Sign in to follow this  
ricksname

Best premium BB with my coupon?

11 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
308 battles

I've just come back to WoWS after a long break. Played a little at release, but couldn't really get into the game coming from WoT. Having great fun this time around, and now find that I have a 30% off coupon with 3 days left to spend it!

I'm not well experienced with the game, and usually wouldn't consider buying a premium ship without a good understanding of playing at that tier. Having said that, 30% off seems like something I shouldn't miss out on!

I'm considering buying a premium ship for playing later down the line. Mainly for grinding out some money, as well as having some fun with the ship.

My interest is mainly in BBs. I've looked at both the Tirp (the current favourite) as well as the Alabama. I've read that tier 7s can also be solid for making some money, but as I'm looking at playing through the German BB line currently, the tirp seems like the obvious choice if I end up moving captains around. I'd be open to suggestions and thoughts on any other ships too, but probably less interested in the premium DDs.

What should I do here? Take advantage of that 30% and invest for the future? Or just forget the purchase entirely and use the discount on some premium time?

Thanks a lot!

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,938 battles

Alabama is by far the best and most competitive, Its the whole package. I personally love the ship, super agile and stealthy paired with very powerful guns and impenetrable AA. Ofc Citadel is low in the water and torpedo defense is some of the best in the game. The guns take a few games to get used to, but they are so good once you get comfortable in them.

Kii and Tirpitz also have their moments, Tirpitz is the most noob friendly, but has a pretty low skill ceiling. Kii has some of the same tools Tirpitz has and a few more, but is much more squishy, less stealthy and less agile. It has a high skill ceiling, so lots of stuff to get good at and learn about the ship. I like Kii more than Tirpitz, but most would say otherwise.

Hood is one of my fav tier 7 BBs, but its not really good enough for me to recommend at all. Its fast and tanky, but guns leave some to be desired.

Dunkerque is really bad, just dont even consider it.

tl;dr
Get Alabama if you think youll be playing the game a lot, but I would recommend premium time as transfers to WoT as well. Albama is only minorly different than North Carolina so its not like Alabama is very unique either.

[POI--]
Players
3,912 posts
5,023 battles

For German BBs, apart from the Tirpitz, there's also the Scharnhorst. It's T7, it's a bit special with its 28 cm guns, but still competitive and versatile. Others might be able to say more about the ship, only had it for a couple days on trial, but it was quite solid.

Modder
3,894 posts
6,952 battles

You should have at least some kind of experience in a specific tier, before you buy a premium ship in that tier.

In the moment you have absolutely no clue how to play a tier8 BB. You do not know what is expected from you and you do not know which enemy ships threaten you most. Your current lack of experience will make you a burden for your own team.

• Angry 1

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,590 battles
1 hour ago, principat121 said:

You should have at least some kind of experience in a specific tier, before you buy a premium ship in that tier.

In the moment you have absolutely no clue how to play a tier8 BB. You do not know what is expected from you and you do not know which enemy ships threaten you most. Your current lack of experience will make you a burden for your own team.

No, You answer to hasty, OP states that he will play the ship later, just want advice on how to use the coupon, and I think that a 30% off coupon is useful, but I would rather buy a year of prmium time as that benefits all ships. So my suggestion to OP is Premium time first, the longer ones are cheaper, but if you want a ship Tirpitz an Alabama are both good choices.

It is a difference to buy rather than play, I have T7 Kaga, Saipan and Enterprise and I have not used them yet. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
216 posts
4,056 battles

@ricksname

[spoiler='Watch this video']

[/spoiler]

You also have to consider what type of playstyle do you enjoy: do you like the bow in style, or the flanking style, or brawling, do you plan on playing ranked, etc and, ultimately, make a decision yourself. 

When i received the -30% coupon, i watched the above video and many more (Aerroon, Ichase, etc) also asked strangers123's opinion (he is streaming occasionally)

My conclusions were this:

-NC is better than the Alabama, better armor, AA, concealment, back turret firing angle, sigma 2.0 vs 1.9 (so Alabama is a downgrade; for the bow-in meta, meaning you do not need Alabama's torpedo belt protection);

-Amagi vs Kii [ Amagi has topedo belt, armor, concealment, sigma 1.8 vs 1.7 - Kii has AA (better long and medium than the NC), torps, angled is just as tanky]. So Kii is a sidegrade.

-Bismark vs Tirpitz they both have unreliable accuracy, which is why they are NOT recommended for competitive gaming (Bismark has AA and Hydro - Tirpitz has torps). So Tirpitz is a sidegrade.

I chose to buy the Kii as my first tier 8 premium BB, as I already had the NC and Amagi. With the Amagi/Kii you can do the "aft-in" meta, which is what strangers123 does. :Smile_teethhappy:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, ricksname said:

I've just come back to WoWS after a long break. Played a little at release, but couldn't really get into the game coming from WoT. Having great fun this time around, and now find that I have a 30% off coupon with 3 days left to spend it!

I'm not well experienced with the game, and usually wouldn't consider buying a premium ship without a good understanding of playing at that tier. Having said that, 30% off seems like something I shouldn't miss out on!

I'm considering buying a premium ship for playing later down the line. Mainly for grinding out some money, as well as having some fun with the ship.

My interest is mainly in BBs. I've looked at both the Tirp (the current favourite) as well as the Alabama. I've read that tier 7s can also be solid for making some money, but as I'm looking at playing through the German BB line currently, the tirp seems like the obvious choice if I end up moving captains around. I'd be open to suggestions and thoughts on any other ships too, but probably less interested in the premium DDs.

What should I do here? Take advantage of that 30% and invest for the future? Or just forget the purchase entirely and use the discount on some premium time?

Thanks a lot!

Although Tier 8 has a good selection of very strong premium ships with good earning potential, I see two problems.

1) even though you say you'll wait to play it until you're experienced, which is fine, there's no guarantee you'll actually like high tier play. Some people never do.

2) the premiums BBs at T8 are all very similar to their tech tree counterparts, in other words a bit stale from a gameplay point of view.

I would suggest going for a T7 as the matchmaking and overall game enjoyment peaks at that tier in my opinion. You'll get to play your premium ship sooner and in my opinion enjoy it more. Also you get a selection of much more unique BBs that are significantly different to what you can research in the tech tree, which is a bonus. Earning potential remains decent.

If your target is the German BB line, get the Scharnhorst over the Tirpitz.

EDIT: the whole experience thing is overrated BTW and the people who smack you down for buying high tier premiums are just being elitist IMO. I bought Atago after playing for just 1 week and only having T5 Furutaka. It was a learning curve but I didn't have any problems and was soon doing very well. The gameplay high up is not really harder, it's just different and as I said often not in a good way. Whatever you buy, don't be scared to try it out when you feel ready. Just don't look at the chat...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
216 posts
4,056 battles

The thing is that the Scharnhorst has been removed from the tech-tree and premium shop. OP needs to check what he can actually buy with that coupon. When i received mine, i could only buy tier 8 premium ships, so.........Also, i would not recommend buying the Hood, it has very bad accuracy (inconsistent) and short fuse ap, meaning you will very rarely pen a BB's citadel, it has Iowa level of turning circle, questionable AA

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,938 battles
7 hours ago, Origin47 said:

My conclusions were this:

-NC is better than the Alabama, better armor, AA, concealment, back turret firing angle, sigma 2.0 vs 1.9 (so Alabama is a downgrade; for the bow-in meta, meaning you do not need Alabama's torpedo belt protection);

Flamu isnt telling the whole story here and hes speaking from his own perspective.

In truth Alabama has far better turning circle, much better rudder shift, much better turret traverse, smaller citadel, better armor, smaller target (for both torpedoes and shells).

So for a competitive player in a competitive envirnoment then NC is better, but for randoms and for the average player Alabama is MUCH better.

About the armor, I dont know if Flamu actually said that the armor was worse on Alabama, but its completely false. Alabama has slightly thicker deck armor, but much more importantly the citadel is further down by the waterline and the citadel plating is inclined inwards making it difficult to citadel at range. On the other hand NC has a taller and less inclined citadel resulting in a lot more damage when showing broadside.

Even in terms of concealment it isnt that impactfull, Alabama has actually better air detection, but ofc worse surface detection. 

In the bow in meta torpedo belts are more important than you think, DDs will love to torpedo static targets over a moving roaming battleship.

So in my conclusion Alabama is better for randoms, but slightly worse in any competitive environment.

Beta Tester
216 posts
4,056 battles

@affeks My conclusions are not based only on flamu's opinios and alabama has worse armor. Look at the athwartship armor. The armor is worse. Also, with the NC you should try to use your concealment, which means you should not be near torps. If anyone wants to take an advanced position, there are better ships for that, like the amagi (you go in front turn behind a rock and you stay aft-in) or the bismark/ tirpitz so as to use the secondaries. 

Anyways, OP needs to do his due diligence and make his own choices.

Players
5 posts
308 battles

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I ultimately went with the Alabama.

I did find Flamu's video, and watched some footage of a few other options. Ideally I'd have liked to go with the Scharnhorst, but as it isn't currently available on the EU store, the Alabama seemed like a solid option. It won't allow me to train up captains as I progress through the German BB line, but I'm looking forward to having a very different style of BB play available to me once I reach tier 8 with the KM. Those hard hitting guns will no doubt be pretty appealing by that stage!

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this