Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wilkatis_LV

Fire Chnce from pens / shatters

9 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
4,268 posts
6,795 battles

Apparently there's a myth that a penetrating HE shell in more likely to set a fire than a shattering one. Decided to test it :cap_yes:

Ship: La Gallis.... you know which one I'm talking about. 12% Fire chance (no flags / modules / commander skills), 152mm guns with 24mm of HE pen

Target: Yamato (19mm superstructure / 32mm bow) - bot so no DCSM1 / FP. Fire resist x0.5005 so effective fire chance is 6.006% (1 fire per 16.65 shells or 50 fires per 833 shells)

50 fires set in both cases (while that's not a high amount it should be a good enough to show a trend if there is one)

Hits scored per each fire:

z3DElre.png

2 points to note:

• LaGal... has 3x barrels per turret, so theoretically part of those numbers could be 1 or 2 shells lower as I don't know which of the last impacting shells scored the fire
  • Not all of the numbers are divisible by 3 - while shooting at superstructure shells going slightly high may skip past the funnel, while shooting at the bow shells going slightly high or slightly low will fly over it or hit the water before it respectively

Total penetrations for 50 fires: 741. That's 14.82 shells per fire or 6.75% fire chance. Take out the x0.5005 fire resistance and we have 13.48% original fire chance (+1.48%)

Total shatters for 50 fires: 773. That's 15.46 shells per fire or 6.47% fire chance. Take out the x0.5005 fire resistance and we have 12.92% original fire chance (+0.92%)

Both cases (total of 4 training room battles) have average fire chance above the average, and both cases are pretty close to each other differing by just 0.56% (completely covered by the RNG).

Thus we can safely conclude that penetration or shatter - they don't impact your shells fire chance

• Cool 6

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

huh... did essentially the same test with a few thousand shells (Smith against a bunch of T10 BBs) quite a long time ago, and my results were the opposite: My effective fire chance doubled when I was shooting the superstructure compared to shooting the belt. Now, Smith's dinky pea shooters can't penetrate either of these (which was sort of the point, doing no damage to get more shell hits), it seemed to be purely based on Superstructure versus Main Belt - so if you could be bothered @wilkatis_LV there might be value in adding the main armour belt as a third target zone?

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,242 battles
12 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

huh... did essentially the same test with a few thousand shells (Smith against a bunch of T10 BBs) quite a long time ago, and my results were the opposite: My effective fire chance doubled when I was shooting the superstructure compared to shooting the belt. Now, Smith's dinky pea shooters can't penetrate either of these (which was sort of the point, doing no damage to get more shell hits), it seemed to be purely based on Superstructure versus Main Belt - so if you could be bothered @wilkatis_LV there might be value in adding the main armour belt as a third target zone?

Can you even set a fire by hitting the belt? I may be mistaken, but all fire setting zones are on the topside (on and above the deck) of ships, aren't they?

EDIT: I'm saying this purely based on memory, where I remember damaging ships with HE through their thinner upper belt, but don't remember ever setting a fire in a case like that.

Quality Poster
3,367 posts
8,384 battles
20 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

There are two things that are meddled up here:

1. Fire chance of the shell doesn't drop when the shell shatters. It stays the same.

2. SETTING a fire is dependend (afaik) on where you hit the enemy (super structure, belt, etc).

So if you think in 'effective fire chance' - so not only the fire chance per shell  but also take into account where it lands - then you get the result of your Smith test.

Greetings

[ADRIA]
Players
4,268 posts
6,795 battles
56 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

shooting the belt

Reason why I picked the bow is that belt is usually torpedo bulge a.k.a. spaced armour, right? That might actually affect something:cap_hmm:

45 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Can you even set a fire by hitting the belt?

You can, actually I'm pretty sure near misses with HE can still set fires if your ship was within the splash radius :cap_haloween:

I recently did a test with LaGal just shooting a Yamato in the same spot on the main belt nonstop till it sank, took me about 9...10 min. HE obviously kept shattering, but every once in a while they'd set a fire

38 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

2. SETTING a fire is dependend (afaik) on where you hit the enemy (super structure, belt, etc).

Just depends in which of 4 regions (3 with FP) you hit. Forward main belt will burn the same place as forward superstructure, tip of the bow will burn the same as hitting right ahead of guns and so on

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,242 battles
18 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Reason why I picked the bow is that belt is usually torpedo bulge a.k.a. spaced armour, right? That might actually affect something:cap_hmm:

You can, actually I'm pretty sure near misses with HE can still set fires if your ship was within the splash radius :cap_haloween:

I recently did a test with LaGal just shooting a Yamato in the same spot on the main belt nonstop till it sank, took me about 9...10 min. HE obviously kept shattering, but every once in a while they'd set a fire

Just depends in which of 4 regions (3 with FP) you hit. Forward main belt will burn the same place as forward superstructure, tip of the bow will burn the same as hitting right ahead of guns and so on

Thanks for clearing that up mate. I did know splash could knock modules (steering mainly I think), didn't know it could set fires as well.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,268 posts
6,795 battles

@Tyrendian89 @piritskenyer did the main belt shooting thing - same results :cap_haloween:

IKOMS1E.png

Total hits (shatters) for 50 fires: 759. That's 15.18 shells per fire or 6.59% fire chance. Take out the x0.5005 fire resistance and we have 13.16% original fire chance (+1.16%) placing it in the middle of the previous 2 tests

What I am surprised - 12% fire chance on LaGal, and yet over 6 training rooms and 150 fires I still got a consistent average of 13.19% fire chance - more than mounting both fire flags would give me. If only I could have this RNG in randoms aswell not just the training room :Smile_trollface:

Also, here are the hit locations (dots are exactly where I was aiming):

FOSnQ6g.jpg

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,453 posts
13,851 battles

Q: Can you confirm that HE fire chance is not affected by successful penetration or shatter? During the last week there have been quite a few threads trying to analyze the effect of new IFHE skill, and some of them assume that shattered HE shells will have its fire chance reduced to 40% of original fire chance. I haven’t seen this on official wiki though so I think it’s not true, but if it’s true then you need to update it on wiki asap as it’s pretty important.

A: Fire chance: Yes I can. Please let me copy-paste what I posted earlier:

Some interesting info from RU – Gameplay – World of Warships official forum – Page 234 When determining fire chance these things matter:

• Area of hit – because there are few areas that can be set on fire. So you can’t have two fires on bow at the same time.
  • Shell fire chance (with perk and flag bonuses added).
  • Ship fire protection value (with perk and mod. bonuses multiplied).
  • Final chance is multuplification of 2 and 3

Source:

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/01/13/world-of-warships-sub_octavian-reddit-qa-12012017/

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this