Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RedAnark

Urgent! need a suggestion on Captan Skills, Mogami and Bismark

30 comments in this topic

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts

Hi there,

because currently there is the opportunity to change Captain Skills for 0 doubloons, I'd like to know your opinion on 4 points skills that I have to use on Mogami and Bismark.

For Mogami I red that could be interesting to set Inertia Fuse Skill as I use mainly the 155mm setup. If not how to use those 4 points I have (I've already Concealment opt)?

For Bismarck I've always used the Manual Fire Secondary with those 4 as my setup include Upgrade for Secondaries, but I've also red that could be interesting to use those 4 points for Inertia Fuse also, because it looks that HE secondaries make more damage with it. Is it worth it or is just some speculation not important and useful as Manual fire Secondaries? I play quite aggressively with my beloved Bismarck.

Thank you for your point of views!

4,350 posts
8,837 battles

MOGAMI: 155s + IFHE is a great mix! So going for IFHE and (!) Concealment Expert is a great choice!

BISMARCK: Her secondaries have a "built in" IFHE so no need for IFHE. 

Greetings.

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
2,787 posts
11,013 battles

Mogami: yeah, use IFHE as the ship becomes a monster with it.

Bismarck: manual AA or the fire prevention perk

I'd go manual AA to pi$$ CV players off. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
5,469 posts
9,924 battles

I had quite some success with this build

Unbenannt.jpg

A more "reasonable" approach would be to drop EM and DE and pick FP and a t1 skill of your choice.

• Cool 1

Players
5,217 posts
6,350 battles
10 minutes ago, aboomination said:

I had quite some success with this build

Unbenannt.jpg

A more "reasonable" approach would be to drop EM and DE and pick FP and a t1 skill of your choice.

I exchanged BFT and DE for BoS and SI. Secondaries still scare enemies, they still do some ok damage, but the ship is kind of more resilient. And I feel like Bismarck is the last German where you can get away without FP.

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts
34 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

MOGAMI: 155s + IFHE is a great mix! So going for IFHE and (!) Concealment Expert is a great choice!

BISMARCK: Her secondaries have a "built in" IFHE so no need for IFHE. 

Greetings.

Great! Thank you very much, to all!

Interesting options for Bismarck when I'll have the 19 points skills! By now I keep Manual Fire Secondaries as I had!

As in the Reoprt today the most played ship in the Ranks!

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles

Mogami with 155s:

Priority Target - Self explanatory really.

Expert Marksman - Faster turning turrets help you keep your guns on target while you maneuver, handy when kiting or rushing a DD while evading torps.

Adrenaline Rush - Since the Mogami eats citadels all day long, may as well get something in return right?

Survivability Expert - Helps you survive those damn ciradels and synergises well with Adrenaline Rush.

Demolition Expert - To offset the fire chance reduction from IFHE. 

IFHE - A must have skill on the 155s.

Concealment Expert - Useful for getting in range without getting annihilated by the enemy BBs at range, positioning yourself for an attack or retreating out of a crappy situation.

Mogami with the 203s (which i prefer because that is what the ship actually had during WW2):

Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft - Gives you two planes instead of one, very useful for spotting DDs, torps etc.

Expert Marksman - Again faster turning turrets.

Adrenaline Rush - Again for when that enemy BB inevitably lands that angled citadel hit.

Survivability Expert - More hp.

Demolition Expert - With the 203, DE and the flags you can get 20% fire chance. 

Basics of Survivability - Anything that helps the Mogami survive is useful considering how stupidly fragile she is.

Concealment Expert - Pretty much a must have skill on any IJN Cruiser.

On the 203 Mogami i pretty much use a similar captain as on my Atago, except with Basics of Survivability instead of Superintendent. On the Atago i would use Superintendent for that one extra repair. 

• Cool 1

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts
11 minutes ago, SovietFury43 said:

Mogami with 155s:

Expert Marksman - Faster turning turrets help you keep your guns on target while you maneuver, handy when kiting or rushing a DD while evading torps.

Adrenaline Rush - Since the Mogami eats citadels all day long, may as well get something in return right?

Survivability Expert - Helps you survive those damn ciradels and synergises well with Adrenaline Rush.

Demolition Expert - To offset the fire chance reduction from IFHE. 

IFHE - A must have skill on the 155s.

Concealment Expert - Useful for getting in range without getting annihilated by the enemy BBs at range, positioning yourself for an attack or retreating out of a crappy situation.

Mogami with the 203s (which i prefer because that is what the ship actually had during WW2):

Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft - Gives you two planes instead of one, very useful for spotting DDs, torps etc.

Expert Marksman - Again faster turning turrets.

Adrenaline Rush - Again for when that enemy BB inevitably lands that angled citadel hit.

Survivability Expert - More hp.

Demolition Expert - With the 203, DE and the flags you can get 20% fire chance. 

Basics of Survivability - Anything that helps the Mogami survive is useful considering how stupidly fragile she is.

Concealment Expert - Pretty much a must have skill on any IJN Cruiser.

On the 203 Mogami i pretty much use a similar captain as on my Atago, except with Basics of Survivability instead of Superintendent. On the Atago i would use Superintendent for that one extra repair. 

Useful details, thank you!

But I forgot last 4 points skills to set, is about Konig. I did have them set as AFT, advanced firing training, but is it worth or again Inertia Fuse is better as first 4 points to set. The others are the usual, PT, ET and Superintendent.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,485 posts
11,598 battles

Bismarck, either go tank build or full manliness build (BFT + AFT + Man Secondaries + Man AA :Smile_trollface:) - works great on Shinyhorse or Derpitz as well!

• Cool 1

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts

need also advice for Konig BB!

I did have the 4 ppints set as AFT, advanced firing training, but is it worth or again Inertia Fuse is better?

The others are the usual, PT, ET and Superintendent.

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

depends if you plan on leaving that captain on mogami/bismarck or moving it upwards to zao/kurfurst.

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
9 minutes ago, robihr said:

depends if you plan on leaving that captain on mogami/bismarck or moving it upwards to zao/kurfurst.

If he plans on moving him up to the Ibuki and Zao then i would recommend the 203mm build but with Superintendent instead of Basics of Survivability, for extra repairs. IFHE is not going to be useful on the Ibuki and Zao because 203mm guns get little benefit from the extra penetration. 

Also playing the Mogami with 203mm guns will help him get used to the 203mm gun ballistics.

I can't say for the Konig and Bismarck since i don't have them. 

Players
5,217 posts
6,350 battles
1 hour ago, RedAnark said:

I did have the 4 ppints set as AFT, advanced firing training, but is it worth or again Inertia Fuse is better?

If solely König, then PT, EM, SI and then Concealment. BBs below lvl 7 do not benefit a great lot from Manual Secondaries and the short range makes secondary builds pretty crap. You're far better off to just go for the typical survivability build (PT, EM, SI, CE, FP, BoS or Vigilance, AR). Only when this captain goes on to Gneisenau or beyond is AFT worth a thing over CE and FP.

Edit: IFHE likely never is better than AFT on a secondary build. IFHE secondaries are for the silly folks who want to get AFT, ManSec and IFHE as 4 pt skills, which only is beneficial for Gneisenau and Großer Kurfürst, who get 128 mm guns that then can pen 32 mm of bow and stern armour.

• Cool 1

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
18 minutes ago, SovietFury43 said:

If he plans on moving him up to the Ibuki and Zao then i would recommend the 203mm build but with Superintendent instead of Basics of Survivability, for extra repairs. IFHE is not going to be useful on the Ibuki and Zao because 203mm guns get little benefit from the extra penetration. 

Also playing the Mogami with 203mm guns will help him get used to the 203mm gun ballistics.

I can't say for the Konig and Bismarck since i don't have them. 

whatever he chooses i wouldnt recommend SE in either build... those extra 2800hp is just 2 bb overpens and it isnt even 1 bb pen...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
20 minutes ago, robihr said:

whatever he chooses i wouldnt recommend SE in either build... those extra 2800hp is just 2 bb overpens and it isnt even 1 bb pen...

In an IJN Cruiser you should not really be taking many hits from a BB. And BBs are certainly not the only ships you are going to be fighting.

Other then that, there is nothing else useful to take. Vigilance is useless and you already have two planes spotting torps, BFT is useless on IJN Cruisers, TRE is to situational. The only other viable choice is Basics of Survivability, but SE synergises better with Adrenaline Rush.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,196 posts
8,329 battles
On 2/13/2018 at 7:47 PM, RedAnark said:

Ohhh .. the Konig. Loved that ship.

I doubt that you will ever have 19 pt captain in Konig ... but still here you go:

- Priority target (because no plane + you already take module that protect your guns, so no need for preventive maintenance)

- Expert Marksman (turrets are slow)

- Adrenaline Rush (shoot faster when low HP)

- Superintendent (extra heal)

- Manual AA (because C hull actually gives you some decent AA)

Thats 12 pts ... more than enough to make the Konig work. Some would take CE over MAA, but with all the planes flying around in T5 ... good luck with staying hidden :)

[ONE2]
Players
2,782 posts
16,028 battles

Mogami, my current No1 crush - But oh well, it depends entirely on how you intend to use her. Mine is 155mm armed, just because of many guns" :cap_haloween:

So I conffed her as a DD hunter (19pts cap):

1) Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft (extra fighter to spot torps, when Hydro on cooldown and some buff to measly AA).

2) Expert Marksman + Adrenaline Rush (because you WILL take heavy damage in almost every game, so why not get something out of it?).

3) Demolition Expert + Vigilance (fire chance to compensate for IFHE + hunting DD is a dangerous life, there will be torps).

4) IFHE + Concealment Expert (increases your damage potential and CE allows you to shoot your torps from stealth - practise needed tho).

For upgrades I also took Hydro instead of Defensive AA.

Have never tried the 203mm guns on her but there are many here who did, they can advise on that better. Good Hunting Lad, she is a lovely ship. :cap_cool:

But of course, keep in mind. Mogami wears a built-in "Priority Target"-camo and a super-powered citadel-magnet on her back so whenever you fire even one shot everyone in the enemy team will drop everything they are doing and focus on you. Always start your evasive maneuver even before firing your guns and learn to weave like h*ell. Use the rudder shift module to give you better maneuverability. Also keep in mind, despite of whatever the game says - YOU HAVE NO ARMOR! Do not even think about bow-tanking or angling they will get you killed. Evasion is the best way to go, you are a Guerilla Fighter now, always keep that in mind.:cap_win:

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,782 posts
16,028 battles
14 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

In an IJN Cruiser you should not really be taking many hits from a BB. And BBs are certainly not the only ships you are going to be fighting.

Other then that, there is nothing else useful to take. Vigilance is useless and you already have two planes spotting torps, BFT is useless on IJN Cruisers, TRE is to situational. The only other viable choice is Basics of Survivability, but SE synergises better with Adrenaline Rush.

HHEEEY! :Smile_amazed: I have an anti-DD build for my Mogami and Vigilance has in fact saved my bacon many times (combined with the rudder shift module), gives just enough time to dodge the incoming torps and the extra range to your Hydro's torp detection range does not hurt either. Have only been torp'd once in over 400 games with her since I took the skill (and that was just due to sheer stupidity on my part). Highly recommended, but then again, depends a lot what you're gonna do with the ship tho. If you plan to stay far away and have the 203mm build, then it will prolly be pointless. :Smile_smile:

And before anyone points it out, yes I admit that this close-range 155mm-DDhunt-thingy means living dangerously and dying horribly quite often.:Smile_izmena:

[HOO]
Players
460 posts
6,753 battles

Flamu made a good video a while ago that I find helpful when trying to decide if IFHE is worth it or not for a particular ship.   I recommend watching this just to learn the mechanics:

https://youtu.be/szbpDXAzUJI

• Cool 1

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts
On 2/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, RAHJAILARI said:

But of course, keep in mind. Mogami wears a built-in "Priority Target"-camo and a super-powered citadel-magnet on her back so whenever you fire even one shot everyone in the enemy team will drop everything they are doing and focus on you. Always start your evasive maneuver even before firing your guns and learn to weave like h*ell. Use the rudder shift module to give you better maneuverability. Also keep in mind, despite of whatever the game says - YOU HAVE NO ARMOR! Do not even think about bow-tanking or angling they will get you killed. Evasion is the best way to go, you are a Guerilla Fighter now, always keep that in mind.:cap_win:

AH, ah, ah.. great advice!  Txs! Ok Next 3 I'll put on V!

On 2/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, nambr9 said:

Thats 12 pts ... more than enough to make the Konig work. Some would take CE over MAA, but with all the planes flying around in T5 ... good luck with staying hidden :)

Great So next 2 pts I'll go for some Adrenaline!

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts

Mogami Capt may go to Ibuki, don't know yet, as Mogami with that setup is fun. I use sometimes 203, but 15s reload is an eternity with other CAs... Ibuky seems an upgrade of Mogami, while I've played Zao in PTs and it' worth it. But it's a long way even if I'm almost ready to resaerch Ibuki, but coins...

-Then Bismarck I'll keep like that with MFSecondaries as last 4 with AFT already set. I'm not an HE fan with bbs.This Capt is going to stay for a long time as the one is going to move eventually will be the  Der Groebe one. So I'll save all of your suggestions and pov to the time I'll have more skills to set!

-I've got Van der Groebe since few weeks, but just got the bulk one, so it's not that fun as Bismarck by now. Its Capt has the Bismarck setup so the 4 that I still need to place, should be Manual Fire, or Concealment (already has AFT) or even FP as some suggested?

[SCRUB]
Players
5,469 posts
9,924 battles
48 minutes ago, RedAnark said:

I'm not an HE fan with bbs.

DE is also buffing the fire chance on the secondaries. But still, it's a very offensive build.

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
4 hours ago, RedAnark said:

Mogami Capt may go to Ibuki, don't know yet, as Mogami with that setup is fun. I use sometimes 203, but 15s reload is an eternity with other CAs... Ibuky seems an upgrade of Mogami, while I've played Zao in PTs and it' worth it. But it's a long way even if I'm almost ready to resaerch Ibuki, but coins...

-Then Bismarck I'll keep like that with MFSecondaries as last 4 with AFT already set. I'm not an HE fan with bbs.This Capt is going to stay for a long time as the one is going to move eventually will be the  Der Groebe one. So I'll save all of your suggestions and pov to the time I'll have more skills to set!

-I've got Van der Groebe since few weeks, but just got the bulk one, so it's not that fun as Bismarck by now. Its Capt has the Bismarck setup so the 4 that I still need to place, should be Manual Fire, or Concealment (already has AFT) or even FP as some suggested?

Well, quite honestly the Ibuki is crap. But then the Mogami is even more crap, so saying that the Ibuki is an upgrade to the Mogami is not really saying much. 

And yes i said it, the Mogami is a crappy ship, and i realize that i am inviting a flood of people to post how the Mogami has amazing DPS with IFHE and the 155s, and how they can do well with it, bla, bla, bla. And they are right, but the real problem is that other then that (captain skill dependent) DPS, the Mogami is just plain worse at everything compared to the Atago and even the Myoko, a tier lower ship. 

It has absolutely no armor and no repair. 

It eats citadels from every angle all day long. 

Its torpedo angles are horrible (only useful when retreating). 

Its turrets are painfully slow. 

The guns have pathetic range (actually less then the same 203mm guns on the Myoko, no idea how that works). 

It has no AA to speak off, though granted, the Atago and Myoko are not exactly known for their AA either, but the Mogami is quite a bit larger and so you would expect more firepower in at least some respect. 

It has a humongous citadel that spans most of the ship. 

Even though it is possible to have good results with the Mogami, its just overall an inferior ship compared to other IJN Cruisers in its tier range. 

With that said, i strongly encourage anyone who plans to tech the Ibuki and eventually the Zao to use the 203s on the Mogami (despite the 155s being better overall). Not just because of the captain skills, but to avoid the huge difference in behavior between the 155mm guns and the 203mm guns that you will be using on the Ibuki and Zao.

Edit: Also if you are looking for an IJN Heavy Cruiser to keep and play, and don't want to or are currently unable to buy the Atago, the Myoko is a much better choice then the Mogami. The Mogami will only frustrate you with its tendency to evaporate as soon as any BB looks at it from any angle.

[TRRC]
Players
572 posts
On 2/15/2018 at 6:50 AM, SovietFury43 said:

Edit: Also if you are looking for an IJN Heavy Cruiser to keep and play, and don't want to or are currently unable to buy the Atago, the Myoko is a much better choice then the Mogami. The Mogami will only frustrate you with its tendency to evaporate as soon as any BB looks at it from any angle.

I agree about Mogami armor and torp angle. But I can't have an Atago. I'll keep the Myoko and Mogami then. As I've already build the French ones to same Tiers, and I'm moving in with German and Soviet ones.

Sign in to follow this