Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wilkatis_LV

Stop smoking up BBs!

54 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,402 battles

Hey DD players, here's one thing I thought would have been obvious to you - stop smoking up allied BBs

Was it a good idea like half-a-year ago? Yeah, it was. Is it a good idea now? No, it's actually the opposite.

Unless you plan to be spotting ahead of that smokescreen - that BB won't see anything, you make him blind as a bat. You know who isn't going to blind? The enemy team, because for 20s after firing the guns BB WILL BE SEEN DESPITE YOUR SMOKE.

All you do is make your BB blind and give enemies the chance to rush it and torp it from close range. Unless you are trying to lose - stop it already! :fish_palm:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 4

Players
1,565 posts
10,241 battles

?

Any person with greater iq than 2 will already know that.

Those under this magical number probably do not visit forum anyways.

Conclussion: topic useless :D

• Cool 3

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,402 battles
3 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

?

The amount of DDs smoking you up just because you aren't camping the border behind spawn speaks of the opposite

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CAIN]
Players
3,301 posts
12,475 battles
5 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

?

I'd agree, but then i met a BB division who denmands to be smoked up 14km away from the enemy BBs.

And if we consider the average IQ of the WoWS playerbase, then i'd go even so far to claim that this thread is not only useful, but a necessary read. ^^

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[N0RSE]
Players
1,736 posts
21 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Hey DD players, here's one thing I thought would have been obvious to you - stop smoking up allied BBs

Was it a good idea like half-a-year ago? Yeah, it was. Is it a good idea now? No, it's actually the opposite.

Unless you plan to be spotting ahead of that smokescreen - that BB won't see anything, you make him blind as a bat. You know who isn't going to blind? The enemy team, because for 20s after firing the guns BB WILL BE SEEN DESPITE YOUR SMOKE.

All you do is make your BB blind and give enemies the chance to rush it and torp it from close range. Unless you are trying to lose - stop it already! :fish_palm:

Ok. So the next potato BB that overextend and ask me for smoke i will just tell to fu#k off and refer him to this topic then? Ok. More smokes for me :cap_cool:

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,126 battles

It still helps, because not every BB is running a concealment build and having a balancedtm 12km concealment range.
Being able to disappear for 10 seconds in between salvo, or only reappearing when you want gives you flexibility.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,786 battles

I don't think the kind of people who still think it is a good tactic to smoke up battleships (or other ships with large smoke firing detectabilities for that matter) are the ones who'd read the forum and thus your complaint here.

[OGHF]
Players
898 posts
14,523 battles

I smoke BB’s that are being focused allowing them to escape, even do it with my Leander etc. 

common sense rules in these cases, you need to watch your mini map and chat.

just a common sense foot note, just remind them to stop firing or you have just wasted a smoke.

• Cool 5

Players
986 posts
5,083 battles

What is worse is dds smoking up themselves when there is no reason for it. And I blame Jingles for that. Enemy dd spotted -> instant smoke and no chance for the team to help the dd...  

[UNICS]
Players
3,675 posts
14,458 battles

Yea, it's not as effective as before, but still possible to save ships with smoke. Depends on how aware the bb player is though.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,334 posts
3,695 battles
49 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

The amount of DDs smoking you up just because you aren't camping the border behind spawn speaks of the opposite

You seriously believe that the DD's not already aware of that are going to be found on this forum?

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts

Had a game about a week ago with an Iowa who was pushing (I know shock!) and kept asking for smoke, he didn't know about the changes to the smoke mechanic and actually listened when it was explained to him and reacted politely. Pretty exceptional player.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles
40 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

It still helps, because not every BB is running a concealment build and having a balancedtm 12km concealment range.
Being able to disappear for 10 seconds in between salvo, or only reappearing when you want gives you flexibility.

its also good if said BB is getting focused. Putting down a smoke allows him to either back up or re-position. 

[OGHF]
Players
898 posts
14,523 battles
24 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

What is worse is dds smoking up themselves when there is no reason for it. And I blame Jingles for that. Enemy dd spotted -> instant smoke and no chance for the team to help the dd...  

When I am in my Leander, Fiji etc, I always try and join a DD when he caps, but Indo insist that he MUST  stay stealth as I will smoke up when he has spotted an enemy DD/CA that is just about to spot me, so that Incan deal with said enemy while he torps the cap, a winning combination unless the DD smokes up and leaves us both blind :Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,384 battles
1 hour ago, Boris_MNE said:

?

The topic is to gerneral anyhow if i had 2 fires aplyed to me shortly after a damcon i woulld love to get smoked for example but yea most BBs wouldt be able not to click their MG every 30 to 20 sek so its preobably wasted.....

[4_0_4]
Players
6,014 posts
12,306 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

How about: BB stop firing when a DD smokes you up to heal/retreat from an area?

Usually the BBob just continues to unleash his guns, despite being below 4k HP and broadside on to multiple enemies?

But no, just keep on shooting in case of a DD making the attempt to save your a**.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,402 battles

Ok, lets sum up ALL of your comments:

It's good to smoke up a BB when it's focused and needs to retreat

Interesting how specific your description of the situation is. Helping the BB to retreat - obviously a smart idea, but lets think how often that's the case compared to Edited becuase "my be guut teammatu, my skoeru up ze BehBeh!"

Blinding your teammate while leaving him exposed to all enemies is probably one of the most idiotic things DD players are doing right now

And no, I'm not expecting them to read this, as even i they did - chances are tEdited to understand :fish_palm: But hey, we all can hope for that miracle...

Edited by Asklepi0s
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles
44 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Yep, that's only one of my biggest bug-bears in this game.

"Listen, you muppet, I followed your sorry arse to the cap in my super squishy cruiser so that I could help you with the enemy DD. Now you are in smoke, I am blind and the enemy DD is lighting me up for the rest of his team. And if that isn't bad enough you are going to die to torps in 4...3...2...1...BOOM!"

• Cool 4

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,402 battles
5 minutes ago, Zemeritt said:

How about: BB stop firing when a DD smokes you up to heal/retreat from an area?

Usually the BBob just continues to unleash his guns, despite being below 4k HP and broadside on to multiple enemies?

But no, just keep on shooting in case of a DD making the attempt to save your a**.

And if I'm not being focused down / retreating? What if I'm exactly where I want to be except for that moron killing my ability to see while I'm still visible becuase I fired just before he smoked me?

[LEGIO]
Players
604 posts
8,640 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I use to give smoke to battleships that need smoke to get away. Give them a chance to heal and escape. They usually thank me for that since very few destroyers give smoke to them. 

[4_0_4]
Players
6,014 posts
12,306 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And if I'm not being focused down / retreating? What if I'm exactly where I want to be except for that moron killing my ability to see while I'm still visible becuase I fired just before he smoked me?

Just drive out of it? IF you`re still spotted in the smoke there has been less then 20 seconds since you last fired your guns, which means they`re still reloading anyways? So you would still get shot at despite being unable to retaliate?

(Unless you`re firing your turrents in single fire style)

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Players
604 posts
8,640 battles

Hey Battleship players. Stop whine about just everyhting and start help your destroyers instead of camp at the map edge and spam he. Start to play as a TEAM instead of being egoistic. Start appreciate your little friends instead. They are after all those who spot for camping coward battlewagons. Follow them. Give them some kind of support instead of just whin and complain. Do YOUR part. 

• Cool 3

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles

Hmm, pretty devoid of nuance. Smoked up a BB yesterday giving him a chance to heal after he overextended. He healed up and proceeded to thereafter devestate the two BBs that had him pinned down moments before. Smoked up another BB today that made the "turn of death" for some reason, saving his a:::. However you do have a point, you gotta keep on spotting so you do not blind the rest of the team - and the BB gotta know not to fire other wise its a waste. So its not so black and white as to never smoke up a BB or a cruiser for that matter - or even another DD that is in troble.

• Cool 5

Sign in to follow this