Captain_Mogsey

Really need some help here

27 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
3,681 battles

Hi all,

Just started playing this game on a regular basis after pretty much leaving the debacle that has become World of Tanks and I really need some help here.
My main problem is the inability to get a win in a match despite seeming to be playing okay myself. I have read countless guides on Ship layouts, commander abilities and the use of camo, equipment and signals etc, plus I dont charge in like a lunatic and try to play a supporting role in my British Tier III and IV battleships.

Now then what I have noticed happening is that the opposing teams seem to organise well and capture objectives etc whilst the teams I am playing with seem to have a "All about me" attitude to matches.

So this begs the question, am I penalised for putting on lots of decent equipment and flags etc?
Does the MM notice my added bonuses and put me in teams of a lower standard as a form of penalty?
I seem to get a lot of games where I may get 2-3 kills but the team around me melt away, or the opposing team are capturing points and none of ours are anywhere to prevent this.
I'm trying not to make this sound like a rant, but at 40% WR and that's only because I did well in Tier I-II, I seem to have hit a point where I barely get a win in 4-5 games now and I don't feel like I'm playing badly.
After 15k games in world of tanks and wanting to enjoy myself in this game, I feel like it's just going to be another one of those poor MM games and this has made me question whether I wish to continue.

Could someone shed some light on my questions please.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,193 posts
5,528 battles

MM doesn't punish you for using flags.

You mist keep in mind that T3&4 are populated witj lots of beginners who don't really understand fully the different subtilities of the game.

On the other hand, you are playing battleship !! It's the most tanky class of ships and it has the biggest alpha. You are not a supporting ship, you should lead the attack (I don't mean that you must do this in frontline though).

Players
8 posts
3,681 battles

28 minutes ago, NoirLotus said:

You mist keep in mind that T3&4 are populated witj lots of beginners who don't really understand fully the different subtilities of the game.

That's would be fair enough if I didn't seem to come across teams where the opposite was more the reality. 
I see a lot of structure coming from opposing sides that I could only dream of in most the teams I have played with.
This then brings me to another question, is there a seal clubber mentality in this game where high tier players come into the lower tiers with high ranking commanders and in teams etc?
Do these players then get the "Reward" of playing much lesser WR players as a loyalty style of bonus.
Believe me I have seen some great teamwork from a lot of opposing teams in these lower tiers.

Privateer
291 posts
5,611 battles

try to wait 1 or 2 seconds before you fire your salvo. If you are good enough in aiming (if it is possible after 150 battles), delete broadsided cruisers first. If you stay angled, you can survive many salvos from BBs, but fires and DPM from cruisers is dangerous at these tiers. Dont show broadside and 1/2 or 3/4 speed with some stops and backward sailings (doesnt mean hiding behind islands) works fine. IMO full salvo is better than sequential fire :Smile_playing:

sealclubbing: yeah it happens but i think it is not so often how it may look. these lower tiers good players play as fun-games or because they got some low tier premiums (or exping new tree). Rewards from these games are not so good to waste time there for more than one or two games. In fact many of good players use freeXPs to skip low tier ships when starting new line. Almost all you see is begginers against much worse begginers :Smile_Default:

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,193 posts
5,528 battles

Yes there are sealclubbers in game, and as global WR is often seen as one of the major indicator of your efficiency, some players happily use good ships at lower tier (Umikaze, Konig Albert, Nassau, Saint-Louis, Bogatyr, Clemson) to farm their WR.

WG tries to fight this but there is only a protection for players under 10 games. 

Players
8 posts
3,681 battles

Hey those are the 10 games I actually won in :D

Thanks for your replies, I will try and find some more guides etc (blimey I have read enough already)
I will see where it goes for a month and then decide whether it's a game to get into like I did WOT

So far I feel it's about a 5.5/10 for me atm

Privateer
291 posts
5,611 battles

maybe try to find Clan via Clan Zone threads. Begginers which read game mechanics, guides and use brain in chat or when playing are always welcome. And live help from experienced is better than billion guides. 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,395 posts
8,787 battles

BTW OP: keep asking questions on here too - there are lots of experienced players who are more than happy to help new arrivals (they were, and still are, invaluable to me)...

• Cool 2

Players
8 posts
3,681 battles
28 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

BTW OP: keep asking questions on here too - there are lots of experienced players who are more than happy to help new arrivals (they were, and still are, invaluable to me)...

Thanks, the answers here have helped to me think that the game isn't as cynical as I first thought so If I can think of any then I will be more than happy to ask.
Btw the 5.5/10 I gave was purely on my New Player Experience and not how I feel the game could be.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,395 posts
8,787 battles
1 hour ago, Hellmut34 said:

Thanks, the answers here have helped to me think that the game isn't as cynical as I first thought so If I can think of any then I will be more than happy to ask.
Btw the 5.5/10 I gave was purely on my New Player Experience and not how I feel the game could be.

I'm another WOT veteran (mainly NA server); WOWS seems to be rather more friendly, by and large - fewer 'insufficiently priapic' individuals overcompensating!

That said, it helps to phrase questions in terms of "This just happened to me, and I don't understand - please help!", rather than "This just happened to me - the game is clearly broken - WG should change it now!" - the latter approach tends to generate a not entirely sympathetic reaction...!

The other tip I might suggest is to have an occasional read when the experienced players are arguing about discussing some apparently obscure aspect of the game/tactics or other - although these people tend to be operating at the unicum level, these conversations can often yield good information about general concepts that might not be covered very well elsewhere (e.g. a smoke v TRB discussion I saw the other week came in really useful when tooling up my recent T7 IJN DD acquisition)...

• Cool 1

Players
7 posts
547 battles

hey im an ex WoTer myself but i found the game great till tier 5, i still enjoy it, but getting an unreal amount of losses now. I shall just keep trying to improve myself.

Players
89 posts
485 battles

As a new player you are protected in the game until you reach rank 10. It means that you wil be facing only new players until rank 11. After hitting rank 11 you wil start facing also experienced players who play on low tiers. The ships you play may also influence you results. When playing BBs on low tiers its very important to have a good positioning since the BBs are very slow and the range of the guns is not that great. Sometimes if you go the wrong way in the BB it may take you several min until you engage in the battle at witch point the game is already lost. So general rule fo BB play is try to stay in a postion where you can support 2 caps and never go alone. Watch for your flank and take notice of enemy DDs position. DDs generally have a huge influence on the game at low tiers. If you play a DD remember its a 20 min game, not 2 min. If you are contesting a cap look at where you friendly ships are. Can the support you? Learn to use your concealment. There is no shame in losing a cap, than come back and recap it. As a cruiser support you DDs as much as you can and don't show broadside to enemy BBs. Watch some top players stream on Twitch like Flamu and Flambass.

• Cool 1

Players
89 posts
485 battles

Oh and please make the mini map bigger by using + and - key. On the minimap you can chose to show the ship names on the map. Do that. This wil give you information aout whitch enemy ships are where. Very usefull tool when you learn the weaknesses and strengths of ships. Also learn to use the terrain as your advantage. If you play a DD always have a plan how to efficiently leave the cap if detected. When standing in the cap in smoke with DD try not stay broadsided or you will easily eat torpedoes. As a BB look on the minimap and ask your self how will you support your team if you go in a given direction? On some maps there are huge islands, if you go there you will be cut of the game easily for several minutes.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,395 posts
8,787 battles
6 hours ago, FigaroAdelo said:

hey im an ex WoTer myself but i found the game great till tier 5, i still enjoy it, but getting an unreal amount of losses now. I shall just keep trying to improve myself.

Tier 5 is the point where you start to get +2 MM (as I imagine you know), and you don't get -2 MM at the same time, as everything up to T4 is protected (+1 MM at worst); this makes the first few T5 battles a rather nasty shock for a lot of people.

I found that a few battles in PvE (Co-op mode) helped a lot in terms of adjusting to the scarier opposition, although there is a limit to how closely bots can mimic the behaviour of real people on the opposing team.

As you say, practice is the best remedy, along with things like watching YouTube videos from better players (and staying in the battle after you get sunk, to watch what your surviving team-mates do - click between ships; some of them will be be object lessons in what not to do, but the competent ones will provide valuable pointers)...

[BS4]
Players
1,102 posts
6,203 battles
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, Hellmut34 said:

Hi all,

Just started playing this game on a regular basis after pretty much leaving the debacle that has become World of Tanks and I really need some help here.
My main problem is the inability to get a win in a match despite seeming to be playing okay myself. I have read countless guides on Ship layouts, commander abilities and the use of camo, equipment and signals etc, plus I dont charge in like a lunatic and try to play a supporting role in my British Tier III and IV battleships.

Now then what I have noticed happening is that the opposing teams seem to organise well and capture objectives etc whilst the teams I am playing with seem to have a "All about me" attitude to matches.

So this begs the question, am I penalised for putting on lots of decent equipment and flags etc?
Does the MM notice my added bonuses and put me in teams of a lower standard as a form of penalty?
I seem to get a lot of games where I may get 2-3 kills but the team around me melt away, or the opposing team are capturing points and none of ours are anywhere to prevent this.
I'm trying not to make this sound like a rant, but at 40% WR and that's only because I did well in Tier I-II, I seem to have hit a point where I barely get a win in 4-5 games now and I don't feel like I'm playing badly.
After 15k games in world of tanks and wanting to enjoy myself in this game, I feel like it's just going to be another one of those poor MM games and this has made me question whether I wish to continue.

Also OP don't forget to communicate on the chat as much as possible. (prob why the other team is so organised.)

If you don't already know chat/orders and commands press B in game and you will get a circle of F key orders to use. At lower tears if they are all wondering around not Knowing what to do a bit of communication can make the world of difference. "Please push to a"  or "defend base" (f3 when cursor over base in map screen.) Cap c etc. Highlight areas of importance by double clicking on map ref squares in game to draw attention to threats. Any of These can sometimes unify a team of players who otherwise as you said are wondering around with the ME mentality and can make the world of difference.:cap_like:

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles
On 14-2-2018 at 9:02 AM, Hellmut34 said:

Hi all,

Brit BB are not the best line to start with because they are very non-typical . They are strong ships but you don't really learn the right playstyle and you can be lured into thinking you are doing fine with a few kills and damage while you're actually just useless farming fire damage (which can be repaired so is the lowest impact damage you can do). This seems to be your issue

In general you need to follow these rules in a BB:

- look at the mini map between every shot (make it large and enable ship names + last seen position) to understand where to battle is flowing

- plan ahead by keeping one route open for escape (an island you can get behind or a turn you can make to kite). Most beginners mess up simply because they get caught in the open with no way out. BB are slow. 

- either angle away or move as part of a push with teammates, depending on what your team is doing. Do not rush alone without your team but never ever let them rush alone without you. You need to push and tank with them.

Players
7 posts
547 battles
On 23/02/2018 at 1:58 PM, Verblonde said:

Tier 5 is the point where you start to get +2 MM (as I imagine you know), and you don't get -2 MM at the same time, as everything up to T4 is protected (+1 MM at worst); this makes the first few T5 battles a rather nasty shock for a lot of people.

I found that a few battles in PvE (Co-op mode) helped a lot in terms of adjusting to the scarier opposition, although there is a limit to how closely bots can mimic the behaviour of real people on the opposing team.

As you say, practice is the best remedy, along with things like watching YouTube videos from better players (and staying in the battle after you get sunk, to watch what your surviving team-mates do - click between ships; some of them will be be object lessons in what not to do, but the competent ones will provide valuable pointers)...

Thanks, yes videos do help and i always watch the whole battle. Only problem with that is i only have 3 or 4 battles an hour lol.

Im slowly gettig used to my opponents actually using tactics, ive been teaming up with a mate and fun is still being had.

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
3,681 battles

Would just like to thank everyone for the great replies.
Things are starting to look up now and I seem to win nearly as many as I lose + my overall situational awareness is improving.

Thanks again

:)

• Cool 1

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

This game is, contrary to some opinions out there, quite balanced (fun is another topic). In a way that there are few ways someone can singlehandedly be "op" or turn the tide of a game in a single ship (unless playing CVs).

So because it is so (almost rigidly) balanced, you really need to find what ships, what playstyles you enjoy, so you can get a good grasp of a ship when playing it. Otherwise you'll not be able to leverage your ship in a win, much less prevent everything from simply collapsing in a lose.

Ships vary quite a bit depending on tier range. Even for the same tech tree, just like WoT. But they are generally related. Eventually you'll master all lines and know what to expect from different ships at different tier ranges both teammates and the enemy.

You need to find a way to enjoy the game as WG intended it. WG has their strengths in game design, and their faults. If you try to seek what does not exist in this game, you will not enjoy it. But know what to look for in this type of game, know how to game this type of game, play along to the logics of the designers, and you will be able to adapt to it pretty well, and play it smoothly, and enjoy it for what it is and its intended parts. The game has its kinds of fun and method of thought to it. You need to be open to it, or what little experience you have turns into all the more unhealthy prejudice which slows down your adapting to the rest of the game. Worrying too much leads to panic leads to asking all the wrong questions, and not even enjoying the process while at it.

Just my 2 cents.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
On 23-2-2018 at 2:58 PM, Verblonde said:

[...]

[...]

Well, the other reason why Co-op is really handy is to get to know the ship. Get comfortable, find the quircks, feel the maneuverability and other stuff in a not so difficult match. They helped me out a LOT trying to play the Pepsicola (Pensacola) pre-pre-buff. And I managed to make her work even though I was really inexperienced.

[T-F-H]
Players
66 posts
10,807 battles
On 14/02/2018 at 9:17 AM, NoirLotus said:

MM doesn't punish you for using flags.

1. I believe it does. Seen too many coincidences to believe otherwise.

2. So are T 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10

Match making in this game is an issue (queue trolls). No matter how many forum trolls say otherwise it is. You need to be prepared for that as you grind up through the tiers. It gets much worse at T5 because thats when you get up tiered with T7 ships and the guys on your team still dont know what the hell they are doing (Queue trolls).

3. WoWs forum full of trolls.

4. Not played WoT myself but I understand most of the community here came from there so you should fit right in and may even bump into some people you recognise.

Good luck and calm seas. :cap_like:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,711 posts
6,813 battles
2 minutes ago, Rooke_1704 said:

1. I believe it does. Seen too many coincidences to believe otherwise.

2. So are T 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10

Match making in this game is an issue (queue trolls). No matter how many forum trolls say otherwise it is. You need to be prepared for that as you grind up through the tiers. It gets much worse at T5 because thats when you get up tiered with T7 ships and the guys on your team still dont know what the hell they are doing (Queue trolls).

3. WoWs forum full of trolls.

4. Not played WoT myself but I understand most of the community here came from there so you should fit right in and may even bump into some people you recognise.

Good luck and calm seas. :cap_like:

1. It really doesn't. MM can not possibly take into account the amount of flag combinations players pick and anything that points elsewhere is just confirmation bias.

2. Yup, the quality of play arguably gets a bit better at higher tiers but there are still a vast majority of players who have no clue what they are doing. And I had no idea not knowing what you are doing made you into a troll.

3. Fair point (still better than WoT forums).

4. Yeah most of us that have hanged around for a while come from WoT, so you are bound to run into a familiar name at some point.

[T-F-H]
Players
66 posts
10,807 battles
1 minute ago, ollonborre said:

1. It really doesn't. MM can not possibly take into account the amount of flag combinations players pick and anything that points elsewhere is just confirmation bias.

2. Yup, the quality of play arguably gets a bit better at higher tiers but there are still a vast majority of players who have no clue what they are doing. And I had no idea not knowing what you are doing made you into a troll.

Well we know that MM is affected by your win rating over the last X amount of matches so with that in mind is it really so hard to believe that other factors like flags don't affect MM? There are so many in game variables that WG keep quiet about and we only found out about because of some very eagle eyed and intuitive players and community contributors. It is my belief and opinion that at some point my suspicion on this will be confirmed. Until then though I will defer that there is no evidence to support my suspicion.

Think you got me wrong on that second point. I wasn't saying that not knowing what you are doing makes you a troll. I was pre-empting a counter strike by forum trolls.. you know the kind that use WR in every single argument. Also for the record I'm not knocking T5 players who still don't know what they're doing. My son plays at T6 and... well lets just say I've given up playing in a division with him :Smile_facepalm:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,711 posts
6,813 battles
4 minutes ago, Rooke_1704 said:

Well we know that MM is affected by your win rating over the last X amount of matches so with that in mind is it really so hard to believe that other factors like flags don't affect MM? There are so many in game variables that WG keep quiet about and we only found out about because of some very eagle eyed and intuitive players and community contributors. It is my belief and opinion that at some point my suspicion on this will be confirmed. Until then though I will defer that there is no evidence to support my suspicion.

The thing is that MM can not even handle the distribution of radar ships and DD's in domination games, so asking it to also take into account winrate (it is called random battles for a reason, not Ranked), flags, loosing streaks and whatnot is laughable.