British or American battleship

15 comments in this topic

[RATON]
Players
19 posts
1,536 battles

Hello everybody, 

I was wondering if people could shed some light on this:

I read that German battleships are easy to play with but teach bad habits. It requires getting really close where destroyers and torpedoes are a real danger.

For a beginner like me, it seems that British or American battleships are the way to go. Teaching how to play properly while advancing the tiers etc. 

What are the differences between these nations? It seems that the British use HE instead of AP. Both are not fast, both are well armored when angled but weak when not angled. I can't really see the difference between my Bellerophon and South Carolina yet.. 

Thanks in advance

[CATS]
Players
14,746 posts
10,882 battles

British BB teach bad habits too...

Normal BB focus on AP and changing ammo for specific situations. UK BB are very easy to use with HE only.

US BB have strong guns and good AA, very strong AA in high Tier

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles

In todays meta all BB come to a single meta - camping from the edge of the map.

But if you really want to think on 'tactics' and learn, id say go for IJN BB, they are a steady line that would teach you to angle as its the only BB line with a citadel, no AA, which would teach you how to evade CV torps etc. US BB up to tier 8 are slow, so if you are in a bad spawn youd see your team dead before you get to the objective. Tier 8+ are different game, all good ships. RN - its shoot HE at anything on any tier, no citadel so you can pretty much show broadside no angling (to a reasonable margin ofc). KM - havent played them, but have a hard to get citdel at closer ranges and are brawlers, mosltly secondary build, but if going into def are pretty tanky.

All in all it goes down to personal preffrences, try out all lines atleast up to tier 6-7, and see what you like better, tho in all honesty going past tier 8 is irrelevant and better stay at 7 tops.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,258 posts
6,795 battles

I'd say Japanese BBs are great for learning, US BBs are nice but stay at the dreadnought age a little too long. RN are easy to be ok in, but they'd promote many bad habits denying you the chance to actually do good

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,908 posts
5,023 battles

As others said, British with their HE promote unique playstyle that would be a bad habit in any other line, so I'd stay away from them. Germans don't promote bad play by brawling, as long as you don't try to YOLO rush. Any BB will at some point have to be in torpedo range, if the BB driver isn't some potato camping in the back (at which point, consider Soviet or French cruisers instead), for that Germans even got the best tools at higher tiers. Still, Germans are not good for learning, because they forgive too much and their accuracy promotes to just fire in the general direction of the enemy without proper aim, two things you should learn in any BB line (even Germans, just that here the difference between good and bad play is the smallest).

USN BB and IJN BB are best, as they are the most well-rounded and conventional ones. Pick whichever you like better, they are both solid, though I'd give IJN a slight edge in versatility, as they are generally faster (easier to reposition), have more armour in non-critical areas, but less over the citadel, which itself is large (it's more resistant to small caliber guns and can get more lolbounces, but shots in the side will usually get you wrecked and/or sunk far more often than in any other line) and appreciable accuracy at any range (USN is more accurate at shorter ranges). Last point does NOT mean you should use these ships as long-range snipers. You should notice already with Myogi that this line does not have the DPM to be meaningful at max range and that range is more just an extra option, not the standard approach.

Differences between T3 BBs are not really many. Nassau is likely best, Kawachi worst, but the real lines start at T4, when ships actually start to become more diverse and not steaming piles of frustration. I feel like T3 is just there to teach BB captains how to become patient, accept RNG and getting set on fire and that they should not panic, but just roll with it and bet on their ability to insta-delete cruisers when RNG allows for it on the nth salvo.

• Cool 2

[RATON]
Players
19 posts
1,536 battles

Thanks for the explanations. I'll try the US battleships and forget Bellerophon for now. I don't really like Japanese ships I think. Don't know why though, but it's just a feeling. I like my american destroyers much more than the japanese or pan-asian ones as well. 

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles

IJN - Speed, Weeabo, Range, Guns are usually of a Higher caliber from tier 7 (dosent make much of a difference though)

The IJN BBs are great starter ships tbf. They greet you with a rather sturdy Kawachi, good speed, guns, pretty much on par with all BBs at Tier 3. You cant really make notable differences at this tier since almost ALL BBs are same (the Dreadnought era) But at Tier 5, you have the Kongou class Fast Battleship. In top config, she has 30knts max speed. Far faster than her US/British Counterparts. Her guns are a tad inaccurate at times but have a MASSIVE range, she also can get in and out of a situation quick, but lacks armour protection and is prone to being really hurt if showing broadside.

USN - Slow and Steady, Gun performance is average, Deecent Range, AA :cap_rambo:

The USN BBs are also the proper definition of a Battleship. Slow, Have good gun performance and have USABLE AA, compared to the IJN, the USN BBs are much more armoured, but are slower and have much better AA. Tier 3 South Carolina is actually good, (Nothing worth mentioning). Tier 5, you are greeted by the New York, a rather sturdy BB and the first BB ingame to have that Turret Layout (UK, France, Germans were a later addition) Her max speed is around the 22knts line, guns arent all too accurate and reload slow, but she gives you more time to make a decision as well, shes slow.

RN - Average speed, Fine AA, Guns are-, Just WHY WOULD YOU EVE-....

Like how all the others have said, SPAM HE, BE A BRAINDEAD MORON. Just, please dont play them (Unless youre gonna stop at KGV for the History)

Spoiler

image.jpeg.5d1839b14ff0618973945dbea36bafc1.jpeg RN BBs in a Picture....:cap_old:

KM - Decent speed, Inaccurate guns, Brawlers, AA is strong with the perfect build

The KM BBs are worth a mention. These BBs have a very Brawling playstyle, their Secondaries are VERY good, guns are inaccurate and they have a Turtleback armour scheme. Basically, KM BBs have a chance to get citadelled at Long range but are safe at close range, their armour is good enough for brawling but will not stop EVERY shell. One thing worth mentioning is that these BBs have an average reload of 25-28s. Their guns reload at 25s for most of the line. Much faster than the Average 30s reload you have on ALL other lines. If you do grind this line, Bismarck is where you should stop. Shes a beautiful ship, good for keeps. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BIF]
Players
56 posts
1,972 battles
On 2018. 02. 15. at 1:14 PM, Voncarsteine said:

Hello everybody, 

I was wondering if people could shed some light on this:

I read that German battleships are easy to play with but teach bad habits. It requires getting really close where destroyers and torpedoes are a real danger.

For a beginner like me, it seems that British or American battleships are the way to go. Teaching how to play properly while advancing the tiers etc. 

What are the differences between these nations? It seems that the British use HE instead of AP. Both are not fast, both are well armored when angled but weak when not angled. I can't really see the difference between my Bellerophon and South Carolina yet.. 

Thanks in advance

You have invitation code from someone ? You can get a free premium USA BB when you fight your first battle in T6. ( At least, this was so not long ago .)

• Cool 1

[RATON]
Players
19 posts
1,536 battles
On 16-2-2018 at 12:43 PM, aidenthedestroyer said:

IJN - Speed, Weeabo, Range, Guns are usually of a Higher caliber from tier 7 (dosent make much of a difference though)

The IJN BBs are great starter ships tbf. They greet you with a rather sturdy Kawachi, good speed, guns, pretty much on par with all BBs at Tier 3. You cant really make notable differences at this tier since almost ALL BBs are same (the Dreadnought era) But at Tier 5, you have the Kongou class Fast Battleship. In top config, she has 30knts max speed. Far faster than her US/British Counterparts. Her guns are a tad inaccurate at times but have a MASSIVE range, she also can get in and out of a situation quick, but lacks armour protection and is prone to being really hurt if showing broadside.

USN - Slow and Steady, Gun performance is average, Deecent Range, AA :cap_rambo:

The USN BBs are also the proper definition of a Battleship. Slow, Have good gun performance and have USABLE AA, compared to the IJN, the USN BBs are much more armoured, but are slower and have much better AA. Tier 3 South Carolina is actually good, (Nothing worth mentioning). Tier 5, you are greeted by the New York, a rather sturdy BB and the first BB ingame to have that Turret Layout (UK, France, Germans were a later addition) Her max speed is around the 22knts line, guns arent all too accurate and reload slow, but she gives you more time to make a decision as well, shes slow.

RN - Average speed, Fine AA, Guns are-, Just WHY WOULD YOU EVE-....

Like how all the others have said, SPAM HE, BE A BRAINDEAD MORON. Just, please dont play them (Unless youre gonna stop at KGV for the History)

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.5d1839b14ff0618973945dbea36bafc1.jpeg RN BBs in a Picture....:cap_old:

KM - Decent speed, Inaccurate guns, Brawlers, AA is strong with the perfect build

The KM BBs are worth a mention. These BBs have a very Brawling playstyle, their Secondaries are VERY good, guns are inaccurate and they have a Turtleback armour scheme. Basically, KM BBs have a chance to get citadelled at Long range but are safe at close range, their armour is good enough for brawling but will not stop EVERY shell. One thing worth mentioning is that these BBs have an average reload of 25-28s. Their guns reload at 25s for most of the line. Much faster than the Average 30s reload you have on ALL other lines. If you do grind this line, Bismarck is where you should stop. Shes a beautiful ship, good for keeps. 

Thanks for your reply. I have been playing a bit since your reply and feel I do much better with my Orion than other battleships. I don't just use HE though. I fire HE from max range until 10 km. Inside 10 km I use AP against anything but DD's and (German) BB's. I believe german battleships won't be penned by AP from close range so I use HE there. Angled battleships from other nations get a salvo in the superstructure and broadsided get a salvo on the citadel. 

Could you please elaborate on why not to play RN battleships? 

Alpha Tester
2,261 posts
18,014 battles
On 15/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

I'd say Japanese BBs are great for learning, US BBs are nice but stay at the dreadnought age a little too long. RN are easy to be ok in, but they'd promote many bad habits denying you the chance to actually do good

i think the same

The best for learning is the japanese

The best for play is USA

The easy, british BBs.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
6 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

Could you please elaborate on why not to play RN battleships?

Royal Navy Battleships arent urr Battleships much per se, At Tier 8+ they have insane Concealment ratings which is half the time better than Heavy Cruisers, this ofcourse provided you run "Concealment Expert" on your commander. The next thing is that British Battleships do not promote Smart Gameplay, It encourages you to show broadside and not eat heavy damage like other Battleships do. I dont know how to put it properly, but this is the Tier 10 which you would end up getting. The ship reflects the rest of the line too mind you, Its only that the Heal available on the ships is strong only from Tier 8.

[RATON]
Players
19 posts
1,536 battles
17 hours ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

Royal Navy Battleships arent urr Battleships much per se, At Tier 8+ they have insane Concealment ratings which is half the time better than Heavy Cruisers, this ofcourse provided you run "Concealment Expert" on your commander. The next thing is that British Battleships do not promote Smart Gameplay, It encourages you to show broadside and not eat heavy damage like other Battleships do. I dont know how to put it properly, but this is the Tier 10 which you would end up getting. The ship reflects the rest of the line too mind you, Its only that the Heal available on the ships is strong only from Tier 8.

Wow thanks for this. 

If I understand you correctly, the ships themselves are fine and will get damage done. However, they work best from range spamming HE. 

I do push with my Orion but it’s definately not as hard to crack as wyoming or kaiser is. Accuracy is great though. I want to play a real battleship. And from your post and the video I gather the british BBs are indeed not true BBs. More like armored heavy cruisers. Hanging back like in the video is NOT my preferred style so that means the brits are out. 

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
6 hours ago, Voncarsteine said:

Wow thanks for this. 

If I understand you correctly, the ships themselves are fine and will get damage done. However, they work best from range spamming HE. 

I do push with my Orion but it’s definately not as hard to crack as wyoming or kaiser is. Accuracy is great though. I want to play a real battleship. And from your post and the video I gather the british BBs are indeed not true BBs. More like armored heavy cruisers. Hanging back like in the video is NOT my preferred style so that means the brits are out. 

Its no Problem, But If I were to suggest a good Line for your playstyle, It might as well be the Germans or the French. I take it that you like to move in with the team and fight like a true Battleship, so ultimately the best line for you in that case would be the Germans, French Battleships are fine but, well the Germans are much better. Tier 7 onwards, German Battleships have VERY strong Secondaries and with a perfect commander build, your max range on Secondary guns can push around 10km, which is very high for Secondaries. But you also have to note that at range, German Battleships arent the most Accurate and on close range encounters, you need to pay attention to your surroundings as one small mistake can lead to you being below the seas. But I trust thatt you will learn how to play properly fairly quickly, Good Luck!

[LV-JS]
Players
228 posts
3,224 battles
On 2/15/2018 at 3:57 PM, Azalgor said:

In todays meta all BB come to a single meta - camping from the edge of the map.

But if you really want to think on 'tactics' and learn, id say go for IJN BB, they are a steady line that would teach you to angle as its the only BB line with a citadel, no AA, which would teach you how to evade CV torps etc. US BB up to tier 8 are slow, so if you are in a bad spawn youd see your team dead before you get to the objective. Tier 8+ are different game, all good ships. RN - its shoot HE at anything on any tier, no citadel so you can pretty much show broadside no angling (to a reasonable margin ofc). KM - havent played them, but have a hard to get citdel at closer ranges and are brawlers, mosltly secondary build, but if going into def are pretty tanky.

All in all it goes down to personal preffrences, try out all lines atleast up to tier 6-7, and see what you like better, tho in all honesty going past tier 8 is irrelevant and better stay at 7 tops.

What are you smoking? IJN only ones with ciatadels??? Bismarck is easy to citadel, NC and up are citadel magnets when show side...even at angle ive manage to double citadel NC at around 18km. Harder to citadel or they have alot smaller cits = all low tier BBs, higher tiers from 7 and up are easy to citadel when you get to shoot in right spot.  Some BBs are OP when angled right, but overall all if shows side, will get a citadel hit or atleast 13k+ penetrating damage.

Players
46 posts
2,970 battles

American and Japanese lines are prime lines. Japanese ships more aggressive but less new player friendly. IJN Tier 4 BB Myogi... is really pain for new player.

I picked up USN cruiser line because I loved St.Louis. But Chester like Louis, Phoenix like Omaha, Cleveland something totally different, Pensacola something totally different than Cleveland (or anything below the line). So you may like 1 ship in the line doesn't mean you will like them all. I.e. in USN cruiser line there are totally different ships that played very differently. Except they all good at AA everything else is different.

Try USN, I think they are the best to learn the game.

Sign in to follow this