Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
deadly_if_swallowed

Schrödinger's ship

20 comments in this topic

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

We finally have proof. A ship can be afloat and sunk simultaneously.

As you can see below, our team managed to get 12 frags. But the last enemy ship is not registered as sunk. The detailed report confirms this - Edinburgh is not blacked out and is listed among the ships that I shot at but did not sink. Yet it says "destroyed by main battery" and she bears the sunk symbol.

Yeah, science, b**ch!

shot-18_02.17_01_29.08-0333.thumb.jpg.8c70d1ad8da8b2c9875ce696a5230b69.jpg

shot-18_02.17_01_29.36-0858.thumb.jpg.831bbb13e8e7d71f7a23ea8261437faa.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Funny 12

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles

Quoting a post I wrote about a month ago in the "Greatest Achievements" thread. It got buried quite fast due to being near the bottom of the page.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:16 PM, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Well... how could I explain it... okay: I've sunk a ghost ship. Either that or I sank a ship twice in the same battle. I'm not making this up, I can hardly believe it myself.

First the screenshots from the detailed stats and one from the replay taken right when the counter reached 1000:

5dQ6XXv.jpg

A9xmjmT.jpg

And now in the spoiler the team and personal scores, and the replay itself if someone wishes to check it out:

Salute to all.

EDIT: For some reason the replay doesn't download. When clicking a "signature doesn't match" message appears. I've tried reuploading with a different name, which shouldn't have been an issue, and it still keeps popping.

I didn't pay much attention and didn't check the ships' carousel in the detailed stats when taking the post-battle screenshots (thus I can't say which ship was the undead one) but my mind kept telling me that something was off, so I double-checked and went through the replay. So yes, it happens and it happened to me firsthand, at least the part of being "rewarded" with the sinking that didn't happen in battle.

As for a possible explanation at the computational level, it looks like some mismanagement in either truncating or rounding floating point values or operations. Well, I said mismanagement but it may be more like one of those once-in-a-lifetime cases of the value ending up at the wrong side of the proper/related/intended integer. Don't forget that variables, even a double-digit floating point, are still limited by both their definitions and the memory allocated to them, so errors by rounding or truncating accumulate every round of calculations.

Salute to all.

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

Well, in my case it's pretty simple: I sank that Edinburgh just barely after the points hit 1000. So there is a tiny timeframe in which such stunts can happen apparently. But the result looks hilarious nonetheless.

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles
1 hour ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

Well, in my case it's pretty simple: I sank that Edinburgh just barely after the points hit 1000. So there is a tiny timeframe in which such stunts can happen apparently. But the result looks hilarious nonetheless.

Hmmm, that's certainly quite possible: the conditions for ending the battle have been met but the calculations are temporarily still running and the data saving process takes a bit of time and is sequential, hence the disparity between the ones saved first (Edinburgh, still alive when his info was fixed for later processing, i.e. post-battle statistics) and those saved later (yours, with Edinburgh now sunk). Welp, I still need to find an explanation for mine though.

Salute.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,564 battles
1 hour ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

One month later another Schrödinger's ship spotted:

5pRMWyyh.jpg

VkGVfFlh.jpg

This feels like chasing neutrinos.

Salute.

39 pink matches to go! Holy cow what have you done? :Smile_ohmy:

[FDUSH]
Players
1,119 posts
6,597 battles
27 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

39 pink matches to go! Holy cow what have you done? :Smile_ohmy:

No, thats 39 dmg caused to allies, not 39 matches. He must have scratched the paint of another ship, thats all.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,564 battles
5 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

No, thats 39 dmg caused to allies, not 39 matches. He must have scratched the paint of another ship, thats all.

oh ok i thought that it was matches as it uses the same space for that.

My spanish sucks... :Smile_sceptic: (is that even spanish? :Smile_teethhappy:)

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,999 posts
7,180 battles

I guess the Edinburgh hasn't decided yet whether he is alive or dead :Smile_veryhappy:

Someone should open the box and check ^^

640px-Schroedingers_cat_film.svg.png

Maybe the battle was a branch point and the ship is both sunk and afloat, but they are just in different branches of the universe(/server) :P

[ETD5]
Players
269 posts
1,602 battles
1 hour ago, Miessa3 said:

Yes, it's spanish. You can tell it because of the letter "ñ". This letter can only be found at spanish alphabet.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,119 posts
6,597 battles
5 minutes ago, Vlad_Vado said:

Yes, it's spanish. You can tell it because of the letter "ñ". This letter can only be found at spanish alphabet.

And also I can tell because it's my native language, lol

[ETD5]
Players
269 posts
1,602 battles
22 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

And also I can tell because it's my native language, lol

It's also my native language. But for a foreigner one of the best ways to identify spanish is to look for that specific letter. If I only told that it was in fact spanish wouldn't learned one way to try to identify it. You know, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him fishing and he'll eat forever.

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles
1 hour ago, Miessa3 said:

Yes, it's Spanish and, as Sargento_YO pointed out, it's just some scratching. TK has pink letters on black background. Let's try not to derail the thread, but as a way to compare things I'm adding below an example of actual pink status in the Spanish client. This was before transitioning from a CRT monitor to a widescreen one early this year (and I had to dig through quite many screenshots, I've received the status less than ten times in my nearly 9k battles):

8M37cEqh.jpg

Salute.

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles

PEF acquired and right at the second battle with her another Schrödinger's ship appears:

rM4kueth.jpg

YrZf3Mkh.jpg

I was the last man standing and the T-61 and me killed each other, but he got me first. The screen froze yet the sound of sinking a ship played, so I suspected it was going to happen and the post-battle results confirmed it.

Salute.

• Funny 1

[PN]
Players
74 posts
1,778 battles

Schrödinger's ship

Most befitting title for the post. If I may suggest "Heisenberg's Ship" as an alternative for a future related post.

Congratulations for the most humorous title.

Sign in to follow this