You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Scypeer

How does fighter plane vs fighter planes work

8 comments in this topic

[CXE]
Beta Tester
7 posts
1,975 battles

So basically I just got out of a game where we I played a full upgraded Langely IV vs another. I've got commander skills for air fighters etc. so as far as I could tell my plaens can't be any better meaning that the opponent can only have worse or equal air fighters, however he 26-0'ed me in the air. He literally destroyed every single aircraft I had with his first squadron of fighters. (The first initial battle was a 6v6 fighter over a mountain with no ships from either team engaging in the battle. I lost all 6, he lost 0.

Then he went on to wipe my bombers, wiped my remaining 4 fighters while I had assist from a cruiser in the fight and my torpedoes. He never resupplied once shooting down a total of 26 aircrafts, without losing a single plane.

What am I doing wrong?

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

Hard to say without replays. Theoretically he could have had incredibly good luck. What is more likely though is that you may be missing certain modules and upgrades. Whilst possible, that amount of bad luck is unlikely. Just enable replays for now. If it happens again, we can take a look and give you a more concrete answer.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,431 posts
13,838 battles
42 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Contrary to popular belief AA isn't completely reliant on RNG. AA is a rising chance over time, derived from the average lifetime one of your planes has in an AA bubble (which in turn is fighter health calculated against AA dps in some way). The chance rises per tick (every 140ms), so every 140ms you have a chance of shooting down a plane, which again rises every tick that passes but tops out at 90%. Depending on whether you lose a plane early or late you squad also receives a survivability buff or nerf respectively.

And ofc the same applies to fighter combat.

Then there appear to be hidden mechanics in fighter combat as well. Keep in mind that there is nothing official that proves what I'm saying in this section. Everything is derived from my own experience in CV play.

There seems to be some kind of interception bonus when you catch an enemy fighter on the move or during a strafe. If both of the fighters engage head on, the outcome is subject to RNG. However if you get caught moving, from behind or from the side, in my experience you're almost guaranteed to lose that fight unless your fighters had enough time to complete their turn when told to engage. Likewise strafing will cause your squad to lose all dps for quite some time immediately after, getting caught while strafing is usually a death sentence for your fighters unless they've shot down enough enemy fighters to diminish their dps.

And ofc enemy AA is also a factor.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,439 posts
11,421 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Scypeer sagte:

I lost all 6

You don't have Air Supremacy captain skill. It adds another plane to each fighter and dive bomber squad.

So if he has it, he has 7 fighters, giving him numbers advantage.

Then there is the captain skill Aircraft Servicing Expert adding 5% HP to planes.

Vor 1 Stunde, Scypeer sagte:

is there flags or camuflage that gives insane aircraft buffs?

November Echo Setteseven gives +10% dps to rear gunners, but that shouldn't affect fighters.

[CXE]
Beta Tester
7 posts
1,975 battles

I have aircraft servicing.

Would his "Bar" only show 6 lines if he has 7 planes?

Also who has that many skillpoints on a tier 4 ship?

Is it even possible unless you prefer playing low tier ship which you can't manually drop the torps on because well, stupidity.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,431 posts
13,838 battles
28 minutes ago, Scypeer said:

Would his "Bar" only show 6 lines if he has 7 planes?

No, he'd have 7.

26 minutes ago, Scypeer said:

Also who has that many skillpoints on a tier 4 ship?

It's fairly easy nowadays with free captain exp to train up a new captain to at least 10 points.