You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

Is WG customer service always like... this?

16 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

So I had this problem.

After the latest update (0.7.1.), I could no longer focus-fire ships, just aircraft; and I could no longer call out ships as targets; just aircraft (except when playing CVs - then I can't even designate planes).

So I talked to a few others in various of the game and port chats, none of whom seemed to be affected by the same issue. Asked around in some of the subforums here, to no avail. So I went to WG customer service.

Which led to a "ticket" being opened.

First response after three days. Apologizing for the delay, they asked me to send them a screenshot of my "bindings", by which it turns out the meant my control key settings. Even though there is no option in these settings to change the target designation away from the left mouse button. The most they could find there I think would have been me re-assigning the free look to something other than CTRL (which I hadn't, and I think I would have noticed if the free look had stopped working.)

Seeing as how far down those settings scroll, I had to make not one, but NINE screenshots to get them all.

Which I dutifully did, and uploaded.

This time, there was an actual response but it didn't make any sense to me. I mean apart from the fact that including one further enquiry by me, this was the third different person that responded to me, all of whose names sounded as fake as those of the co-op game bots and are possibly meant to obscure the fact that I'm actually dealing with some agency in France or Pakistan or Belarus -

apart from that, they wrote

"Unfortunately there is at the moment an issue with this settings. Affected are players who have changed the settings long time ago and could not be assigned to the "Artillery Camera" starting with the Update 0.6.8 from August last year. The Update 0.7.1 did force the reset of the key bindings, so now these players can't get their preferences back through the controls settings.

Our developers are working on the improvement which will allow to use RMB as the "Artillery Camera". It's difficult to say when we will release the improvement. It depends on the WG engineers."

Still, I tried to remain perfectly polite, as far as my Teutonic being allows for that, in all its glorious frankness. Told them I had reset the controls to default, which hadn't changed the problem, which had cropped up immediately after the initial controls reset caused by Update 0.7.1. I told them nobody else seemed to have this problem. And I pointed out that I didn't even have an account in August but only created mine on October 5th, 2017.

Predictably, they now wanted me to do a complete re-install from scratch. [ARGH]

I have super low bandwidth and that would take about one or two days. During those days I wouldn't even be able to watch Youtube or anything because the update would hog most of the bandwidth. OK so it wouldn't exactly hurt me to get out from behind the PC once in a while but still.

Luckily though, I had a full backup from 0.7.0 when everything was still working perfectly fine.

So in order not to waste those days, I tried overwriting the game folder with that backup, then letting it fetch just the latest update.

Which still - predictably - did not solve the problem.

Which I am more convinced than ever has nothing to do with any corrupted files on my system but with a bug in their latest update.

But of course there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that they now will insist I do that full re-install.

<sigh>

(That was the first time I voiced mild displeasure, especially seeing I'm a paying customer and probably sink more dough into this game than the average gamer kids that beat my [edited]black and blue in the game so frequently.)

WoWs_Service 1.jpg

WoWs_Service 2.jpg

• Cool 1

15 answers to this question

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Long text :Smile_Default: - Answer to the question in the title: I don't know. When I had to deal with support I was always helped.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly is not working now because your described problems seem to be different key combinations:

- calling out ships requires the ship being targeted(X) and then pressing F3

- targeting ships/locking the target is either done automatically by the game (nearest) and can be changed by pressing X

- focussing a ship for secondaries requires you to free the mouse cursor with CTRLand then clicking on the ship

It is true that update 0.7.1 reset the key bindings and it is no longer possible to rassign the Right Mouse Button as Artillery Camera. Some players have reported this and there is supposed to be a change incoming, because WG did that on purpose to prevent interferences with other functions of RMB.

First question is always: Do you run any mods? If yes, delete them and try again.

Usually if you have problems with key bindings, the next fix would be to delete the preferences.xml file in the WoWs folder.

Then all your settings are automatically reset and the game creates a new preferences.xml file upon the next game start.

If this doesn't help I would run the integrity test in the Launcher

setup.thumb.PNG.290b160beacb61bda6a7e9baa9807b78.PNG

I don't know if you already did all those steps or if they were suggested by support.

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, LilJumpa sagte:

- calling out ships requires the ship being targeted(X) and then pressing F3

Maybe I'm getting senile but calling out ships did not require the ship being target-locked with X. It required moving the Free Cursor over the target, then hitting F3. I used to do this all the time right until it stopped working after Update 0.7.1, it also says so in the List (https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/36029-list-of-mouse-and-keyboard-commands/)

Even though later in the thread it says you need to lock it but I definitely do not recall ever having to do that for as long as I have been aware of the function. I can't try it at the moment though because as of this morning, after playing without any other hick-ups til about 2 a.m last night, the game has now begun to crash during start-up. A few moments after klicking the PLAY button of the first WoWs Client splash screen. Maybe there actually is something wrong with the hard drive in that computer after all.

Still, I'd find it a strange coincidence that both the back-up and the internal hdd drive should suddenly be corrupted immediately after Update 0.7.1 was implemented. Meanwhile, that Update was already supplemented with another sub-update 0.7.1.1 which contains at least one official bug fix.

Focusing a ship as a target for secondaries also has stopped working.

I still can call out aircraft and focus fire them for AA guns - in DDs Cruisers and BBs - not CVs.

I also read the patch notes for 0.7.1 twice and if there's any control changes in there, I missed it both times. All it said was the controls would be reset to default. However, I did neither change the control key bindings of the Free Cursor nor that of the Quick Messages on the Function keys, as my screenshots clearly showed. The only keys I reassigned was switch the Y and Z keys because their locations are switched on my German keyboard, which makes accessing the Y consumable super awkward.

Still and all, maybe it's the push I needed for finally migrating to my new gaming PC that has basically sitting on the desk, nearly finished, for two months now  m-)

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

OK I'm starting to I think someone's having me on.

I did the preferences.xml delete and tried again. And I couldn't say if the following observation is a new development or if I just didn't notice before but what happens is this:

When I repeatedly mash the F3 key like a complete idiot, or when I desperately hold it for a few seconds, then sometimes - sometimes the ship under the free cursor is actually called out.

By me. As I could see in chat because there is the call-out chat message generated with my username.

(Earlier, I used to think I maybe mistook other peoples' call-out of the same ship for mine when it maybe worked intermittently.)

This of course made me think maybe it's a hardware issue with the F3 key or something, but the call-out and focus-firing of aircraft, using the same hardware, keeps working effortlessly. Without mashing or holding.

And then I did the check as suggested, and ever since, it no longer even seems to work by mashing or holding, although I didn't try very hard, as it made me feel like an even greater idiot.

(Having made the BIOS of my new gaming system inaccessible by trying to fix some USB issues during failing windows installation didn't help either in that respect m-)

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

OK I'm starting to I think someone's having me on.

I did the preferences.xml delete and tried again. And I couldn't say if the following observation is a new development or if I just didn't notice before but what happens is this:

When I repeatedly mash the F3 key like a complete idiot, or when I desperately hold it for a few seconds, then sometimes - sometimes the ship under the free cursor is actually called out.

By me. As I could see in chat because there is the call-out chat message generated with my username.

(Earlier, I used to think I maybe mistook other peoples' call-out of the same ship for mine when it maybe worked intermittently.)

This of course made me think maybe it's a hardware issue with the F3 key or something, but the call-out and focus-firing of aircraft, using the same hardware, keeps working effortlessly. Without mashing or holding.

And then I did the check as suggested, and ever since, it no longer even seems to work by mashing or holding, although I didn't try very hard, as it made me feel even like an even greater idiot.

(Having made the BIOS of my new gaming system inaccessible by trying to fix some USB issues during failing windows installation didn't help either in that respect m-)

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

They failed to fix it with the latest Update.

I can call Assistance on team mates now once again. But I still can't focus-fire nor call down fire on enemy ships the way I used to.

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

As of yesterday, the problem seems largely gone.

That is to say, before today's update of the update ;-) (what was that about, anyway?) or has there been another patch in between that I just didn't notice?

So it would seem the source of the trouble was completely at their end.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

As of yesterday, the problem seems largely gone.

That is to say, before today's update of the update ;-) (what was that about, anyway?) or has there been another patch in between that I just didn't notice?

So it would seem the source of the trouble was completely at their end.

Seems that it was your system causing problems since the game did not change since the last update.

But glad to hear it works now.

Todays patch was bugfixes only.

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

a) I am deeply convinced it is not my system because that would make it TWO systems with two completely separate installations.

b) Contrary to my first euphoric message, it's NOT fixed. It only works in some ships, not in others.I have a hunch it may be only Premium ships that work. Need to investigate more.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles
58 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

a) I am deeply convinced it is not my system because that would make it TWO systems with two completely separate installations.

b) Contrary to my first euphoric message, it's NOT fixed. It only works in some ships, not in others.I have a hunch it may be only Premium ships that work. Need to investigate more.

Since it works for 99% of all players, just not for you, you might want to really rethink your approach.

Players
39 posts
3,497 battles
On 2/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

So I had this problem.

After the latest update (0.7.1.), I could no longer focus-fire ships, just aircraft; and I could no longer call out ships as targets; just aircraft (except when playing CVs - then I can't even designate planes).

So I talked to a few others in various of the game and port chats, none of whom seemed to be affected by the same issue. Asked around in some of the subforums here, to no avail. So I went to WG customer service.

Which led to a "ticket" being opened.

First response after three days. Apologizing for the delay, they asked me to send them a screenshot of my "bindings", by which it turns out the meant my control key settings. Even though there is no option in these settings to change the target designation away from the left mouse button. The most they could find there I think would have been me re-assigning the free look to something other than CTRL (which I hadn't, and I think I would have noticed if the free look had stopped working.)

Seeing as how far down those settings scroll, I had to make not one, but NINE screenshots to get them all.

Which I dutifully did, and uploaded.

This time, there was an actual response but it didn't make any sense to me. I mean apart from the fact that including one further enquiry by me, this was the third different person that responded to me, all of whose names sounded as fake as those of the co-op game bots and are possibly meant to obscure the fact that I'm actually dealing with some agency in France or Pakistan or Belarus -

apart from that, they wrote

"Unfortunately there is at the moment an issue with this settings. Affected are players who have changed the settings long time ago and could not be assigned to the "Artillery Camera" starting with the Update 0.6.8 from August last year. The Update 0.7.1 did force the reset of the key bindings, so now these players can't get their preferences back through the controls settings.

Our developers are working on the improvement which will allow to use RMB as the "Artillery Camera". It's difficult to say when we will release the improvement. It depends on the WG engineers."

Still, I tried to remain perfectly polite, as far as my Teutonic being allows for that, in all its glorious frankness. Told them I had reset the controls to default, which hadn't changed the problem, which had cropped up immediately after the initial controls reset caused by Update 0.7.1. I told them nobody else seemed to have this problem. And I pointed out that I didn't even have an account in August but only created mine on October 5th, 2017.

Predictably, they now wanted me to do a complete re-install from scratch. [ARGH]

I have super low bandwidth and that would take about one or two days. During those days I wouldn't even be able to watch Youtube or anything because the update would hog most of the bandwidth. OK so it wouldn't exactly hurt me to get out from behind the PC once in a while but still.

Luckily though, I had a full backup from 0.7.0 when everything was still working perfectly fine.

So in order not to waste those days, I tried overwriting the game folder with that backup, then letting it fetch just the latest update.

Which still - predictably - did not solve the problem.

Which I am more convinced than ever has nothing to do with any corrupted files on my system but with a bug in their latest update.

But of course there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that they now will insist I do that full re-install.

<sigh>

(That was the first time I voiced mild displeasure, especially seeing I'm a paying customer and probably sink more dough into this game than the average gamer kids that beat my [edited]black and blue in the game so frequently.)

WoWs_Service 1.jpg

WoWs_Service 2.jpg

Yep, they are very motivated to go out of their way to help and support you, rhetorically,  in typing polite responses. That's exhaustive and  some consolation at least. Lots of Morale support comrade!

[BITAM]
Beta Tester
23 posts
19,771 battles

They made me unistall and reinstall 3 times the games back in the days when they had incompatibility with latest version of windows which of course was their problem.
They had not even test their client to the latest windows version but i lost hours on useless proposals and kept out of the game for more than a week.
Generally the support is usefull only for common problems with premade replies. Anything you throw at them out of the ordinary you are doomed to the frustration feeling all the way until you fix it yourself. It's sad actually.

[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Players
118 posts
7,949 battles

I had it worse...lead to posts blocked...forum rules changed...get blame to breaking rules...and TK other players.

They spend more time hide behind the "internet", any delay and prolong fixing problems, if it is not your fault you as a pay player, still have to pay, ie no refund for your lost time.

Your first reply is a preset reply after the filter(they do ask you what the ticket is about). Now they just add a longer time to auto reply you, because they had too many quick reply and players do noticing.

Yes, the ticket will be closed after the first auto reply which usually after a day or 2, unless it is about making payment, and bank relayed.  By that time they hope you are not bother to reopen the ticket, so for them case closed.

Last time I checked. They make the filter fr the ticket as part blocking to send ticket(WOT). If you have a replay against unfair/rule breaking player/s, good luck try to contact them, 45 mins I just try to by pass the filter with no luck, before I have given up.

So if you ask about WG customer service...all I can say is "What customer service?"  You will not able to find the same on any high street with the same "customer service", because They won't open for long.

Oh, yes, if there are any dispute about payments and the bank is on your side, again good luck with it ,because your account will be locked!!

By the way, because you have copy and paste the ticket on to the forum, you are infarct broken they forum rules.  This topic can be locked at anytime.

Good luck!!

PS... just got a warring (being a troll), somehow I have broke the forum "blank link" rules, for being a troll, I guess all players not happy and speak against WG are trolls.

Edited by Chopchopchop
updated

Players
1,157 posts
9,075 battles

OK what happened was this:

Foolishly, I had tested patch 0.7.2 first with lower-tier DDs and cruisers, some of which didn't even HAVE secondaries so of course you can't focus any ships for  secondaries in them ;-)

Turns out the problem had indeed been fixed.

Until yesterday.

Doing a few matches in my T5 BBs to warm up, with the plan of gradually working my way up to the Missouri through the night.

After the first couple of games, everything being normal, I decided to do the operation of the Week once again, Good Old Killer Whale. And that was when it broke again. On the Bayern, which I hadn't played in a long while and whose Captain I had had in the Scharnhorst since way before this problem first cropped up in 0.7.1. Subsequently, on the Fuso and Warspite as well, and all other ships since. It called out the shore installations instead. In random battles ever since, it calls out nearby airplanes when I point at ships and hit F3. And weirdly, sometimes ships waaaay behind the one I intend to focus-fire get focused for the secondaries. Mostly, though, the game flat-out refuses to focus any ships.

All of that in addition to the fps / memory leak problem... and I just watched the latest Flamu stream which apparently confirmed the main battery dispersion upgrade on the Missouri was broken, probably ADDING 11% of dispersion instead of removing 11% of dispersion....

This kind of atrociously broken update makes me wish very much their marketing people let their techs and developers just do their HOMEWORK.

Instead, they are made to push out new lines of FRENCH ships and flashy April Fool's jokes and what not, and we get broken garbage like this. SO pissed off right now.