You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Seepheerd

Segal's departing

90 comments in this topic

[REKTA]
Beta Tester
355 posts
6,534 battles

Oops, not departing, will be removed.

But John Doe? Looks someone is very angry... 

[ONE2]
Players
2,405 posts
14,381 battles

Really? John Doe? I can see they really put some thought into this one. :cap_like:

So it's true then? He can't cook? :cap_hmm:

Not really sad tho, could never understand his mumbling anyways. Perhaps they'll re-do the voiceovers with someone, who actually speaks English? :Smile_Default:

Players
1,648 posts
12,129 battles

Yeah, I was wondering... Is that name a super creative way of retaliation or just a super uncreative filler? Can we get Hans Wurst or Max Mustermann as German captain?

@RAHJAILARI

We regret to inform you that our collaboration with Steven Seagal has come to an end. For that reason, all references to, and visuals of, Steven will be removed from the game. With the release of Update 0.7.2, we'll replace Steven Seagal with Commander John Doe, change the Commander's portrait, remove the relevant animation from   IX Missouri, and apply the standard U.S. voiceover to the new Commander. John Doe will retain the same enhanced skills ("Expert Loader" and "Expert Marksman"), and keep all skill points earned with Steven Seagal.

Yeah, he can't cook. And he can't even carry a pot around or throw darts either.

[REKTA]
Beta Tester
355 posts
6,534 battles
1 minute ago, BambaZonke said:

Sounds like lawyers and money became involved.

My first thought was the same.

[ONE2]
Players
2,405 posts
14,381 battles
4 minutes ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

@RAHJAILARI

Yeah, he can't cook. And he can't even carry a pot around or throw darts either.

Djääm, that's harsh dude...:Smile_sad::Smile_teethhappy:

[TK1]
WoWs Wiki Team
535 posts
8,503 battles
3 minutes ago, BambaZonke said:

Sounds like lawyers and money became involved.

Very likely - therefore we cannot judge about the decision itself (imho), but "John Doe" as replacement does not make sense for me. e.g. Germans do use "Max Mustermann" for non-identified-people and I am sure other nations/languages will have different ones, too.

Fortunately I am not hit bit this change - I started after Steven was achievable and Missouri is mine :-)

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

John Doe? The amount of creativity is mindblowing!

Sad, really sad that the USN didn't had any note worthy Navy officers in WWII... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[ONE2]
Players
2,405 posts
14,381 battles
1 minute ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Sad, really sad that the USN didn't had any note worthy Navy officers in WWII... :Smile_hiding:

Yeah... My feelings exactly. How on earth did they manage to win the thing tho? Sheer dumb luck then, obviously. :Smile_smile:

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles
4 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

Very likely - therefore we cannot judge about the decision itself (imho), but "John Doe" as replacement does not make sense for me. e.g. Germans do use "Max Mustermann" for non-identified-people and I am sure other nations/languages will have different ones, too.

Fortunately I am not hit bit this change - I started after Steven was achievable and Missouri is mine :-)

Actually, John Doe is the exact US equivalent of the German Max Mustermann.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_placeholder_names_by_language

[DREAD]
Players
5,154 posts
5,081 battles
6 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Bart Mancuso?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[TK1]
WoWs Wiki Team
535 posts
8,503 battles
9 minutes ago, krazypenguin said:

Actually, John Doe is the exact US equivalent of the German Max Mustermann.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_placeholder_names_by_language

I know, but I am sure a lot of people "do not get the joke"... At least I think it's a joke or sarcasm.

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
9 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeah... My feelings exactly. How on earth did they manage to win the thing tho? Sheer dumb luck then, obviously. :Smile_smile:

Throw enough $hit at the wall and it might collapse due to the stench.

5 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Bart Mancuso?

A possibility.

But there are one or two historical officers, but considering it's a trouble to get permissions and stuff, a bit more creativity wouldn't have hurt.

General Motas anyone?

[ONE2]
Players
2,405 posts
14,381 battles
10 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

General Motas anyone?

Wasn't he Romanian? Ehhh, but yeah - I see your point. :Smile-_tongue:

On the other hand, those annoying American copyright rules do have an expiry date so John Paul Jones or Pocahontas might already be available. :Smile_great:

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles

I won't miss the voiceover, and that's a fact. Commander Segal sounds like he's either drunk or on some heavy medication.

I will miss the funny little animation sequence on the  deck of the Missouri, however. It would be a nice touch to give Captain John Doe an animation of his own, don't you think?

• Cool 1

Players
24 posts
4,973 battles

Warner possibly owns the rights to the film and therefore any images or depictions thereof. So they might have woken up to WG using the character... still Ill miss his mug and brilliant voice acting  lol

[SCRUB]
Players
1,988 posts
54 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I'm surprised they didn't go with Steve Seegull to just irritate that bumptious... khem... (wink, wink) Russian. :Smile_veryhappy:

My suggestion is to go with Cpt. Reality Check. (instant Winner by affinity)*

*pun intended

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,827 battles

Hmm would the Missouri retirement too, simultaneous with Seagal retirement, be linked with the movie story and rights and lawyers and some other events happened recently ?

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,405 posts
14,381 battles
Just now, Skyllon said:

My suggestion is to go with Cpt. Reality Check. (instant Winner by affinity)*

WG associate with reality? :Smile_ohmy:WOAH! :Smile_honoring:

• Funny 1

[REKTA]
Beta Tester
355 posts
6,534 battles
5 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

Hmm would the Missouri retirement too, simultaneous with Seagal retirement, be linked with the movie story and rights and lawyers and some other events happened recently ?

Yep, Missouri is over...

[REKTA]
Beta Tester
355 posts
6,534 battles
44 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

I know, but I am sure a lot of people "do not get the joke"... At least I think it's a joke or sarcasm.

My vote: sarcasm

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,827 battles
6 minutes ago, Seepheerd said:

Yep, Missouri is over...

We knew it is over since some time but only now we know that Seagal is over too. They will both be pulled out at the same moment.

So, I am asking if the Missouri retirement was in fact linked with Seagal affair instead of "because not to be a competitor in the T9 premium niche for Musashi" - the official WG reason.

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
2 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

We knew it is over since some time but only now we know that Seagal is over too. They will both be pulled out at the same moment.

So, I am asking if the Missouri retirement was in fact linked with Seagal affair instead of "because not to be a competitor in the T9 premium niche for Musashi" - the official WG reason.

Doubtful, as Mo is not a fictional ship.

[REKTA]
Beta Tester
355 posts
6,534 battles
4 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

That's the point.