Rusty_9

How to play around radar?

20 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
420 posts
1,772 battles

Hi all

Noob question (should it be in this forum?)...

I am (mostly) having fun in my T-22 (KM T5 DD) having finally got a 'technique' that seems to work for me. It's my only T5 ship, and I'm wondering if any of you experienced capt's have some good advice on how best to deal with radar? My style tends to be very much skipping along the edge of visual range whilst capping (obviously :Smile_amazed:) and spotting. I tend to focus on using torps so I can stay undetected as much as possible, and then switch to guns when I am detected, or in smoke/behind cover. I've had a few matches with radar ships, and have not performed very well in them! It may not be the radar (i.e. I'm probably not skilled enough to up-tier very well yet anyway) but should I adapt my style?

Would also be interested in hearing how the CA's etc use their radar to 'best effect' if they are willing to share their secrets! I am planning on grinding to one myself in the future :)

Sorry if it's a bit of a generalised question!

also, is there any way of knowing when you are spotted by radar when you also are spotted visually? i.e. I get spotted by a DD, exchange a few shots/torps etc, then i smoke up to break-off and reposition and then find I'm still spotted by his friendly CA's radar!?

[CATS]
Players
14,629 posts
10,863 battles

Radar ships are rare for you (Belfast, Atlanta, Indianapolis).

• Check the enemies rooster if they have radar ships
  • Most radar ships are spotted in time
  • be very careful with caps that have islands near enemies side
  • start turning before entering a cap
  • when radared, turn away and activate speedboost, do not shoot
  • Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Don't smoke the moment you enter a cap. You need to be able see what's coming. 

Always have a way out 

Check the team lineup at the start for Radar ships, remember their range. Check if they are in a division. If and keep an eye on the division members as well (they are usually together) 

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
420 posts
1,772 battles
21 minutes ago, stewie533 said:

Don't smoke the moment you enter a cap. You need to be able see what's coming.

Thanks for the reminder - although tbh, I learnt not to do that pretty quick. KM smoke isn't amazing in duration - I tend to use it as a 'get out of jail free' card when I find myself in an uncomfortable position (normally because I get too aggressive!). In caps (at least, without having the hydro that comes with higher tiers...) I find it more of a hinderance!

24 minutes ago, stewie533 said:

Check the team lineup at the start for Radar ships, remember their range. Check if they are in a division. If and keep an eye on the division members as well (they are usually together) 

Good point re the divisions - basically a big red danger flag if you know to look out for it. Will add it to my pre-launch checklist :Smile_honoring:

Would it make sense to 'team up' (not division, just to stay near,) with a friendly radar ship (if you have one) to help mitigate the risk, or is that a bit too reliant on team play (which is normally either great (1 in 30 battles) or non-existent)!?

[SQRL]
Players
93 posts
10,659 battles

As others have said until all the radar ships have been spotted avoid the caps, and always have a plan to get the hell out of there - in the event someone sneaks up. Even something as simple as pointing in the right direction to gain distance will help.

[SQRL]
Players
93 posts
10,659 battles

As others have said until all the radar ships have been spotted avoid the caps, and always have a plan to get the hell out of there - in the event someone sneaks up. Even something as simple as pointing in the right direction to gain distance will help.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

Thanks for the reminder - although tbh, I learnt not to do that pretty quick. KM smoke isn't amazing in duration - I tend to use it as a 'get out of jail free' card when I find myself in an uncomfortable position (normally because I get too aggressive!). In caps (at least, without having the hydro that comes with higher tiers...) I find it more of a hinderance!

Good point re the divisions - basically a big red danger flag if you know to look out for it. Will add it to my pre-launch checklist :Smile_honoring:

Would it make sense to 'team up' (not division, just to stay near,) with a friendly radar ship (if you have one) to help mitigate the risk, or is that a bit too reliant on team play (which is normally either great (1 in 30 battles) or non-existent)!?

Nah, don't rely to much on others as a dd. You are a strong independent wo...Ship that don't need no ma...radar. 

But if you feel like you should, then by all means. But in my experience, relying on allies as a dd gets you killed. 

Do assist and protect when possible. Because team play wins games, but don't rely on them 

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,382 posts
13,789 battles
5 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

also, is there any way of knowing when you are spotted by radar when you also are spotted visually?

The only way of knowing is to get unspotted with e.g. smoke.

It helps to know the individual radar ranges of ships and keeping an eye out for them on the minimap. If you're in radar range while you're being spotted you can basically assume that you will be radar'd as soon as your enemy loses visual contact, so don't waste your smoke and just haul your aft away from the enemy as fast as you can.

• Cool 1

Players
649 posts
2,307 battles

The radar/hydro detection icon is different from the regular detection icon and should have preference over ship/plane detection. I do not think it works properly (the preference order that is) so you only way to find out is to smoke up :-((

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
5 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

The radar/hydro detection icon is different from the regular detection icon and should have preference over ship/plane detection. I do not think it works properly (the preference order that is) so you only way to find out is to smoke up :-((

Or break line of sight or stealth up. 

Having an island in between you and a radar ship is also a good way to avoid being shot 

Players
649 posts
2,307 battles
1 minute ago, stewie533 said:

Having an island in between you and a radar ship is also a good way to avoid being shot 

Well you will not avoid detection :-) Stealthing up also does not avoid radar ... And most of times there are multiple enemy ships in range from different directions ...

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
24 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

Well you will not avoid detection :-) Stealthing up also does not avoid radar ... And most of times there are multiple enemy ships in range from different directions ...

Wel, If you stealth up then you will only see the radar icon. That helps you avoid wasting smoke. 

And sure, you can't always get behind an island that Shields you from all enemies. But no tactic works in 100% of cases. I am just adding to a toolbox of tactics so they can pick and choose the best one in a certain situation. 

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
579 posts
11,020 battles
20 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

Thanks @ColonelPete

Was about to ask how to learn more about it... then remembered http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar is my friend :Smile_hiding:

I have that chart printed out and it sits next to my monitor and I ALWAYS check the opposing teams ships against it before the battle starts.

• Cool 1

Players
118 posts
2,950 battles

I think Payfast(Belfast) and Atlanta are the only radar ships at tier 7 (which is max battle tier you can normally get in with T-22).

You have to learn which ships do(or can)  have radar. Knowing ranges and times (in general terms) is quite important as well.

For example American radar lasts a lot longer than Russian one.

Radar ships in general try to pick cover islands near caps where they can then safely use radar to spot for others. Pay attention to where those radar ships went (they or their radar use eventually get spotted) and go where they aren’t.

Personally if I don’t know if there’s a radar ship in my area I try to be very close to hard cover. If the area is tight and hard to maneuver in I will turn and sail into the cap backwards with my finger on the “speed boost” and ready to run like hell.

The worst position you can find yourself in is sailing full speed directly towards the radar which means it’ll take a long time to get unspotted… if at all.

Don’t shoot at the radar ship (if you see it) unless you can kill it in a few salvos (or you’ll die anyway). Firing will just keep you spotted even after the radar is gone.

Similar behaviour applies to avoiding sonar ships but sonar is very short range comparatively even if it lasts a lot longer.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
420 posts
1,772 battles
21 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

check the opposing teams ships against it before the battle starts

and this is the embarrassing bit...

I looked back over the replay of the game that triggered this question. There was no radar ship in the opposite team :Smile_facepalm:! It was my friendly Atlanta (which I knew was running radar - he was alerting met to where the others were), so it was just my dumb play and resulting failure to smoke up soon enough and generally play cautiously enough.

Ah well, we live(irl anyway :Smile_smile:) and learn! Thanks for all the titbits folks - and I hope for your sanity's sake you don't meet me in-game!

[W-C]
Players
420 posts
1,772 battles
2 minutes ago, TekumzeWolf said:

Radar ships in general try to pick cover islands near caps where they can then safely use radar to spot for others. Pay attention to where those radar ships went (they or their radar use eventually get spotted) and go where they aren’t.

:cap_like: makes sense - will watch for that.

3 minutes ago, TekumzeWolf said:

I think Payfast(Belfast) is the only radar ships at tier 7

plus Atlanta and Indianapolis it would seem :fish_book:

Players
118 posts
2,950 battles

Ya I forgot about Atlanta.. added it to my original post... Indianapolis I never even seen in battle so I didn't even know.. lol

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
5 minutes ago, TekumzeWolf said:

I think Payfast(Belfast) is the only radar ships at tier 7 (which is max battle tier you can normally get in with T-22).

No, Atlanta (8,5km) and Indianapolis (9,9km) also have radar. 

[POI--]
Players
3,853 posts
5,006 battles
20 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

No DD should smoke up when capping and still being unspotted or unsure about enemies around. already at lower tiers, all you do is waste a smoke, deny yourself vision, become the #1 torpedo target and if things get really bad, you get hydro'd. So, not KM-specific.

2 hours ago, stewie533 said:

Having an island is an option. In general, if you approach a cap and expect the enemy radar to be there, either don't do it, or you look for ways to escape getting shot at. Maps like Haven or Trident can allow to just enter a cap circle and position yourself in a way that makes it easy to bail if you get radar-spotted behind an island. If you are not alone (which you should not be anyway), the radar will keep you spotted till it runs out, but enemies cannot take shots at you, so you just have to wait till it runs out. Can be a good way to waste enemy radar, especially the Russian long range, short duration radar. And once radar runs out, you can just continue your work for 2 minutes, unless there's more radar ships. I'd say, don't be reckless with it, but this is typically a nice way to bait radar and in some situations, you could actually sit in the cap still and contest it for the 20 seconds. Then, you better make sure to not get rushed though, else you have no way of getting out.

• Cool 1