Sign in to follow this  
thepuma2012

hosho has no chance against langley

14 comments in this topic

[RONIN]
Players
140 posts
6,293 battles

with the better fighters langley has, hosho stand no chance, how do you cope with that?

Players
951 posts
8,500 battles

Improve your commander skills which seems to be the only way to stand a chance or draw Langley fighters over allied ships to take advantage of their AA fire.

[POI--]
Players
3,908 posts
5,023 battles

Abuse allied AA. I'm not a good carrier player and I stopped playing the class, but I still earned most of my Clear Sky awards in Hosho. Look up at start of the match which of your allied ships have actual AA, then bait the Langley fighters there. After killing the fighter squad twice this way, you basically can dominate the sky.

On the other hand, Hosho gets two torpedo bomber squads from the start. Use them to cross-drop battleships and cruisers, it is far more efficient than Langley's single torpedo bomber squad and single dive bomber squad. Hosho's greatest issue is that autodropping DDs is a waste of time 99% of all times. Best keep those planespotted with your fighters after you are done with the Langley.

And even if the enemy CV won't fall for it, you can still count on them only having one fighter squad, so they can only be present at one location. Even worst case, it turns into some stand-off, but usually, that's still better than getting deplaned and handing the enemy air supremacy. If you think Hosho vs Langley sucks, then you have no idea what Zuiho vs Bogue was like before they revamped the USN loadouts. Two fighter squads of 6 vs one of 4. Very fun. Obviously, Bogue would be pretty bad at killing ships, but it sure was brutal at killing planes.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
140 posts
6,293 battles

Okay, it is kind of what i thought. I already tried to use allied ship´s AA a bit.  I think I had a very good langley player against me last time,  which fighter planes disturbed everything i wanted to do, but it depends on map also. Small map makes it easy to get fighters where you want

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles

Yeah, aside from trying to use the AA of your allies there really isn't anything you can do at that tier.

You do however have two TBs, though. What you can do is split them and attack different targets on two different flanks while using your fighters only in a defensive manner. That way it becomes impossible for the Langley to intercept both of your TBs, so you can simply pull the TB that's being threatened by the enemy fighter back while the other attacks without interference.

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles

I'm currently grinding the Hosho and I had a lot of problems with it at the beginning.

I'm kinda doing what's already been suggested here, knowing which allied ships have good AA and luring the enemy fighters over it, locking it and have the enemy fighters destroyed (hopefully).

Upgrading and commander skill helps a lot, but this won't be much help if you don't have a good commander yet (like when you just started playing) or are low on credits (which is realistic if anyone has just started playing and/or has lottle real money to spend).

I did notice that I often get into battles with 2 CVs each team, I can make use of that.

I'll keep the torp squads together mostly, but will split up if the enemy CV is really making an effort to disrupt my gameplay.

Another tip would be to avoid any (usually tier 5) enemy ships that have good AA. Mostly the British, USA and German BBs. If you can find any other target, target those first so you don't run out of planes.

Keep in mind that you have a very low amount of reserve planes. Do not waste your planes in the start of the battle for a quick kill.

[SB]
Players
52 posts
1,316 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, Riselotte said:

Abuse allied AA. I'm not a good carrier player and I stopped playing the class, but I still earned most of my Clear Sky awards in Hosho. Look up at start of the match which of your allied ships have actual AA, then bait the Langley fighters there. After killing the fighter squad twice this way, you basically can dominate the sky.

On the other hand, Hosho gets two torpedo bomber squads from the start. Use them to cross-drop battleships and cruisers, it is far more efficient than Langley's single torpedo bomber squad and single dive bomber squad. Hosho's greatest issue is that autodropping DDs is a waste of time 99% of all times. Best keep those planespotted with your fighters after you are done with the Langley.

And even if the enemy CV won't fall for it, you can still count on them only having one fighter squad, so they can only be present at one location. Even worst case, it turns into some stand-off, but usually, that's still better than getting deplaned and handing the enemy air supremacy. If you think Hosho vs Langley sucks, then you have no idea what Zuiho vs Bogue was like before they revamped the USN loadouts. Two fighter squads of 6 vs one of 4. Very fun. Obviously, Bogue would be pretty bad at killing ships, but it sure was brutal at killing planes.

Time your cross drops right and not even DD's can escape you. I got most of my carries in the IJN line done by killing DD's early and often, denying the enemy invaluable spotting.

Fighters and bombers without load are faster than USN planes too, so use that to bait the fighters away from targets you want to strike.

[POI--]
Players
3,908 posts
5,023 battles
9 minutes ago, MadGunna said:

Time your cross drops right and not even DD's can escape you. I got most of my carries in the IJN line done by killing DD's early and often, denying the enemy invaluable spotting.

Fighters and bombers without load are faster than USN planes too, so use that to bait the fighters away from targets you want to strike.

I dunno. It might be T4, but even there I found few enough DDs that are potato enough to die to a Hosho autodrop, even if cross-dropped.

[SB]
Players
52 posts
1,316 battles
4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I dunno. It might be T4, but even there I found few enough DDs that are potato enough to die to a Hosho autodrop, even if cross-dropped.

If you time the cross drop just right you'll always connect at least 1 torp. Two hits is gravy, but that single guaranteed connection on the sneakiest ship class is in my opinion worth the time it takes to strike.

Players
2 posts

One option for Hosho is to kill the enemy Langley with both TB squads

you should use your FT to bait Langley's fighters away from your TBs

also use a TB squad to cause flooding to the enemy , wait for them to reflexively use the damage controll party then wait 30 seconds , and then deliver your strike package and cause another flood .

A flood's full duriation is 90 seconds and will cause 60 percent of damage too the ship's total HP , in this case you will be able to have a

one-cv-gameplay for the rest of time

IF  the enemy fighters decides to attack your TBs , try to hold enemy fighters in place ( you can always do that because you have faster aircraft)

After Langley is sunk , take out it's remaining FT(2-3),TB(6),DB(6), or other Spoting Aircraft,Catapult Fighter in order to gain more XP and also spot incoming torpedoes and most of all DD (destoryers) for (allies and teammates) so (they) can flee before the danger approaches and target deadly DDs.

If you don't have a CV go and get one !!!

Actually , I don't have a CV at this particular moment , but I'm on the way to Hosho.

I'm using the Doubloons earned in missions to redistribute commander points from (Isokaze,(6) I am going for Mutsuki in order to get more commander points (10) so I can get the Air Supremacy)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,258 posts
6,795 battles
2 hours ago, PLAYER_SKILLFUL said:

One option for Hosho is to kill the enemy Langley with both TB squads

you should use your FT to bait Langley's fighters away from your TBs

also use a TB squad to cause flooding to the enemy , wait for them to reflexively use the damage controll party then wait 30 seconds , and then deliver your strike package and cause another flood .

A flood's full duriation is 90 seconds and will cause 60 percent of damage too the ship's total HP , in this case you will be able to have a

one-cv-gameplay for the rest of time

IF  the enemy fighters decides to attack your TBs , try to hold enemy fighters in place ( you can always do that because you have faster aircraft)

1) check the dates of these posts :fish_palm:

2) You will hit up to 4 torps with those 2 squads. You are not guaranteed (even sort of unlikely) to get more than 1 flooding from them, regardless of his dmg-con. A CV snipe is a very weak option there

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
11,995 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, PLAYER_SKILLFUL said:

wargaming limit the numbers of flooding on a ship 1

(at the same time)

well the flooding deal insane damage 

mang

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
351 battles

As a Hosho, try to avoid the Langley fighters. Be where the Langley planes aren't. This tactic works for me.

btw, I keep a Hosho in my port just so I can call that ship my 'Ho'.

Sign in to follow this