You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Raskeria_

Friendly fire defensive AA

11 comments in this topic

Players
21 posts
5,205 battles

I was wondering what kind of affect a friendly fire defensive AA would have, I mean the biggest problem CV's have right now is powerful AA and def AA, but if there were consequences to using def AA for both sides then people might be hesitant to use def AA. For example: Torp bombers going in for attack from enemy cv, a bb is its target and a cruiser is sat near it in def AA range, but on their side their CV's bombers and fighters are using the cruisers AA, the fighters intercept the bombers and the cruiser activates def AA. With the current system, def AA is activated and the bombers are panicked and the fighters help destroy them. With the system I am suggesting, the cruiser activates def AA, they begin to shoot down the enemy bombers, but also begin to destroy and panic the ally fighters and bombers. So it would really add quite an interesting system because there are pros and cons with activating def AA with this type of system, for one the friendly CV cant use the cruiser for AA, the ally fighters would have to be hesitant to intercept and the enemy CV's bombers get a nice clean drop off if neither the friendly CV or cruiser make a decision. 

It encourages more communication, the cruiser will have to tell their CV that they are activating their def AA, and the CV will have to talk to its allies during certain times to ensure that they dont overlap. There are pros to this, no more op def AA that just affects enemy aircraft, gives CV's more breathing room  (which they definitely need right now (since AA is op on every ship type except DD's)), also adds a bit more micro management needed, because CV's cant just leave their fighters/bombers over a cruiser and think they are safe  It would make CV's less hesitant to attacking, because these days as soon as a CV sees a cruiser that can slot def AA they almost always move their aircraft out of the area and that area instantly becomes a no fly zone, but with the system I am suggesting the no fly zone goes both ways, if the cruiser doesnt know what they are doing both sides suffer. 

Anyway tell me what you guys think, I am interested to see what people think to my suggestion. I am also a frequent player of every ship type, but I am predominately a BB main, but I am all for making CV's easier and more powerful. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,735 battles
9 minutes ago, _Raskeria_ said:

I was wondering what kind of affect a friendly fire defensive AA would have

tenor.gif?itemid=8095072

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,769 posts
12,134 battles

Interesting suggestion.

But, will I then turn pink for shooting a certain amount of friendly planes?

And, I can already see CV haters turn on def AA when friendly planes are near. Just to annoy the CV players...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,735 battles
8 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

CV haters

Or people who think that their CV doesn't perform as well as he should or didn't protect them from a strike (because that's always possible/wise to do) :Smile_sceptic:

Also

It encourages more communication

Bless him :cap_haloween:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,535 battles

Yeah, I don't think any such friendly AA fire would make any sort of sense for game design unless the entire AA systems get's redesigned from ground up to incorporate such a thing.

CVs already have a hard enough time with defensive AA from enemy ships as it stands, adding friendly fire from allied ships' defensive AA to the mix and what reason would CVs have to even get close to allies if they have to fear for their squadrons just the same?

Nope, nope, nope.

giphy.gif

• Funny 1

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, 159Hunter sagte:

But, will I then turn pink for shooting a certain amount of friendly planes?

That mechanic is already in the game ^^

Though it can only happen in double-CV games and you need a lot of friendly planes.

Vor 2 Stunden, _Raskeria_ sagte:

I was wondering what kind of affect a friendly fire defensive AA would have, I mean the biggest problem CV's have right now is powerful AA and def AA, but if there were consequences to using def AA for both sides then people might be hesitant to use def AA. For example: Torp bombers going in for attack from enemy cv, a bb is its target and a cruiser is sat near it in def AA range, but on their side their CV's bombers and fighters are using the cruisers AA, the fighters intercept the bombers and the cruiser activates def AA. With the current system, def AA is activated and the bombers are panicked and the fighters help destroy them. With the system I am suggesting, the cruiser activates def AA, they begin to shoot down the enemy bombers, but also begin to destroy and panic the ally fighters and bombers. So it would really add quite an interesting system because there are pros and cons with activating def AA with this type of system, for one the friendly CV cant use the cruiser for AA, the ally fighters would have to be hesitant to intercept and the enemy CV's bombers get a nice clean drop off if neither the friendly CV or cruiser make a decision. 

It encourages more communication, the cruiser will have to tell their CV that they are activating their def AA, and the CV will have to talk to its allies during certain times to ensure that they dont overlap. There are pros to this, no more op def AA that just affects enemy aircraft, gives CV's more breathing room  (which they definitely need right now (since AA is op on every ship type except DD's)), also adds a bit more micro management needed, because CV's cant just leave their fighters/bombers over a cruiser and think they are safe  It would make CV's less hesitant to attacking, because these days as soon as a CV sees a cruiser that can slot def AA they almost always move their aircraft out of the area and that area instantly becomes a no fly zone, but with the system I am suggesting the no fly zone goes both ways, if the cruiser doesnt know what they are doing both sides suffer. 

Anyway tell me what you guys think, I am interested to see what people think to my suggestion. I am also a frequent player of every ship type, but I am predominately a BB main, but I am all for making CV's easier and more powerful. 

Currently AA can shoot only one target squad. You can choose the squad by clicking it. So there'd need to be a lot more changes to make your proposal work.

Like making AA hit all targets in range (all getting full damage or damage splitting up?) which would need a complete AA overhaul to get balanced.

And it would make life as CV even harder, which is not what you intended ^^

Players
21 posts
5,205 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

Or people who think that their CV doesn't perform as well as he should or didn't protect them from a strike (because that's always possible/wise to do) :Smile_sceptic:

Also

Bless him :cap_haloween:

Bless him? Are you saying that I dont know that the WoWs player base doesnt communicate, I said encourage, not guarantee it lol. I have been around in-game long enough to know that communication is never guaranteed lol. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,735 battles
6 minutes ago, _Raskeria_ said:

Bless him? Are you saying that I dont know that the WoWs player base doesnt communicate, I said encourage, not guarantee it lol. I have been around in-game long enough to know that communication is never guaranteed lol. 

I guarantee that there'd be more communication - and way more chat bans :cap_popcorn:

[SKRUN]
Players
96 posts
8 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

That mechanic is already in the game ^^

Though it can only happen in double-CV games and you need a lot of friendly planes.

Currently AA can shoot only one target squad. You can choose the squad by clicking it. So there'd need to be a lot more changes to make your proposal work.

Like making AA hit all targets in range (all getting full damage or damage splitting up?) which would need a complete AA overhaul to get balanced.

And it would make life as CV even harder, which is not what you intended ^^

To be fair though, something like that (complete AA overhaul) is needed anyway. The current AA mechanics force a meta where a decent CV-player will group up his planes and execute massive strikes to mitigate the insane AA. A lot of ships can, by using skills and modules, be made perfectly immune to single squad attacks. Heck, even the "ball up and all in" method results in insane losses quite often. 

The issue here is an AA balancing one, not a "CV is OP" one. By grouping up and attacking, the cv focuses all his capabilities in one attack - a process that costs easily 3-4 minutes. The dps any other ship can do in the same time is, for the most part, quite a lot higher, so lowering the damage of a cv further isn't really a viable balancing option unless nerfing them into the ground is the objective. The def fire mechanics are pretty much a "noob disabler" that will wipe the flight deck of inexperienced or unlucky players really fast and creates a massive balancing issue itself. With matchmaking assigning AA ships utterly randomly, there is no way that WG can improve CV play by tweaking the carriers. The issue lies mostly with AA, def fire and matchmaking. DDs need an "evade ability", not a "clear sky" ability, one that is useful when there isn't a cv around. And all cruisers need def fire, but the damage multiplier needs to go away, that would flatten out the insane matchmaking that assigns 5 AA monsters to one side and none to the other - which can lead to CVs overperforming, which actually is nothing else but cruisers underperforming.