Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ysterpyp

Is the new york good?

28 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
1,277 posts
17,576 battles

Seeing alot of new york bb's in t5 , why would anyone play her...  is she any good? :Smile_hiding:

Thinking about a repurchase :P

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles

It's not bad but mostly it's just something that gets you first to New Mexico... and later to North Carolina.

Sadly NY and Kongo suffer from power creep from all the new ships and (especially) the premiums.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Kongo has been pushed out big time by GC and the other faster BBs. She used to be the fastest BB by miles in her MM now she's power creeped yes.

I imagine ppl see stuff like Iowa and want to grind up there so they're forced to play the lol that is NY. It's fun when you see NY and other non RN BBs HE spam.

[CATS]
Players
19,953 posts
12,415 battles

New York has the deadliest BB guns on Tier V, but you have to be careful with her weak armor and her slow speed.

[WGB]
[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,127 posts
27,855 battles
43 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

Seeing alot of new york bb's in t5 , why would anyone play her...  is she any good? :Smile_hiding:

Thinking about a repurchase :P

The NY was fun back in the day, but if you want a real fun ship that will give you 30% more rewards in dmg, plane kills, and kills, buy the Texas, My average DMG with NY is 41k but with Texas it's 60k, and with a WR of 60% and average 3.9 Plane kills per battle.

Get the Texas with doubloons in-game, well worth it.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

New York has the deadliest BB guns on Tier V, but you have to be careful with her weak armor and her slow speed.

I think GC has the deadliest guns in T5. They're accurate and still punch hard enough to pen anything in the MM.

NY does have a heavy salvo but she gives broadside to get them all on target and they derp hard at longer ranges.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

New York guns are deadlier vs BB. They punch really hard.

GC are not much worse, has the same amount of guns but most importantly the platform the guns are mounted on has a lot of pace so has far more tactical flexibility than the NY.

Slow BBs now are in serious trouble as they cannot retreat and once you've picked a position that's where you're going to stay.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
19,953 posts
12,415 battles

I already said that in my first post.

That does not change the fact that the guns are really deadly. And he wanted to know why people play her. For some it is all about the guns.

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That does not change the fact that the guns are really deadly. And he wanted to know why people play her. For some it is all about the guns.

I would agree with that. Kongo for example is not a better fighting ship.. but at the very least you have a chance of running away when (if) your support abandons you or dies.

That's also why GC is a more dangerous ship. Nearly same firepower as NY but a much better overall package compared to both Kongo and NY

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,430 battles

I didn't like the New York when I ground her, the Texas has slightly better gunnery arcs and better AA, but is the better of the 2.

New York - nice guns, iffy armour, very slow, poor gunnery arcs. The New Mexico+ is worth it though.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

Well NY is usable. There isn't a huge difference between NY and Tex. Other than slightly different superstructures that influence angling.

Maybe slow BBs need a bit of experience these days otherwise you just get focused down.

USN tend to have the calibre edge at most tiers other than T6. It's only now with other BB lines that retrospectively have alot more lower calibre weapons. 

[UNICS]
Players
1,277 posts
17,576 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

personally for me i hate shotgun dispersion. Especially after being treated with GC accuracy

34 minutes ago, iJoby said:

The NY was fun back in the day, but if you want a real fun ship that will give you 30% more rewards in dmg, plane kills, and kills, buy the Texas, My average DMG with NY is 41k but with Texas it's 60k, and with a WR of 60% and average 3.9 Plane kills per battle.

Because you probably had a low point commander in her aswell.. Texas wil be nice if u team up with a cv thats for sure

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
19,953 posts
12,415 battles
33 minutes ago, iJoby said:

More experience in the game does that for your ship performance...

• Cool 1

[WGB]
[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,127 posts
27,855 battles
3 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

Because you probably had a low point commander in her aswell

I don't think I was at the level for a commander back then, US BB's were my first grind, I was in AWE of the Mexico. I actually miss those days of real battles.

• Funny 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,277 posts
17,576 battles

3 minutes ago, iJoby said:

I don't think I was at the level for a commander back then, US BB's were my first grind, I was in AWE of the Mexico. I actually miss those days of real battles.

All i remember back then  was the pain of getting concealment expert \ 15pnt commander, that was really painful  esp without free captain xp.. oh the glory days..

• Funny 1

[SINT]
[SINT]
Players
394 posts
16,289 battles

In my opinion the NY is the worst of all batleships at tier V and suffers the most from being uptiered.

For me there are 2 kind of BB’s t tier V. The slow 5 dual gun setup type you have where your counterparts outperform the NY:

The Konig (better armor, speed, good reload, better aa, better 2nd, lower calibre guns)

Iron Duke (slighly better armor, a bit better reload, HE, all in all just better)

Texas (just a better variant losing 0,5 speed)

Bretagne (maybe your counterpart in being worst in class/tier)

Then we have the 2 fast BB’s. They are a different type and are therefore more difficult to directly compare.

Kongo has the speed and range but lacks a bit in DPM because one less turret (but a bit better reload). GC realy outshines the NY. Sure its squishy and you can punish him with your 14 inch guns... but his 320 will punish you just as hard. 

NY is in a painfull place..

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles

I kinda liked the New York, sure she is lackluster in the secondary and mobility (speed) department, but under the right circumstances a sturdy ship. However her rare doesn't react very well to incoming plunging fire, so you have to fight with her at medium range were her massive amount of fire easily can punish and delete cruisers, even wounded battleships - just dont broadside with her.

Also she is very unforgiving if you overextend with her, like the rest of her sister (New Mexico and Colorado)  she's the kinda girl who's are going "all-in" type, so awareness is very important or you'll be deleted quickly. 

However once engaged in middle to close range angled correctly, she can take a heck of punishment and dish out quite a lot in return.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,807 battles
1 hour ago, Ysterpyp said:

Because you probably had a low point commander in her aswell.. Texas wil be nice if u team up with a cv thats for sure

Who would want to willingly play a tier V CV to division the Texas with?

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,705 posts
20,674 battles
1 hour ago, Ysterpyp said:

Especially after being treated with GC accuracy

GC is not really a tier 5...

[SINT]
[SINT]
Players
394 posts
16,289 battles
2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Who would want to willingly play a tier V CV to division the Texas with?

I did, but the combo is not as good as a Flint / Atlanta/ Tier 7 CV combination.

But you really need too be lucky with MM in the first place (being stuck in tier 7 MM is painfull for both ships) and the other cv’s unawareness of the aa capability of a captain buffed Texas. Like using your bombers as bait for his fighters  kiting them back into Texas aa bubble..

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Problem with lower tier BB is they all have very soft noses. So higher calibre AP when you're bow in will utterly murder you.

That's easier to avoid in faster BB as you can just run but in a slow BB you're just a sitting target.

Beta Tester
656 posts
2,063 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

Problem with lower tier BB is they all have very soft noses. So higher calibre AP when you're bow in will utterly murder you.

That's easier to avoid in faster BB as you can just run but in a slow BB you're just a sitting target.

Yep in the faster BBs you get in trouble you can turn tail and kite , In the NY this isn't possible Cruisers and DDs will just run you down she is also so slow she cant influence a game if you pick one flank and manage to clean up good luck trying to support the far flank it will take you light years to get there.

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles
13 minutes ago, MacFergus said:

Yep in the faster BBs you get in trouble you can turn tail and kite , In the NY this isn't possible Cruisers and DDs will just run you down she is also so slow she cant influence a game if you pick one flank and manage to clean up good luck trying to support the far flank it will take you light years to get there.

You first need to survive the "turn tail" part :)

Personally I'd never take a NY completely to a flank. It needs to be positioned fairly centrally or you will take yourself away from the battle assuming you clean your part of the map.

In slow ships I always try to find some cover that allows me to focus on one flank while not having to worry about the other (assuming the other flank holds on for a bit).

The "cover" needs to be just slightly to one flank so that you're not far from being able to engage on the other side if the need arises.

Sign in to follow this