• She's bad!
    • She's meh!
    • I do not care / I haven't played her

35 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,323 posts
2,517 battles

Hello, fellow destroyer captains!

I've played a few matches in the new premium French destroyer, the Aigle, and I'm curious about how you all feel about her. I am trying to determine what role she should really play in a typical battle.

• Early cap contender? A big no. She has too large a detection radius for that, and she's also too sluggish to hold her own in a close range knife fight.
  • Destroyer hunter? Again, no, for much the same reasons given above. Her slow turret traverse and horrible firing angles make her even less appealing in this role.
  • Torpedo boat? I don't think so; she's neither stealthy nor - unless speed boosted - fast enough to shine in that role.
  • Long range HE kiter? No, not really. Her shell velocity is way too slow for her to be very good at this. I've had trouble landing shots on battleships at ranges above 10 km; the amount of lead you have to give is frankly ridiculous. And the horrible firing angles cripple you even here, since you have to sail more or less broadside on in order to bring more than two of your guns to bear on a target.
  • Medium range capital ship harasser? Good luck with that, since with the size and sluggishness of the Aigle, she's a fairly easy target for return fire from any cruiser or battleship that happens to take an interest. Especially when sailing broadside on, on account of the horrible firing angles etc etc.
  • Damage sponge? I'm actually tempted to suggest this, since her huge HP pool (for a DD) seems to be her main selling point. But seriously, if you want to play a punching bag, you wouldn't get into a destroyer in the first place.

Now I know that I haven't played nearly enough battles in the Aigle to make a definitive judgement on her. This is just a first impression. But it's a rather strong and undiluted first impression, I must say.

But enough about my opinions, here - how do you feel about the Aigle? Is there any way to make this very nice-looking mini-baguette earn her money's worth?

Edited: I just voted myself, designating the Aigle as a 'bad ship'. Her least redeeming side? The broadside! Did I mention her horrible firing angles? :fish_palm:

[-RDE-]
Players
156 posts
15,531 battles

i have to agree, i can't believe how bad this ship is tbh. 6.8km detection torp range of only 7km  good luck not getting detected there. and like you say the gunrotation sucks. i'm 1/2 dead before my guns even lock on a target. and once targeted you're prety much dead if the teams any good.. i feel quite let down with this dd.  i got the galant way back and that's tier6 too 6km detection 8km torps so WTH!..lol.

AND on a side note can you please put these boats in the tech tree screen so we don't have to scroll through them?

Players
3,772 posts
7,464 battles

Haven't played it myself, but going off stats and what I've read the only thing that is going to work is camping in smoke or behind islands.

Supertester
2,374 posts
9,765 battles
1 minute ago, Capra76 said:

Haven't played it myself, but going off stats and what I've read the only thing that is going to work is camping in smoke or behind islands.

Or playing mini-Khaba.

Players
3,772 posts
7,464 battles
3 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

Or playing mini-Khaba.

With 700 m/s guns and turrets set in concrete?

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,720 battles

I must say that if played conservatively the Aigle really shines. I just had a game where I was able to turn the certain loss into a victory by not being aggressive and waiting for the enemy to overextend.

The torps are great for ambushes, when the enemy is rounding a corner or island. They hit very hard and most cruisers will be able to take only two, and if damaged only one.

The guns are tricky, they do good work when knife fighting at close ranges with DDs, but they also easily citadel cruisers showing too much side at under 10km. Against BBs they are great only for setting fires, but with a 9% fire chance out of the box you can't complain.

The only weakness I noticed is that the Aigle is incredibly weak against CVs, the overall clumsiness of the ship makes dodging torps and bombers very hard.

In my not humble opinion Aigle really shines when fitted out with a dedicated captain with 15p skills, because having EM and SE makes all the difference in battle.

[PC]
Players
103 posts
16,460 battles

IFHE fire chance seems to be bugged.

Rules for IFHE fire chance states that for calibers up to 139 mm the fire chance drops by  1%, above 139 mm by 3%.

On the Aigle the standard fire chance of 9% drops down to 6% when you use a IFHE-skilled captain.

It should just drop by 1%.

Players
3,772 posts
7,464 battles
On 20/02/2018 at 3:15 PM, Reckie said:

IFHE fire chance seems to be bugged.

Rules for IFHE fire chance states that for calibers up to 139 mm the fire chance drops by  1%, above 139 mm by 3%.

On the Aigle the standard fire chance of 9% drops down to 6% when you use a IFHE-skilled captain.

It should just drop by 1%.

Known problem, WG are working on it.

Beta Tester
2,323 posts
2,517 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎15 at 4:42 PM, Aragathor said:

In my not humble opinion Aigle really shines when fitted out with a dedicated captain with 15p skills, because having EM and SE makes all the difference in battle.

Having the 'Expert Marksman' skill makes less of a difference than I had expected, since it doesn't help to alleviate the problem with horrible firing angles. At least that's my experience so far.

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,720 battles
6 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Having the 'Expert Marksman' skill makes less of a difference than you might think, since it doesn't help to alleviate the problem with horrible firing angles. At least that's my experience so far.

Oh I'm not thinking, that's what's my experience tells me. I have found out that being able to keep the guns on target while changing course is of great value in the Aigle. The ability to juke and fire is priceless.

Beta Tester
2,323 posts
2,517 battles
15 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Oh I'm not thinking, that's what's my experience tells me. I have found out that being able to keep the guns on target while changing course is of great value in the Aigle. The ability to juke and fire is priceless.

Well, you're sure right about that!

The problem is that even if you no longer outturn your turrets quite that badly, you still can't keep more than two at a time on target unless you give it more or less your entire broadside. And that's something you don't want to do in this hippostroyer.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you are getting the Aigle to work out for you! :Smile_honoring:

Also, I've amended my post no. 9.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,721 posts
8,716 battles

I end up playing her more like a CL with very good concealment than as a DD.

Her gun traverse and gun angles ensures that you can't kite away or rush smoke so you end up being a force multiplier instead.

Cap where there is no opposition by all means, but going into questionable un-scouted caps is a bad idea.

She absolutely melts other DDs if she is allowed to maintain fire for just a short while. Ambush them where they have no fire support and you should be able to delete them before any torpedoes are even close to reaching you.

When you're not deleting lone DDs she plays a lot like an Atlanta. Carefully moving from cover to cover to stop and pelt bigger ships with HE and fire. The low velocity shells makes it so that virtually any island can be used as a fire base. If there is no solid cover available you always have smoke.

• Cool 2

Players
3,135 posts
14,150 battles

I'm not a DD player (only 307 battles in them at time of writing) so I won't blame you for taking my comments with a large grain of salt. However, sometimes the views of an outsider CAN be useful.

I have been playing various destroyers as part of the mission to get 25 torpedo hits. I struggled badly but always felt that the fault was 100% mine, and that the ships I played were all decent ones (Maass, Akatsuki, Okhotnik, Kamikaze R) ........ with one notable exception.  And that exception is the "Aigle". Previous posts have explained it's "issues".

I played the Aigle as part of the missions to get a container each day simply for playing in it. After I have finished all the missions that need this ship I will never, ever play it again. Not even in co-op.

I wanted to like this ship because of my affection for France, but my final verdict:

I HATE THIS SHIP WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,762 posts
9,410 battles

The Aigle feels like if she had been released 2 years ago she would have been fine, forcing filling (poorly) a role between USN and IJN DDs.
But with the current meta trends and powercreep, she just feels lacking.

Less good than a Farragut at being an ambusher/harasser
Less good than an Gaede at being jack of all trades
Less good than a Gveny as a gunboat
Less good than a Fubuki as a torpedo boat

She could greatly benefit from some tweaking.
Maybe a nudge in her torpedo range, or better gun angles, or even longer smoke...

• Cool 3

[GWN]
Players
57 posts

She is interesting ship to say at least. I haven't really ever have had ship that is dependable so heavily on Captain Skills. And I use main armaments mod  2 to speed up turrets better and he fire power increases nicely. As of captain skills. From 0-3 "she is: Why you keep hitting yourself, do you like pain?" from 3-6 she goes "well, she kinda works but really?" and from 10+ "Well she is quite good ship but man she eats skill points to be even closely to as comfy as other her tier DD half the skill points and effort, is she really worth it?" I get best results not trying to contest with other DD's close by or challenging alone. My Aigle is support support ship for the team. She doesn't do well Solo.   But she plays more like: Russian DD / Cleveland Hybrid as best. Consider he more like Under powered Cruiser without citadel than a large Destroyer. She can't contest well objectives alone against other destroyers and I kinda feel I am always losing side unless other player makes grave mistake. She just doesn't yet give me assurance she could go toe to toe against other DD's and come out of top. Maybe if I get more skills points and see when they fix IFHE bug. She might be devastating with Demolition expert, IFHE, Stealth and marksman combined with Main Armaments 2 instead Aiming system. It works far better for me in Aigle than Aiming system mod. I can see potential and feel it. It just is that she needs God awful lot skill points and Exp to make her worth while while her rivaling DD's do it half of the effort,

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,720 battles
On 3/1/2018 at 2:30 PM, Exocet6951 said:

She could greatly benefit from some tweaking.
Maybe a nudge in her torpedo range, or better gun angles, or even longer smoke...

Out of the three I would say better gun angles. The torps are really strong and shouldn't have a better range, because then the Aigle becomes a killer ship with almost 19K torps at T6.

Improving smoke would only make sense if the French DD line had good smokes as a line trait.

12 hours ago, Menchalior said:

I haven't really ever have had ship that is dependable so heavily on Captain Skills.

The ship is very similar to the Atlanta, the threat it poses goes way up with every additional skill your Captain has. I have used my 25x XP bonus missions to turn a spare 10p Captain into a 15p dedicated Aigle one, now the ship wrecks face.

My 15p picks are:

Standard DD package with PT, LS, SE, CE, which covers all the basics and gives me a DD with almost the same amount of HP as a T5 cruiser.

12p is EM so that the turrets can stay on target. 15p is SI because both speed boost and smoke are of great help to this ship.

My 18p pick will be DE for a juicy 12% fire chance. Last point goes into PM to increase the survivability.

I wouldn't pick IFHE, as the high fire chance and great AP make the skill less useful in my opinion.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

tbh I think playing tier 5 Émile with an untrained captain is better than to put him in this boat at tier 6. Just my thought. But then, I love the Émile. I do not love... this... floating thing.

[SERBS]
Players
68 posts
8,760 battles

Dude my kamikaze R is 100% Better this ship AIGLE IS ridiculos for tier 6.camo,non torps,lmfao 7 km guns slow.....She need a buff i know its free premm but camo on wg its pure sh*t at momment

• Funny 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,410 posts
14,619 battles

Got it yesterday, played for a few games to get the containers of the campaign. Terrible winrate of 33%. Weekends are just for noobs and masochists.

Don't like it too much. With a 6.8km concealment at best in tier 6, you're outspotted by any other DD in the game except Maas and Mahan (maybe Minsk, cant remember right now). So basically you need to play like a cruiser (but I already have a ton of cruisers, why should I bother?), which makes torpedoes pointless with just 7km range, useful only for the occasional BB ambush among islands and noob DD torping in smoke.

What to do when you're the only DD in your flank/team?  Die. Spotted by almost any destroyer, it's not exactly nimble, so a couple of cruisers or even battleships won't have problems to sink you in a few salvoes, no matter how high your health pool is. So capping with this ship is out of the question unless is a 1DD vs 1DD game, so you can gamble.

Meh ship. Should have been a tier 7 with 8-9 km torpedoes, like Maas or Mahan.

[NKK]
Beta Tester
702 posts
7,180 battles

I have played just 8 games, but I'm doing pretty well in this thing. I was afraid it was going to suck, but, atm, I quite like it. In fact, atm, it is the destroyer I do more average damage (62k).

I try to play it like a Russian DD. It's a gunboat to shoot at a distance. You have 12.8 km range from stock. Use them. I'm using my Gascogne captain, so the Skills are not optimal. I don't even have last stand, but I have EM, SI, CE and AFT, so I have 15.3 km. Granted, you don't hit much at that distance, but you will rarely get hit from 13 km+.

So, try to get another DD to spot, use the smoke when no torps here, and use the Speed boost to shoot in the open at more than 10 km away.

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

If you judge it by common DD standards she's outrageously awful.

If you judge it by pure merits as an extremely sneaky and powerful gunboat, she's a winner.

I've played some games with her. Can see why so many people hate it because they expect to have success playing it as a conventional DD, and that way they only get annoyed by a ship that's not one. It's a ship with marked weaknesses, but also tremendous strenghts. If you play the Aigle as a conventional destroyer you're just fighting  not just the enemy, but also your own ship forcing her to do things she's not good at doing. and of course the result usually is a mess.

So don't. 

Play her to her strenghts. Which are those strenghts?: Her guns have awful arcs but are extremely powerful for a DD. Splendid fire chances. She's insanely fast with the consumable online. She has a helluva hitpoints for a Tier 6 DD. Her torpedos have awful speed but hit like a bunch of bricks. How to exploit them?. Find good firing positions to shoot and let loose. Use the gun arcs to exploit the heck out of firing behind cover. Lay ambushes to exploit the extreme damage of your torpedoes while minimizing their low speed. If engaging something in the open kick that speed boost and speedtank while firing at top range. Burn stuff up.

And most of all - run it with Survability expert. A T6 destroyer with 19100hp is absolutely no joke whatsoever.

Don't play her to her weaknesses. Which are those weaknesses and how not to fall for them?: awful gun arcs, uninspiring turret turning and low shell velocity (so don't engage in fast maneouvering contests, if you're in a situation where you can't use all your guns, just bug out of there, you have the speed to do so). Huge visibility radius (So judge, based on the support available to you, wether if spotted by a DD you can't see you want to immediately turn tails and get the heck out of dodgde, or engage your speed boost and charge in).

Your mindset in this ship shouldn't be one of a common DD but more of a very small cruiser with the ability to lay smoke. Someone likened it elsewhere to the british Cruisers and, actually, that's not a far-off statement. I'm playing the Aigle very similar to how I played my Leander (and I loved every second of it), while mixing a bit of what I'm used to do in the minsk/leningrad (even with those horrible long range shell arcs you can reliably hit battleships at top range, after all, while speedtanking) and I'm having quite a decent success with it. 

But if I ever tried to play it like a Farragut obviously I'd get rekt everytime.

Does it need a buff?. Not sure, in fact I don't think so. Again, that a ship has very polarizing and extreme weaknesses doesn't mean it's bad if it compensates it with very extreme strenghts. It just will mean it's a ship that demands a lot of attention and care, but that it can perform very well if it is treated right. And boy does this thing perform well if you know how to handle it (see, in my last game I facewrecked a Z-23 at close range even while he tried to play the hydro-and-smoke trick on me. but 19100 hp to shrug off his shots, and those fast firing 140mms being no joke even for a T8 at close range, not even with Aigle's poor angles meant I totally stomped him. Costed me quite a bit of health, but some 11k hp in exchange for a top tier DD is a trade I'll happily accept everyday.).

Being touchy doesn't mean being crap, and this ship is certainly far from being crap. The ship is good as it is.

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
Players
1,247 posts
16,207 battles
15 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

Stock vs stock , the aigle out dpm's the gadjah mada on paper + the extra hp and torps that can connect dd's , you could win a 1 vs 1. Couple this with AR+BFT  with the special commander you get the following figures @ Half hp

Aigle     = 60 / 3.6* 5 * 2000 = 166666.66 DPM where 3.6 is the reload thanks to BFT + AR 

Gadjah =60 / 4 * 6 * 1700 =  153000.0 DPM where 4.0 is the reload with BFT + Normal AR

And the gap grows with the special AR on french captain as you go lower.

What does this mean? 

On Paper , the aigle is a excellent dd hunter  except for  her own turrets fighting u and have to be full broadside to use the dpm advantage . Needless to say though  that concealment will give the enemy destroyer the opening salvo.

Dont know why people think u should play her  as a RU DD. For  me she is  a mix of USN/RU DD

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

Numbers don't tell the whole story. While in a straight up 1 v 1 probably aigle would prevail against most DDs, in fact things rarely are 1v1, and the situation isn't as straightforward either.

For one each time a DD sees other DD 90% of the time it's not a 1v1. It's 1 (and it's support) vs 1 (and it's support). Having a ship that allows you to fight while dogding and doing very harsh maneouvers is an excellent plus in that situation (not only makes it harder for the other DD to hit you, but his buddies aswell), while having to remain more or less in a steady course to max your firepower is a huge penalty (makes hitting you that much easier, for the other DD but for his buddies aswell).

The concealment is a big issue aswell. Most fights you'll enter on the wrong footing because you'll be seen before you see the DD, which means the enemy DD gets the first strike if he chooses so...and his buddies aswell get a free shot on you.

Shell speed is not a negligible disadvantage if what you find is a russian DD (or anything with high velocity guns) because if they choose to try to stay at a range you'll be hard pressed to hit the enemy while he'll have a very easy time hitting you.

Torpedoes don't really count in the DD vs DD scenario. Aigle is a massive DD and is far more likely that YOU will eat his torpedoes than that HE eats your 55 knot underwater snails. Seen plenty of Aigles dying that way.

All in all Aigle is far from powerless against destroyers but her disadvantages really mean she's not a specialist in the role even while her ROF, DPM and hitpoints might induce to think otherwise. And specially early game she has to be managed with caution and not thrown mindlessy int o a cap zone, because then she'd be sunk or crippled for almost no gain.

And no, this thing can't be fought like american DDs. American DDs for one have insane smokes, so the part about firing from self-made cover goes totally to the american DDs. And American DDs have incredible turret traverses and turret angles, exactly two of the most penalizing weaknesses of Aigle, which means US DDs can weave, turn, and wildly avoid return fire while keeping their full DPM up and running while Aigle doing that kind of stunt would really struggle to keep 2 guns firing, let alone try to use it's (on paper) superior DPM.

Nope, I can't see how this thing is similar to an US DD at all.

• Cool 2

Players
441 posts
16,066 battles

Well I find here to be awesome, not over powered but balanced in the sens that she ha pros and cons and that I do like.

There's nothing more boring than a plain average ship.

She has some things going for here, 20% to boost so she is fast that means a speed flag and a mod1 boos module is somthing one should put on here.

I got 3x 3 min worth of boost with no Superintendent.

One should also combine this with the engine module that increases acceleration, yea I know people gonna trust flamu and other yutubers more  and its somewhat up to how you play but with the boost, module, flag and all you can switch direction faster then your speed indicatior can keep up.

I was told I was doing -3.6 in reverse when I was at like 1/4 speed forward already, this thing can hit 30kts in a few seconds from 1/4 speed and it gets moving in smoke in less then a second with boost applied so even the most sneaky torps can often be avoided.

It allows some rely nice torpedo doging in smoke or you can just do the French stop and go tactic like the cruisers do when even a BB tries to nuke you when your kiting them.

Also this ship screams for Demolition Epxert, 9% fire chance with a rate of fire and gun setup not to fare of the Americans, well thats just awesome in comparison to US DD's. This thing just burns stuff.

I just punished a hood with a torp and flooding, then two fires in one salvo with DE once that burnt out I torped him again.

I took out a Crusier with fires while doing that, all from smoke and dodging torps as I described when the Crusier tried to torp me in smoke.

This thing is awesome from smoke or kiting around.

Its very good at killing DD's to and should win most 1 vs 1. Even US DD's will have a hard time, went up against the Sims and the standard T5 one at the same time, they both died I did not and one big reason is the HP pool of this thing, I will go for Survivability Expert, it just screams for it.

When I had killed them I took the cap and burnd there BB's from smoke in the cap.

Basic Firing Training is also something that will benefit this boat.

Stack BFT and DE and you got awesome chance of fires and DPM. You could add Adrenalin rush but I find that you might end up spending to much on 2 point skills but its a good skill none the less if you have the points for it.

Concelment is not bad to invest in, I do find that most caps are big enough that you can contest it.

Your fast enough to get there early and as long as the enemy DD wont push much past the boarder of the cap he cant see you so you can hold it while support arrives.

Also the torps are overall bad BUT they do pack a big punch  of over 18K dmg and the torps are sneaky at 1.2km detection so they are effective against targets that is cumming your way or are just dumb enough to push you.

I think a lot of player underestimate this boat, both the once playing it and some going up against it.

So far  I have 16 games in it with 12 wins, its a good boat if you exploit its pros and dont get hung up over the moon arks or turrets set in concrete because theirs something called balance and we need that.

From a fun factor I will give this boat a 8 out of 10.

Its actually decent to the point that I would consider buying it and I would DEFINITELY be pissed if I didn't grind it for free and later found out what I missed out on.