You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
eaerion

Pink name bug

28 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
1,389 battles

Hi,

I'm not sure if that's a bug but certainly the friendly killer mechanism should be reconsidered.

I play CV. In last game I used my torpedo planes to kill one of enemies. I succeeded but one of topedoes accidentally hit one of our battleships. I've got a standard warning for dmging your own mate. But the battleship started sinking. So my friendly fire dmg counter started to rise. About minute later I've got a second warning, then my nick changed its colour and i lost my ship.

I really would stop causing that dmg if I only could. Maybe the engine should consider dmging as casuing new cause of damage.

Regards,

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts

So you hit a friendly with a torpedo and got him flooding to the point that you did enough damage to go pink.

This is a classic case of do NOT fire torpedoes where you can hit friendly ships. Just as possible to do in a CV as in any other torpedo armed ship, admittedly less likely as air dropped torpedoes are shorter range than most.

Learn the lesson that going pink is intended to teach, take more care where you shoot.

Players
4 posts
1,389 battles

" This is a classic case of do NOT fire torpedoes where you can hit friendly ships. " I'd argue in that specific case. 5 other torpedoes killed enemy almost full hp battleship.

Anyway I expect anti team killer to punish for intentional and consistent working against your team, not for random accidents, not for hard decisions to make. This way I am 1st in the team with the most XP and 2 frags and - I'm a pink team killer.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 20 Minuten, eaerion sagte:

Anyway I expect anti team killer to punish for intentional and consistent working against your team, not for random accidents,

How should the system decide if what you did was an accident or on purpose?

Exactly, it can't. So both being punished is the fairest choice.

Plus: Being pink doesn't mean much. It's not like it disturbs your gaming experience in any way, unless you damage your team again ;)

Players
4 posts
1,389 battles

"It's not like it disturbs your gaming experience in any way " Try to convince partner CV (with a lesser tier) to sacrifice some of its fighters so you could remove all on enemy side as a pink player. ;)

Players
943 posts
8,497 battles

I am sure that most people have caused damage to allies. Going pink usually means too much... If I do cause damage then I apologise immediately... If I go pink then there is nothing to be done and it usually for a maximum of 9 games.

It is impossible for the game mechanics to decide what was deliberate and what was an accident so the one rule fits all is at the moment the fairest option.

[YEEET]
Players
1,188 posts
11,264 battles

Just go and play some games in Co-Op if it bothers you that much. Pinkness will diminish quickly.

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts
1 hour ago, eaerion said:

" This is a classic case of do NOT fire torpedoes where you can hit friendly ships. " I'd argue in that specific case. 5 other torpedoes killed enemy almost full hp battleship.

Anyway I expect anti team killer to punish for intentional and consistent working against your team, not for random accidents, not for hard decisions to make. This way I am 1st in the team with the most XP and 2 frags and - I'm a pink team killer.

There's really no such thing as an "accident" when torpedoes are involved, just carelessness. Every time I've gone pink it's been me aiming carelessly or not paying attention to where allies are. There is no argument to be made.

This is NOT a bug, you went pink because of the TK rules which are quite reasonable, learn the lesson and move on.

• Cool 2

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles

You know, most people would just bite down and play the three, maybe four games it takes to no longer be pink. Knowing that either they made a small mistake to earn the rosy name, or the highly unlikely scenario that someone else was at fault, they'd realize how totally inconsequential being pink is to a good player and keep on trucking.
You though? you just had to go the extra mile didn't you.

Players
4 posts
1,389 battles

" How should the system decide if what you did was an accident or on purpose? " Well, it can assume that huge damage caused by a single shot (citadel, ammo detonation), or a single torpedo (with dmg over 30k) is a random situation I guess.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not angry or something like that, I'm not gonna stop playing or flame here. I will sure wait for pink name to change it's color.

I'm actually an IT developer myself and I know how feedback is important to keep software on a highest level possible. That's my feedback. Cheers! :)

[BFS]
Beta Tester
876 posts
5,129 battles

There should be less chance to do team damage in a CV due to the 'top down' view of the map that is used for play.   Most team damage is caused by players not noticing there are friendlies nearby because they are 'zoomed in'.

Some players, out of principal, will not use damage control when they've been hit by friendly fire that has caused flooding or fire damage.  Although it may not be convenient to use damage control if they are under fire from enemies firing HE or DDs nearby.   Maybe, if the offender apologized in-game then they would repair (if possible).

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles

Just be more careful OP. If you made the choice to torp close to an ally then you're responsible for it and I'm speaking from experience. Which is why now whenever I drop my CV torps near an ally I'll make sure that the direction my torps head is away from my teammate and not towards my teammate to avoid a repeat. Just suck it up and depink yourself and take it as a lesson learnt.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,505 posts

Did you, or did you not drop those torps?

Did you notice that there might be a chance to hit a friendly? (If you did not notice: What is the reason you did not?)

Was there anything you could have done to avoid doing team damage?

In the end, the answer to those questions are irrelevant. You did what you did and now you have to deal with the consequences. You dropped those torps, so you are responsible for them. You should still question yourself if there is a way for you to prevent such accidents in the future. It is not WarGamings duty to hold your hand and to protect you from bad decisions. You need to do that yourself.

Beta Tester
3,907 posts
13,842 battles
5 hours ago, eaerion said:

But the battleship started sinking. So my friendly fire dmg counter started to rise. About minute later I've got a second warning, then my nick changed its colour and i lost my ship.

seems that allied BB did what I would do in such a case of "idiot friendly fire" - he just did not use repait to see you getting pink'ed. :cap_haloween:

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
4 hours ago, eaerion said:

" How should the system decide if what you did was an accident or on purpose? " Well, it can assume that huge damage caused by a single shot (citadel, ammo detonation), or a single torpedo (with dmg over 30k) is a random situation I guess.

So it is OK for someone to ruin someone else's game with an ' accidental ' or careless torpedo. But it is not ok for someone to ruin his own game for accidentally killing / severely damaging a teammate? 

[WGP2W]
Players
1,422 posts
9,970 battles

When I drop torps, and I know that enemy is going to be hit.... and that ally can NOT be hit unless he make some IQ2 movement... I perfectly dont care if I hit him. I will not apologize because some monkey could not dodge torpedo. But in this case I am not sure dodging is right word, if in first place he would not be hit unless he started turning  for some more greedy damage or kill.

But also, I would not complain here on forum.... no reason :P

So,  rule "torping from second line" is kinda retarded and heavly situational. If you hit  friend on 16 km with gearing... that is your faulta gain right? Because he just sailed 8 killometers from moment you sent torpedoes to moment when they hit him.

[UNICS]
Players
336 posts
4,811 battles
49 minut temu, Boris_MNE napisał:

and that ally can NOT be hit unless he make some IQ2 movement...

Guess why i`m pink now...
Answear: An intelligent DD doing a 90 degree turn just to hit my torps (and ground himself right beforehand).
You can expect more intelligence from Co-op AI than from random players, hence DON`T fire torps if there is any ally infront of you/on the way.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
1 hour ago, Boris_MNE said:

When I drop torps, and I know that enemy is going to be hit.... and that ally can NOT be hit unless he make some IQ2 movement... I perfectly dont care if I hit him. I will not apologize because some monkey could not dodge torpedo. But in this case I am not sure dodging is right word, if in first place he would not be hit unless he started turning  for some more greedy damage or kill.

But also, I would not complain here on forum.... no reason :P

So,  rule "torping from second line" is kinda retarded and heavly situational. If you hit  friend on 16 km with gearing... that is your faulta gain right? Because he just sailed 8 killometers from moment you sent torpedoes to moment when they hit him.

The thing is, in my dd I sail quite erratic. Especially under fire or when I'm expecting an enemy DD close by. I also don't really check for possible friendly torps in my back. I have enough to deal with while screening or providing fire support. 

That said, if I have to make the choice between eating friendly torps or enemy torps I will always eat the friendly ones. I refuse to give the enemy a kill they don't deserve because a friendly limited my movement. 

• Cool 1

[_DIB_]
Players
92 posts
9,857 battles
1 hour ago, Boris_MNE said:

If you hit  friend on 16 km with gearing... that is your faulta gain right? Because he just sailed 8 killometers from moment you sent torpedoes to moment when they hit him.

No it just shows that their not paying attention to that little thing they call a mini map or the taarts rush for that greedy damage tally as stated. I had that happen in my gearing and that with "torps out", but didn't matter. Yep pink. So just werk it off until the next taart does it again.

[WGP2W]
Players
1,422 posts
9,970 battles
3 minutes ago, stewie533 said:

The thing is, in my dd I sail quite erratic. Especially under fire or when I'm expecting an enemy DD close by. I also don't really check for possible friendly torps in my back. I have enough to deal with while screening or providing fire support. 

That said, if I have to make the choice between eating friendly torps or enemy torps I will always eat the friendly ones. I refuse to give the enemy a kill they don't deserve because a friendly limited my movement. 

Yes mate but I am talking where friendly ship intentionally make 90 degrees turn only so he could grab kill and by the way eat torps.

So , we will agree that it is time to revisit policy: your torps your responsability. Considering how much brainless monkeys sails around in these days.

P.s. i wont deny that  usually ppl tend to not care and hit friends, but still sometimes it can be "victims" all fault.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles

While I agree that you should never launch/drop torps on a target in a way that can potentially hit allies, making "friendly" ordinance incapable of setting fires or cause flooding is well within reasonable bounds imo.

We've all had that moment when one guy just sails in front of you just as you fire a salvo, hitting him with a single shell which sets him aflame.

Potentially losing a good chunk of HP or straight up sinking this way is just plain stupid.

That said, being pink doesn't do anything anyway aside from making you look fabulous if you're not on a constant teamkilling spree.

• Cool 2

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 9 Minuten, El2aZeR sagte:

That said, being pink doesn't do anything anyway aside from making you look fabulous

Yeah, it goes well with the Hurricane color :cap_like:

f98952709b.png

• Funny 3

Players
447 posts
6,382 battles
14 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

While I agree that you should never launch/drop torps on a target in a way that can potentially hit allies, making "friendly" ordinance incapable of setting fires or cause flooding is well within reasonable bounds imo.

We've all had that moment when one guy just sails in front of you just as you fire a salvo, hitting him with a single shell which sets him aflame.

Potentially losing a good chunk of HP or straight up sinking this way is just plain stupid.

That said, being pink doesn't do anything anyway aside from making you look fabulous if you're not on a constant teamkilling spree.

I run IJN CAs a lot, and launch a lot of torpedoes. I send a warning like "torps passing you on right"  if there is a DD to my front, and obviously launch them to miss the DD. Every few hundred hundred games or so I get it wrong and end up pink for 7 games. I could be much more conservative with the torps, but they are such a big part of the IJN firepower that it is actually detrimental to game play to do so. 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,772 posts
10,685 battles
11 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

So you hit a friendly with a torpedo and got him flooding to the point that you did enough damage to go pink.

This is a classic case of do NOT fire torpedoes where you can hit friendly ships. Just as possible to do in a CV as in any other torpedo armed ship, admittedly less likely as air dropped torpedoes are shorter range than most.

Learn the lesson that going pink is intended to teach, take more care where you shoot.

I'm all for harsh TK punishments, but DOT effects being treated as persistent team damage is a ridiculous error in the system. Think this way: had OP launched torps right into an ally, sinking him outright, he would get pink for that. Dealing lots of damage via flooding could/should be treated similarly. What happens instead is the much, MUCH harsher penalty normally reserved for someone who keeps an ally under fire for extended period of the time. It's clearly not the proper behavior of the system - flooding or not, all the damage inflicted is still the effect of a SINGLE mistake, so it's not right for the system to give it the additional harsh treatment intended to dissuade people who are persistent about trying to kill an allied ship by firing at her again and again.

• Cool 1