Sign in to follow this  
Captain_LOZFFVII

Shimakaze HELP!

12 comments in this topic

Players
1,352 posts
3,583 battles

Hello everyone.

I have been playing since October 2016 and one of my first major 'target' ships in the game was the Shimakaze, alongside HMS Minotaur and USS Gearing.

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I finally have her in my port.

I've taken her out for a few battles and...

Well, hopefully you guys will be able to tell from my stats in Shimakaze - I would upload replays, but I'm currently at work, so I don't have access to my home PC.

I'm at a loss, I'm finding it so difficult to enjoy playing in her - the speed is amazing, but the torpedoes always seem to miss and when you have to wait 2+min for them to reload it's an absolute frustration.

So, I'm wondering what kind of set-up other players have for their Shimakaze and her captain?

I've FXPed past the only-good-for-a-meme 20km torps, and am running the 12km Mod3.

I prefer to use both Priority Target and Preventitive Maintenance as 1-point skills, it's just too useful to know exactly how many ships are aiming for me, so I know when to smoke up and bug out.

I am debating between running Torpedo Acceleration or some other 2-point captain skill like Adrenaline Rush, just to reduce the wait for my torpedoes. Obviously, I'm running Last Stand.

3-pointers I'm using Survivabiltiy Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise and I'm debating between Superintendent or Basic Firing Training, so either more consumable charges or more 'f*ck off Mr CV'.

Obviously Concealment Expert is my go-to 4-pointer. I am aware of the utility of RPF, but I can't equip it without dropping something else that is vital to my personal comfort.

(If anyone has any recommendations for captain skills, please bare in mind I don't remember what most skills are called - the ones above I've guessed at mainly - thus abbreviating them to 'BFT' or 'CE' won't help me personally although I DO know BFT and CE, obviously)

Any advice or strategies to help me enjoy playing one of my favourite historical DDs would be greatly appreciated.:cap_like:

Also, anyone else think she needs even a small torpedo concealment buff - not necessarily the 20km ones, but at least the 12km ones.

Spoiler

It's ironic, I'm normally fairly chicken in this game. Everything up to T9 I would say I prefer playing DDs over Cruisers, even when playing all RN CLs at T8 and T9 I'd pick smoke over radar. But now that I have a minotaur, I actually enjoy running around hunting DDs with my 10km radar. I enjoy it so much I like playing Minotaur over Shimakaze!

I guess the difference is, it feels like I'm actually pulling my own weight running and gunning in Minotaur, while hiding in smoke or constantly missing torpedo launches in Shimakaze just feels like I'm not being helpful.:cap_hmm:

[CATS]
Players
14,758 posts
10,885 battles

You just need more practice on that Tier.

Skills are ok and I also prefer the 12km torps.

For a long time I ran the 8km torps, but the number of radar ships and people knowing how to use it increased in the last 6 months. 12 km gives you more options. Therefore I do not recommend torpedo acceleration and the gain is too small.

Do not be too agressive. Watch the battle. Commit when you know where the enemies are or when you know you can get away.

Be very careful of radar. If you survive longer, you will deal more damage.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,807 posts
6,230 battles
59 minutes ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

Hello everyone.

I have been playing since October 2016 and one of my first major 'target' ships in the game was the Shimakaze, alongside HMS Minotaur and USS Gearing.

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I finally have her in my port.

I've taken her out for a few battles and...

Well, hopefully you guys will be able to tell from my stats in Shimakaze - I would upload replays, but I'm currently at work, so I don't have access to my home PC.

I'm at a loss, I'm finding it so difficult to enjoy playing in her - the speed is amazing, but the torpedoes always seem to miss and when you have to wait 2+min for them to reload it's an absolute frustration.

So, I'm wondering what kind of set-up other players have for their Shimakaze and her captain?

I've FXPed past the only-good-for-a-meme 20km torps, and am running the 12km Mod3.

I prefer to use both Priority Target and Preventitive Maintenance as 1-point skills, it's just too useful to know exactly how many ships are aiming for me, so I know when to smoke up and bug out.

I am debating between running Torpedo Acceleration or some other 2-point captain skill like Adrenaline Rush, just to reduce the wait for my torpedoes. Obviously, I'm running Last Stand.

3-pointers I'm using Survivabiltiy Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise and I'm debating between Superintendent or Basic Firing Training, so either more consumable charges or more 'f*ck off Mr CV'.

Obviously Concealment Expert is my go-to 4-pointer. I am aware of the utility of RPF, but I can't equip it without dropping something else that is vital to my personal comfort.

(If anyone has any recommendations for captain skills, please bare in mind I don't remember what most skills are called - the ones above I've guessed at mainly - thus abbreviating them to 'BFT' or 'CE' won't help me personally although I DO know BFT and CE, obviously)

Any advice or strategies to help me enjoy playing one of my favourite historical DDs would be greatly appreciated.:cap_like:

Also, anyone else think she needs even a small torpedo concealment buff - not necessarily the 20km ones, but at least the 12km ones.

Reveal hidden contents

It's ironic, I'm normally fairly chicken in this game. Everything up to T9 I would say I prefer playing DDs over Cruisers, even when playing all RN CLs at T8 and T9 I'd pick smoke over radar. But now that I have a minotaur, I actually enjoy running around hunting DDs with my 10km radar. I enjoy it so much I like playing Minotaur over Shimakaze!

I guess the difference is, it feels like I'm actually pulling my own weight running and gunning in Minotaur, while hiding in smoke or constantly missing torpedo launches in Shimakaze just feels like I'm not being helpful.:cap_hmm:

No idea, if Preventitive Maintenance  is really worth on Shima. With the Torpedo module, your Torpedo tubes break down even more, and stuff like engine and rudder will break down anyways. But no idea if they maybe are worth. I didn't took it.

That's my build at the moment: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000011011000000000001119

For me, espeically in Clanbattles, is RPF a must have. Shima is super weak against other dds, Gearing does twice the dmg with guns than the Shima. So it's important to know, if you run into a dd, or if the route is free. You don't want to fight with guns against other T10 dd's. If it happens, I always turn, and if I have to shoot, then only with the rear guns, luckily we got two turrets at the rear

3-point skills. Basic Fire Training. I don't know, making crap guns 10% less shitty results in 90% crap guns? :D And SI is not really needed in my Opinion

20 km Torpedos are crap, the only good thing is the range, but the concealment is terrible, also the speed. 12 km are the best

Just like ColonelPete said, you need training, that you get used to it. But that's also the weak point of the Shima, she relays on the torpedos, if they miss, you do "nothing". It's pretty inconsistent. Otherwise you should always have in mind, when your torps miss, what is the enemy doing? He is turning. Maybe showing now the broadside your allies. That missing torps can still have a value makes it less worse

• Cool 1

Players
953 posts
8,508 battles

I have had the Shimakaze for a while now and my results were very poor to start (Too much YOLO) but gradually I am improving, I have increased my % by 3% in 4 weeks.

All a learning curve or from advice of forum members here.

I have run every torpedo available including crazy 6.4k at 81knots and I think Shimakaze play has changed from when I first played her so I now settle with torpedoes set at 12km at 67knots.

One important thing in my opinion is to have concealment expert as this helps reduce detection ranges to 5.9km. When going for torpedoes, unless spam firing smoke, I try to get within 7.5km-8km of the target before firing. Using the grey line indicator I fire 1 concentrated salvo just left, 1 salvo just right and a wide spread salvo dead on the grey line. Usually, I will hit with the torpedoes and it allows for a target course change it will also give you a chance of a double strike as your torpedoes still have 4km to go before they stop. Don't be in a hurry to fire your torpedoes even if target is near, try to think what you would do in their ship if you were in their situation.

Long range torpedoes seldom hit home as they can be detected early especially from 2.5km and avoided.

As ColonelPete has said above, learn which enemy ships carry radar and write it down if necessary besides you. Remember that German ships can use Hydro to see you so be wary if island hopping around them. Although not necessarily a hardy DD she turns fast and when running from detection if you watch the ships firing you can avoid the worst of the incoming shells if not them all. As soon as detection ends just turn and engage again... they don't expect that and I have had many kills that way.

Remember that enemy DD's can have good concealment too so if you go into an area work out beforehand how you can escape. Don't go gun v gun with enemy DD's as Shimakaze does not fire fast enough to match the enemies firepower.

As a DD watch for ships in trouble that could do with a smoke screen, you help them in that way they do look out for you. Keep you AA guns off unless you're in smoke and don't sit still in smoke either. Reverse or move forwards to the boundaries of the smoke to reduce being hit by torpedoes or spam fire... Angle yourself as much as possible so that you are always a small target and after firing torpedoes get away from the area quickly...

I have included 2 screenshots one is of my skills the other are my upgrades.

Hope I have been of some help and welcome to the Shima club.

Screenshot (714).png

Screenshot (715).png

• Cool 1

Players
1,352 posts
3,583 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

You just need more practice on that Tier.

Skills are ok and I also prefer the 12km torps.

[...]

Do not be too agressive. Watch the battle. Commit when you know where the enemies are or when you know you can get away.

Be very careful of radar. If you survive longer, you will deal more damage.

I never like to think of myself as that DD that avoids caps, do you think its worthwhile avoiding the caps entirely, if you're not certain what else is nearby?

2 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

No idea, if Preventitive Maintenance  is really worth on Shima. With the Torpedo module, your Torpedo tubes break down even more, and stuff like engine and rudder will break down anyways. But no idea if they maybe are worth. I didn't took it.

The reason I prefer it was because I kept getting turrets and torpedoes knocked out when under even minor fire. Especially when I was trying the 'fire two, reserve one' torpedo launch tactic, I would always find that it was my reserve launcher that had been kncoked out, just by pure chance!

2 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

That's my build at the moment: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000011011000000000001119

For me, espeically in Clanbattles, is RPF a must have. Shima is super weak against other dds, Gearing does twice the dmg with guns than the Shima. So it's important to know, if you run into a dd, or if the route is free. You don't want to fight with guns against other T10 dd's.[...]

3-point skills. Basic Fire Training. I don't know, making crap guns 10% less shitty results in 90% crap guns? :D And SI is not really needed in my Opinion

I will consider that build, looks like a decent one! We still have free redistributions, right?

Yeah, that's why I was considering RPF. I realised that with +0.4km over Yuugumo, Shimakaze doesn't really sit in a good spot for a T10 DD, detection-wise.

The point of using BFT was simply to increase AA performance, not anything else. I would agree when it comes to Superintendent, three charges of each just feels like it might be enough - at least for personal use, but if I'm also smoking up allies it might not be.

2 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

[...]

When going for torpedoes, unless spam firing smoke, I try to get within 7.5km-8km of the target before firing. Using the grey line indicator I fire 1 concentrated salvo just left, 1 salvo just right and a wide spread salvo dead on the grey line.

[...]

As ColonelPete has said above, learn which enemy ships carry radar and write it down if necessary besides you. Remember that German ships can use Hydro to see you so be wary if island hopping around them.

[...]

I have included 2 screenshots one is of my skills the other are my upgrades.

Hope I have been of some help and welcome to the Shima club.

A lot of what you've said was pretty basic, but it's good to have a refresher to make sure I'm not making any glaring errors.:Smile_Default:

That's an interesting technique, I'll bare it in mind. What do you think of the 'fire two, reserve one' technique? So, you basically act as a Yuugumo with two extra torpedoes most of the time, but then you have one spare launcher for emergencies.

I already have a system for memorising enemy radar ships:

• If it's US - it's 10km
  • If it's Russian - it's 12km
  • If it's a Missouri I'm gonna die:Smile_teethhappy:
  • If it's a Black, Game Over.:fish_boom:

Can anyone tell me what the hydro ranges are on high-tier German BBs and CAs?

Interesting choices for skills, I'm surprised to see expert marksman and advanced firing training on there.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,807 posts
6,230 battles
6 minutes ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I never like to think of myself as that DD that avoids caps, do you think its worthwhile avoiding the caps entirely, if you're not certain what else is nearby?

The reason I prefer it was because I kept getting turrets and torpedoes knocked out when under even minor fire. Especially when I was trying the 'fire two, reserve one' torpedo launch tactic, I would always find that it was my reserve launcher that had been kncoked out, just by pure chance!

I will consider that build, looks like a decent one! We still have free redistributions, right?

Yeah, that's why I was considering RPF. I realised that with +0.4km over Yuugumo, Shimakaze doesn't really sit in a good spot for a T10 DD, detection-wise.

The point of using BFT was simply to increase AA performance, not anything else. I would agree when it comes to Superintendent, three charges of each just feels like it might be enough - at least for personal use, but if I'm also smoking up allies it might not be.

A lot of what you've said was pretty basic, but it's good to have a refresher to make sure I'm not making any glaring errors.:Smile_Default:

That's an interesting technique, I'll bare it in mind. What do you think of the 'fire two, reserve one' technique? So, you basically act as a Yuugumo with two extra torpedoes most of the time, but then you have one spare launcher for emergencies.

• If it's US - it's 10km

Interesting choices for skills, I'm surprised to see expert marksman and advanced firing training on there.

Torp lunchers break in general really quick, guess 30% won't help much? You have also to consider, that the Torp Reload Mod increases the Chance by 50%, that they break, So i would guess, they always break and it's more a question, get they hit or not :D

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,758 posts
10,885 battles
21 minutes ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

Did not say to avoid them.

If you know you can get out safely, start capping.

If you do not know if you can get away, wait and watch. As soon as the enemy starts capping you have nearly a minute to just watch and check out the enemy setup. Then you decide to block or get away.

• Cool 1

Players
1,352 posts
3,583 battles

Whoo!

With a bit of luck and taking a bit of advice form each of you, @ColonelPete, @Pikkozoikum, @Migantium_Mashum, behold my 10th game in Shimakaze!

This is also the game that has unlocked the final task for unlocking Shinonome! Awesome!

I must also give credit where credit is due, my team were really good that time around, always seeming to pick up my slack and finishing off ships I couldn't. Like that Atago.

20180216_231750_PJSD012-Shimakaze-1943_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

Spoiler

shot-18_02.16_23_37.00-0628.thumb.jpg.e997a176f7e5b237dcde07a4cf81ac36.jpg

shot-18_02.16_23_37.03-0954.thumb.jpg.f83a76944932da41e6d5efb4c6c17e51.jpg

shot-18_02.16_23_37.06-0495.thumb.jpg.992706a131d7c35caad564fe2382a397.jpg

shot-18_02.16_23_37.10-0647.thumb.jpg.266438f4fe036952bb0cf9763cb64bdb.jpg

I only wish I could've sunk that Conqueror, too, but at least my teammates finished him promptly.

If you guys still want to see the eight games I had yesterday where I had my pert little butt handed to me, for comparison, just say so and I'll upload those, too.

• Cool 2

Players
953 posts
8,508 battles
19 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

• If it's US - it's 10km

I made many glaring simple errors when first taking my Shimakaze into battle but now not so many.

Much of what I learned came from hard lessons in battle, through the forum from other members and watching people playing Shimakaze on YouTube.

As to torpedoes, the way the games play now it seems harder for a destroyer and so I will fire all three salvoes withdraw, regroup, rearm to attack again from another angle.

If I am hunting a single ships I again use all three salvoes to ensure the kill.

German hydro is usually between 4-6km.

I don't fear Missouri, If detected by Missouri I run, when running I watch her guns and when she fires I immediately change course and I usually don't get hit. I have a few Missouri kills on my belt..

My Skills:

Expert Marksman simply because there are times when you have to go gun V gun with enemy DD's and I am pretty good with my Shima guns now so I want them to track fast.

Advanced fire training simply gives me the range if I want to fire in smoke or assist in burning a ship, it seems Shimakaze HE causes fire at a better % than say my Gearing. I have turned BB's from cap zones simply by burning them with HE fire then if help arrives I withdraw and the extra HP damage from fire can turn a game.

I have used other skill sets but this seems to work for me... It is down to individual play styles.

I seem to get more "thank you's" in game now...:Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,733 posts
6,638 battles

For the skills, I personally use PM, LS, AR, TAE, SE, CE, and RL. I don't think PT is worth it, since most of the time you can pretty much count on everyone aiming at you anyway when you're spotted, and you should remain unspotted for as much as possible. Speccing for torpedoes, survivability, and stealth is generally better than speccing for guns.

If you do go for a gun spec, you should probably focus on it, and make sure it fits with your playstyle. Since your DPS isn't good, focusing on fires is probably better overall, but I've not tried it much since my old pre-nerf gunboat specced Fubuki. Just remember that if you go gunboat, your torpedo damage will go down significantly. People know where you are, and will avoid you more (or go in with the tools against you).

While the guns aren't as crap as people say, they're not your main weapons. They should mainly be used while kiting, finishing off others, or when you've got more allies than enemies. If you see a target turning away from your torpedoes, you can fire at them to make yourself visible and maybe make them turn. It sometimes works, although it may not be worth it.

Learn what angles you should attack ships from. Being right at your own BBs means the enemies will be angled towards you, which isn't good. Get a semi-flanking position in the direction the enemies aren't facing (they're usually facing slightly to the side of your BBs for about a 10°-30° angle), and you'll get a better broadside. Your torpedoes travel at 67 kn, so many ships are around half as fast (BBs are 27-33 kn, CAs 32-36 kn), so the torpedoes will travel approximately twice as long as most targets before they hit. That's good to remember if you don't have an indicator on your target, or if you want to preemtively aim your torps. Ships also slow down when they turn, so take that into account so you don't overshoot as often. If someone's sitting still, get as close as you can, observe them with the torpedo hit indicator all that time to learn their predictability, and nuke them.

The 12 km range is the max, not the recommended range to shoot torpedoes at. Always get as close as you safely can. It's good to aim for 500 m outside detection. Keep track of radars and sonars. Radar ships you can torp at about 8-10 km if they're busy elsewhere and permanently detected anyway, but if they're stealthed up and you're the only one spotting them, keep away. If you know they've used their radar recently, you can make a run as well, but they're often retreating then, which is not good for you. RL is a great tool for keeping undetected, and figure out where unspotted ships are.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,136 posts
11,682 battles

RL/RPF is needed for almost every DD. I even run it my Udaloi.

DD are the most important class and they're the biggest threat to you even if you may not kill them often as a Torp Boat. You'll learn when to avoid caps/areas or have info for your team.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,614 posts
5,167 battles

Nice set of posts guys,thank you - just unlocked the Shima myself (2 battles so far, both crap)and a lot of sailing around trying to be useful while the torps reload...

Sign in to follow this