You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
woodcook

Tier VIII matchmaking

29 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Players
18 posts
9,788 battles

I'm averaging 85% T X matches in T VIII ships, any one else get this and are you as bored with it?

• Cool 2

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles

That is pretty much the standard MM for T8. Some ships can handle it well, some can´t handle it at all.

Better play the ships that can handle it.

Players
301 posts
7,701 battles
15 minutes ago, Tekacko said:

That is pretty much the standard MM for T8. Some ships can handle it well, some can´t handle it at all.

Better play the ships that can handle it.

Basically you mean Play BBs or DDs only, cause cruisers even with smoke have a hard time, spotted and 5 BBs shooting your way.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

I played a lot in CBT and some time after that, then i took a break a short while after Tirpitz was released and came back this month and that was one thing that struck me the most.

Playing T8 games is near certain today to be thrown into T10 games. Same with the T6.

Sweet spot is T5 and T7 i find. Stopped grinding the Amagi completely because of it, might as well bring out the DM or Montana instead.

Would be interesting if during high player count-hours they would run +-1 tier instead. 

I don´t find it fun fighting Montanas in my Tirpitz and i don´t enjoy farming Tipritzes in my Montana, the gap is just so large between T8 and T10. At least for BBs and CAs, dont know about DDs.

Beta Tester
626 posts
2,055 battles

WG had to give T8 its own MM in wowp it worked well but there to lazy to do it in Wows its like they don't care anymore.

• Cool 1

[T_B-S]
[T_B-S]
Players
27 posts
3,323 battles

what's that hard I don't get it ??

MM should be +- 1 tier only and that's it. yeah it may last 30 sec longer for the match to start but hey, would be better and no one would ever complain!

Why is that hard to fix this?

Another annoying thing:

I play 3 matches in my arizona and get 2 CV teams and get wrecked by planes, then pick the cleveland and hey, no CV this time and T8 mm with tirpitz, bismark, NC , amagi just waiting to wreck you with guns this time......

• Boring 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts
35 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

WG had to give T8 its own MM in wowp it worked well but there to lazy to do it in Wows its like they don't care anymore.

That's rich calling them too lazy when you're too lazy to use the right word (there, they're and their are different words, writing them all as there isn't bad spelling, it's just laziness, same with to/too/two). 

For some reason they don't want to do +/- 1, supposedly it's because of queue times, but I doubt it would make much of a difference. Personally I'd be fine with waiting an extra 30-60 seconds in the queue as it's almost instantaneous now.

Players
918 posts
8,318 battles

Charles Martel can handle TX pretty well in my experience. I have long argued to give TIX and TX their own matchmaking bracket but WG is not going to do anything about it. So you either accept it or don't spend any money on the game until they do.

Players
766 posts
8,150 battles

Maybe they could make the matchmaker dynamic, and switch between +/-1 and +/-2 depending on the number of players. Not sure about how the extra logic would affect processing.

• Cool 1

[BOAT]
Players
134 posts
2,167 battles

I find it really sickening.

I think my T8s got uptiered for like, 5 games in a row today. It's actually refreshing to see some T9s rather than 3 bloody enemy Shimakazes in every battle I enter with my aggressive, secondary-build Bismarck.

[BSPAS]
Beta Tester
117 posts
6,489 battles

After a LONG and PAINFUL grind I got rid of the T8's. Well, most of them anyway, so I can feel your pain, but I think you'll just have to clench your butt and grind your teeth through it 'cause WG don't give a FF for the T8 MM pain.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles

You are a liar, WG says you are more than 50% top tier.

• Funny 2

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles
On 2/12/2018 at 10:55 PM, MacFergus said:

What, is that crap still going on?!

[BS4]
Players
766 posts
5,159 battles
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, ColonelPete said:

nope, i do not.

mezjEYe.gif:Smile_smile:

Players
600 posts

The thing is, in my tier V Omaha roughly 40% of matches are vs tier IV's, 40% against tier VII's and 20% against tier VI's. Which is fine!

Why can't they do the same thing for tier VIII's?

It's not rocket science. Just a reprograming of the higher tiered matchmaking algorithms.

[TAW]
Players
54 posts
18,653 battles

So, basically gone trough code and methods and revisioned after one dude pointed out an obvious thing. I play also T8 games with my bismarck mostly, but some cruiser games and some DD games. I dont play CV's. Roughtly after 250 games the T8 match ship distribution looks like this:

mm_t8_tier_summary.png.a3b3167256345f8ad7350a14c98bad79.png

This is how my games looks like. Even if almost every game is a "T10 MM", the actual numbers of ship tiers look like this.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
On 2/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, woodcook said:

I'm averaging 85% T X matches in T VIII ships, any one else get this and are you as bored with it?

Actually, you're pulling these numbers out of your behind right now, so why even make a thread about the issue? Your "85%" is complete BS even based on my perception (as someone who plays a lot of t8), but - in fact - we very recently heard the actual stats that seem to go contrary to how most people (me included, I admit) feel. To be more precise..

T8 ships currently are toptier in 55% of the battles, 13% in T9 battles, and 33% in T10 battles.

This is from here

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/7xxfm7/072_qa_transcript_with_lordofdroid_and_sub/

It would actually seem that the t8 ships are so popular that - even with t10s never being uptiered - they are top tier more than half the time overall.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
976 posts
10,921 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Actually, you're pulling these numbers out of your behind right now, so why even make a thread about the issue? Your "85%" is complete BS even based on my perception (as someone who plays a lot of t8), but - in fact - we very recently heard the actual stats that seem to go contrary to how most people (me included, I admit) feel. To be more precise..

This is from here

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/7xxfm7/072_qa_transcript_with_lordofdroid_and_sub/

It would actually seem that the t8 ships are so popular that - even with t10s never being uptiered - they are top tier more than half the time overall.

Those figures, assuming they are correct, do not take time of day into account. While prime-time may well see a large number of games where T8 is top tier I can assure you that if you play outside of those hours this is entirely not the case. I usually play somewhere between 21.30 and 02.00 and during this time T8 is consistently uptiered. Shouldn't those of us who have obligations that keep us from playing at any but the busiest of times have an equally fair experience to those who can play at prime time?

[-FF-]
Players
610 posts
5,414 battles
48 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Those figures, assuming they are correct, do not take time of day into account. While prime-time may well see a large number of games where T8 is top tier I can assure you that if you play outside of those hours this is entirely not the case. I usually play somewhere between 21.30 and 02.00 and during this time T8 is consistently uptiered. Shouldn't those of us who have obligations that keep us from playing at any but the busiest of times have an equally fair experience to those who can play at prime time?

We more easily remember bad experiences than good ones.

T8 is indeed top tier half of the time (this is the average stats from all servers, excluding China).

While time of the day may have an impact, except during the late night (not enough players for a good MM algorithm) I do not see any problem for that MM.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
976 posts
10,921 battles
30 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

We more easily remember bad experiences than good ones.

T8 is indeed top tier half of the time (this is the average stats from all servers, excluding China).

While time of the day may have an impact, except during the late night I do not see any problem for that MM.

Ordinarily, yes, but not being uptiered in a T8 ship is such a rarity that it is actually those games that are more memorable to me.

Look at it another way, it is widely acknowledged that T7 is somewhat a sweet spot at the moment. While this is, in part, somewhat due to the protected MM at T4 it is also because, after a certain point in the evening, most T8s will be dragged up to make up the numbers in T10 battles, due to a dwindling server population the further from prime-time you get. We know the MM algorithm tries its hardest to avoid long queues and so, as the number of T9/T10 ships in the queue diminishes, more and more T8s get pulled up to fill the slots. It may be that a game has 2 T10s and 3 T9s per side, for example, so 7 T8s will get uptiered. That's 14 people getting pulled up. Therefore there is a high probability to be one of those players given that the number of people actually in the queue at any one time, past 9-10 o'clock in the evening, is quite low.

During the weekend, or on the rare occasions when I am able to play during prime-time midweek, the experience is totally different. Then there is a good chance to be top-tier in my tier 8 ships unfortunately, at those times, there is also a far higher probability of detrimental effects on my sanity. It's swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Edit: If remembering the bad times, was the sole factor, then we could expect to see threads like this about just about almost every tier in the game. Observation, however, does not match that expectation. Where are the T7 always uptiered threads or T6 always uptiered threads? There are multiple threads about T8 MM but I don't see the others. That's because there is an issue with T8 MM.

Players
3,607 posts
7,323 battles
13 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

While time of the day may have an impact, except during the late night (not enough players for a good MM algorithm) I do not see any problem for that MM.

Does this not depend upon the ship class that you play?

T8 BB may well be top tier most of the time because of BB numbers at higher tiers, but T8 CA/DD seem to spend a lot of time at higher tiers for exactly the same reason.

Which is why BB numbers are such a problem, it means that the other classes get their MM ruined to accomodate the BB crowds, which then leads to fewer players using those ships and an even bigger BB imbalance.