Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Arnianor

Großer Kurfürst secondary build question

26 comments in this topic

[KMN]
Players
33 posts

Hi there!

Just got my Großer Kurfürst today, quite happy about it. I'd like to spec in secondary build, less so sniping (I'd play Yamato / Montana to snipe).

Now, up to there the road was pretty clear as to which skill to take when with my captain.

However, with GK I feel there's a few thing that have changed. So I'd like to know a bit more about it.

So far, here's the build I have (didn't change from the one I had before GK):
PT, EM, AR, BFT, SI, AFT, MFCSA (edited the typo mistakes I did, sorry)

Now, I've seen builds using PM instead of PT, which I can understand, but there's also quite a few builds I've seen that uses DCCA. Why ? Won't the fighter be dead as soon as the ennemy cv engages them ?

Other question, I've seen a few builds taking IFHE for the secondaries. is it really worth it ? If yes, what do you advise to let go for it, and why ?

Any other advice for this build ? 

As for the upgrades, would you go for main battery 3 or secondary 3 ?

Thanks in advance !

[-GBF-]
Players
763 posts
3,194 battles
8 minutes ago, Arnianor said:

Hi there!

Just got my Großer Kurfürst today, quite happy about it. I'd like to spec in secondary build, less so sniping (I'd play Yamato / Montana to snipe).

Now, up to there the road was pretty clear as to which skill to take when with my captain.

However, with GK I feel there's a few thing that have changed. So I'd like to know a bit more about it.

PT, EM, AR, BFT, SE, MFT, MFCSA

Now, I've seen builds using PM instead of PT, which I can understand, but there's also quite a few builds I've seen that uses DCCA. Why ? Won't the fighter be dead as soon as the ennemy cv engages them ?

Other question, I've seen a few builds taking IFHE for the secondaries. is it really worth it ? If yes, what do you advise to let go for it, and why ?

Thanks in advance !

dont go secondary build go tank build instead

• Cool 4

[FUSO]
Players
73 posts
5,925 battles

I think you are fairly solid with that secondary build. Secondary mod 3 enhances the reload, but is it really worth it to give that up for the main batteries? wich i think are still more important

I would switch Priority target with Preventive maintance tough, and make sure you have super intendent aswel

MFCSA should be swapped out for Advanced Firing training. You need the range advantage on those AA guns and secondaries aswel 

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,353 posts
8,034 battles

1.) Choosing SE (3pt skill) on a BB is a clear sign of NOT unterstanding the game mechanics. Every good player would spot you as a bad player doing that choice.

2.) A secondary build on the GK is possible, but not recommended. The Bismarck can achieve good results with it, but on the GK you lose a lot of your battle potenial.

3.) As @GhostRider_24 said: best build is the tank build.

edit:

This is the mentioned tank build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

I, personally, prefer a slightly modified skill set, because I use my GK captain on all german premium BBs as well (Tirpitz, Scharnhorst), so I picked manual AA (because german have good AA guns above 85mm), with the last point whereever you feel you need it: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000100000000010000001000100010119

The seconday build would be like this: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010000011001000100019

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
30 minutes ago, Arnianor said:

Hi there!

Thanks in advance !

PM let's your secondary battery (and AA mounts) survive longer which are quite essential for a secondary build. I personally don't see the point for PT. Just assume that you are fired at as soon as you are spotted, angle the right way and you can go without it. Catapult fighters don't go down as soon as a CV attacks them because AFAIK they have more HP than a single CV plane. They also inflict panic on incoming bombers and while one is nice for detecting enemies behind islands or torpedoes, two are better. Although the problem with the panic effect is that both fighters tend to attack the same bomber squad which makes it kind of pointless in that regard.

IMO:

AR and EM is fine.

BFT is ok for a secondary build but please scrap SE. 3 points for 3500 additional HP on a ship with 100k HP (i.e. about 3,5% more HP)? Not really worth it. Take SI instead for more heal and hydro.

I am personally not a fan of MFCSA because it "disables" half of the secondary and they shoot only at targets you mark. AFT is a must for the range because what good is a secondary build if you can't reach the enemy?

What is MFT supposed to be?

I can only speak for the Yamato, though, where have a secondary/tank build which means I have DCCA (might change that, though), EM, AR, BoS, SI, FP and AFT plus SBM 2 and 3. Works quite well, too.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,427 battles
40 minutes ago, Arnianor said:

For me best built for this ship is a secondaries/tankiness hybrid.

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marskman

Basics of Survivability, Super Intendent

AFT, Manual Secondaries

Cheers

p.s. For the love of it, not survivability expert on a BB, it is only for destroyers

[UNICS]
Players
3,688 posts
14,479 battles

I'm averaging 57K damage in FDG, but keep tanking a ton of damage most battles. I'm not a good bb player, but tank builds kind of make you more dependent on the team to pick up the damage you're not doing. What's your experience in Kurfurst tank build? Damage and WR still good?

[KMN]
Players
33 posts

I just tested something out. Taking out a Yamato with secondaries only, with and without IFHE, shooting only secondaries at her rear.

The result is pretty amazing:

Without IFHE: 3m25s (715 hits)

With IFHE: 1min05s (256 hits)

What do you guys think of this ?

[SCRUB]
Players
5,568 posts
11,267 battles
7 minutes ago, Arnianor said:

What do you guys think of this ?

You're late to the party, the meta moved on - with the addition of RN BB you'll want fire prevention instead of IFHE.

Even before that, going full secondary at t10 was rather sketchy because of the campy gameplay in general.

Still, for some time there was room for extra silly secondary builds - which explains my fairly good Currywurst stats regardless of running an IFHE build back then.

[SINT]
[SINT]
Players
393 posts
16,275 battles

Sitting at FdG and unlocked 16 th point. Have AFT (not going to spec 2nd) but extra range for both aa and 2nd is great. This captain will go the the GK and i have too choose between fire prevention and concealment. experimenting with the free reset of skills and the 13 km concealment is rather nice....But having one less burn spot looks great too.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,227 posts
15,789 battles

Secondary specs may be funny, but are largely pointless. Why melt enemy battleships at 3 km when you can play a Hindenburg, Des Moines, or upcoming Worcester and melt them from beyond 15?

Players
1,009 posts
6,188 battles

I understand OP's point of view. I also have other battleships to play if I want sniping and tankiness builds. I take advantage of the good base tankiness of the german line to play a secondary build. 

It might not be optimal, but hey I lost the count of the number of times my secondaries finished a destroyer at close range, and it adds another gameplay possibility, and a funny one I would say!

here is the build I'm using

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles

BFT is the most wasted skill to use even with secondary spec. If you run with secondaries you need to cram as much survivability in there and on third line there are 2 super good skills for that. SI and BoS, if you play defensive go with SI, if you play very aggressive and try to close out game fast go BoS.

Most importantly though I wouldnt recommend a secondary build unless you go 100% in for secondaries. 

There are two builds I use for GK:

The most competitive one by far is the main gun/tank build. Just go main battery accuracy and you can push wherever and still be a threat.

My fav build is the rather uncompetitive, yet super fun IFHE secondary build.

If you ever use a secondary build on GK, USE IFHE OR DONT GO SECONDARY AT ALL.

The IFHE lets your secondaries pen even Montana and Iowas 38mm plating/deck, of course this includes tonnes of 32mm plating on tier 8-10 BBs. Im talking huge damage here. My highest damage record was with this build for a while (318k).

I suggest everyone interested take a look at this thread and see just what results this build puts out. 

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,271 posts
9,070 battles

Dont listen to them, Kurfürst with a normal BB skill build is just a bad Montana or a really bad Conqueror. Use secondary build to stand out.

[ITA]
Players
14 posts
19,089 battles

GK secondarie building si worth only if you go for ifhe, otherwise go for tank build..

So, something like pt, ar, si, manual sec+aft +ifhe.

you’ll have to manage your slow turning turret, so if you can’t or hate slow turret rotaton use em instead of ar.

Players
299 posts
19,093 battles
26 minutes ago, AutoBot said:

GK secondarie building si worth only if you go for ifhe, otherwise go for tank build..

So, something like pt, ar, si, manual sec+aft +ifhe.

you’ll have to manage your slow turning turret, so if you can’t or hate slow turret rotaton use em instead of ar.

I argee with this.

In the first place, best build would be tank. But 'I go for secondary take also IFHE. I am using seconday build on GK for fun and for missions with secondary dmg...

But be ready that if you get ocean or open maps you wont use our secondaries anyway.

Beta Tester
1,466 posts
9,837 battles
13 hours ago, Arnianor said:

Hi there!

PT, EM, AR, BFT, SI, AFT, MFCSA (edited the typo mistakes I did, sorry)

Thanks in advance !

Please reconsider builds. I get that trolly factor of going full secondary builds on German BBs. But if you want the most out of youre GK you need to go tank build. Its just so much more viable. Secondary build is so situational and promotes a more YOLO playstyle which isnt really the best way to play her. With all the fire spamming ships in the game you wont survive long without tank build. German BBs are my absolute favourite targets in my fire spamming Zao, Hinden, Khaba, Conqueror etc. etc. Its so easy to burn them down if they dont have tank build. Its like they are made out of paper and gasoline. 

12 hours ago, GhostRider_24 said:

This!!!

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,353 posts
8,034 battles
2 hours ago, kfa said:

Dont listen to them, Kurfürst with a normal BB skill build is just a bad Montana or a really bad Conqueror. Use secondary build to stand out.

Standing out like you in your Kurfurst?!

:cap_haloween:

[SINT]
[SINT]
Players
393 posts
16,275 battles
13 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Standing out like you in your Kurfurst?!

:cap_haloween:

Standing out like “ insert your torps here” sign when you rush a cap with enemy dd’s enjoying your presence :)

[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,687 battles

2ndary works ocasionally, problem is campy meta that wont allow effective use of secondaries. 

So logical way to go is tank build, its still very tanky and 12 guns that can work or RNG says NO. 

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
13 hours ago, GhostRider_24 said:

What he said.

Sign in to follow this