set to individual languages why not in game chat?

If people cannot coordinate with the non-verbal tools in game, they are NOT able to coordinate at all.

Some are just beyond help.

• Cool 3

[FDUSH]
Players
1,117 posts
6,582 battles

People should learn the basics of English. Or at least give an effort on trying. (As you can see, english it's not my native language, I learn it by playing games, using internet, watching movies, etc).
It's REALLY irritating when someones writes on Klingon (Polish people are the ones that does this often).
Sometimes I meet a Spanish player and he talks to me on spanish, I answer in spanish but also I write what I just said on English so everybody would understand.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
11 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

I wouldnt mind because I expect the results to be nothing short of comedy gold

What, you don't believe this is a great reason to support it? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[NLWG]
Players
36 posts
5,598 battles
44 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

One of the reasons why in WoT I play on the usa servers. Predominantly English BUT Latency has ticked me off so decided for WoWS to use EU servers. Language versus Latency?

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
45 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

It's already in the game.

Players
766 posts
12,219 battles

You're asking Wargaming for a reliable, multilanguage, real-time embedded translator/interpreter? We're still some generations, either in real life or computer-wise, far from that. And that's just if everybody used their respective languages flawlessly, so adding misspellings, jargons, leet and whatnot... Nope, not a chance. Apart from that, there's a saying about finding out someone's mother tongue by the curses he spits when cut while shaving, so expect to learn a lot of foreign strong words, wether creative or not, in such scenario.

As Tyrendian89 and ColonelPete stated, there are quick commands already, which should have been the method for this mutual intelligibility at the bare minimum level, but good luck with people using them properly. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be that difficult to get the basics for some hints and coordination in chat, because everybody tends to use the same (or at least very similar) conventions for shortenings ("torp" for torpedoes, "cap" for capture...), acronyms (AP, HE...), locations (base, A or Alfa, B+C or BC...) and ships' nicknames, which in the end become the in-game jargon. Sargento_YO sums it up spot on too: knowing and using even a very skeletical English is critical, then your own language for a bit, just a bit, of chit-chat with someone from your own country (and translating if required for others to understand as a sign of politeness).

Salute.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
850 posts
5,114 battles

If you keep it simple at least in a Domination game it should not be that hard to get co-ordination.   So, where there are 3 caps - A&B, B&C or where there are 4 caps A&B, B&C, C&D are fairly simple commands.  I don't know how more complex commands could be issued or understood.

From my experience some players ignore even the simplest discussions at the start of the game.

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
48 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

People should learn the basics of English. Or at least give an effort on trying. (As you can see, english it's not my native language, I learn it by playing games, using internet, watching movies, etc).

Yeah that's true. But then english people should make an effort to and try using the metric system~

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,901 posts
13,814 battles
3 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Potatoes don't read the chat or react on it anyway. except to spam "good luck and fair seas" and all the other BS at the start of a battle.

• Cool 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
850 posts
5,114 battles
12 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Potatoes don't read the chat or react on it anyway. except to spam "good luck and fair seas" and all the other BS at the start of a battle.

At the start of most Domination battles I try and ask 'which caps' and suggest two caps - a number of players respond with 'all caps', other times there is a few minutes of players spamming the 'good luck and fair seas' types of messages and sometimes there is a brief series of messages either confirming which 2 caps to go for before some sort of concensus emerges - then players go for the caps they want anyway.....

Beta Tester
3,901 posts
13,814 battles
9 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

At the start of most Domination battles I try and ask 'which caps' and suggest two caps - a number of players respond with 'all caps', other times there is a few minutes of players spamming the 'good luck and fair seas' types of messages and sometimes there is a brief series of messages either confirming which 2 caps to go for before some sort of concensus emerges - then players go for the caps they want anyway.....

Just follow the motto: "Go to where the DDs go, but never eat the yellow snow!" unless you're in a DD... then you just go where YOU think you are most valuable for the team depending on your skill and ship.

If you are bad in a DD, then getting rekt usually won't hurt the team much anyway. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
850 posts
5,114 battles
21 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

unless you're in a DD... then you just go where YOU think you are most valuable for the team depending on your skill and ship.

When playing DDs it's nice to have some support to shoot at what you spot.  Quite often there will be enemy DDs around (especially at caps) and if they have support and you don't your game may be short (not all DDs are that stealthy).

Beta Tester
3,901 posts
13,814 battles
2 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

When playing DDs it's nice to have some support to shoot at what you spot.  Quite often there will be enemy DDs around (especially at caps) and if they have support and you don't your game may be short (not all DDs are that stealthy).

Wrong starting point...

• As a DD you are ALWAYS alone on the battlefield. ALWAYS!
  • NEVER - never ever! - expect any support at all.
  • all others whose ships are showing the same colour on the minimap are bots. Or potaotes. Or both. They will never give any support to you, as they are not programmed to support you.

When starting a battle from this presumptions, you will never be disappointed because of getting no support, but, in the really, really, really rare case you get support, can be very happy.

• Cool 6

[BUSHI]
Players
3,031 posts
16,210 battles
9 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

It's REALLY irritating when someones writes on Klingon (Polish people are the ones that does this often).
(...)

Hehe. First at all often somebody is writing in their own language, becouse he met person from his own country and this talk is often not game related. I am Polish and a lot of us know English well. In our education system, knowing English is a first priority.

However I am amused then so many Westerners don't understand that language. When I was some time in ex. Eastern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece and tried to speak with natives, most of them lacked any knowledge of English, while ex. in Sweden even oldest people knew it even better then I.

Anyway from my observation up to 90% of players no hablo Inglese in random battles. Fortunately things are much better in ranked.

Players
3,590 posts
7,308 battles
2 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

When playing DDs it's nice to have some support to shoot at what you spot. 

F3 - capture that area

F5 - requesting support

You've already achieved better communication that 90%+ of players in random battles.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,031 posts
16,210 battles
13 hours ago, Capra76 said:

F3 - capture that area

F5 - requesting support

You've already achieved better communication that 90%+ of players in random battles.

Typical random "talk" looks like this: Especially "funny" when you are the only DD in game.

F3 - capture that area

silence and ships turning away from closest cap going into oppossite direction.

F5 - requesting support

Deny !

F12 - $%#%!!

All lemmings trained to distant empty cap.

End of communication. Another slaughter ...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HKE]
Beta Tester
641 posts
10,078 battles

I always put a cup of coffee in front of the chat because I hate to read what the people are talking about. :cap_like:

Beta Tester
427 posts
4,871 battles

Rule number 1 when playing in EU servers on any game:  Whatever you do, do not... I repeat, YOU DO NOT ask anyone to speak english. You'll not only insult their team, but their families, kin and race too.

• Cool 1

[_DIB_]
Players
90 posts
9,828 battles
4 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Wrong starting point...

• As a DD you are ALWAYS alone on the battlefield. ALWAYS!
  • NEVER - never ever! - expect any support at all.
  • all others whose ships are showing the same colour on the minimap are bots. Or potaotes. Or both. They will never give any support to you, as they are not programmed to support you.

When starting a battle from this presumptions, you will never be disappointed because of getting no support, but, in the really, really, really rare case you get support, can be very happy.

Yep agree with this statement. Plenty of set where your in the front as the rest are behind "Provider cover for ___________" at hmmm 18km away against the other side that already have range for radar and other things in range to a cap. To have support happens rarely and when you do the enemy is sunk before you can finish them off with what ever when your in DD.

Players
149 posts
10,148 battles
3 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

[...]I am Polish and a lot of us know English well. In our education system, knowning English is a first priority.[...]

Nope

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this